Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

It's a little more than that. Try a collective shunning by the entire legal community. Since here prosecutors are union it's almost impossible to fire them, but you can certainly make things so unpleasant that they see early retirement or transfer to academia as a better future.
Righhht. But in the mean time between "Collective shunning" (whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean) and early retirement/transfer to academia, they have the ability to gently caress up countless lives or let maniacs stay on the force.

So the real question is what is the average time period between "shunning" & retire, because again like you stated the prosecutors are in a union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Looking more into the NYPD unions and what they are saying, I am pretty shocked. The Patrolmen's Benevolent Association has a pretty right wing page with Fox News clips and a NewsMax interview where they just go off on the mayor. They also sent out this memo after the shootings where they are evidently now dictating enforcement/arrest policy instead of elected officials:

NYC PBA posted:

“At least two units are to respond to EVERY call, no matter the condition or severity, no matter what type of job is pending, or what the option of the patrol supervisor happens to be. IN ADDITION: Absolutely NO enforcement action in the form of arrests and or summonses is to be taken unless absolutely necessary and an individual MUST be placed under arrest. These are precautions that were taken in the 1970’s when Police Officers were ambushed and executed on a regular basis. The mayors hands are literally dripping with our blood because of his words actions and policies and we have, for the first time in a number of years, become a ‘wartime’ police department. We will act accordingly.”

That is some crazy loving rhetoric. The other union also said this and still has the tweet up:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

tezcat posted:

Righhht. But in the mean time between "Collective shunning" (whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean)

For better or worse legal professions are incredibly dependent on maintaining active networks. To be shunned by everyone in your area doesn't, like, make you a bit lonely at the bar association's Christmas Lexus give away party -- it makes you completely ineffectual at practicing law.

Even the most mundane tasks are going to be much, much harder when you have no one to work with, no favors to call in, no lines of communications into the back end processing of law. It's busting a seasoned career attorney to basically a 2L.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

ActusRhesus posted:

Great question and one I wish I had the answer to. Remember a lot if people do go into law enforcement and prosecution out of a sincere desire to protect victims of crime, and a disproportionate number if victims are also minorities. Having a better trust between victims and witnesses and cops would make our job a lot easier.

A prosectors job can be pretty easy given when he/she doesn't want to prosecute.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You basically summed it up. It's an epidemic and it's the same way up here in various parts of Lower Westchester from the people who fled the Bronx, parts of Manhattan or even have lived here since the 1940's.

A lot of regular guys who made an assload of money in construction and the trades back when you could buy a house in places like New Rochelle or Harrison for a song (and could actually get the bank to give you a loan for it). Those houses are worth half a million and up now. They buy their kids Bimwahs and STILL go on and on about 'the lazy blacks.' I'm of (very) mixed heritage and I have these people in my family, so I can speak first hand on the subject.

And as far as funneling to the NYPD and the MTA, oh yeah..definitely. You know, it's funny. I lived in Florida for all my teenage years and college and the deputies, all southern, that pulled me over were always polite...Yeah, they'd ding me for stuff like going 2 over the limit because that's what Florida cops do, but they were always nice. I got into some shoplifting trouble in High School and went on a ride along with one of them and they were actually really nice. Yeah, the profiling down there was for ravers rather than race and FL was a bit different than the 'deep' South, but they were still polite.

I come up here and it's a completely different story. Now all those Joeys and Anthony's are police in Westchester and hoo boy...Unbelievable.

Funny thing is, the Jewish side of my family, all from Queens, are all police, so I know that side of the game too.

It really is an epidemic and I have no idea how to begin to confront it. Everyone is so wrapped up in their just world bubbles that they refuse to see the world as any other way.

Pretty much every one I knew in high school that went to be a cop for the NYPD were the biggest assholes you could imagine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RedQueen posted:

Looking more into the NYPD unions and what they are saying, I am pretty shocked. The Patrolmen's Benevolent Association has a pretty right wing page with Fox News clips and a NewsMax interview where they just go off on the mayor. They also sent out this memo after the shootings where they are evidently now dictating enforcement/arrest policy instead of elected officials:

That is some crazy loving rhetoric. The other union also said this and still has the tweet up:

They have this opinion because the mayor talked about how he had told his mixed son that he needs to be careful around police. No sudden movements, etc... Which is not at all an uncommon conversation among black/mixed families. That was the egregious offense that set the police off.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

ActusRhesus posted:

No. He was advocating for vigilantism.

Not the specific post that you were replying to that I was replying to:

Here it is:

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Better to let a cop choke your son to death.

The judge can bring him back, I'm sure.

EDIT: VVV You're going to need stronger hands and a Clockwork Orange restraint chair to force words into my mouth but keep it up! VVV

ActusRhesus posted:

What were people saying about this thread not advocating for dead cops?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fknlo posted:

They have this opinion because the mayor talked about how he had told his mixed son that he needs to be careful around police. No sudden movements, etc... Which is not at all an uncommon conversation among black/mixed families. That was the egregious offense that set the police off.

Which is funny since this is what all of the police abuse supporters keep telling black people already.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Yeah isn't that the same advice police themselves would give?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

KomradeX posted:

Which is funny since this is what all of the police abuse supporters keep telling black people already.

No one is allowed to take the moral high ground against the cops. No one.

How DARE you try to act reserved and defensive around us to try and avoid our wrath.

We will show you who runs Batertown!

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

fosborb posted:

For better or worse legal professions are incredibly dependent on maintaining active networks. To be shunned by everyone in your area doesn't, like, make you a bit lonely at the bar association's Christmas Lexus give away party -- it makes you completely ineffectual at practicing law.

Even the most mundane tasks are going to be much, much harder when you have no one to work with, no favors to call in, no lines of communications into the back end processing of law. It's busting a seasoned career attorney to basically a 2L.
This post helps solidify the reason for the thread.

I mean here you have ActusRhesus saying this:

ActusRhesus posted:

Having a better trust between victims and witnesses and cops would make our job a lot easier.

But what happens when the Cops are the murderers and the prosecution refuses to do its job because they rely on said cops? Or when a cop gets poo poo canned because they dared defend a victim instead of an officer? That's really what the thread is about. And it highlights the level of corruption needed just to function in legal and why reform is needed there too (and also explains why ActusRhesus is so drat defensive in the thread too, it's a bitter pill to swallow when your livelihood is shown to be lovely and racist).

Though I do honestly thank ActusRhesus for their contribution to the thread. Whether they intended to or not it shows a bit of the mindset of on the legal side of things, unsurprisingly it shows the "with us or against us" mindset most cops are so famous for.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

No, he was advocating to stop the murder of your friends or family by a cop.

That =/= dead cop. It might = jail time or death for you, but to be quite honest I'd take a bullet for my friends or family. That does not mean I'm going to try and kill the police officer in question, and claiming that means that I'm advocating directly for the killing of cops is stupid as gently caress.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I think there was an issue where a police officer got hit by someone and it was captured on video. and Di Blasio said something along the lines of "alleged attack" or something like that which totally pissed the police off because since it was on video it wasn't alleged.

:ironicat:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

fknlo posted:

Oh yeah, I think there was an issue where a police officer got hit by someone and it was captured on video. and Di Blasio said something along the lines of "alleged attack" or something like that which totally pissed the police off because since it was on video it wasn't alleged.

:ironicat:

Basically doing anything that isn't constantly sucking a policeman's cock is enough to piss them off, it seems.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

RedQueen posted:

The city offered them 0's across the board and increased contrib to healthcare. If they didn't have this contract issue right now you wouldn't hear a tenth of this poo poo.

That's how petty they are.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Cops nowadays are like the cops from Blues Brothers in a way. Chasing after people with a small list of unpaid parking violations and shooting and crashing into stuff, eventually leading up to using the National Guard. Although even at the end they didn't shoot the Brothers so I guess the movie cops are better.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

KomradeX posted:

And everyone knows a cop, or has a family member who is a cop. I was friends with a guy who's brother is a cop and every time you criticized the police he'd practically get in your face going on about how dare you talk bad about his family. It has some of the most noxious people and I'm ashamed when I tell other people in the city I'm from there, and I've never once had someone not say they were sorry when I told them I was from Staten Island.

Someone told me at last Saturday's big NYC protest that they heard that half the Garner grand jury were cops. I'm taking that with a big grain of salt since I don't know how that would even be known, but the point is that it doesn't even matter because they're all guaranteed to at least have family in the NYPD anyway.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

tezcat posted:

This post helps solidify the reason for the thread.

I mean here you have ActusRhesus saying this:

But what happens when the Cops are the murderers and the prosecution refuses to do its job because they rely on said cops? Or when a cop gets poo poo canned because they dared defend a victim instead of an officer? That's really what the thread is about. And it highlights the level of corruption needed just to function in legal and why reform is needed there too (and also explains why ActusRhesus is so drat defensive in the thread too, it's a bitter pill to swallow when your livelihood is shown to be lovely and racist).

Though I do honestly thank ActusRhesus for their contribution to the thread. Whether they intended to or not it shows a bit of the mindset of on the legal side of things, unsurprisingly it shows the "with us or against us" mindset most cops are so famous for.

Yes. I can't imagine why I wouldn't be leaping to listen to your many valid points. Serious question: what have you actually done to bring about positive change? Do you volunteer for any civil rights orgs? Published any scholarly works on inequality in the justice system? Planned a career as a PD?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes. I can't imagine why I wouldn't be leaping to listen to your many valid points. Serious question: what have you actually done to bring about positive change? Do you volunteer for any civil rights orgs? Published any scholarly works on inequality in the justice system? Planned a career as a PD?

Wow, what an incredibly unproductive attitude. Yes, you must have at least 5 made up qualifications to discuss police reform!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Someone told me at last Saturday's big NYC protest that they heard that half the Garner grand jury were cops. I'm taking that with a big grain of salt since I don't know how that would even be known, but the point is that it doesn't even matter because they're all guaranteed to at least have family in the NYPD anyway.

Grand juries are generally seated for a term, and there's no way of knowing what type of case will come up during that term. Generally speaking a cop would be pro indictment so a prosecutor would want them in a grand jury panel but obviously this fact pattern busts that stereotype. However, as the grand jury is seated for a term, not a specific case there wouldn't be an easy way to kick them off. (This assumes there were in fact cops on the panel.) This is one of many complaints I have about the grand jury process.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 22, 2014

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Yeah I don't know if they were all cops but I bet you they had family members that were at least.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Wow, what an incredibly unproductive attitude. Yes, you must have at least 5 made up qualifications to discuss police reform!

Oh you can discuss all you want. But the :smugdog: posturing of some on here who are quite willing to rage against the msn so long as it's convenient gets a little tiresome. I may not agree with all equine don or bassguitarhero's posts, but I respect the fact they actually gave a poo poo enough to go to ferguson and try to get a deeper understanding of what's happening there. Ditto for PDs and civil rights lawyers. I may be their adversary more often than not but they have my respect.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

"You can't say poo poo is hosed up unless you have actively done something. You have to have published works to actually be able to say 'things are wrong' or 'Eric Garner was murdered in cold blood by cops using a chokehold they were not allowed to do, and they got away with it because it was a black man who died.' That's just crazy!"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

E-Tank posted:

"You can't say poo poo is hosed up unless you have actively done something. You have to have published works to actually be able to say 'things are wrong' or 'Eric Garner was murdered in cold blood by cops using a chokehold they were not allowed to do, and they got away with it because it was a black man who died.' That's just crazy!"

You can say all you want. But now what are you going to do about it?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Since when has it been the burden of the general public to submit to the police and worship their authority? The burden is entirely on them. It has been that way from the start. Only the police can change it- not the public. The public can only riot or, god forbid, take matters into their own hands.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

E-Tank posted:

You can say it all you like. But if you get smug about it, you've done wrong. Because if the thing were so obviously unethical that you could get smug or morally superior about it, then you should be engaged in actual action against it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ActusRhesus posted:

"List your credentials!" isn't an argument.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Job Truniht posted:

Since when has it been the burden of the general public to submit to the police and worship their authority? The burden is entirely on them. It has been that way from the start. Only the police can change it- not the public. The public can only riot or, god forbid, take matters into their own hands.

I disagree. There's a lot average citizens can do to raise awareness, organize community action, become part if the system and bring change from within, become advocates as civil rights attorneys or public defenders, run for office, campaign, join a political staff, propose legislation, speak at legislative sessions etc etc. but that all takes work.

Typing on phone. Please excuse obvious typos.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

"List your credentials!" isn't an argument.

Neither is "you're stupid."

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh you can discuss all you want. But the :smugdog: posturing of some on here who are quite willing to rage against the msn so long as it's convenient gets a little tiresome. I may not agree with all equine don or bassguitarhero's posts, but I respect the fact they actually gave a poo poo enough to go to ferguson and try to get a deeper understanding of what's happening there. Ditto for PDs and civil rights lawyers. I may be their adversary more often than not but they have my respect.
The point is no one is really raging (except for you maybe). Alot of people are simply pointing out that your profession is in collusion with cops so you can replace a grand jury as much as you want, but you will have the same racist assholes spoon feeding select info to get the outcome they desire.

So in the example, swapping out a bunch of pliable chucklefucks for another bunch of pliable chucklefucks would have practically 0 outcome if you have a prosecutor looking to get a murdering cop off the hook.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

I was unaware this forum was entitled "Organize & Overthrow."

Why are you so aggressively trying to prevent a discussion of police reform in the police reform thread?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

I'd love to hear suggestions that will actually enact change instead of feel good poo poo like 'write a published article'. I'd also love you to stop cheerleading and saying we shouldn't stop cops from murdering people, but I get the feeling that's not happening. Also this is a place of discussion. Not where we have to show off 'Hey I did X for the cause!'

Trabisnikof posted:

Why are you so aggressively trying to prevent a discussion of police reform in the police reform thread?

. . .Dammit, beat me to it.

Oh we all know why. They find the idea that cops can do wrong utterly abhorrent and we should not try and stop our new police overlords from murdering us whenever they so choose.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

ActusRhesus posted:

I disagree. There's a lot average citizens can do to raise awareness, organize community action, become part if the system and bring change from within, become advocates as civil rights attorneys or public defenders, run for office, campaign, join a political staff, propose legislation, speak at legislative sessions etc etc. but that all takes work.

Those aren't things 'the average' citizen can do. Those are things people DEDICATED to doing them might accomplish but the everyday person has a life and career and normal social responsibilities already. No one just decides to run for office or start a grassroots political movement on a lark. These things require time, money, and a ton of dedication, networking, and support.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

tezcat posted:

The point is no one is really raging (except for you maybe). Alot of people are simply pointing out that your profession is in collusion with cops so you can replace a grand jury as much as you want, but you will have the same racist assholes spoon feeding select info to get the outcome they desire.

So in the example, swapping out a bunch of pliable chucklefucks for another bunch of pliable chucklefucks would have practically 0 outcome if you have a prosecutor looking to get a murdering cop off the hook.

I have a little more respect for juries than you do, I guess. Even when I have lost cases, I've generally found that, based on the evidence they were legally allowed to consider, it was probably the right verdict. Beyond reasonable doubt is a high bar. Now, if you have paid attention, you would see that in this, and other threads, I have actually been quite critical of the ferguson amateur hour. But when you say things like "my profession" is colluding to get murderers off, do you see how that kid of shuts down any dialogue we might have been able to have?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Recommending changes: totally cool.

But at the point where you moralize, well, you can't moralize without taking a moral obligation upon yourselves. Reason abstractly, reason concretely, or shut the gently caress up.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

What bothers me is what bothers anyone else- hive mentality and police unions. Let's face reality for a moment. Violent crimes has been on the decline for the last two decades- so have incarcerations and police killed in the line of duty. Even in the face of two cop deaths, there's no statistical metric to say that these police are in danger from an angry mob of blacks thugs. Therefore, this "us vs. them" or "let's use warren rhetoric" exists entirely within the police force and the police unions themselves, and there's no external force that can do anything but vindicate their thoughts. They can only come to that conclusion themselves.

The public is pretty divided on the death of Garner and Brown, especially among the white community who whole preconceived notions among race. Conversely, almost all cops believe they are in danger at all times and are trained to escalate/use violent force.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

E-Tank posted:

I'd love to hear suggestions that will actually enact change instead of feel good poo poo like 'write a published article'. I'd also love you to stop cheerleading and saying we shouldn't stop cops from murdering people, but I get the feeling that's not happening. Also this is a place of discussion. Not where we have to show off 'Hey I did X for the cause!'

. . .Dammit, beat me to it.

Oh we all know why. They find the idea that cops can do wrong utterly abhorrent and we should not try and stop our new police overlords from murdering us whenever they so choose.

Except I didn't say that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ActusRhesus posted:

You've given well-reasoned arguments on this very page of the thread for how you disagree with the way the grand jury process is run. To establish your own credibility before demanding it of others: what are you doing to further that cause besides posting on the forum of a comedy website with a writer named @fart?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Job Truniht posted:

What bothers me is what bothers anyone else- hive mentality and police unions. Let's face reality for a moment. Violent crimes has been on the decline for the last two decades- so have incarcerations and police killed in the line of duty. Even in the face of two cop deaths, there's no statistical metric to say that these police are in danger from an angry mob of blacks thugs. Therefore, this "us vs. them" or "let's use warren rhetoric" exists entirely within the police force and the police unions themselves, and there's no external force that can do anything but vindicate their thoughts. They can only come to that conclusion themselves.

The public is pretty divided on the death of Garner and Brown, especially among the white community who whole preconceived notions among race. Conversely, almost all cops believe they are in danger at all times and are trained to escalate/use violent force.

I agree with you that public sector unions are a problem. (I say this as a member of one) I also think elected prosecutors and judges are extremely problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Except I didn't say that.

Well considering how many times you've shoved words in others mouth I thought I'd give it a try.

ActusRhesus posted:

so you would prefer the officer be shot?

ActusRhesus posted:

What were people saying about this thread not advocating for dead cops?

ActusRhesus posted:

• Locked thread