Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

really depends on which gateway you're using. US west is pretty much dead I think - but it should be possible to find something on northrend and possibly even US east. though 3v3 is probably the least popular gametype anyway - most people who just want to gently caress around in team games play 4v4, and serious business team-game players play 2v2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm trying to redownload my WarCraft III client (after not playing for... oh... Jesus, like ten years), but whenever I click the Windows download link on the battle.net download clients page, the page just reloads and nothing starts downloading. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rincewind posted:

I'm trying to redownload my WarCraft III client (after not playing for... oh... Jesus, like ten years), but whenever I click the Windows download link on the battle.net download clients page, the page just reloads and nothing starts downloading. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Do you have a script blocker or anything like that turned on?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

exquisite tea posted:

Do you have a script blocker or anything like that turned on?

Nope. I even tried it in a totally fresh installation of Chrome, just in case I had some script blocking extension in Firefox I'd forgotten about, somehow.

Edit: I found my old CDs, though, so maybe they'll still work.

Edit edit: Is there some way to unfuck the aspect ratio?

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 13, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Update to the latest version of WC3 (1.24?) and you can choose widescreen resolutions.

Or just use a Mac where every games was always widescreen/high res enabled. :woz:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

So, twelve and a half years later, give me a straight answer. Were Night Elves OP?

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

So, twelve and a half years later, give me a straight answer. Were Night Elves OP?

They were at one time. loving huntresses. They got fixed in FT.

Orcs were OP last I checked. loving Blade Master.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I don't recall much about huntresses, but I do remember the rage over mass human casters.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

No, undead was a tiny OP at low levels and under powered at the top levels by game win %, but really the maps effected the racial balance more than anything else.

But gently caress night elf, human, and blade master.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Right at release, Huntresses were the flavor of the week "cheese" tactic. You could just mass them and steamroll anyone who didn't know exactly what they were doing. But for a while, mass casters for orcs and humans was the shiiiiit.

idiot stupid
Aug 23, 2014

still a virgin
I have no problem rolling over anyone using heroes only and some riflemen on ladder. Of course, I imagine everyone playing right now are just crummy players like myself and don't know better.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Night Elf were OP for pretty much the whole of vanilla WC3 due to Huntress, Demon Hunter and Ancients. Not to say that other races didnt have there own incredibly powerful ways of playing. Pretty sure Undead was the weakest class in Vanilla. It was something like NE -> Orc -> Human -> Undead. I used to play a lot of Orc in vanilla and so many games came down to basically how the early game duel between Blademaster and Demon Hunter went.

FT was much more balanced.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
WarCraft: Armies Of Azeroth - StarCraft II mod: http://youtu.be/YcioVsilAdw

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cicero posted:

WarCraft: Armies Of Azeroth - StarCraft II mod: http://youtu.be/YcioVsilAdw

Just saw that now through a friend. I'm pretty excited for this, even though (due to the other reasons listed above) I doubt it will do much for Starcraft 2's modding. It probably requires the latest expansion too, now that I think about it.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
This thread inspired me to reinstall Warcraft 3 and play through the campaigns. Christ the unit pathing in this game is awful. Why does Arthas always end up at the back of the pack and then take an hour to get around my footmen while they're engaged in combat?!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You should really make sure to regroup a small, clear distance from wherever you want to fight, or your units will stream in one at a time like retards. But yeah for awhile it just feels terrible going back to the godawful WC3 pathing, you'll get used to it again.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWpiLecvdM
Singcast - Timg vs. Prower III part 1

Phasoms
Jan 27, 2004

<GLOMP>
lmao that is some amazing poo poo.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Really wish I'd gotten into this game's multiplayer when there was still a big scene. It's a lot more interesting to watch than SC2, and to my memory a lot more fun to play as well.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I reinstalled War 3 last night and just played some of the campaign. I miss this drat game so much. I miss what Warcraft was like and what it meant pre-WoW.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Firstborn posted:

I reinstalled War 3 last night and just played some of the campaign. I miss this drat game so much. I miss what Warcraft was like and what it meant pre-WoW.

You know, I still maintain that they hit a real sweet-spot with the extra Orc "campaign" which was basically like a single-player RPG where you play as Rexxar and Co. and wreck some poo poo and just level up and collect powerful artifacts. It was like proto-WoW, but I had more fun playing that than I ever did play WoW which lost something along the way.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The hybrid rts/rpg thing War3 they were going to make before deciding to make WoW instead sounded rad as gently caress

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Also, I'm sure this poo poo is never going to happen but the logical next step in the development of WoW after what they've done with garrisons this expansion is to let your character become a leader of armies. gently caress arenas and terrible pvp that only retards enjoy, make the next WoW have a pvp mode that is a full-fledged Warcraft RTS experience.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That'd just be sweet. I also just want War3 with updated graphics but whatever. War3 was my favorite of any of the blizzard games.

color
Feb 5, 2007

I will spell the name,
"W-I-L-F-O-R-K"

Remember it.
If anyone's still playing ladder and wants to tower on US East battle.net I'm still playing as soxfan68, let me know!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Adam Bowen posted:

The hybrid rts/rpg thing War3 they were going to make before deciding to make WoW instead sounded rad as gently caress

You mean the pre-alpha WC3? It's kinda trippy seeing the Necromancer model as a Hero unit or reading about weird abilities, like Headhunters who stealth and get bonus sight radius when they stand still.

My favorite bit of trivia is that you could pack Riflemen in the Steam Tank and they could attack poo poo.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hey OP: Just so you can get something right in your post, MOBA's started with Aeon of Strife. DOTA stole its everything from AoS.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Pre-DOTA Allstars was the best time in MOBAs, when people just churned out these horribly unbalanced maps that were super fun to play. I forgot what it was called, but there was one on a huuuge tileset that had little villages in between all the lanes and stuff, gave it a really cool sense of scale.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

HitTheTargets posted:

You mean the pre-alpha WC3? It's kinda trippy seeing the Necromancer model as a Hero unit or reading about weird abilities, like Headhunters who stealth and get bonus sight radius when they stand still.

My favorite bit of trivia is that you could pack Riflemen in the Steam Tank and they could attack poo poo.

Man I remember being able to do that and it was all sorts of unbalanced. That and uncapped Blizzard damage where the AOE radius got bigger with each level up.

Also this might be old news but if you want some good videos to watch with a pretty entertaining commentator check out Wtiiwarcraft on youtube. He's not pro by any means but he does a lot of 4v4s and viewer requested unusual and funny strategies. Plus it's fun listening him rant about map hackers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLkuZD3BR_4vujh_NKwm1w

Constantine XI fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 5, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Holy crap I was just getting the urge to play some WC3 and then I found this thread! Reinstalled and I'm on US East as DrunkOrc

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

grimcreaper posted:

Hey OP: Just so you can get something right in your post, MOBA's started with Aeon of Strife. DOTA stole its everything from AoS.

Sorry I knew that and I got it wrong anyway.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Adam Bowen posted:

Warcraft 4 should've just been their DOTA clone with Warcraft heroes, it would have been amazing, but WoW was a bit too successful and they wouldn't release another Warcraft game that'd clash with it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Adam Bowen posted:

I remember that too. It seriously sounded fun. Almost like a King's Bounty game, except the battles were RTS. I wish that became a thing.

Warcraft 3 UMS map days were glorious, don't get me wrong, but that original hybrid concept sounded so loving good. I wonder what made them change their mind.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I think that Blizzard got really interested in Everquest, so they decided to turn the RPG stuff into WoW and used Warcraft 3 as a straight RTS to set the stage for that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They should just say everything after Warcraft 3 (or even vanilla wow) was alternate universe poo poo and just make a warcraft 4 from there, all the while churning out more wow content for the people that need it.

old man on a horse
Dec 27, 2014

I don't waste my magic on just anything
Arent they starting that with Warlords of Draenor? At least I thought that was the expansion's story. Either way it seems like a good idea. Take everything they've learned about RTS games in recent years with SC2 and make the next big one in the Warcraft universe.

old man on a horse fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 6, 2015

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If they release Warcraft 4 and keep the characters good I'll be in heaven. It's travesty what they did to Kerrigan and Raynor in SC2, two amazing characters reduced to unrecognisable trash.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Once I accepted that it was ridiculous and I should watch it like it's Dragonball Z or something, Starcraft 2's story became a lot more enjoyable.

Edit: This happened around the point in Heart of the Swarm where Kerrigan and Narud get into an energy beam struggle.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Flayer posted:

If they release Warcraft 4 and keep the characters good I'll be in heaven. It's travesty what they did to Kerrigan and Raynor in SC2, two amazing characters reduced to unrecognisable trash.

They were never amazing characters, but they were still a lot better than the Stephanie Meyer characters they became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Jsor posted:

Once I accepted that it was ridiculous and I should watch it like it's Dragonball Z or something, Starcraft 2's story became a lot more enjoyable.

Edit: This happened around the point in Heart of the Swarm where Kerrigan and Narud get into an energy beam struggle.

Or the time in Wings of Liberty when Mengsk's son waits for Raynor to board his ship and kill his guys before talking to him, instead of just opening up a communications screen when he warps in.