Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Doc Morbid posted:

Started a new game because my original 20-hour save was lost when my old computer died. In the eight months that have passed since the last time I played a Souls game, I may or may not have forgotten that skeletons can parry and riposte you. :downs:

Why yes, I almost got killed by that one skeleton in the Majula mansion's basement. That would have been the most embarrassing bloodstain.

Doesn't matter, there's tons of bloodstains down there for some reason. More than in any of the boss rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I know, but my last post in this thread was basically "man, all these guys getting owned by one puny skeleton, har harr people sure are bad at Dark Souls!"

:downsowned:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

I know, but my last post in this thread was basically "man, all these guys getting owned by one puny skeleton, har harr people sure are bad at Dark Souls!"

:downsowned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGbzr2LJUw

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gologle posted:

Isn't the strongest weapon in the game a staff anyway?

Wait, which one?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The "strongest" weapons i've used are the red iron twin blade or the smelter demon hammer, so i'd be curious which staff he's talking about.

Of course like other loadouts they're situational and depend on builds and have other strengths and shortcomings. On its own "the strongest weapon in the game" is a meaningless undefined term.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Black Witch's Staff has the highest AR in the game due to having AR in all four categories.

You just would never notice with a swing, because staff swings modify the AR down a bit. If they didn't, every stick swing would do something like 900 damage.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sanctum Shield shield bash does a surprising amount of damage actually. It's not the most powerful melee weapon by any means, but the fact that you're considered to be blocking while doing a shield bash certainly counts for a lot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm surprised I'm getting this many hits for Covetous Demon co-op, I pretty much get summoned immediately after putting down my sunbro sign. I'm assuming these are all people who got eaten on their first attempt and went ":gonk: gently caress this, I'm getting some backup" because it really isn't a hard fight at all.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm surprised I'm getting this many hits for Covetous Demon co-op, I pretty much get summoned immediately after putting down my sunbro sign. I'm assuming these are all people who got eaten on their first attempt and went ":gonk: gently caress this, I'm getting some backup" because it really isn't a hard fight at all.

Or maybe people just see some signs, think "yeah might as well grab a buddy". Co-op is fun.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, that is probably the actual reason, but I like my silly theory better. :v:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so i stopped playing after beating the first dlc way back. did the new 2 add any cool looking armors? or am i just going to be stuck in this templar armor for the rest of eternity?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, they added Silver Knight and Black Knight knockoffs that just do not cut the mustard.

To add insult to injury, they spat in the face of everyone who ever asked for a Silver Knight set with cape physics by not giving the Silver Knight knockoff a cape.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 22, 2014

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
I was thinking of buying this since I no longer have a 360 and haven't played since launch. I think there's one annoying thing that may be a dealbreaker, though. I recall, at least at launch on a 360, being summoned to defeat bosses wouldn't always restore your humanity. Sometimes you'd get it back on the first try, other times it'd seemingly take a dozen or more times for it to count. I remember this made the Smelter Demon infuriating because I was bad at the game and needed all the help I could get. Was this ever fixed, or was it actually a poorly explained game mechanic?

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Anyone have a decent paladin-like build/loadout for sunbroing? I've never toyed around with miracles which ones will I want to jump on for a good co-op support character? So far I've been rolling through the game as a tank. Right now I'm at 15 VGR, 20 END, 35 VIT, 32 STR, 14 DEX and wearing a +4 suit of Elite Knight Armor with a +3 Tower Shield and +5 Morning Star and find that I can tank very effectively and don't feel too fat when I get swarmed. How should I go about respecing if I'd like to eventually be able to tank with the Sun Sword and cast heals/support stuff?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ederick posted:

I was thinking of buying this since I no longer have a 360 and haven't played since launch. I think there's one annoying thing that may be a dealbreaker, though. I recall, at least at launch on a 360, being summoned to defeat bosses wouldn't always restore your humanity. Sometimes you'd get it back on the first try, other times it'd seemingly take a dozen or more times for it to count. I remember this made the Smelter Demon infuriating because I was bad at the game and needed all the help I could get. Was this ever fixed, or was it actually a poorly explained game mechanic?

You always get it back now.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

IGgy IGsen posted:

Doesn't matter, there's tons of bloodstains down there for some reason. More than in any of the boss rooms.

Isn't this because for every NG+ increment there is an extra skeleton down there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYbUnaV6QYA

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

flowinprose posted:

Isn't this because for every NG+ increment there is an extra skeleton down there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYbUnaV6QYA

There were a shitton of bloodstains in there on day one of the console release, so no.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, well...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

By that point you should really not be having problems with skeletons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can understand it. The skeleton in the basement of the mansion is the first enemy you encounter that is vastly resistant to slash damage, which is 3/4ths of the weapons you can get in the early game. Also it can parry you. And it has no flesh which is spooky.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Mans posted:

Yeah, well...

Good job, Skeleton

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Never underestimate spooky scary skeletons.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

By that point you should really not be having problems with skeletons.

I burned about seven ascetics at level 140 to see what would happen :v:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well I feel like a dick. So, Dickwraith story time (we need more of those by the way, some of the best stories to come out of Souls games)

Okay, so I invade the crypt, lookin' to gently caress with people using Silver Talismans. Not trying to fight mind you, just make someone's day a bit more fun. So I pop in, and I'm right in the middle of the Syan stretch and--surprise surprise--the host and a sunbro are already there fighting. Well, that was a quick search. So I break out a talisman, turn into a rock and start running around. Clearly I'm not here for a fight, I mean, if I was I just would have stabbed them when they were fighting the knights.

They don't agree, break off from the knights, and start chasing me with intent to kill. My rocky rear end of course runs away. They chased me through most of the crypt, past the shortcut, into the graveyard, but they stop short of the Wall hallway. I continue on and jump down the hall into the second graveyard, expecting an ambush. Nope. Looks like they got tired of chasing me. Well, now I'm just kind of annoyed.

I head back to the hall, and they're fighting the knights again. They apparently hadn't noticed me yet.

So I sorta... rang the bell. They're now neck deep into a horde of ghosts. The sunbro is almost dead. 2 arrows to the back didn't help.

Now the host notices me, now they recognize that they're screwed. They run out of the hall with me right behind them. Guess where they run? That's right, down the same path they just chased me. The host jumps down the pit. I follow.

Did I mention that they didn't clear out the second graveyard yet? Because they didn't.

The host, realizing they are now ultra hosed tries to run away again. Went down the wrong hallway. Now they're trapped by a bell with me right in front of them., and at least 4 ghosts right behind me trying to spam firestorm.

Host didn't make it.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is why you always carry giant seeds.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mans posted:

I burned about seven ascetics at level 140 to see what would happen :v:

What happened was you making a mistake. Why would you even do that? :psyduck:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
What I'm trying to get at is that there's no shame in being killed by something that could be Halloween decoration. Those are sometimes disturbingly realistic.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The skeleton will OHK a new character if it parries you.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ederick posted:

Getting your humanity back after being summoned was actually a bug at launch. Player response to the bug was so uniformly positive that From patched the game a few weeks after launch so that being summoned successfully would always restore your humanity.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

gtrmp posted:

Getting your humanity back after being summoned was actually a bug at launch. Player response to the bug was so uniformly positive that From patched the game a few weeks after launch so that being summoned successfully would always restore your humanity.

what, really?

I could have sworn they alluded to this effect explicitly in-game somewhere.

The bigger problem with the system is that the rewards for small soapstone are way better than the reward for large soapstone. Small soapstone gives you shiny rocks that you can trade for all sorts of extremely rare poo poo like invasion orbs or infusion stones. Large soapstone gives you.... a pointless trophy. Unless you really prefer the funcop arena over the bloodbro arena for whatever reason. Healing dumbass hosts who are on the verge of getting themselves killed is a nice side benefit (I must be the only person who uses fidelity tokens for this purpose), but the animation takes way too long.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It was perfect in Demons Souls and they've gone out of their way in every game since to make it worse and more needlessly complicated.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't miss the rating system from Demon's Souls.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

gtrmp posted:

No, other way around - people weren't getting their humanity back after being summoned a lot of the time, which was the bug. They fixed it so you'd get it back every time pretty quickly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

IGgy IGsen posted:

What I'm trying to get at is that there's no shame in being killed by something that could be Halloween decoration. Those are sometimes disturbingly realistic.

I wish Dark Souls contained small fuzzy bats that would bounce around your head being a nuisance :drac:

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Lightning heide knight sword good for pve yes/no? Any alternative suggestions?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So ... I just came across a trio bossfight, and I feel like I'm underleveled/underequipped for this fight. What's a good soul level to aim for to take them on, and is there a better area to go to first?

My biggest frustration is that there are 17k souls behind that fog door and I don't know how to get them back. Probably have to try and survive long enough for a homeward bone.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

what, really?

I could have sworn they alluded to this effect explicitly in-game somewhere.

The bigger problem with the system is that the rewards for small soapstone are way better than the reward for large soapstone. Small soapstone gives you shiny rocks that you can trade for all sorts of extremely rare poo poo like invasion orbs or infusion stones. Large soapstone gives you.... a pointless trophy. Unless you really prefer the funcop arena over the bloodbro arena for whatever reason. Healing dumbass hosts who are on the verge of getting themselves killed is a nice side benefit (I must be the only person who uses fidelity tokens for this purpose), but the animation takes way too long.

The token you get from the large stone can be used to heal the host I think. The idea was to take ganking to the next level I think.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Crossposting from the DS1 thread:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I didn't buff before my Last Giant fight on my latest run and noticed a move I've never seen him do before

he just got worn out mid-fight and took a dive

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a retard posted:

wait what in the gently caress?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

a retard posted:

What the hell? The only thing I can think is that they blame DSfix for that debug mode getting out or something weird like that.