Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

In the case of Alco it's because they sound cool and make lots of smoke. Also, because Alco made steam locomotives.

They made them in Schenectady, NY which is the neatest city to spell or say. Looks cool on the boilerplate of a bigboy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

bytebark posted:

Since winter is getting close: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365218614/

Good mini-documentary on rotary snowplow operations on the UP through the Sierra Nevada.

http://www.wplives.org/index.html

These guys used to let you drive one if I remember right.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The Reg done an article about Network Rail's fancy new old train http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/10/network_rail_new_measurement_train_ride/

quote:

The image recorded by PLPR comes from seven cameras looking at the track from different angles and is recorded as one long file. This is 2048 pixels wide and 30 miles long, capturing as little as 0.8mm of movement.

:aaa:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I was driving up in the hills yesterday and passed by the Puffing Billy tourist railway, a narrow gauge one. Decided to wait around the trestle bridge for 15 minutes for a train to come past. Sadly it was the end of the day so it was backwards.
They're currently doing some maintenance works on the bridge, replacing some cross beams and such.

Drove a few minutes up the road to Emerald where another train was just departing the station. Apparently they had the 'Thomas & Friends' day earlier at Emerald station where you could ride their Thomas the tank engine engine.

Edit: One from their twitter -
PuffingBillyRailway ‏@puffingbillyr Nov 11

What a sight- this hasn't happened for 15 years! All 5 NA locos fired up. #happydays #trains #holysmoke

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 16, 2014

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I'd hate to be on their seniority roster.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

It stretches from here to the middle of next month - and it needs to be.
They run trains almost every day of the year except Christmas and Easter. Usual operations will call of at least one kettle, often more than one kettle in service each day, with the exception of fire-ban days (most of the Aussie bush burns with spectacular effect, and what doesn't burn is loaded up with sufficient oil that they will explode in a bushfire. Think burning bits of foot long 2"x4" flying through the air at 20-30mph)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

That's not even the full extent of their rolling stock. There's another 5-6 steam locomotives that aren't the flagship NA loco's, though some of those are special-occasion ones, and a few diesels on top of that.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ddsV-SmMQ

It appears the driver controls the engine simply by moving the pantograph. That seems odd and somewhat unsafe. Or is there another reason for it?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

kids just hanging out the window over a bridge :psyduck:

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ddsV-SmMQ

It appears the driver controls the engine simply by moving the pantograph. That seems odd and somewhat unsafe. Or is there another reason for it?

I'd wager simplicity as that thing appears to be the economy/budget friendly locomotive.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it isn't called the local equivalent of "Ol' Sparky" then I don't know what the gently caress.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I am looking for info about the Steiner F8 steam locomotive.

Things like it's own weight and how they used to lift these machine's on merchant ships for instance.

Are there technical drawings available etc.

Thanks.

MrJayIsAGoon
Oct 11, 2002

Just some guy... On the internet.
Something no one tells you before hiring into TY&E: If you're not pro napper, you'll become one in short order.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

ijustam posted:

I'd wager simplicity as that thing appears to be the economy/budget friendly locomotive.

Along those same lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhXEQQk8G8

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

jaigh_taylor posted:

Something no one tells you before hiring into TY&E: If you're not pro napper, you'll become one in short order.

Winter is the best. Broken rail ahead? Single main railroad? 3 hour nap.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I stole this train from the mall, and it ain't no thang at all.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Um that owns really hard.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Alegedly was not stolen, was actually built for a peaceful protest?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

Makes me wonder if it's a reference to this:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Keiya posted:

This is correct. That image has been run out of hand
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/r7OmQNQ.png

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like the racist slant was added by reddit, shocking I know.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Hey, look at that. A kinda rough 1947 Dodge sedan.

Looks kinda worn out on the outside. Any better inside? Nope...

A view from above ... hey, are those RAILS under the car?

Well I'll be damned. It even has special flanged tires for those rails.

Backstory: This is a limo variant of a 1947 Dodge built for the Milwaukee Road railroad, and modified by their shops for use on rails rather than road. It was retired in 1961. After several years of sitting around it was purchased for $25 by a museum in Wisconsin. Fast forward to 2014, and after it had sat outside for many years (and was never operable), that museum wanted to get rid of it. So the museum I'm involved with picked it up earlier this year. A couple of our members run an unofficial museum blog with more details and pictures of the car. Supposedly the plan is to restore it and get it running again. I've been told that although it looks pretty rough, it was never exposed to salt (since it wasn't used on actual roads) so other than surface rust, the body is in pretty good shape.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
That is awesome! There is a similar car in the Duluth rail museum, but unfortunately I don't have the pics handy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Wally Joyner posted:

That is awesome! There is a similar car in the Duluth rail museum, but unfortunately I don't have the pics handy.

I was just gonna say, they've got one too. Also they've got a 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone which is just ENORMOUS.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They also have the first one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Road_class_EP-1,_EF-1,_EF-2,_EF-3,_and_EF-5

which is loving awesome. Was climbing around inside it wondering what exactly it was, then read the backstory and was like "drat this thing is a piece of history."

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Great story that is part of the history of my line.
http://www3.gendisasters.com/wyoming/5661/edson-wy-train-wreck-jan-1888

quote:

Edson, WY Train Wreck, Jan 1888

TELESCOPED.

Fatal and Frightful Accident on the Union Pacific Railroad.

CHEYENNE, WYO., January 10, 1888

The Westbound Union Pacific passenger train which left there last evening was halted near Edson Station at 2:30 o'clock this morning to repair damage to the engine. After the delay and when the train had proceeded but a few hundred yards a freight train running at a high rate of speed rounded a curve and crashed into the rear car, telescoping two emigrant cars which at once caught fire and were entirely consumed. The rear of sleeper Delhi was also burned. A wrecking car and a corps of surgeons were soon on the ground. Five hours after the collision the track was cleared and the dead and wounded were removed to Rawlins. The following is a list of the killed and injured:

Child of Mrs. Jennie Street; aged 3 years, killed and body burned in the wreck; infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, died soon after reaching Rawlins; Wm. R. Johnston, chest injured; Brakeman George Shearer, right leg broken and left thigh cut in several places; Miss Ida Jay, injured about the back and abdomen; James Price, right ankle and hip injured; Mrs. James Price, back injured; Mrs. Jennie Street, back injured; D. B. Kritzer, several ribs broken and injured internally; Mrs. D. B, Kritzer, abdomen and chest injured; son of Mr. and Mrs. Kritzer, seriously injured. The thermometer registered twenty degrees below zero when the accident occurred and assistance was nearly thirty miles distant. The clothing of many of the emigrants was consumed in the flames and a number were badly frozen before reaching shelter. The company did everything possible for the unfortunates. Scott Vermillion, conductor of the passenger train fled to the adjacent bluffs immediately after the accident.

Twenty cow-boys have searched for him all day. It is believed he was crazed by the awful sight and doubtless ran until becoming exhausted he fell into an isolated ravine and expired.

Newark Daily Advocate, Newark, OH 10 Jan 1888

There was a tunnel at Edson. It was called "Tunnel No. 1" Because it was built before the tunnels up on Sherman Hill at Dale. According to an article done by the UP Historical Society, The tunnel was daylighted in 1927. You can still see the remnants of it if you know what you're looking at. It is one of the two big abandoned cuts just before we come into Edson westbound.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
What happens when one empty car derails and the cars are connected by "anti-bypass" double shelf couplers?

This

Best comments from my railroad coworkers:

"That's what happens when you let a train sit too long in the yard.... they get tired and roll over to go to sleep."

"Clear the main at last named point."

"At least they stayed connected as designed. It saved a disast.. never mind."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I was going by that the other day and stopped to take pictures which are in the mechanical failures thread. That's a filling station for a pipeline too.

We also had this happen last month:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/wr...a58c9d0957.html

And there was that airplanes in the river thing.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

"anti-bypass" double shelf couplers?

What are these?

Skeeber
Jul 13, 2006
Looks like one of our customers didn`t feel the need to vent the car before unloading...

MrJayIsAGoon
Oct 11, 2002

Just some guy... On the internet.

ijustam posted:

What are these?

Hazmat couplers. Look like this:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Skeeber posted:

Looks like one of our customers didn`t feel the need to vent the car before unloading...

That made a noise. What do one of those cost, anyway?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

jaigh_taylor posted:

Hazmat couplers. Look like this:

They can be on any car, not just hazmat. :science:

But per the FRA all hazmat tanks are required to have them, along with roller bearings (I thought friction bearings are completely gone?)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They can be on any car, not just hazmat. :science:

But per the FRA all hazmat tanks are required to have them, along with roller bearings (I thought friction bearings are completely gone?)

Yeah that's kind of odd, all roller bearing cars? That doesn't make sense. Friction bearings have been gone for a long time as far as I know.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It has to be some pretty old language is my guess. But knowing this place if it saved them 50 cents to use friction bearings they would do it.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I can think of one exception to the rule of thumb that friction bearings are gone from railroads - hot bottle tank cars (specialized tanks used to shuttle liquid steel between steelmaking facilities). Supposedly the heat from the molten steel can cause roller bearings to expand (and make the car immovable) in this type of application, hence the use of standard (friction) bearings. Video of this type of car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzKU3cxWkk

Also, railroads often use old-as-hell equipment in MOW service which sometimes has friction bearings. There's a rule set by the AAR prohibiting the interchange of rolling stock with friction bearings, but it can still be used in captive service on work trains, etc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Did they just throw whatever crap cars they had sitting around the yard between those bottle tank cars, to keep them separated from each other?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I remember an old issue of Railpace magazine I used to have related to the Bethlehem steel mill closing down. They had some really wild specialized rail equipment.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

FISHMANPET posted:

Did they just throw whatever crap cars they had sitting around the yard between those bottle tank cars, to keep them separated from each other?

Looked like Indiana Harbor Belt cars going back to the owners.
http://www.ihbrr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
They do intentionally put spare empty cars between the bottle cars to space them out. Unsure of the exact reason but I suspect it's either to more widely distribute the weight of the steel, or because putting the cars right next to each other might make loading/unloading more difficult.