Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

He keeps coming back, the only way to get rid of him once and for all is to destroy his phylactery.

In a surprise twist, his phylactery is his Amnesty International lapel pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

This proves how awful military people are, only a monster could hate a dog. Hell, even Hitler probably liked dogs.

He did, he had nein.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

This proves how awful military people are, only a monster could hate a dog. Hell, even Hitler probably liked dogs.

He did, even though he ended up killing Blondie

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

hiddenmovement posted:

He did, even though he ended up killing Blondie

Probably for the best, he wouldn't have gotten a fair trial.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tithin posted:

The Department of Human Services has spent more than half-a-million dollars of taxpayers' money in legal fees fighting a child support dispute over $6000.

Something something, crackdown on those welfare cheats.

You Am I posted:

Heh, butts :butt:

I went cloud... wait no, butts.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

You're missing the point of it all. It's designed to sit there and let you know exactly what sort of role you should take if we ever have mandatory military service here. Hated by the military industrial complex AND you get to play with dogs? Sign me the gently caress up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Tony Abbott has declared the repeal of the carbon tax as his greatest achievement for women while in office.

A day after elevating a second woman to the federal cabinet, offering Sussan Ley the health ministry, Abbott was asked on Nine’s Today show to name his greatest contribution as the minister for women.

“Well, you know, it is very important to do the right thing by families and households,” Abbott said. “As many of us know, women are particularly focused on the household budget and the repeal of the carbon tax means a $550 a year benefit for the average family.”

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Guys, the PM is stuck again, someone go and hit his reset button.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Les Affaires posted:

Huh? Capitalism didn't ruin squat. Join or start a ban and play at pubs.

Just don't expect to make money as a recording artist. The 20th century was a blip on the radar for that as a revenue stream.
OK here's a few realities.

There are vastly fewer venues hiring vastly fewer bands, generally for massively lower fees (Pay for shows {Ala the US} are even on the rise). Drink driving enforcement, Noise enforcement, Security (RSA) requirements, and a rise in home based entertainment all sapped the audience.

While there are a huge number of new channels for exposure the reality is people are downloading and watching Nikki MInja and Ta Ta and all the other major label promoted acts rather than the enormous selection of independents they have access to. The broad platform revolution hasn't happened.

There has not been a worse time to attempt to be a professional musician in my memory (I started working professionally in the 70s).

The Terrorgraph don't think it's the Pensioners he's going to sort out.

Clearly being targeted are disability pensioners. I'm of the view that the disability support pension is being used to try and fill the gap in our mental health services. This is based on the way I have seen GPs give people an exit from the grinding harassment and degradation of the existing social security system. Given the lack of access to mental health services otherwise available I can only see this 'crack down' leading to fuller prisons. :bravo:

I'm a little concerned at people using the abbreviation for social Security and SS and then going with Nazi gags. I fear that this may backfire spectacularly. SS is a good thing. We need it.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Cartoon posted:

OK here's a few realities.

There are vastly fewer venues hiring vastly fewer bands, generally for massively lower fees (Pay for shows {Ala the US} are even on the rise). Drink driving enforcement, Noise enforcement, Security (RSA) requirements, and a rise in home based entertainment all sapped the audience.

The trend for some councils going to late night lock outs isn't going to help either.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't imagine our urban planning really helps the music scene. People who live in the suburbs have to drive, so they can't drink, which probably isn't good for the venues.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

It's a cultural shift too. Many of the band pubs in Melbourne just arent being frequented like they used to and in many cases are far less popular then their immediate neighbours. The Tote and The Bendigo in Collingwood are very quiet. But the foodie scene around the corner in Smith st is absolutely flying. There are some exceptions, like the Penny Black and that one on the corner of Napier st in Footscray, but I kinda get the impression people arent that big on live music anymore.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Why bother going out for music when there's Youtube/Soundcloud?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was in a band for 4 years and the biggest thing that pissed me off was cover charges. I wanted to do shows with no cover charge, with either cut of the bar or play for free. Apparently venues dont like this idea, because then if no one comes the bar is run at a loss. Which also happens to be the problem when you want to charge people $15 to get into the venue in the first place.

The amount of extra people you get coming along to check out the bands playing when the venue has no cover charge is well worth it. Our biggest shows were the free ones (not including supporting international acts)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I suppose they'll start running those old Dob in a Dole Bludger comercials again?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

katlington posted:

I suppose they'll start running those old Dob in a Dole Bludger comercials again?

How are you even supposed to identify a dole bludger? I guess there are people stupid enough to say "yeah nah I'm not looking for work" but...other than that, the only criterion for being a dole bludger is:
a) Are they on the dole?

soon to be augmented with

b) are they not spending literally every waking moment looking for a job?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Laserface posted:

I was in a band for 4 years and the biggest thing that pissed me off was cover charges. I wanted to do shows with no cover charge, with either cut of the bar or play for free. Apparently venues dont like this idea, because then if no one comes the bar is run at a loss. Which also happens to be the problem when you want to charge people $15 to get into the venue in the first place.

I was in Melbourne last weekend and commented how good the Espy was in that there was a band on and people went for the sake of it being a bar that happened to have live msic on that bands could cut their teeth in.

Then on Tuesday I was at the Sando in Sydney and they wanted $12 for me to watch a band I've never heard of and would only have bothered with if they were on in the background for free.

Enjoy the $120 made on the door, bookers!!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

hiddenmovement posted:

It's a cultural shift too. Many of the band pubs in Melbourne just arent being frequented like they used to and in many cases are far less popular then their immediate neighbours. The Tote and The Bendigo in Collingwood are very quiet. But the foodie scene around the corner in Smith st is absolutely flying. There are some exceptions, like the Penny Black and that one on the corner of Napier st in Footscray, but I kinda get the impression people arent that big on live music anymore.

Really? The Corner, the Reverence, a whole heap of places not in hipsterville Collingwood are booming, Melbourne has made moves to protect live music seeing as it brings in 100s of millions into the economy.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Why bother going out for music when there's Youtube/Soundcloud?

Kewl life man

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Brisbane loving sucks, 20 dollar entry free to see a shoe staring teenager play guitar. gently caress off music scene I wanna drink. Some of my friends go to The Zoo I the Valley but they charge 50 bucks entry fee for live music REGARDLESS OF THE QUALITY OF THE BAND. A STANDARD CHARGE. But some people are like, gotta support the music scene in Brissy maaan. You're not, you're keeping a shithole bar afloat.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

Brisbane loving sucks, 20 dollar entry free to see a shoe staring teenager play guitar. gently caress off music scene I wanna drink. Some of my friends go to The Zoo I the Valley but they charge 50 bucks entry fee for live music REGARDLESS OF THE QUALITY OF THE BAND. A STANDARD CHARGE. But some people are like, gotta support the music scene in Brissy maaan. You're not, you're keeping a shithole bar afloat.

Wait.. $50 cover charge for just some local bands?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Correct.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Who the gently caress goes to the Zoo to see local music.

Ric's is where it's at yo.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Going to the Valley is a sure fire way to get glassed. West End is a lot more chill.

$50 cover fees is bullshit though, and at the end of the day the band probably only sees a small amount of that.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

Wait.. $50 cover charge for just some local bands?

Anidav is full of poo poo. The zoo gets international indie darlings etc. that charge north of fifty bucks but most gigs are between ten and fifteen dollars.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Monday night at the Grace Emily in Adelaide is where it's at.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Anyone feel like a math test to rub in LNP voter's faces?

This is a survery being done by an ANU Master's student, so ignore the first page (that makes it look like it'll tell you your dog's ideal twilight fanfic).

http://bit.ly/1wJLk9x

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

50 is high, don't care who they are.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Brisbane loving sucks, 20 dollar entry free vote to see a shoe staring teenager play guitar veer right. gently caress off music scene ALP I wanna drink not degenerate into a neoliberal shithole. Some of my friends go to The Zoo I the Valley ALP meetings but they charge 50 bucks entry fee for live music keep torturing asylum seekers REGARDLESS OF THE QUALITY OF THE BAND POLICY. A STANDARD CHARGE POLICY. But some people are like, gotta support change the music scene ALP in Brissy maaan. You're not, you're keeping a shithole bar Party afloat.

For Content:

Poor Sloppy Joe,
Set up to fall,
Cabinet reshuffled,
Still holding the ball.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Sanguine posted:

Anyone feel like a math test to rub in LNP voter's faces?

This is a survery being done by an ANU Master's student, so ignore the first page (that makes it look like it'll tell you your dog's ideal twilight fanfic).

http://bit.ly/1wJLk9x

It does look a lot like quizilla circa 2005.

e: 75.4...I haven't done actual maths in years! Pretty sure I just brought the Greens average down.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 22, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You're right hooman, I should burn my membership card.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Anidav posted:

You're right hooman, I should burn my membership card.

Keep the knife, though, they'll be worth a fortune in a few years.

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

Mithranderp posted:

e: 75.4...I haven't done actual maths in years! Pretty sure I just brought the Greens average down.
I wouldn't feel too bad, I've tutored many third year university maths students who would do much worse. Also I brought the Green's average back up with 100.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mithranderp posted:

This is why i didn't participate. Or if I do I'll say I vote ALP.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

Really? The Corner, the Reverence, a whole heap of places not in hipsterville Collingwood are booming, Melbourne has made moves to protect live music seeing as it brings in 100s of millions into the economy.

Kewl life man

Yeah the Reverence, that's the one in Footscray I couldnt remember the name of. Those two are slightly different kettles of fish though. The Corner plays fairly large acts, rarely will I drive past The Corner look at the roster and go 'I haven't heard of any of those guys.' When I think of The Corner I lump it in with places like The Palace, The Forum and The Espy. It's not your typical little small time rock n roll place.

The Reverence has a pretty great local music vibe and the people there are well into it, but I think part of its appeal is that there aren't many good pubs to go and have a nice casual pint in that area. Also : Mexican food. I think it's appeal is less live music and more not terrible pub within walking distance (The Station Hotel is also nearby but lets face it no one goes there to drink they go for the steak).

EDIT: I just checked, the Rev have a happy hour between 6-9 where you can 3$ tacos and 3$ beers. You could play sounds of a cat being tortured to death over the pa and I would probably still turn up.

EDIT2: Come to think of it the Penny Black also does ultra cheap tacos on a Friday. Perhaps the secret to supporting Melbourne's live music is cheap mexican food?

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 22, 2014

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

BRISBANE POST-BOXINGDAY GOONMEET

Come huff farts in a festive manner and drink near-use-by eggnog.

Crazytolradi is delegated to organise, since im working through festivus.

pencilled date Monday 29th Dec, maybe sunday.

All in favor say Aye.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 22, 2014

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Also Anidav if a big local act (Smith St Band) or a middle sized foreign act (Titus Andronicus) show up to a venue like that, 50$ is pretty standard and often worth it. It's for fans of the band, not for random punters looking to knock back 18 pints of XXXX and start a brawl.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Kommando posted:

BRISBANE POST-BOXINGDAY GOONMEET

Come huff farts in a festive manner and drink near-use-by eggnog.

Crazytolradi is delegated to organise, since im working through festivus.

pencilled date Monday 29th Dec

All in favor say Aye.

You should have it at the Zoo

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Mithranderp posted:

I'll drag it back up with my 100.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Aye, I will go provided I'm not crucified for my bad posting back when I was mad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Amoeba102 posted:

I'll drag it back up with my 100.

And me back down again with my 77.4. Oh well, p's make degrees or so they say.

• Locked thread