Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Just tried out the Game of Thrones mod for this game tonight. Started as Ser Davos the Onion Knight and promptly died a couple of years in from a bout of illness. My useless first son inherits my single county title and then I manage to betroth him to Daenerys who is roughly five years old. A year after we get married King Robert demands I hand her over and I reluctantly comply, expecting a short imprisonment and a swift execution. He ends up returning her to me 6 months later and I'm pretty happy at having a chance to get some heirs out of this marriage.
Then I notice her portrait, her purple eyes have turned black.

This sick son of a bitch kept her prisoner for a few months just to gouge her eyes out, then lets her go free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mashed Potato posted:

This sick son of a bitch kept her prisoner for a few months just to gouge her eyes out, then lets her go free.

Maybe she got a fair trial by a jury of her peers. :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Gimmick Account posted:

And I guess retinues going from 'way too good' directly to 'ruinous garbage' sucks, too. Oh well, adventurers got noticed and fixed eventually, so I guess I should try to be patient... :sigh:

I think the idea now is that retinues are for republics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gimmick Account posted:

If you can afford an extra expense of 40 to 60 gold (in addition to your levy costs) for several months, then congratulations: You are one of the aforementioned endgame-empires!

Retinues should have some practical use even for a small kingdom.

They didn't have that much practical use for small kingdoms before, due to caps.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just started playing again after buying the DLC. I just noticed now there's a vassal's limit, and I'm 50 vassals over the accepted amount; what should I do? Transfer vassals randomly? give them to the highest ranking vassal in the sorrounding area?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Mashed Potato posted:

Just tried out the Game of Thrones mod for this game tonight. Started as Ser Davos the Onion Knight and promptly died a couple of years in from a bout of illness. My useless first son inherits my single county title and then I manage to betroth him to Daenerys who is roughly five years old. A year after we get married King Robert demands I hand her over and I reluctantly comply, expecting a short imprisonment and a swift execution. He ends up returning her to me 6 months later and I'm pretty happy at having a chance to get some heirs out of this marriage.
Then I notice her portrait, her purple eyes have turned black.

She don't need eyes to make babies.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Republic 4 lyfe.

You realize this is an instant disqualification clause for any complaints about how cheap stuff is, right? The issue here really isn't that retinues are cheap, its that the money that republics make is ridiculously overpowered.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

radlum posted:

Just started playing again after buying the DLC. I just noticed now there's a vassal's limit, and I'm 50 vassals over the accepted amount; what should I do? Transfer vassals randomly? give them to the highest ranking vassal in the sorrounding area?

Create vassal kings.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gimmick Account posted:

Said it before, but I wish they hadn't tried to 'balance' this so much - That change really drives me nuts, it's so pointless and un-fun. Realms with tense vassal-liege relations already HAD problems with getting the desired candidate elected, as they should have. The old state of affairs was perfectly fine.

And I guess retinues going from 'way too good' directly to 'ruinous garbage' sucks, too. Oh well, adventurers got noticed and fixed eventually, so I guess I should try to be patient... :sigh:

The way elective should work is that it should be a bit similar to inviting people to your plot. They all have either red thumbs-down, green thumbs-up, or yellow "on the line". Handing out titles, bribery, and honorary titles should help tip the balance of electors towards your chosen heir. Characters who share traits with you, or have marriage ties, should be easier to tip towards your favor. It would make elective empires so much more interesting if you had to scrape and scramble -- if most characters tended to lean towards "yellow" -- in order to get your chosen heir elected.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Got a CTD, thought "it's fine - it's Jan 30th, I autosaved 29 days ago!". Even though it DID autosave, the only autosave I actually have is 30 years old :negative:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SeaTard posted:

It used to be the second best (after Tanistry, which was the same thing but kept it in the family), but was massively nerfed recently.

People keep saying this but I've yet to have a serious problem getting people to back the heirs I choose. Admittedly I have been playing mostly Kings and below lately. Is it something that happens more with empire level titles?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So went to find some kids and noticed there was a BLIND 2 year old.

Jesus Christ why would you blind a baby? What is wrong with you Byzantine?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Robindaybird posted:

So went to find some kids and noticed there was a BLIND 2 year old.

Children can be born blind.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*throws a teenager into a dark hole in the ground forever for complaining too much* Tch, but have you seen what those greeks get up to? It's just wrong...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh good. I didn't realize that was in the game's mechanics.

Least I hope it's a case of born blindness.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Blinded is a wound trait and is not hereditary.

code:

blinded = {
	sex_appeal_opinion = -10
	martial = -6
	stewardship = -2
	intrigue = -2
	health = -1

customizer = no

combat_rating = -10

blinding = yes

male_insult_adj = INSULT_BLIND
	female_insult_adj = INSULT_BLIND
}
no inherit_chance

you can totally capture a newborn in a siege and blind him if you're a sadistic greek gently caress though

e: seriously though I've had thousands of babies and not one was blind, ever. I'm calling shenanigans on you.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 22, 2014

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I learned a valuable lesson today: creating an Irish merchant republic is an exercise in frustration. Dealing with the constant Viking raids is obnoxious enough when you're feudal, but now you have to worry about them razing your trade posts and setting you back hundreds of gold. I think I've developed a Pavlovian response where my blood pressure rises every time I hear the jingling bell notification noise.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I sometimes end up capturing children and so on when besieging holdings, and sometimes I just plain forget about them because I forget to check the Intrigue screen. In my last Muslim game I happened to look at my intrigue screen and noticed that I had an imprisoned boy who had apparently been there for ten years. :gonk:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What, you don't forcibly reeducate children who you capture in war?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Excelzior posted:

Blinded is a wound trait and is not hereditary.

code:

blinded = {
	sex_appeal_opinion = -10
	martial = -6
	stewardship = -2
	intrigue = -2
	health = -1

customizer = no

combat_rating = -10

blinding = yes

male_insult_adj = INSULT_BLIND
	female_insult_adj = INSULT_BLIND
}
no inherit_chance

you can totally capture a newborn in a siege and blind him if you're a sadistic greek gently caress though

e: seriously though I've had thousands of babies and not one was blind, ever. I'm calling shenanigans on you.

My longest Byzantine game had my child turn blind at 0 years. I assumed it was an event.

I gave him Jerusalem as a consolation prize, it was kind of shame since he had 20 Diplomacy.

e: And it's not inherit_chance you're looking for, it's "birth".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 22, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raserys posted:

If they're old enough to stand, they're old enough to kneel at the executioner's block.

VVV there's no problem that can't be solved with more concubines

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So Tengri are permanently limited to complete Agnatic. That's annoying. Welp guess this playthrough is doomed since my idiot ruler can't seem to gently caress his way into a proper heir. That daughter with 10+ in every stat is just unworthy of leading a Turkish horde I suppose.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
I had one born in my dungeon and live there for 30 years because I forgot about them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Schizotek posted:

So Tengri are permanently limited to complete Agnatic. That's annoying. Welp guess this playthrough is doomed since my idiot ruler can't seem to gently caress his way into a proper heir. That daughter with 10+ in every stat is just unworthy of leading a Turkish horde I suppose.

Is it Ironman? You could otherwise mod Tengri into the requirements for Agnatic-Cognatic or Cognatic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I saw the King of England grow up in a dungeon, ending up as a slothful, content guy with less than 8 in every stat.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Volkerball posted:

It really sucks to try and do it on a laptop. Also congrats. I've played this game for hundreds of hours, and my chancellor has never fabricated a claim on a duchy before.

Wow. This ended up happening to me twice in this same game! And thanks to that I got a fairly quick(in my book) ascension to Emperor of Britannia. That means I won!! And I didn't even savescum I went through a ton of rulers till the good ones stuck around.

Next I'm gonna try the MUSLIMS!!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Next I'm gonna try the MUSLIMS!!

Are you an Ibadi enough dude to rescue the caliph?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Gimmick Account posted:

If you can afford an extra expense of 40 to 60 gold (in addition to your levy costs) for several months, then congratulations: You are one of the aforementioned endgame-empires!

Retinues should have some practical use even for a small kingdom.

Uh, if your limit even allows enough retinues to rack up 40 to 60 gold you're an endgame empire, there's no way in hell some plucky little duke anywhere has a big enough retinue cap to accommodate that. Worst case scenario you're Greek and somehow have enough of a retinue cap to have 14 units of cataphracts, which mean that it's at least 18,200. This cuts it just under 60 gold a month if every single retinue unit needs to regenerate soldiers at the same time. You can't somehow acquire a 18000+ retinue cap as a "small kingdom" without any way to fund them.

If you're a small kingdom, you maybe have a 3000 strong retinue cap, which would put you at 8.5 gold/month to regenerate your retinues. This is more than reasonable.

Retinues do have practical uses for everyone, it's just that they're not "Push this to win" buttons for the player anymore. The way they used to be was silly: having a huge volunteer professional standing army in 1000 AD.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 22, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I sometimes end up capturing children and so on when besieging holdings, and sometimes I just plain forget about them because I forget to check the Intrigue screen. In my last Muslim game I happened to look at my intrigue screen and noticed that I had an imprisoned boy who had apparently been there for ten years. :gonk:
Pfft. When my Vikings raid, they keep everybody they can't ransom back so they can sacrifice them to Odin later. I think I've kidnapped the same guy six times now and his house keep paying to have him returned. There's one woman who's been in my jail for 27 years. Arrived as a child. Her family still refuses to pay her ransom, so I guess we gotta play Wheel of Fortune on human sacrifices come the next Blot.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I had a rather silly moment as a poor-rear end Icelandic viking. I check my prisoners -- all good! It seems like I've got some, so I won't waste more money on my Blot! So I fire off the Blot, but to my surprise, I end up having to pay money to hang some poor nameless thralls instead! Astonished, I go back to my prisons-- apparently, the game won't let me sacrifice prisoners if they're still children.

Dang!!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Regarding duels, I thought I'd check out what traits contribute to combat rating. Here's how to be a real ultimate warrior:

Martial education (1 rating for any of them)
Brave (Duh. 1)
Possessed! (1)
Crusader (1)
Mujahid (1)
Genius (1)
Strong (Duh. 2)
Duelist (5!)
Berserker (3)
Varangian (2)
Saoshyant (5!)
Viking (1)

Some of these will be mutually exclusive, of course, but I guess it isn't surprising to find that the best fighters in the world will probably be vikings.
Hey, it's like circumcision. Better when they're young, so that they don't remember it.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Raserys posted:

Reeducate, and release if they learn to believe in the righteous might of <INSERT RELIGION HERE>. They'll have an interesting family reunion and their parents can live with their super spy child. :unsmigghh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

Reeducate, and release if they learn to believe in the righteous might of <INSERT RELIGION HERE>. They'll have an interesting family reunion and their parents can live with their super spy child. :unsmigghh:

Oh god, it's the best when you end up doing it to the heir of your rival. It's like, you've not only destroyed his house, burned his fields, and stripped him of his highest titles, but you also end up brainwashing his heir into an obedient slave to your will, indoctrinated in your culture and religion.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't judge me event window. I don't need your grief.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Pfft. When my Vikings raid, they keep everybody they can't ransom back so they can sacrifice them to Odin later. I think I've kidnapped the same guy six times now and his house keep paying to have him returned. There's one woman who's been in my jail for 27 years. Arrived as a child. Her family still refuses to pay her ransom, so I guess we gotta play Wheel of Fortune on human sacrifices come the next Blot.

Same. My favorite is to capture a toddler, and then keep her in prison until she turns 16. Then she becomes the concubine of my doge. My family is absolutely huge, so it's rare that my doge isn't at least 65 when he inherits. She then gets handed off from doge to doge every few years until she's 23-24, at which point, I imprison her and sacrifice her to Odin. Must be a hell of a life. It's ok, she will meet her prophet soon.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Did Steam mistakenly put Early Eastern Clothing, Early Western Clothing and Charlemagne Dynasty Shields on sale in the CKII sale right before the winter sale started? Because I distinctly remember buying them at 75% off, but I notice they're not on sale with the other DLC now.

Also, I have a totally noobish question to ask, even though I've been playing a while: Are base stats inheritable? Because I've been marrying most of my dynasty courtiers to people with good stats and I swear the children always have better stats than random dumbass "invite to court" courtiers.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Sucrose posted:

Did Steam mistakenly put Early Eastern Clothing, Early Western Clothing and Charlemagne Dynasty Shields on sale in the CKII sale right before the winter sale started? Because I distinctly remember buying them at 75% off, but I notice they're not on sale with the other DLC now.

I guess they did. Lucky me. :v:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sucrose posted:

Also, I have a totally noobish question to ask, even though I've been playing a while: Are base stats inheritable? Because I've been marrying most of my dynasty courtiers to people with good stats and I swear the children always have better stats than random dumbass "invite to court" courtiers.
No, but the stats they gain when growing between ages 6 and 16 are based on the tutor's stats, which may help explain it. Also, if you're raising them yourself, good traits can make a big difference to stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

So I went with a Charlemagne start as a minor Jarl, 200 years later I've reformed the Germanic Religion, converted to feudalism and formed the Empire of Scandinavia.

Throughout that I pillaged and raided my way across England, North and Western France and the top of Iberia when the pickings were slim elsewhere.

Not once have I had the "Viking" trait on any of my subjects or rulers? What triggers a character to have that trait?

• Locked thread