Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Got a 500GB Intel SSD. Now when I'm trying to clone the old Kingston 120GB drive with Reflect, I get Clone Failed - Read failed - 13- Broken pipe. What should I try?

e: fixed error message, was Read failed and not Write failed. Sorry!

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Got a 500GB Intel SSD. Now when I'm trying to clone the old Kingston 120GB drive with Reflect, I get Clone Failed - Read failed - 13- Broken pipe. What should I try?

e: fixed error message, was Read failed and not Write failed. Sorry!

Did a quick google on that error and found this topic:
http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5698

Looks like you need to run chkdsk and see if that fixes the issue.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Cactus Jack posted:

Looks like you need to run chkdsk and see if that fixes the issue.

I did that before first cloning attempt, didn't want to clone any errors. Didn't help.

Do Kingston V100 drives have any other tools you could try besides chkdsk? Fix in the thread you linked seemed to be some specialized tool from Seagate.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
SeaTools only does anything of note on Seagate drives. Otherwise, the most it will do is report SMART information (a bog-standard function, Crystal Disk Info does it better) or trigger the drive's SMART self-test routine (also bog-standard, also fairly useless). Chkdsk is recommended because it is the only tool you can run at this stage that might fix the problem. If it's not something Chkdsk can fix, you need to move on to actual data recovery and abandon cloning, because in that case, it's dimes to dollars there's a hardware problem with the drive.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, not looking so good. The drive was tasked with fetching data at X LBA and it was not successful, returning a critical medium error or some poo poo.
You can try cloning the drive in a Linux Live CD using dd or some data recovery software - you'd be aiming to skip the bad LBAs, basically, but at least you'll get the affected addresses and someone might be able to more finely narrow down on your next steps.

You're probably going to find it easier reinstalling on the fresh drive and copying over what you can (or need) afterwards. It sounds lovely, I know, but you won't easily know what files are affected, and if they're even worth saving. There's probably a ton of crap that you don't even need on the drive as it is, so you're just cloning a lot of cruft over.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Hm, rapid mode on Magician 4.4 is casing BSODs for me. Found out there's a 4.5 while looking for a 4.3 installer so I guess I'll give that a go first.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't get cloning to work. Creating an image and restoring it worked.

:gas:

Thank god it did, I've got a crapton of software I really didn't want to reinstall and -configure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The 480GB 730 is on sale for $199 today: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167192

Not as good as it was ~3 weeks ago, but not a bad price.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
the samsung evo 840 500gb is $209 on newegg with free far cry 4 code...seems like an ok deal - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249&cm_re=samsung_evo_840-_-20-147-249-_-Product

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got Haggis? posted:

the samsung evo 840 500gb is $209 on newegg with free far cry 4 code...seems like an ok deal - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249&cm_re=samsung_evo_840-_-20-147-249-_-Product
I actually just ordered that yesterday :dance:

I already compared the two on the Anandtech SSD Benchmark site, but just to reinforce it, how much better is this thing going to perform for me than my current Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD from I think early 2012? That benchmark made it look like the 840 EVO is like at least twice as fast in most cases, which I can't comprehend because I've never felt like my current Patriot was slow at all :psyduck: In fact, quite the opposite.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I actually just ordered that yesterday :dance:

I already compared the two on the Anandtech SSD Benchmark site, but just to reinforce it, how much better is this thing going to perform for me than my current Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD from I think early 2012? That benchmark made it look like the 840 EVO is like at least twice as fast in most cases, which I can't comprehend because I've never felt like my current Patriot was slow at all :psyduck: In fact, quite the opposite.

For most users, most of the time, any ssd will perform well enough in everyday use that you're not going to tell the difference. It'll help with large file transfers and anything else that puts heavy load on the drive, but it's hard for most people on a single personal computer to max out an ssd for any length of time.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I actually just ordered that yesterday

I got and installed the same thing last week, replaced an Intel 330 240gig. It was very noticeably quicker, and the Intel drive was fast as hell already.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I noticed a few second improvement in boot time and load time on dragon age inquisition when I replaced my sandisk extreme with an 840 evo but obviously that's just a small improvement on what was already super fast compared to any HDD.

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Are consumer NVMe SSDs likely to be released anytime soon in wide availability?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

cycleback posted:

Are consumer NVMe SSDs likely to be released anytime soon in wide availability?

Not until you see PCIe M.2 and SATA Express on chipsets other than Z97 (which has spotty boot support) and X99. So I'd expect the first commercially-available ones to come along once a chipset does that is more mainstream-focused. As it stands, 1) there's a ton of SATA SSDs that OEMs still need to clear out that will make that $599 discount Dell feel like the best and fastest computer John Q. Schmuckatella has ever bought, and 2) really no technical need at present outside of specialized workstations and servers for the kind of performance that the drives offer.

...also, it's also a matter of free PCIe lanes. Some people trying to cram full their x99 boards with 3-4-way SLI are finding their x4 M.2 SSDs are coming up short on performance even with the 40-lane Haswell-E chips because they expect things to 'just work' when they plug them in.

The only NVMe-equivalent SSD I know of that works on *all* systems thanks in large part to it 'fooling' a motherboards BIOS is this (and it uses a rather dated SF controller): http://anandtech.com/show/8752/gskill-phoenix-blade-480gb-pcie-ssd-review

EDIT: the linked drive isn't NVMe.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 22, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only NVMe SSD I know of that works on *all* systems thanks in large part to it 'fooling' a motherboards BIOS is this (and it uses a rather dated SF controller): http://anandtech.com/show/8752/gskill-phoenix-blade-480gb-pcie-ssd-review

According to the review, that drive is a PCIe RAID controller connected to several SandForce SATA SSDs. That's not NVMe at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The current prices are the Black Friday prices. Cyber Monday is a different matter, but it's unlikely to be more than a $10 cheaper, and my guess is they'll actually be more expensive.

The biggest question is whether the 850 Evo is worth holding out for. Signs point to a superior drive than the 840 Evo, but my understanding is that they will be priced higher than the pre-discounted 840 Evo price due to V-NAND having longer endurance and the drives themselves carrying a longer warranty.

For a 500GB OS drive that I'd hold onto for at least 3 years, I'd say yes, but who knows when they'll breach $200.
It seems the 500GB 850 Evo is going for $250 on Amazon and Newegg now. All we need is a $50 coupon of some sort to get below $200 and it's off to the races.

And by races I mean my Amex.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'd expect PCIe and NVMe SSDs to come into their own with Skylake, because IIRC they will come with 20 PCIe lanes instead of 16 on consumer SKUs- the perfect amount to maintain a full GPU link while still having a full m.2 or Thunderbolt hookup left over.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
So, although it's at Memory Express getting "checked", I came across this thread and figured I'd ask about the problem I'm having. A couple months ago I bought a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB for WIndows and a 1TB for games. Reinstalled Windows fresh and everything was great. Ran the Samsung Performance Restoral tool just in case, everything came back great. So fast forward to a week ago and the problems begin.

EVE Online released a big update so I started it and then left for work. Came home and there was an exception error message on my screen and the EVE launcher says patch failed. Weird I shut down the launcher and restarted it but it said it couldn't find the executable. Check the system and the drive has vanished from Windows completely so I reboot and its back just fine. Start the patch again and within 5 minutes, exception happens again.

Thinking its something wrong with the patch, I decided to reinstall EVE fresh. Started the download and within 5 minutes, exception. World of Warcraft however worked just fine, and had zero problem with the Curse Client updating addons and everything. Then, as a test, I decided to uninstall and reinstall WoW. Started the download and within 5 minutes, Bnet crashed and the drive was gone.

I'm running an Asus P8P67 Pro with up to date BIOS, Windows 7 64bit is up to date. I ran the Samsung Performance Restoral and Magician and nothing changed. I installed WoW on my 120GB Windows drive and no problem. I have the Extended Warranty on it so it's at the shop but they ran a diagnostic on it and couldn't find a problem. They've got it for extended testing and hopefully they can duplicate the problem but is there anything else that it could be?

SiliconX fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 23, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Run memtest 86

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Did you pickup the board when P67 launched? The initial revision had issues with the SATA controller (it ate itself).

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 23, 2014

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg
Based on the advice in the OP I have ordered an 850 Pro 512 GB for my Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Should be in tomorrow. I will be using TRIM Enabler, so TRIM should work fine. Would enabling FileVault be a bad idea? I've searched around and it seems like most people think it will be fine, but just wanted a sanity check here too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So...uhhh....anyone had an EVO 840 fail on them?

Edit: I just updated to Magician 4.5 from the software prompt and it ended up bricking the drive. I got a BSOD and had horrible hitching in games and thinking I had a psu problem I swapped that out and now my drive isn't recognized in the bios nor the windows 8.1 install DVD. Right now I'm letting it soak at the bios for 30 minutes per the OP.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 24, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Amazon sent me an email about a sale on SSDs.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pe_304210_129587200_pe_epc_fl?rh=i%3Acomputers%2Cn%3A1292116011&field-pct-off-mp-owner=40-&ie=UTF8

Are any of these any good?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Intel (530, 730) and Samsungs are pretty good, although most were a little cheaper around black friday.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Anti-Hero posted:

So...uhhh....anyone had an EVO 840 fail on them?

Edit: I just updated to Magician 4.5 from the software prompt and it ended up bricking the drive. I got a BSOD and had horrible hitching in games and thinking I had a psu problem I swapped that out and now my drive isn't recognized in the bios nor the windows 8.1 install DVD. Right now I'm letting it soak at the bios for 30 minutes per the OP.

That sucks, but poo poo happens. I had an Intel 320 SSD fail on me - the drive so reliable that Intel upgraded the warranty from 3 years to 5 years, gratis.

If you can get back in to it, then check it for uncorrectable bad sectors, and if there aren't any, take an image. If there are, back it up your files without taking an image. Either way, RMA the drive.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

That sucks, but poo poo happens. I had an Intel 320 SSD fail on me - the drive so reliable that Intel upgraded the warranty from 3 years to 5 years, gratis.

If you can get back in to it, then check it for uncorrectable bad sectors, and if there aren't any, take an image. If there are, back it up your files without taking an image. Either way, RMA the drive.

After letting it sit at the BIOS for an hour AND placing it in my brother's machine I can safely say it's dead. Merry loving Christmas. I'll get in touch with Samsung - anyone have any experience with their RMA process and what kind of turn around time I can expect? I'm considering just buying an 850 Pro and selling the RMA'd unit when it comes back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Disgustipated posted:

Based on the advice in the OP I have ordered an 850 Pro 512 GB for my Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Should be in tomorrow. I will be using TRIM Enabler, so TRIM should work fine. Would enabling FileVault be a bad idea? I've searched around and it seems like most people think it will be fine, but just wanted a sanity check here too.
Just another should be fine answer here as far as FileVault, but if you're paranoid about security and happen to be running Yosemite you shouldn't use TRIM Enabler, at least for now. The problem afaik is that you have to disable kernel extension code signing entirely...and the 850 Pro should be fine without TRIM anyway iirc.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Is there a way to see what application is doing all the writes on my SSD? I bought a 840EVO 250gb a month ago and it's already at 900GB writes, which i think is a bit high.
I know you can check all the reads/writes with Process Monitor but I don't know how to set it to monitor writes only, otherwise i get like 10 million events per hour.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

japtor posted:

Just another should be fine answer here as far as FileVault, but if you're paranoid about security and happen to be running Yosemite you shouldn't use TRIM Enabler, at least for now. The problem afaik is that you have to disable kernel extension code signing entirely...and the 850 Pro should be fine without TRIM anyway iirc.

Yeah I know TRIM enabler disables kext signing, I'm ok with that. I'll give FileVault a shot and see how it goes

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

LooKMaN posted:

Is there a way to see what application is doing all the writes on my SSD? I bought a 840EVO 250gb a month ago and it's already at 900GB writes, which i think is a bit high.
I know you can check all the reads/writes with Process Monitor but I don't know how to set it to monitor writes only, otherwise i get like 10 million events per hour.

Process Explorer has a I/O Write Bytes column. Just leave it running in the background for a while and see what stands out.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Avulsion posted:

Process Explorer has a I/O Write Bytes column. Just leave it running in the background for a while and see what stands out.

The issue with this is that I/O Writes can also be to things other than disk, I believe it can also cover entirely virtual in-system things like named pipes. And not every write to a file may ever touch a disk.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So is there a good way to confirm my Sandisk Extreme SSD has some sort of poo poo sectors on it? Having constant hardlocks when writing large streams of data and random corruption with stuff installed with Steam, issues not happening on my HDD.

Also, this is a bit over a year old and still in warranty, but if I decide to just buy a new drive are the Samsung 850 EVOs good to go, or not?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
My msata M500 is running really slow in 4K read and writes on my Yoga 2 Pro. Trim is on and AHCI is on, so what could be the problem?

I know I should have gotten an 840 evo masta, but I was poor then.

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011
Hey, I have a question regarding installing an SSD on a console, which isn't something I have experience in.

My bro wants to put an 840-EVO in his PS4, but my understanding is that those models may require a firmware update from Samsung to prevent or fix a slowdown bug.
I was planning on following the Sony Support guide for installing an HDD, but past that, is it possible to update the ssd with the required firmware such as with a usb or outside the console via a computer?

Or am I just stuck crossing my fingers beyond that point.

Not even certain if this is a big deal or not, but I'd appreciate any info as I haven't had much luck digging up the specifics about this today.

e: vv Simple enough, thanks :v:

Walkin Goon fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 26, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes, hook it up to a computer and run the firmware updater. Then install it to the ps4.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

L-O-N posted:

My msata M500 is running really slow in 4K read and writes on my Yoga 2 Pro.
Yeah that does seem kinda slow. I'm not actually sure what could be wrong though. However I'd be interested to see numbers in IOPS though rather than MB/s. That'd let us compare with other benchmarks and the Crucial specs, as IOPS is the more typical thing to measure when evaluating 4K random performance. The MB/s numbers do seem low enough that I'm guessing your IOPS numbers are probably "too low."

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yeah that does seem kinda slow. I'm not actually sure what could be wrong though. However I'd be interested to see numbers in IOPS though rather than MB/s. That'd let us compare with other benchmarks and the Crucial specs, as IOPS is the more typical thing to measure when evaluating 4K random performance. The MB/s numbers do seem low enough that I'm guessing your IOPS numbers are probably "too low."

Looks like turning off intel's speedstep worked. Now I'm getting iops typical of the drive. Before it was about half.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I know this has all been covered again and again, but here's my question:

I got a fairly surprising 840 EVO 500GB drive, I've cloned my data from my 840 EVO 250GB. I'm all set on backups with crashplan, so that's great, my question is: if I concatenate (extend?) using the windows disk manager will I still get TRIM commands passed through to the drives? I'm not concerened about boosting performance, but just having the slight convenience of one big blob of storage.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

So you have a 250GB partition on a 500GB drive right now? Yes, you can make your partition bigger - and no, it won't affect TRIM at all.

• Locked thread