Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

who is the powerful grandma

this will be answered in zelda wii u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is so easy to perfect shield in this game that it is the best option you have available.

Rolls can be punished, air dodges can be predicted, but shields are so lenient in this with their durability and ease of perfect shield timing that it makes it the best defensive option by far, and the best shields have ever been.

This has the side effect of heavily rewarding defensive play and defensive tactics over making big plays, and punishing attempts at offense.
Unless you're Marth/Lucina and can break shields by tapping B. :q:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

powershielding nullifies shield breakers though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Unless you're Marth/Lucina and can break shields by tapping B. :q:

I main Lucina and half the time your B will get perfect shielded, which means it does absolutely nothing to their shield.

E: sharrrrrrrk

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

sharrrk posted:

powershielding nullifies shield breakers though

Which is dumb. Why on earth is shielding ever a viable defense against Shield Breaker?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

RyokoTK posted:

Which is dumb. Why on earth is shielding ever a viable defense against Shield Breaker?

It's a perfect shield. Nothing can break through perfection. Except grabs.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ganondorf's moveset is perfect and if you want some stupid sword poo poo moveset then you need to reevaluate your tastes

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Ganondorf's moveset is perfect and if you want some stupid sword poo poo moveset then you need to reevaluate your tastes

we should fight again

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I want pig trident Ganon. Or Veran, for no good reason.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYY-9sECvqk

I recorded my 3DS like a caveman and edited the footage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Sakurai said something like 'we could change him, but then fans of his current moves would be unhappy, so I left him as-is'.

I mean clearly it's just a design choice by now, even if it's a weird one to stick with. It was originally just a last second thing("hey we could put Ganondorf on Falcon's rig, they're both the same proportions!" Or whatever) but I guess he feels stuck with it.

See also: Dr. Mario's inclusion in this game. He was upgraded from being a simple alt because Sakurai felt that Dr. Mario would not be the same as Mario in the eyes of older Melee fans, and they had time to make some clone characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone wanna smash?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

we should fight again

So you can kick my rear end as ganon again?

sounds good to me!!!!! But not tonight.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

So you can kick my rear end as ganon again?

sounds good to me!!!!! But not tonight.

i was gonna say palutena, but it is true that i control the Darkness as well as the Light

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

I really hope that the 3DS version stages get ported to Wii U as a DLC pack...I love Smash 4, but in terms of stages, 3DS has way more that I'm enthusiastic about playing on than the Wii U version. Magicant and Mute City are the obvious standouts, but I like Find Mii's gimmick, and the Kirby Dream Land and Tortimer Island stages are favorites of mine.

The 3DS stages were almost universally unplayable garbage

I liked Dream Land though!

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 22, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked Dream Land though

What's it like to hate awesome stages? I don't think there are any 3DS stages I actively dislike and only a couple that I'm ambivalent about.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I liked Dream Land though

They're just so cramped and tiny. The worst stages had a lot of annoying platforms like the Pacman stage or Distant Planet, or too many walls or annoying hazards like Mushroomy Kingdom or Spirit Tracks. And the Megaman stage, namely the Yellow Devil every twenty seconds.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

What's it like to hate awesome stages? I don't think there are any 3DS stages I actively dislike and only a couple that I'm ambivalent about.

The Wii U in general just has better stages. The 3DS ones felt like they were designed around weaker hardware so they had to fill the stage with gimmicks like the coins, flying men, everything in Balloon Fight, the Paper Mario stage that starts with a cool concept and ends with the terrible, terrible bowser section

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

... ends with the terrible, terrible bowser section

Oh god, that's probably the worst. Most people I saw online would just stand still at that point, defending only one of the two dinky platforms they were on. God help you if you get stuck on the Bowser statue.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The only thing that bothers me about the 3DS stages is that many of them feel like they belonged on the Wii U based on that whole "portable/console" split thing they mentioned between the two versions. F-Zero, Magicant, and Balloon Fight in particular, though I guess Gerudo Valley as well if you don't count portable ports of games. They probably could've put Hanenbow on the 3DS version as a familiar stage. I guess it's more difficult to think up of stages based on portable games for some of the franchises represented, though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm glad they decided to put all of the bad stages on the worse version of the game, so that the better version could have the good stages

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Neither version has Poke Floats though, a missed opportunity to have the best stage back.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sharrrk posted:

i'm glad they decided to put all of the bad stages on the worse version of the game, so that the better version could have the good stages

That sounds really awful and insulting, but truth be told you're right, and it probably was their plan of action from the beginning. I don't think anybody would've bought the 3DS version if it was released afterwards. If they had a choice, that is.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
bring back fountain of dreams!!!

The music is so good.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Had some good fights against a Marth tonight. Got weirded out when I noticed he was trying to communicate with me by changing his name between bouts.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The first step toward Wii Sentience. Soon the Amiibos will be our only friends.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Neither version has Poke Floats though, a missed opportunity to have the best stage back.

Orbital Gate Assault is the new Poke Floats.

3DS stages were garbage and pretty much the only new ones that were good and not super obnoxious were Tomadachi Life and Prism Tower. And both of those stages are super bland.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Anyone in the thread made cool stuff in stage builder? My first order of business would be to draw Saffron City on tracing paper, tape it to the tv, and reproduce to its exact specifications of perfect glory.

Works best if an extra player is willing to camp out and occasionally spam from the pokemon door.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

My friend made a near-perfect replica of Corneria. He used photoshop and a grid to try to get the whole thing as accurate as possible. The laser cannon on front is tipped with lava and there's even a Star Fox emblem on the fin of the ship. It's amazing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

New Miiverse song found It's a amazing Nintendo Land Medley

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
So I've clocked well over 15 hours of actual gameplay time now and apart from picking pac land once to try it out I have only used whatever random stage the computer picks for me. I find it strange how the new Kirby stage has not come up, even once.

Also, a couple of questions: Why are some of the master order choices gold? Are they better prizes or something? Are CD's not available as item drops anymore? I have only won them from challenges and master/crazy orders.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Balcony posted:

So I've clocked well over 15 hours of actual gameplay time now and apart from picking pac land once to try it out I have only used whatever random stage the computer picks for me. I find it strange how the new Kirby stage has not come up, even once.

Also, a couple of questions: Why are some of the master order choices gold? Are they better prizes or something? Are CD's not available as item drops anymore? I have only won them from challenges and master/crazy orders.

Great Cave Offensive is a bad stage and you should be happy it's never come up.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Great Cave Offensive is a bad stage and you should be happy it's never come up.

No joke I was sitting here thinking for a good minute "Wait... what new Kirby stage?" until you mentioned it was Great Cave Offensive.

Must've blocked that stage from my memory.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

My friend made a near-perfect replica of Corneria. He used photoshop and a grid to try to get the whole thing as accurate as possible. The laser cannon on front is tipped with lava and there's even a Star Fox emblem on the fin of the ship. It's amazing.

Corneria being missing was probably one of the most disappointing things about the WiiU version. It seems like every time I bring my WiiU over to my friends place somebody asks for Corneria, I have to explain that it isn't there, and then everybody is just kind of like 'oh' :(

I'd take Corneria over Lylatt Cruise any day of the week, this hosed up world we live in

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah but Orbital Gate Assault is better than both Corneria and Lylat.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

If you like poo poo stages then sure.

THE loving MOON posted:

Corneria being missing was probably one of the most disappointing things about the WiiU version. It seems like every time I bring my WiiU over to my friends place somebody asks for Corneria, I have to explain that it isn't there, and then everybody is just kind of like 'oh' :(

I'd take Corneria over Lylatt Cruise any day of the week, this hosed up world we live in

I'll try and grab a picture of the stage next time I play on it so you can steal the idea for your buds.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 22, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RyokoTK posted:

Lylat cruise is so boring for a stage that travels through space and through planets. I'm always amazed how boring of a stage they made with that concept.

Orbital Gate Assault rules EXCEPT for one specific part where the bomb explodes and there's a chance you'll be exploded too low and you can't get back up to the ships as there's no place to edge grab so you'll just fall and die. Still a sweet stage though

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Yup. Orbital Gate Assault is one of my favorite Smash stages in the whole series, it's like Big Blue but even cooler. Corneria is still a better stage than Lylatt, though

edit:

Kaubocks posted:

I'll try and grab a picture of the stage next time I play on it so you can steal the idea for your buds.

That would be awesome, thanks. I made a stage based on Freespace that's kinda sorta like it, but I haven't bothered trying to actually remake Corneria yet.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 22, 2014

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Overall I'm a little disappointed in the stages. I thought Brawl had the best stage mix, but this version uses retreads of too many maps from Brawl and Melee. There's not enough original ones, and the retreads are bad choices. As much as I enjoy the music to Hyrule Temple, it's a bad stage and isn't much different to Palutena's Temple. Norfair and Pyrosphere are bad representations of the Metroid universe too. Also, how does Norfair not have the music from Magmoor Caverns / Norfair Depths (from Super Metroid)? Missed opportunity right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

That would be awesome, thanks. I made a stage based on Freespace that's kinda sorta like it, but I haven't bothered trying to actually remake Corneria yet.

Corneria: https://twitter.com/jiggerstick/status/547063288786210817/photo/1

• Locked thread