Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

serious gaylord posted:

*cough metal scraplauncher cough bretonnian trebuchet cough sisters exorcist cough*

You had to buy a metal file and GW recommended using a dremel, because the metal had so much flash. Then you have the problem with the main chasis was bent or where you were to place things was bowed out. Speak nothing of assembly until you dealt with the 2nd generation Landspeeder from 2nd edition. It also was to heavy for the supplied flying base.

So much horror.

I remember it weighing a lot, but never saw it assembled.

This is the strangest battle report. It's good because JY2 writes really great battle reports, but then you realize what's going on and its like how?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/627273.page

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 21, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I remember it weighing a lot, but never saw it assembled.

Because the entire thing is pewter and collapses under it's own weight unless you get the strongest glue imaginable and get creative with pinning. Or spot-welding.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Despite the photoshop filter that I think is in this. This haunted Imperial Knight is excellent.

Edit:

Should give credit : Here's the guys post with more pictures.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/626185.page#7412941

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 21, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Work is progressing on a table of my own :)

The second half in assembly

The other half already complete, and I threw some of my in progress buildings to see how it'd look.

I'm going to drill some holes in the connecting sides and glue pegs into one, then make some corresponding holes in the other side to slide into. The only thing I'm not sure of at the moment is what I'm going to use to stand it on since I'm just using chairs at the moment...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
May I make the suggestion that instead of going through all of the drilling etc.. to instead if you can use just a single long strip of the extra strength Velcro they sell at Home Depot. It comes in half inch, quarter inch, and wide 2 inch strips. Is around 15 dollars usually for a box. If you don't want the gap, you can either just make a lip for it above it or simply sand down the lip. My problem with pegs is that they can break off then you end up just redrilling again. If not use a metal peg not a wooden dowel.

For a Stand you also can just purchase the bracket and leg's portion at Home Depot as well, they've got multiple types to go underneath the board itself.

You'd need to have all 4 legs though otherwise the middle of the board is going to buckle. Meaning each half has to have 4 legs.

Now a more conveniently stored is one I've built.

Basically it simply consists of two 24x36 board halfs with a hinge on the bottom to close up. I have a 3 inch lip and two legs on both halfs. You can then fold the whole thing up. I simply have a brace for the center. I think it cost me like 45 in total materials and took like a couple of hours to build.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 21, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I finished some Deathwing Knights for the Oath thread :toot:

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 21, 2014

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Well those are just lovely. Great bases, too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AbusePuppy posted:

The Ghost Ark in particular can be nothing but the product of witchcraft most foul combined with a sadist's ingenuity- it is far and away the worst kit I have ever had to assemble, and I've built metal versions of the old Hive Tyrant, Lord of Change, Thunderfire Cannon, and Shokk Attack Gun. And it's really a shame, too, because it's a beautiful model with rules that are actually quite decent, even good, but it's a monstrosity to assemble and paint.

I always loved this review:

quote:

The Ghost Ark is not a kit.
The Ghost Ark is a curse.
As models go, you have quick little jaunts like, say, the Rhino. It fits together quickly and simply, and is a solid little mid-afternoon jaunt in the hobby park. You see the leaves, you feel the wind on your face, and you’re done. A little too soon, perhaps, but it was pleasant.

Then you have the Ghost Ark. The Ghost Ark is not there to remind you of life, putting the spring back into your step after spending hours in the dreary office of Other Models. The purpose of the Ghost Ark is to punish you for not buying enough Necron stuff in the first place.

How dare you, Ghost Ark says. How dare you not buy flights of Destroyers and triads of Wraiths from the last codex. What was wrong with Pariahs, who did everything a single infantry unit could do, and better than everything else in our meager codex? How dare you reject them?

But--but the only things that worked in the entire list were the Warriors, Immortals and Destroyers, Ghost Ark. What was I to do? I used Pariahs once or twice, but there wasn’t enough points left for everything else. And Wraiths, they just died too quickly.

This chap is my new favorite Necron, ever.
Shh, shh. That is all in the past. Ghost Ark says. I am here now.
Yes, Ghost Ark is here. Make no mistake, cool and serpentine, this thing is the very best of the Cutting Room floor:

Do not, repeat, DO NOT throw away concept sketches. EVER.
The art department at Lucasfilm knows this, and now GW does, too.
The pilot is in as many pieces as they could make a figure. I was was surprised that the legs were attached as an integrated piece, because they were separate from the pelvis, which is its own separate bit. There are the obligatory torso halves, but there are separate HEAD and NECK pieces, for pete’s sake. One arm is separated at the elbow for no apparent reason. Then you have a spinal column connecting him to command chair.
What other infantry-sized miniature has a separate neck?

Still my favorite part of the entire model.

Sorry, did you want quality out of your Necron vehicles? No one (with any common sense) bought flights of slab-sided, boring monoliths, so in retribution, here is your delicate plastic flower. That is our revenge, Necron player. Drown in the depths of our design. Choke on our cyclopean geometry. Ghost Ark is the other side of the diabolical eldritch coin. A pyramid with a big gay emerald on it was iceberg tip of the horrible writhing squid monster sleeping beneath the surface of a lackluster codex. Therein lies an underworld of poorly-written fluff
and way too many open-topped vehicles.

Like the well-engineered Rhino, this thing does fit together like a dream (well, a different sort of dream). But make no mistake, there are quite a few places to go wrong in this garden of earthly delights, and if your attention to detail wavers, Ghost Ark will not forgive you. Slovenliness will be met with disaster, so you’d better have your wits about while you’re working on this.
You should most definitely not be writing a review. Ghost Ark will punish this most severely.

Ghost Ark #2 of 4 turned out rather bendy. Maybe they flex in flight like a fish?
At any rate, this is a mold issue of some kind, and 100% not my fault.
Necron players are going to be buying and assembling these things in spades, in their many hundreds. Why not? It’s an AV13 transport that restores warriors to their units, has banks of gauss weapons it can fire on the move, and is generally a good idea. Marines wish they had something as good as Ghost Ark. Imperial Guard... well, they have the Vendetta, which is arguably better. Not since we got that graceful bird have we been gifted so.
I will say it this but once, ever, GW, so you’d better listen up: this makes up for the awful tragedy that is the Storm Raven.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Been a lot of good posts. It has been a while since I did anything of value, but these last few pages of real content has been awesome, so here I go!

I made the first 5 of counts-as thunderwolves, these guys are all my characters who swing at S10(two Lord-or-battleleader, two iron priest and a TWC-leader).

*better shot of shields*

Those are skullcrusher heads and are so awesome for berzerker guys. I think I will reserve these sweet helms for my characters to keep them easy to pick out and to give them something flashy. The first 4 are just marines ontop of 40k bloodcrushers and the last (the TWC-leader) is a skullcrusher with some 40k bits. The legs and torsos will be different but they seem to work well together, hopefully they will look similar after painting too. I am going to try pre-heresy colors though it's obvious that these guys are very fallen, I just love the colors.

edit: I forgot to add. After assembling 6 of the skullcrusher bodies I need to soak my fingertips in numbing ointment. All these tiny rivets that are actually tiny spikes have death-by-1000-cuts my nerves to a constant dull pain despite not working on them for a few hours.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 21, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Thunderfire cannon: here is a box of metal chunks that theoretically fit together back when the molds were new.

I assembled one this year and didn't find it so taxing. It had tones of flash strings that I had to cut off with a razor, though, and I will never be fond of the amount of time it takes to polish a metal model using the wire brushes on a rotozip.

Also: how bristles from the brush snap off and land in the carpet so that they lance into your skin line a centimeter long papercut into your toe. When you least expect it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was exceptionally lucky and managed to pick up my first Thunderfire in metal from ebay at the same price as the FC rrp. It had already been assembled by some poor sap who managed to get the barrel to align properly. When I broke it down to strip I made sure I left the barrel in one piece.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I assembled one this year and didn't find it so taxing. It had tones of flash strings that I had to cut off with a razor, though, and I will never be fond of the amount of time it takes to polish a metal model using the wire brushes on a rotozip.

Also: how bristles from the brush snap off and land in the carpet so that they lance into your skin line a centimeter long papercut into your toe. When you least expect it.

Maybe the one I assembled was just a lovely cast, but no two parts fit together without some serious cutting and sanding.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
That black on yellow is absolutely stunning!

Dammit I want to pick up wraithlords to just start a iyanden army but those dw Knights look so good!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dagon posted:

There can never be enough wacky baneblade variants.

The Stormhammer is my favorite unit from epic, but I'm a bit bummed at the model. It was supposed to have 2 turrets, damnit!

e: The new model, not the old one!

Hollismason posted:

This is the strangest battle report. It's good because JY2 writes really great battle reports, but then you realize what's going on and its like how?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/627273.page

Oh jesus I just figured it out :ohdear:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 21, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get it

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He's playing against himself

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man, there are entire youtube channels for warhams playing against themselves.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So? It's just as interesting as any other battle report

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So? It's just as interesting as any other battle report

Warhammer is a game about playing with your mates. Its rather odd to play it against yourself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It becomes strange in the analysis section and wrap up. I didn't realize what was going on and thought it was a straight up battle report. Still a good report but it's a little strange.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

serious gaylord posted:

Warhammer is a game about playing with your mates. Its rather odd to play it against yourself.

It's about the hobby

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How do you meaningfully play a game fairly against yourself?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So I might have a line on a friends Nid army for a reasonable price but I really have no clue what their play style is like or their pros/cons. His collection is a lot of termaguants and a few of the unit that spawns them (tervigons ?) , zoanthropes, 1-2 flying hive tyrants , a couple of carnifexes with various loadouts and a I think a mawloc/trygon. If someone has a decent primer on Nids I'd be happy to hear it.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 22, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

The Sisko posted:

So I might have a line on a friends Nid army for a reasonable but I really have no clue what their play style is like or their pros/cons. His collection is a lot of termaguants and a few of the unit that spawns them (tervigons ?) , zoanthropes, 1-2 flying hive tyrants , a couple of carnifexes with various loadouts and a I think a mawloc/trygon. If someone has a decent primer on Nids I'd be happy to hear it.

don't play tyranids

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

How do you meaningfully play a game fairly against yourself?

He's forging a narrative.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Devlan Mud posted:

He's forging a narrative.

The truest warham.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I haven't had a chance to play with my tyranids against a live opponent. I have played against myself to make sure I was familiar with weapon profiles and rules though. I hate how slow my games go as space marines and that's an army I more or less know the rules for, so I would be very hesitant to play a game against a live opponent if I had to have my face down in the codex constantly and every shooting attack took 10 minutes to resolve.

So yeah, I don't think it's that wierd to practice warhams by yourself, especially if you don't have a very active gaming group where you're playing every week.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
After assembling Deathstorm and the new BA Tactical kit, I have to say the 32mm bases are so much better for Space Marines.

...The downside being only one of my Tactical Squads looks totally pimped out. And my Space Marine Commander kit Captain looks a touch bland compared to everyone else.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Rolling some dice to remember weapon profiles is different from playing a full game and acting like it's a useful method for determining competitive viability, though.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

This thing definitely became a chore to finish so I left the underside antenna array off and and painted the canopy astronaut gold. Eventually I'll paint some spirit stones (once I can get some more practice painting gems) and paint the TL-Shuriken Catapult/Cannon but for now it's fully magnetized and table ready.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

The Sisko posted:

So I might have a line on a friends Nid army for a reasonable price but I really have no clue what their play style is like or their pros/cons. His collection is a lot of termaguants and a few of the unit that spawns them (tervigons ?) , zoanthropes, 1-2 flying hive tyrants , a couple of carnifexes with various loadouts and a I think a mawloc/trygon. If someone has a decent primer on Nids I'd be happy to hear it.

-Termagants are acceptable.

-Tervigons aren't bad as a way to fill your second troop slot, and sometimes they just go out of control. Keep their babies as far away as feasible, you don't want some Lascannon killing twenty troop models.

--Zoanthropes are better now that they can spore in. Still probably best taken as solo units to generate Warp Charge and hope to get lucky with Catalyst.

-Flying Hive Tyrants are amazing. Take twinned Devourers, fly around murdering everything, profit.

-Carnifexes with Devourers are pretty alright. With other weapons they are mediocre but not awful. "Naked" loadout is actually good if you're spamming cheap MCs at the enemy and hoping they don't have enough guns. Also can be good if you use them as Stonecrusher Carnifexes, the FW variant from IA4.

-Mawlocs are actually surprisingly good and get better the more you understand Terror From the Deep. One is kinda not all that special, but two or three is a force to be reckoned with.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

One of the guys I play with is a nurse (basically) and he has involved in a lot of vasectomies this week. He told us all about it. One of the better games I've seen in a while!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
This guy is making a bunch of crazy Space Wolves converted from Primarch models.

http://legionofplastic.blogspot.com/

Well worth clicking.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I've asked this before but it was months ago - whats the recommended composition for a iyanden wraith army these days at around 1500?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

serious gaylord posted:

Warhammer is a game about collecting the small, jewel-like objects of magic and wonder we call Citadel Miniatures

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LordAba posted:

One of the guys I play with is a nurse (basically) and he has involved in a lot of vasectomies this week. He told us all about it. One of the better games I've seen in a while!
One would think that warhams already know everything about being unable to breed.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Heya, could I get some proper goon feedback on my 30K in 40K 'TAC' list?

quote:

Primary Detachment, Iron Hands Legion

HQ
Chaplain
- - - -
Power Axe
Lightning Claws
Artificer Armour
Refractor Field
Cyber familiar
- - - -

Expeditionary Navigator
- - - -
Cyber familiar
- - - -

Troops
Legionary Tactical Squad
- - - -
19 bodies
18 CCW
Legion Vexilla
Artificer Armour
Power Axe
- - - -

Legionary Tactical Squad
- - - -
10 bodies
Rhino transport
- - - -

Elites
Apothacary Detachment
- - - -
Auguary Scanner
Artificer Armour
- - - -

Thudd Gun Battery
- - - -
2 Quad Mortars
- - - -

Thudd Gun Battery
- - - -
2 Quad Mortars
- - - -

Heavy Support
Sicaran tank
- - - -
Heavy bolter sponsons
- - - -

Sicaran tank
- - - -
Heavy bolter sponsons
- - - -

quote:

Allied Detachment, Legio Cybernetica

HQ
Archmagos Dominus
- - - -
Protectiva
Mechinator array
Master crafted photon thruster
- - - -

Troops
Castellax Death Robots
- - - -
2 Death Robots
Enhanced targeting
Darkfire cannon
- - - -

Thallax Cohort
- - - -
Multimelta
- - - -

= 1851 total

Strategy:
The Navigator, Chaplain, and Apothecary join into the 20 man Legionary blob. Together they create a really resistant anvil (T5, FNP, -1 to enemy BS, and some good melee). They march forward onto a central objective somewhere. Rhino squad either takes a far away objective or acts as a LOS blocker. Thudd Guns glance heavy armor to death or blow the crap out of infantry. Sicarans deal with skimmers and big uglies. Magos repairs tanks, robots, and blinds stuff. Castellax focus on enemy MCs and protect the flanks against melee units. Thallax deepstrike to get linebreaker and hopefully pop a tank.

Considerations:
The army is very resistant and good at walking forwards, shooting, and absorbing bullets. That said, it's not very flexible and doesn't get anywhere fast. I'm ok with that, since it feels really fluffy and is fun to play.
  • The Tactical Squad in the rhino are mostly dead weight. Using them to grab a late game objective is ok, but I really wish I could find a way to use the points on something better or to make the unit more useful.
  • The Thallax give the list flexibility, but in the end they aren't good deep-striking suicide units. I'm very strongly considering dropping them and using the points elsewhere.
  • There's no anti air and few interdictors (units with interceptor). A mortis dread or predator executioner with command tank would help a lot against some lists. I'm strongly considering changing one of my sicarans into one or the other.
  • If I drop some bodies I can cram lascannon sponsons onto my sicarans.
  • I'm strongly considering giving my anvil blob a void shield relic- effectively making it AV12, immune to bolters, helldrakes, and negating at least 1 high strength blast potentially every turn.

I could replace my Thallax with:
  • A paragon of metal Castellax with power blades or siege wreckers. I think its a strong choice since it will let me hunt MCs, tie up knights, blind enemies, and has objective secured. Downside is that it doesn't score and its going to be marching up the board.
  • Replace my chaplain with a preator + power axe command squad. My anvil would turn into more of a deathstar with this, as they would gain a lot of high strength attacks and 2+ saves. I could even give them jump packs, so they could follow the blob and counter charge units.
  • A kheres dreadnought, which would do nasty things to fliers and practically everything else, but only at 24"
  • A predator executioner with interceptor. This would do mean horrible things to MEQ armies and, best of all, provides a 36" AP2 bubble that makes deepstriking nearby almost suicidal. If I was playing other 30K armies I would never leave home without one of these.
  • Grab a primaris lightning with kraken missiles or autocannons. This would help with reach remote parts of the board and, with the krakens, is basically guaranteed to explode any really tough vehicle the turn it enters into play.

Any thoughts?

e: :words: :words: :words:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't own IA4 but stonecrusher carnifices get mentioned a lot. What makes em good. What do they do that regular carns can't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Cataphract posted:

I don't own IA4 but stonecrusher carnifices get mentioned a lot. What makes em good. What do they do that regular carns can't?

I think they get more hammer of wrath attacks at a higher str for not much more points?

• Locked thread