Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deteriorata posted:

Hmm, yes. A billionaire who has openly courted Harbaugh for years and spoken within the last month of how he would make a run at Harbaugh if he became available has suddenly clammed up and decided to keep the coach he doesn't want for another year.

This is certainly a meaningless piece of information.

Don't be reasonable now it ruins the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Jim Harbaugh is the 5th winningest coach in NFL history, most winningest active, and the only coach to go to the conference championship game every year in his first three seasons. Carroll went 33-31 before he got fired, and made the playoffs once in 4 years, losing in the wild card round.

Actually he was 27-21 with the Pats and made the playoffs twice in three years. But whatever.

My point is still that I'd doubt if Harbaugh jumped to Michigan he'd immediately be looking for the exit.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If you're willing to accept that Harbaugh values Michigan and its legacy enough to leave the NFL to become its steward, I don't find it unreasonable to then see him as a long-term hire.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adun posted:

Actually he was 27-21 with the Pats and made the playoffs twice in three years. But whatever.

My point is still that I'd doubt if Harbaugh jumped to Michigan he'd immediately be looking for the exit.

He was 6-10 when he coached the Jets for a year and got fired. The playoffs thing is right, I misread. But, he took over a team that went to the Super Bowl the year before, and they did progressively worse every season he was there. The 49ers went from 6-10 before Harbaugh to 13-3 and the NFC championship his first season. They aren't even close to comparable. If Harbaugh goes to Michigan, he will probably stay, because he'd be passing up NFL jobs to do it. And if he's passing up NFL jobs to coach college now, I don't see why he'd feel any differently in a year or two. But that's why I don't think he'll pass up an NFL job, and his camp is just using Michigan to drive up the price.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

quote:

Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there,” he said, “but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in and, when they’re in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t hire them.

--Jim Harbaugh, unwavering admirer of the University of Michigan.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That's such a great statement and I'm glad he said it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

--Jim Harbaugh, unwavering admirer of the University of Michigan.

Man, you got me there. I had never seen that before. I guess Harbaugh's not coming after all.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Great statement then from Harbaugh, and something that I'm going to enjoy seeing him change when he's the head coach at the University of Michigan.

Also, some random bits from Brian Cook:

quote:

- The wife of a current 49ers assistant coach stating that Michigan fans are going to be "real happy about something as soon as the season's over."
- John Elway, who tried to hire Harbaugh in 2011, telling some business associates that Harbaugh to Michigan is "pretty much" a done deal.
- More player grapevine stuff indicating that Harbaugh will announce for Michigan as soon as the 49ers season is over.

https://vine.co/v/OXnJ9D2d9tA

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 22, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This thread reminds me of a few years ago when TexAgs spilled over to TFF. With Det taking the roll of Ryan1991794179517

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thoguh posted:

This thread reminds me of a few years ago when TexAgs spilled over to TFF. With Det taking the roll of Ryan1991794179517

Except I have a bad habit of being right about these things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
In the "we were always at war with Eurasia" kind of way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

In the "we were always at war with Eurasia" kind of way.

Two Thousand Minutes Hate

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Deteriorata posted:

Except I have a bad habit of being right about these things.

OKay there Witz junior.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Like it's not that far out of the realm of possibility that Harbaugh ends up at Michigan, I don't think any of us have really said that -- what we've said is that you're literally just making up stuff to fit your story with no real proof behind it and you've tried to act like that super convoluted kabuki shadow game is somehow a simpler solution than: Michigan wants Jim, Jim is interested but hasn't made up his mind and is kind of waiting to see what the NFL can offer him first, Michigan feels reasonably secure they can get him, because to admit otherwise is a major boondoggle and feels sure they can get option 2 if they have too.

But again, whatever makes you feel better Det.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Realtalk: Kabuki is apparently a Japanese Dance-drama known for the elaborate makeup worn by its performers. I learned something today.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Beating all of you to this joke, but the Tokugawa Shogunate was in fact the last time was relevant as a football power

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I did a Google Image Search for "Michigan Man". This was the third result.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
well radical islamists generally do cling to the past

We can confirm it if they jangle keys at public stonings

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like it's not that far out of the realm of possibility that Harbaugh ends up at Michigan, I don't think any of us have really said that -- what we've said is that you're literally just making up stuff to fit your story with no real proof behind it and you've tried to act like that super convoluted kabuki shadow game is somehow a simpler solution than: Michigan wants Jim, Jim is interested but hasn't made up his mind and is kind of waiting to see what the NFL can offer him first, Michigan feels reasonably secure they can get him, because to admit otherwise is a major boondoggle and feels sure they can get option 2 if they have too.

But again, whatever makes you feel better Det.

Perhaps this will make it a bit clearer as to why Harbaugh would want to keep things on the down low:

quote:

Brady Hoke received his first Division I job as the Western Michigan defensive line coach in 1984 and moved into an office with another recently hired coach in his first Div. I gig -- John Harbaugh. Both played in the Mid-American Conference -- Hoke at Ball State and Harbaugh at Miami (Ohio). Of similar age and ambition, they became fast friends.

"We would compete in a lot of different things, basketball during lunch and maybe who would get in the office earlier," Hoke said. "John never would beat me."

As their friendship bloomed, the three constantly learned from Jack. They saw the implementation of drills and how he dealt with his players.

Hoke is very close to the whole Harbaugh family and they absolutely did not want to be seen as chasing Brady out of his job. Talk of Harbaugh coming back to Michigan has been going since last spring, when it was clear the players in SF wanted him gone.

Jim Hackett played at Michigan when Jack was an assistant coach and has remained close to the family since. Given his lack of experience as an athletic director, his hiring as an interim makes no sense outside of his relationship to the family.

There are plenty of other data points out there that make the dots even easier to connect.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps this will make it a bit clearer as to why Harbaugh would want to keep things on the down low:

Hoke is very close to the whole Harbaugh family and they absolutely did not want to be seen as chasing Brady out of his job. Talk of Harbaugh coming back to Michigan has been going since last spring, when it was clear the players in SF wanted him gone.

Jim Hackett played at Michigan when Jack was an assistant coach and has remained close to the family since. Given his lack of experience as an athletic director, his hiring as an interim makes no sense outside of his relationship to the family.

There are plenty of other data points out there that make the dots even easier to connect.

You're so far into this bullshit that its not even worth the time to argue with you.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Kabuki theater.

In this metaphor, Michigan is the iron fence.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Deteriorata posted:

But on the other hand, Jim Harbaugh is a loving lunatic.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Look, us guys in Ann Arbor are only going by what literally everyone around town has been saying for months now. None of this is breaking news.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Thoguh posted:

I did a Google Image Search for "Michigan Man". This was the third result.

Ted Kaczynski has a degree in Math from Michigan

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

Man, you got me there. I had never seen that before. I guess Harbaugh's not coming after all.

I'm not even sure I'd be super surprised if he ended up there, but your tinfoil hat poo poo is over the top.

Literally every detail you glean is crammed into your maize and blue storyboard. It's simultaneously hilarious and infuriating, because you are insufferably smug about knowing something no one actually knows.

I can't even tell if you're shining us on with brilliant satire at this point.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

Ted Kaczynski has a degree in Math from Michigan

...which means he can coach the team, if he's available

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

...which means he can coach the team, if he's available

he's got a pretty explosive offense

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not even sure I'd be super surprised if he ended up there, but your tinfoil hat poo poo is over the top.

Literally every detail you glean is crammed into your maize and blue storyboard. It's simultaneously hilarious and infuriating, because you are insufferably smug about knowing something no one actually knows.

Actually, it appears to be something lots of people know.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, it appears to be something lots of people know.

:suicide:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's a done deal.

How many letters in Harbaugh? Eight. How many in Michigan? Eight.

Michigan is shaped like a left-handed mitten. Harbaugh threw right-handed leaving his left available to wear...you guessed it, a mitten.

Nostradamus wrote "The cities of Tours, Orleans, Blois, Angers, Reims and Nantes are troubled by sudden change." Those cities probably can stand in for The Ohio State, Bloomington, Ann Arbor, Rutgers, and Nebraska

Ann Arbor can be rearranged to spell "Baron Ran," which is what Harbaugh plans to call himself when he coaches Michigan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In this metaphor, Harbaugh is the teenage girl and Michigan fans are Ed Rooney.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If Jeffery Jones represents a Big 10 school it's obviously Penn State.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

DJExile posted:

he's got a pretty explosive offense

Yeah he really airs it out there

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
My favorite part about this thread is how people are getting mad when it is a claimed certainty a man is leaving one high paying, prestigious position for another. I don't see this much outrage from anyone when unproven felony accusations are branded as 100%, gospel truths.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If Jeffery Jones represents a Big 10 school it's obviously Penn State.

hahahahahaha

:golfclap:

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
This thread got me to watch The Big Lebowski for like the 30th time. Absolutely worth it, 5'ed

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dattserberg posted:

This thread got me to watch The Big Lebowski for like the 30th time. Absolutely worth it, 5'ed

If we could help just one person, this whole thread is worth it. We did it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

I started reading the last few pages of this thread and this is hilariously accurate. Also I make bad choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per goon Shindragon in the NFL Week 16 N/V thread, Jay Glazer has just reported that Harbaugh will be fired after next week's game.

• Locked thread