Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So WA is going to report a 1 billion dollar deficit and the ALP opposition is like we warned you about relying on iron ore bro, we told you man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

"Crackdown on welfare"

What the gently caress is a crackdown on welfare?

Cyborg cops beating up the competing gangs of students, poors, the disabled and old age pensioners.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

So WA is going to report a 1 billion dollar deficit and the ALP opposition is like we warned you about relying on iron ore bro, we told you man.

We're never going to get new public transport in this loving state. :(

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

cpaf posted:

I also like it how Morrison had just managed to legislate himself into an immigration demigod and Tony strips him of his portfolio

This, the move to the Social Services portfolio is clearly to rob Morrison of any steam to aim for leadership. He's facing a hostile senate that's proven very difficult to pass any Social/Human Services legislation through and the stunt with having children call Muir is going to cost him big. The average Australian yobbo might not care about what happens to "dem browns" but as more and more Australians fall below the poverty line, you're hitting a very sizable voter base there. Jobseekers are one of the smallest areas where welfare fraud occurs, but you won't catch them going after boomers who are falsely declaring assets to cheat DHS (by far the largest portion of welfare fraud).

Dutton is going to get murdered as Immigration Minister. He was pretty much a no-person as Health Minister and let Hockey and Cormann deal with selling the co-payment which went oh so well.

Abbott aligning himself more with Hockey and saying they are the best economical partnership is hilarious after watching Hockey bumble like a total git for the last year and a half, managing to look embarassed and outwitted in every interview he's given.

As for Kevin Andrews, lolololololol, you could replace him with a cardboard cutout and no one would notice.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I know exactly how Morrison could sell his welfare crack downs

Scott Morrison posted:

As we have seen year in and year out that these welfare recipients have been sucking billions of dollars from the government teat. We need to stop this.

As you all know by now the bludgers among us are taking a free ride will not working hard enough to keep the Australian economy strong and growing. This is why today we're announcing an end to government handouts to business. If they can take all this money and not even have enough jobs for everyone in Australia who wants to work then we'll stop giving them handouts to encourage them to work harder to create jobs.

It's time we stop the rorting of Australia.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GoldStandardConure posted:

We're never going to get new public transport in this loving state. :(

At least your rail lines are electrified, right?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Whenever I'm feeling depressed about living in the US I come to this thread to cheer myself up. It's good to know that there are better places in the world that are rapidly getting worse! :unsmigghh:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

Cyborg cops beating up the competing gangs of students, poors, the disabled and old age pensioners.

Honestly that sounds far to work for Morrsion. Far easier to just declare unemployment is now at 0% for reasons not discussable, because security something something. After that all you need to is padlock the Welfare offices. Shut downs the website and phone lines, and there you just permanently solved Australia 'welfare problem'.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzSxCOsKDNs

Our friends to the south-east continue to rule.

Use this in light of having hope dying to the shuffle. There is hope... to our south-east.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CrazyTolradi posted:

As for Kevin Andrews, lolololololol, you could replace him with a cardboard cutout and no one would notice.

Kevin Andrews is a spiteful, malicious fuckwit and it'd be really cool if he fell into a volcano or something.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kevin Andrews is a spiteful, malicious fuckwit and it'd be really cool if he fell into a volcano or something.

Given his religious views it would probably still be a virgin sacrifice.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

I was thinking earlier it'd be so easy to get on twitter and stir poo poo up over the next week about leadership speculation and their chances at the next election because today their best performing minister was demoted and Hockey is still treasurer.

Is interesting to wonder how much it would take to get the aus media ppenly speculating about a spill.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Nuclear Spy posted:

I'm pretty sure Ruddock is still in parliament, here is a recent photo:

Ruddock didn't boycott the apology! It was Mirabella, Dutton, Dennis Jensen, Alby Schulz and Don Randall.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The picture however, remains accurate

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Reminder that Howard promised a crackdown on welfare only for reports to show pensioners were the highest group of abusers. It was all quietly shelved.

Of course this time they skipped any pretence of investigation and just launched their own ideological cuts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I can't wait for the brain drain to happen and for the future PM to wonder what the gently caress happened to our IT, Arts and Science motivations.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It's already happened. If you look at a lot of the Chinese companies making a killing in solar at the moment Australian scientists fill their R&D departments. I think there’s a couple in high positions too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There's no doubt it's in motion but I think there will be atleast another wave of Australian innovators before the Coalition destroys it and sends them all the the mines.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I wanted to make music a career and also not eat dust for the rest of my life but capitalism already ruined that, not Australia.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

i got banned posted:

I wanted to make music a career and also not eat dust for the rest of my life but capitalism already ruined that, not Australia.

Huh? Capitalism didn't ruin squat. Join or start a ban and play at pubs.

Just don't expect to make money as a recording artist. The 20th century was a blip on the radar for that as a revenue stream.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I would have thought it's perhaps easier to make money as a musician today. There’s so many avenues for exposure that weren’t available decades ago. Gotta be easier to get pub gigs if you can go in saying yeah, I have 20k likes on FB.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Anidav posted:

I can't wait for the brain drain to happen and for the future PM to wonder what the gently caress happened to our IT, Arts and Science motivations.

As someone who is going to graduate in the field of Science soon, I hope I can find a job overseas because gently caress our anti-science government.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
yeah I was being kinda facetious, the old system was awful and having that smashed and the industry open to basically anyone now makes having your stuff heard so much easier.

Still having a creative thing that is enjoyed subjectively and that you basically have to be a sales rep for to eat and not die isn't ideal either.

But I'm a nihilistic gently caress and I have plenty of friends that make money from music so

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Get a job in the NFP sector. It's like the new dole.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A couple of goons that work in the Australian military assure me that it is in fact, the new dole. 80k year to be a dog handler, which essentially involves getting to play with a German Shepard for a few hours then sitting around all day.

The only musician I know that makes a living off it plays corporate gigs and weddings in conjunction with lessons. He's a pretty cool chill dude.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Matthew Beet posted:

Get a job in the NFP sector. It's like the new dole.

I wish. Everyone seems to be getting laid off in the NFP sector at the moment. :(

At least in the organisations I usually come in to contact with. Maybe there's like some that are doing well. But yeah Federal grants having been getting smaller or just plan ceasing since the GFC. State grants would obviously depend on the state, but I assume most have had some cuts as well.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

i got banned posted:

Still having a creative thing that is enjoyed subjectively and that you basically have to be a sales rep for to eat and not die isn't ideal either.

That's pretty much par for the course for any self employed services business though, especially if you intend to hold creative control. Balancing winning work against doing (billable) work is always the hardest part, especially because it results in bumpy revenue streams which can be stressful.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

New immigration minister Peter Dutton known for being only LNP member to boycott Kevin Rudd's apology to stolen generation in 2008. Sounds like a great man.

Obviously he believes in immigration then :haw:

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
You fuckers who doubted Tonys efforts as minister for women, and were asking what hes actually done for women? Humble Pie time!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...221-12bw42.html

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has declared the repeal of the carbon tax as his biggest contribution for women in 2014.

During a Monday morning interview on the Today Show to promote his cabinet reshuffle, Mr Abbott was asked by host Lisa Wilkinson to nominate his top achievement in his capacity as Minister for Women.

"Well, you know, it is very important to do the right thing by families and households," Mr Abbott replied. "As many of us know, women are particularly focused on the household budget and the repeal of the carbon tax means a $550 a year benefit for the average family."

Mr Abbott also spruiked his "fair dinkum" paid parental leave scheme, which he promised would be introduced to the Parliament in 2015. However, doubts remain about whether the Prime Minister's pet project will pass the Senate, or even receive the support of a hostile Liberal partyroom.

Mr Abbott also said he was proud to elevate a number of women in Sunday's reshuffle. NSW MP Sussan Ley will now be the second woman in his cabinet after taking charge of the Health and Sport portfolios. Victorian MP Kelly O'Dwyer was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer, and Queensland MP Karen Andrews was made Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Industry and Science.

In a later interview on Sunrise, Mr Abbott was forced to defend the level of female representation in government after host Natalie Barr asked if the Prime Minister that "with thirty per cent of women in your government aren't you a little bit embarrassed that you only have two women on your frontbench?".

"We have actually seven women on the frontbench, Mr Abbott said. "We have got two cabinet ministers, two outer ministry ministers and three parliamentary secretarys so look, there are women in the corridors of power. This will become more and more the case. The challenge for all of us, Nat, is to get more women into public life, more women into the Parliament [and] once we have got more women in the Parliament, we will have more women in the ministry and more women in the cabinet."

There was speculation Mr Abbott may have used the reshuffle to hand his responsibilities as Minister for Women to a female minister, however that did not happen.

:smuggo:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

quote:

As many of us know, women are particularly focused on the household budget

woosh

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Well they've got to have something to think about while doing the ironing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://m.smh.com.au/national/public-service/department-of-human-services-spends-500000-on-legal-fees-fighting-6000-child-support-dispute-20141221-12agd6.html posted:

The Department of Human Services has spent more than half-a-million dollars of taxpayers' money in legal fees fighting a child support dispute over $6000.

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon says the case is a "scandalous waste of taxpayers' money … to protect the butt of the department".

Now the department, which runs the Child Support Agency and Centrelink, has hired more high-end lawyers to try to block the release of information on its own conduct in the matter, exposing taxpayers to up to a million dollars in legal and other costs.

Child Support Agency bosses have spent the money despite knowing, since August 2011, that their public servants broke the law in the man's case and were on shaky legal ground from the beginning of the dispute.

DHS has been ordered by the government's information watchdog to hand over a briefing it prepared for its minister, along with other documents, but the department has hired top-end lawyers Clayton Utz to fight the decision of the Australian Privacy Commissioner.

Do you know more? Send your confidential tips to ps@canberratimes.com.au

Throughout the three-year legal battle with the father, a determined litigant known simply as "DT" because of strict Family Court rules on identifying parties, Human Services have tried to resist handing over documents to the court and defied orders to release information to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.

Transparency and accountability at Human Services, the government's largest department, has been under fire since a report by the Australian Information Commissioner revealed an organisation obsessed with process, that preferred legalese to plain English and had increasingly lost sight of its duty to share information.

As of April this year, DHS had paid more than $500,000 to defend the DT case and refuses to say what has been spent since.

The department refused this week to say how much taxpayers' money was being paid to Clayton Utz for the latest legal manoeuvre but a spokeswoman insisted the department was justified in another round of legal action to keep documents suppressed.

"Matters are generally appealed to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal where the decision being appealed contains an error of fact or an error of law," the spokesman said.

"As this matter is subject to ongoing litigation, the department will not be providing further comment at this time."

Senator Nick Xenophon has been trying to use the Senate Estimates process to get answers on the spending on the case, but his questions have been taken on notice, with Human Services then refusing to answer, citing "confidentiality".

"This is bureaucracy gone mad and now they're refusing to answer how much has been involved," Senator Xenophon said.

"Taxpayers should expect a better response than this, they are hiding behind confidentiality and it seems a cowardly way to avoid accountability.

"This seems to be a scandalous waste of taxpayers' money for no good effect other than to protect the butt of the department."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Les Affaires posted:

Huh? Capitalism didn't ruin squat. Join or start a ban and play at pubs.

Heh

Box Hill Strangler posted:

You fuckers who doubted Tonys efforts as minister for women, and were asking what hes actually done for women? Humble Pie time!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...221-12bw42.html

:smuggo:
Jesus, they might as well get a VCR and have it running on repeat with Abbott's spiel "Stopped the boat, cut the carbon tax, and killed the mining tax"

Heh, butts :butt:

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

A couple of goons that work in the Australian military assure me that it is in fact, the new dole. 80k year to be a dog handler, which essentially involves getting to play with a German Shepard for a few hours then sitting around all day.

The only musician I know that makes a living off it plays corporate gigs and weddings in conjunction with lessons. He's a pretty cool chill dude.
Join a military band. One of my former teachers was in the navy band and only quit because they changed the rules to mean she was going to have to go out to sea.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well, consider the job he's done from the LNPs perspective - he's turned immigration into a black hole where no information comes in or out. He's utterly demonised the poor and desperate. He's has done all this and is now considered so popular that he was seriously considered for a super-portfolio.

If you want to destroy welfare and make the people cheer, who better to send?

People like Scott Morrison making GBS threads on brown people in asylum, they do not like Scott Morrison. There's a difference.

hiddenmovement posted:

Combat Engineers get to play with dogs, there are a lot of engineers and not a lot of dogs. Your chances of getting a cruisy dog job is very very slim.
Military Police also get to play with dogs, there are not a lot of MPs because every other serviceman and woman hates you. And your dog.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

tithin posted:

"Transparency and accountability at Human Services, the government's largest department, has been under fire since a report by the Australian Information Commissioner revealed an organisation obsessed with process, that preferred legalese to plain English and had increasingly lost sight of its duty to share information."

Well, I'm sure the new minister will put that right ...

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Anidav posted:

There's no doubt it's in motion but I think there will be atleast another wave of Australian innovators before the Coalition destroys it and sends them all the the mines.

That ship has sailed for now, despite Abbott believing coal will continue to light the way for the Australian economy for the decades to come - it will and it won't, mining runs in cycles and we haven't seen the end of this trough and probably won't for a few years, barring some unforeseen external event (GFC style China building mass infrastructure projects to stimulate growth etc).

Investment in mining continues to dwindle as we are in the production phase as the various mining companies in both iron ore and coal aim to produce record tonnages, at the lowest possible cost and whichever companies are left standing at the end of the current round of lovely commodity prices "win" until the next cycle of investment starts and we do it all again.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nuclear Spy posted:

I'm pretty sure Ruddock is still in parliament, here is a recent photo:

He keeps coming back, the only way to get rid of him once and for all is to destroy his phylactery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Kommando posted:

People like Scott Morrison making GBS threads on brown people in asylum, they do not like Scott Morrison. There's a difference.

Combat Engineers get to play with dogs, there are a lot of engineers and not a lot of dogs. Your chances of getting a cruisy dog job is very very slim.
Military Police also get to play with dogs, there are not a lot of MPs because every other serviceman and woman hates you. And your dog.

This proves how awful military people are, only a monster could hate a dog. Hell, even Hitler probably liked dogs.

• Locked thread