Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Samurai Usagi is adorable but IIRC gets really tournament-y and less romance-y. Has some nice chapters at the end with the mother in law though, and the relationship stuff is very cute, what there is of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Having seen Mx0 frequently get referenced all over this forum as a great series that was tragically canceled, I decided to give it a shot. I read the first ~25 or so chapters, but it seems entirely generic and I have no idea why it's so beloved. It's nothing but a hodgepodge of tropes: unusual/occult/magical high school hidden in plain sight, brawler protagonist, fish out of water plotline, but but but my true highschool love, starting from nothing but given a ~special ability~ because he's just so gosh darn pure-hearted, bog standard romance subplot, goofy & perverted sidekick, contrived accidental groping/peeping followed by paint-by-numbers overreactions, etc etc.

Does it change after a while? Am I missing something?

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
You have to compare it to other Shonen that continues to run in magazines, not the best of the genre.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

Having seen Mx0 frequently get referenced all over this forum as a great series that was tragically canceled, I decided to give it a shot. I read the first ~25 or so chapters, but it seems entirely generic and I have no idea why it's so beloved. It's nothing but a hodgepodge of tropes: unusual/occult/magical high school hidden in plain sight, brawler protagonist, fish out of water plotline, but but but my true highschool love, starting from nothing but given a ~special ability~ because he's just so gosh darn pure-hearted, bog standard romance subplot, goofy & perverted sidekick, contrived accidental groping/peeping followed by paint-by-numbers overreactions, etc etc.

Does it change after a while? Am I missing something?

It changed up a lot after the initial "Falls in love with standard cliche girl, stumbles through Magic school having to trick people". You seemed to have stopped right around the point where the tone and plot change up enough for it to be much more unique then the standard shonen power fantasy stuff. It's not so much that the series is especially unique or innovative at the start but how its developed and doesn't hinge on constant magical power-ups and other cliche bs. Also, as you learn more and more about how the in-universe magic works the MC progression and abilities make more sense because there's stuff going on behind the scenes. It's hard to say any more without spoiling it but it definitely stood out by the halfway point through the series.

ZerodotJander posted:

You have to compare it to other Shonen that continues to run in magazines, not the best of the genre.

Also 2006 was when Naruto,Bleach, Negima, etc were at their loving peak, and everything desperately tried to be like them, and Mx0 didn't and strayed far enough away from the typical power level battles that keep getting higher that eventually people got bored of it for not being "typical shounen". It probably would've had much more success in another publication but in WSJ people except certain things from their series, and even getting 99 chapters was a pretty good deal.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

It could be a cool dystopian future type manga, but instead it's 'criminals are the loving worst, and there are no incorrect verdicts, ever'

and that guy going 'i don't want to kill him' and then gettign a badass panel when he decided to do it was extremely lol

Yeah, it looks like the general message is going to be one that condones the general concept rather than looking at it critically. Which is kind of hosed up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it looks like the general message is going to be one that condones the general concept rather than looking at it critically. Which is kind of hosed up.

I originally thought main character guy before we found out he was a member of the torture police. Was going to get falsely accused and convicted of some crime and then would have to do that weird duel thing against the torture police. After winning he would have to use the 3 year timer given to him to prove his innocence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think we can all agree that revenge killings are cool and good.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of New Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tsuyokute-New-Saga/Ch-011-Read-Online?id=216009

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The vengeance-murder-is-legal thing sounds like it was ripped straight out of Freesia, which did treat it as incredibly hosed up and the people who did it as incredibly broken people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pierson posted:

The vengeance-murder-is-legal thing sounds like it was ripped straight out of Freesia, which did treat it as incredibly hosed up and the people who did it as incredibly broken people.

The question you have to ask is why such an incredibly poor writer thinks he can successfully crib from freesia. poo poo, the dude was only marginally capable of writing shounen battle manga.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The question you have to ask is why such an incredibly poor writer thinks he can successfully crib from freesia. poo poo, the dude was only marginally capable of writing shounen battle manga.

His weird devil-Naruto manga only got attention because so many people harassed him for what looked like a Naruto clone and Kishimoto actually stepped in to say "Leave my brother alone, I'm fine with it".

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

pentyne posted:

His weird devil-Naruto manga only got attention because so many people harassed him for what looked like a Naruto clone and Kishimoto actually stepped in to say "Leave my brother alone, I'm fine with it".

666 satans story was still somehow more coherent than naruto's.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zasze posted:

666 satans story was still somehow more coherent than naruto's.

You are being overly generous.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

You are being overly generous.
He forgot to put the 'post Zabuza arc' disclaimer in, but that's usually implied whenever something's compared to Naruto.
His point still stands, especially if we take into consideration the past year or two's worth of chapters.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HiveCommander posted:

He forgot to put the 'post Zabuza arc' disclaimer in, but that's usually implied whenever something's compared to Naruto.
His point still stands, especially if we take into consideration the past year or two's worth of chapters.
The chuunin exam arc was really good, and I think still stands up as the best long arc I've seen in that sort of series, with lots of plot progression and effective use of the series' large cast. The "rescue Sasuke" arc wasn't as good, but still decent. Everything after the timeskip has been awful, though, and I've only checked a new chapter every once in a while out of a vague "may as well see how it ends" feeling.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The latest arc of Karakuri Circus just ended on an insanely badass note. http://bato.to/read/_/291646/karakuri-circus_v16_ch152_by_funnuraba

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paracelsus posted:

The chuunin exam arc was really good, and I think still stands up as the best long arc I've seen in that sort of series, with lots of plot progression and effective use of the series' large cast. The "rescue Sasuke" arc wasn't as good, but still decent. Everything after the timeskip has been awful, though, and I've only checked a new chapter every once in a while out of a vague "may as well see how it ends" feeling.

Eh, The Hidan and Kazuku/Shikamaru arc > pretty much any arc besides Zabuza. That arc was drat near perfect. The only flaws being the occasional interlude to Naruto training. And even those weren't that bad.
Also Flame of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho did the long tournament arc with plot progression better(If you want to count the Hunter Exam then that too, but that was the intro arc so shrug).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

Eh, The Hidan and Kazuku/Shikamaru arc > pretty much any arc besides Zabuza.
Shikamaru is cool as gently caress and that was a great fight.

I stopped following Naruto some time at the start of the year when my manga app stopped putting up new chapters for it and I just never got around to reading it elsewhere. I heard it went pretty downhill with Naruto ans Sasuke dying, but coming back to life as ninja Yin and Yang or some poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Naruto's problem was the same problem that kills like 90% of every shounen manga I've ever enjoyed, which is time skips.

Time skips are really bad plot devices and shouldn't be used.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did it kill One Piece for you too, because he used a timeskip to avoid a training arc

coathat
May 21, 2007

Stop talking about Naruto and read Karakuri Circus you idiots.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i read Sayonara Football http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/sayonara-football-r2597 over the weekend and it was a decent short little shounen story about a girl who wants to play soccer. the only reason i read it was because it was by the same person who makes the Your Lie in April manga which is one of my favorite anime/manga going on right now.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Stop!! Hibari-kun! is very good.

http://bato.to/comic/_/stop-hibari-kun-r14122

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i liked this story and i hope Kousaku and Hibari go on a date

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Seven Deadly Sins - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nanatsu-no-Taizai/Ch-108--Gentle-Awakening?id=216415

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I picked up Super Doctor K and it's great. You are already healed!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Please do not post :filez: in this thread.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i liked this story and i hope Kousaku and Hibari go on a date

Me too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does anyone remember Choujin Gakuen? Well, there's new chapters since last we checked!

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
New spin-off where Kuroko and the generaton of Miracles take on their own racist Americans. Remember all those glorious facts Eyeshield brought to us and wait to see them reimagined just with basketball this time :cheeky:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CVE posted:

New spin-off where Kuroko and the generaton of Miracles take on their own racist Americans. Remember all those glorious facts Eyeshield brought to us and wait to see them reimagined just with basketball this time :cheeky:

I freaking love Kuroko's, full disclosure I also loved Prince of Tennis throughout.

Racist disrespectful Americans are a troupe I can always get behind. It's a good cheap trope to get behind when you don't have time to introduce actual characterization for a group of people.

But shrug, This will be better than Eyeshield as, the players are are all just as cocky as the Americans (well besides Kuroko).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

CVE posted:

That teapot on the last page, :drat:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Author loves his Lewis Caroll.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Dexo posted:

I freaking love Kuroko's, full disclosure I also loved Prince of Tennis throughout.

Racist disrespectful Americans are a troupe I can always get behind. It's a good cheap trope to get behind when you don't have time to introduce actual characterization for a group of people.

But shrug, This will be better than Eyeshield as, the players are are all just as cocky as the Americans (well besides Kuroko).

No doubt this will be one big dick-waving contest which streetball is quite a fitting premise I think. Also I love Kuroko, Captain Tsubasa, PoT and co. althought with the ridiculousness of Kuroko and PoT middle/high school students I just wish to see what actual pros could do in universe (given that attempted murder in PoT seems to be an acceptable way to win a game of tennis especially in New Prince of Tennis :cheeky:)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

CVE posted:

No doubt this will be one big dick-waving contest which streetball is quite a fitting premise I think. Also I love Kuroko, Captain Tsubasa, PoT and co. althought with the ridiculousness of Kuroko and PoT middle/high school students I just wish to see what actual pros could do in universe (given that attempted murder in PoT seems to be an acceptable way to win a game of tennis especially in New Prince of Tennis :cheeky:)

I would really like to see this too. Since only the best players get scouted from high school sports for college teams, and only the best college players can go pro, professional teams must be composed entirely of shounen sports manga protagonists with ridiculous special abilities and crazy character designs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pro matches require concrete bunkers or a minimum safe distance of one kilometer.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So Knon Kanoja wa Fiction Desu has ended. The ending was super meta, but it was alright for being a shounen romance. It's much more enjoyable compared to Shishunki no Iron Maiden, which has also ended, probably because the MC isn't as much as a jerk in the start.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CVE posted:

Japanese fiction just loves jerking itself off with their high school athletes being the best in the world. What's even funnier is its all sports they are pretty terrible at internationally. Japan does pretty good in Judo and Gymnastics at the Olympics but all the team sports manga is "magical powered Japanese beat arrogant and racist foreigners".

Actually, that kind of applies to all manga involving foreigners.

It would be pretty entertaining if the plot was US streetball players aren't proficient enough to beat a team that masters teamwork, precision shooting, and the fundamentals, but given the thug caricatures used for the team I assume it'll be completely different.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 30, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, american sports fiction is pretty much the same way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

To be fair, american sports fiction is pretty much the same way.

Yeah, but its always against other Americans. Plus its sports the US is internationally famous for, baseball, football, basketball, NASCAR, etc. If there was some US sports fiction about being the greatest soccer team it would be equally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Yeah, but its always against other Americans.
Did you miss all the Russians we gloriously conquered in the 90s?