Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

This is a post for Sharrrrrkkk: if you wanna smash tomorrow I got time in the evening EST, if that's good for you.

i should be available, i look forward to this match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Dedede's crouch to roll move is so good. It hits so unexpectedly hard

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I am the owner of a Gamecube controller adapter for Wii U.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Today I learned that Dededes neutral A combo can knock a Ganondorf out of his warlock punch.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

sharrrk posted:

i should be available, i look forward to this match

hey if you want to battle in one hour I am still ready to accept your smash challenge

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

hey if you want to battle in one hour I am still ready to accept your smash challenge

i'm getting dinner at 7:30 but i should be ready at 8, so that should be good unless something unexpected happens

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

okay i'm back from dinner and ready to Fite

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I made a room, I will Try My Best to battle with honor, and respect

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

these are some really good matches, you've gotten some really good kills on me

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

If you can turn the Ganon Paunch consistently, your rate of nailing it will go up by like 50%. People are real silly about rolling through everything.

I always start the punch in the air, turning in mid-air gives you better air control for some reason. But I mostly see people shielding too much rather than rolling, which is odd because shielding didn't feel like much of an annoyance in the earlier games.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

sharrrk posted:

these are some really good matches, you've gotten some really good kills on me

Thanks, likewise! I played my brother on 3DS all weekend so I'm readapting to the GC controller. You've got a strong smash game, I'm having fun!!

e: that kick reaches farther than I thought!!!

Reiley fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 22, 2014

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

grandpa is so strong

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

that stage man

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Godinster posted:

Does the Wii U Pro controller serve as a decent alternative to the GameCube controller? I'm getting this for Xmas and while I'm no Smash Bros Expert, I've played Melee/Brawl enough that I know I definitely couldn't use the Wii controller without getting annoyed. I'm in Canada though and it seems like Walmart is the only retailer getting restock of the adapter, though none in my area have inventory.

Pro controller works just fine. It's pretty much identical to the 3DS layout. If you're used to the GC controller you might have to get used to the fact that the stick is now to the right of the face buttons, but other than that it's mostly okay. I personally prefer the GC controller, though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Counterattacks..... my one weakness.......

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Godinster posted:

Does the Wii U Pro controller serve as a decent alternative to the GameCube controller? I'm getting this for Xmas and while I'm no Smash Bros Expert, I've played Melee/Brawl enough that I know I definitely couldn't use the Wii controller without getting annoyed. I'm in Canada though and it seems like Walmart is the only retailer getting restock of the adapter, though none in my area have inventory.

I prefer it over the Gamecube controller. The general shape is almost identical, so it's comfortable enough. The only real big differences is that the second analogue stick is above the buttons rather than below, the shoulder buttons aren't pressure sensitive (which is an improvement because for the Gamecube controller you need to click the buttons all the way in for it to register) and the rumble feels like it has less...omph. Oh, and it's usually carbon black or ivory white, so it will proudly display all of your fingerprints all over it. Oh, and when I got it, it was $50. That's a minus.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Come.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think I have one last one in me and then I have to call it quits

okay gg!! those were fun, i feel like I learned a couple things

Reiley fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 22, 2014

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ok, i'll power up for this one

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

pikachu is fun to play against. you're a good opponent, let's fight again sometime!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

sharrrk posted:

pikachu is fun to play against. you're a good opponent, let's fight again sometime!

Yeah any time let me know, I have to work on my defensive game I think, I keep blocking at times where block doesn't come out, and I'm not spot dodging enough. I won't have you try and shame me on my own dude, though. That I won't abide.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

yeah i hadn't really played pikachu much since the demo. i think he's a fun character but he doesn't quite mesh with how i play. wanted to give it a try anyway tho

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

I always start the punch in the air, turning in mid-air gives you better air control for some reason. But I mostly see people shielding too much rather than rolling, which is odd because shielding didn't feel like much of an annoyance in the earlier games.

It is so easy to perfect shield in this game that it is the best option you have available.

Rolls can be punished, air dodges can be predicted, but shields are so lenient in this with their durability and ease of perfect shield timing that it makes it the best defensive option by far, and the best shields have ever been.

This has the side effect of heavily rewarding defensive play and defensive tactics over making big plays, and punishing attempts at offense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope that the 3DS version stages get ported to Wii U as a DLC pack...I love Smash 4, but in terms of stages, 3DS has way more that I'm enthusiastic about playing on than the Wii U version. Magicant and Mute City are the obvious standouts, but I like Find Mii's gimmick, and the Kirby Dream Land and Tortimer Island stages are favorites of mine.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

jivjov posted:

I really hope that the 3DS version stages get ported to Wii U as a DLC pack...I love Smash 4, but in terms of stages, 3DS has way more that I'm enthusiastic about playing on than the Wii U version. Magicant and Mute City are the obvious standouts, but I like Find Mii's gimmick, and the Kirby Dream Land and Tortimer Island stages are favorites of mine.

It was stated explicitly that they wouldn't be ported over. You could try filling the hole in your heart with Custom Stages, but it's just not the same...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Theta Zero posted:

It was stated explicitly that they wouldn't be ported over. You could try filling the hole in your heart with Custom Stages, but it's just not the same...

When was that stated? I know Sakurai said that the stage selection focused primarily on handheld games for 3DS and console titles for Wii U, and the each game would have mostly unique states...but I never saw anything saying "and we will never port the 3DS stages to Wii U in the future". Unless you're just referring to "the only DLC we're working on is Mewtwo" thing, which, again, is just saying 'that's true at the moment, things could change'

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

jivjov posted:

When was that stated? I know Sakurai said that the stage selection focused primarily on handheld games for 3DS and console titles for Wii U, and the each game would have mostly unique states...but I never saw anything saying "and we will never port the 3DS stages to Wii U in the future". Unless you're just referring to "the only DLC we're working on is Mewtwo" thing, which, again, is just saying 'that's true at the moment, things could change'

No, no. Although I do agree with you on the "only DLC we're working on is Mewtwo" thing. I read it here.

Edit: Oh wait. That has nothing to do with the stages being ported over. Duh. Sorry, I was wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Porting the 3DS stages would be the perfect DLC pack to put out. All the design work is done, and all the Smash 4 AI runs on the stages already. Just upscale the assets, have a disclaimer that the stages weren't originally designed for full HD (because the Wii U version LOOKS LIKE THIS! after all) and there's an instant $9.99 pack to sell.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

jivjov posted:

Porting the 3DS stages would be the perfect DLC pack to put out. All the design work is done, and all the Smash 4 AI runs on the stages already. Just upscale the assets, have a disclaimer that the stages weren't originally designed for full HD (because the Wii U version LOOKS LIKE THIS! after all) and there's an instant $9.99 pack to sell.

They're already selling those stages as a $40 pack, and it seems to be selling very well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Reiley posted:

They're already selling those stages as a $40 pack, and it seems to be selling very well.

You know what I meant.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Has Nintendo stated why they've never bothered giving Ganondorf a moveset? In Melee I figured it was like a last minute addition thing "uhhh we're shipping soon, gently caress it just make him a slow falcon" but it's been two games now. C'mon son.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Has Nintendo stated why they've never bothered giving Ganondorf a moveset? In Melee I figured it was like a last minute addition thing "uhhh we're shipping soon, gently caress it just make him a slow falcon" but it's been two games now. C'mon son.

Because Ganondorf is cool as-is.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't know what beta version of the game you're playing but he definitely has a moveset in mine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ganondorf is Sakurai's favorite in smash apparently

That's more or less why he hasn't changed much

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sakurai said something like 'we could change him, but then fans of his current moves would be unhappy, so I left him as-is'.

I mean clearly it's just a design choice by now, even if it's a weird one to stick with. It was originally just a last second thing("hey we could put Ganondorf on Falcon's rig, they're both the same proportions!" Or whatever) but I guess he feels stuck with it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ganondorf is a powerful grandpa and you all should respect him

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
who is the powerful grandma

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Zelda sorta

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

At this point they should just make classic trident pig Ganon a character instead. It would also be cool because then there would be two Links, two Zeldas and two Ganons on the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Macaluso posted:

Start a petition to get Twinrova added as dlc

• Locked thread