Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vahakyla posted:

A lot of microwaves ding when the scheduled program starts. So the micro is not actually on before the ding goes.

That might be the case with some ovens, though even my fancy Whirlpool one can't even schedule anything, but I don't think that's what most movies are showing... I seem to recall one of the Segal flicks (Under Siege 2 maybe) having a microwave explode clearly when the program is supposed to finish.

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone makes a bomb by sticking some stuff in a microwave and it doesn't detonate until we've heard the ding. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work like that unless you wired an explosive to the bell.

An actually reasonable use of the microwave bomb is in The Equalizer, where he sticks some gas canisters in one and then uses the circuit breaker to turn it back on, causing an explosion a couple of seconds later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Been watching the netflix series Marco Polo, while a rather good, if some what blatently embelished story telling I cant get over the 'Hundred Eyes' character.

A blind monk who is not only the best martial artist in the land but seems to know the layout of anywhere he goes without any kind of aid. It's so cliche it hurts.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

mobby_6kl posted:

I seem to recall one of the Segal flicks (Under Siege 2 maybe) having a microwave explode clearly when the program is supposed to finish.
It's the first Under Siege actually and yeah, my complaint is not that stuff can explode when in a microwave but that it'd patiently wait to explode until the timer reaches zero.

mobby_6kl posted:

An actually reasonable use of the microwave bomb is in The Equalizer, where he sticks some gas canisters in one and then uses the circuit breaker to turn it back on, causing an explosion a couple of seconds later.
Yeah, it was watching The Equalizer that prompted my post. :v:

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I seem to recall one of the Segal flicks (Under Siege 2 maybe) having a microwave explode clearly when the program is supposed to finish.

It's also in Grosse Pointe Blank, in the scene in the convenience store

donquixotic has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Dec 21, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I'm completely numb to action scenes. Car chases, fights, or big FX sequences, that kind of thing. I find them incredibly boring. I feel like you may as well just insert a fireworks display in the middle of a film followed by the text 'the good guy won'.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

On a whim this weekend, my girlfriend and I decided to watch the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Mistakes were made. You could just put the whole movie in this thread.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never really understood why Charles Nichols helped the protagonist so much in the Fugitive. He went out of his way to lie to the police and give cash to the person who would eventually trace the murder of his wife back to himç

Maybe i missed something?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

EvilGenius posted:

I'm completely numb to action scenes. Car chases, fights, or big FX sequences, that kind of thing. I find them incredibly boring. I feel like you may as well just insert a fireworks display in the middle of a film followed by the text 'the good guy won'.

This is the saddest thing I've read in this thread.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
The Call of Duty ad, where the guy is just smashing through things and flying through the air is the epitome of what I'm talking about. It's so far removed from real physics, real thought patterns, and real survivability that I can't get into it. In order to feel any sense of thrill, a character has to be in danger. How is he in danger when he can smash through a 8th story opaque wall, and just happen to land on a truck? How can I sense danger when I know that none of the 8 million bullets flying around are going to hit the guy?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

10 Beers posted:

On a whim this weekend, my girlfriend and I decided to watch the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Mistakes were made. You could just put the whole movie in this thread.

TMNT was really odd watch for me because it had a lot of great scenes and ideas, and the Turtles themselves were as funny and charming as they should be. But overall I did not like the movie. It just didn't grab me and I felt really detached despite it earning a chuckle from me every so often. My only theory as to why is my nostalgia for the old live action films, and maybe I just couldn't relate to the poorly animated monstrosities they decided to use instead of physical costumes. I mean, the CGI was really really bad to the point that the whole movie looked like Roger Rabbit, with cartoons interacting with live people.

I'm normally just fine with CG and I don't particularly have a strong opinion on the CGI/practical effects debate but in this case I think the advancements in practical effects could have made for great physical costumes for the Turtles and I can't help but wonder if they had gone that route instead if I would have liked the movie more.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EvilGenius posted:

The Call of Duty ad, where the guy is just smashing through things and flying through the air is the epitome of what I'm talking about. It's so far removed from real physics, real thought patterns, and real survivability that I can't get into it. In order to feel any sense of thrill, a character has to be in danger. How is he in danger when he can smash through a 8th story opaque wall, and just happen to land on a truck? How can I sense danger when I know that none of the 8 million bullets flying around are going to hit the guy?

You can ordinarilly sense danger? No wonder you find action scenes boring if you are spider-man!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mans posted:

I never really understood why Charles Nichols helped the protagonist so much in the Fugitive. He went out of his way to lie to the police and give cash to the person who would eventually trace the murder of his wife back to himç

Maybe i missed something?

Probably because he didn't expect Richard to actually find out the truth. Him running around evading cops just makes him look more guilty.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

muscles like this? posted:

Probably because he didn't expect Richard to actually find out the truth. Him running around evading cops just makes him look more guilty.

That's what I thought. He was helping him so that Richard wouldn't suspect him, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the characters are supposed to be fairly good friends but it is kind of hard to tell, since the movie starts with the arrest. So you don't get a good look at his life before.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Ahhhh Hobbit 3. Where to begin?

"Battle ready" orcs getting torn apart by plucky, starving rivertown children! While wearing full plate armour no less. Random gigantic-scale monsters dying, with no real rhyme or reason! Blatent disregard for SIXTY loving ONE years of time passing between the movies! Comic relief characters out of nowhere.. Let's turn Beorn into a 3 second nudge-nudge-wink-wink we totally included everyone cameo. The entire movie couldn't decide if it was slapstick comedy, deeply emotional tragidrama ("WHY DOES IT HURT NOT-DADDY? WHYYYYYY?"), or computer game.

The worst though, the absolute worst, was the overuse of sweep-right with a zoom-out and RISE! now cut to closeup of somebody's face. When it becomes apparent, it's the most frustratingly petty annoying thing.

gently caress that movie. gently caress that trilogy actually.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

The only way I can reconcile The Hobbit is that it's a children's movie based off of a children's book.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

I totally get it and feel the same way, I think. I mean I too find many actionsequenses extremely boring or infuriating. That doesn't mean that I don't like car chases and fights scenes, it just means that I like it done the right way. Action done for actions sake or the cool factor is loving poo poo.

Hulebr00670065006e has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Dec 22, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's a sad day when I can't even be bothered watching the Hobbit 3: The Hobbiting. First one was fun, but second was a bit of a slog with so many pointless battle scenes it's insulting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mng posted:

It's a sad day when I can't even be bothered watching the Hobbit 3: The Hobbiting. First one was fun, but second was a bit of a slog with so many pointless battle scenes it's insulting.
That is how I felt about Lord of the Rings. Watched the first one three or four times, in theaters even, hated the second one immediately for turning up the comic relief stuff to 11 and haven't bothered with anything LotR since.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

See, I loved the LOTR movies and (other than a few of the new scenes) love the extended editions even more, but I burned the hell out on The Hobbit roughly halfway through the first overly long bloated crapsack of a movie.

That said, I do have an irrationally irritating moment for the LOTR trilogy itself; Gimli is always comic relief, I don't think he gets to do a single badass or heroic thing the whole drat time. Even Merry and Pippin, who get a ton of comedic moments, get to shine occasionally. Not Gimli though: it's all dwarf jokes all the time with him.

Dwarves are my least favorite fantasy race too and back in my D&D playing days no doubt made plenty of dumb jokes at their expense, and yet I found myself going "drat Jackson, give the dude a break why don'tcha?"

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

a kitten posted:

See, I loved the LOTR movies and (other than a few of the new scenes) love the extended editions even more, but I burned the hell out on The Hobbit roughly halfway through the first overly long bloated crapsack of a movie.

That said, I do have an irrationally irritating moment for the LOTR trilogy itself; Gimli is always comic relief, I don't think he gets to do a single badass or heroic thing the whole drat time. Even Merry and Pippin, who get a ton of comedic moments, get to shine occasionally. Not Gimli though: it's all dwarf jokes all the time with him.

Dwarves are my least favorite fantasy race too and back in my D&D playing days no doubt made plenty of dumb jokes at their expense, and yet I found myself going "drat Jackson, give the dude a break why don'tcha?"

I feel exactly the same, love the movies. There are also plenty of big battles from the books to pick from, so it hardly felt like they were dragging on or were pointless. I don't give a poo poo about Tom Bombadil not being in the movies, but I'm a bit sad that the ending with the battle in The Shire and Saruman wandering around like a broken old man wizard wasn't in. Merry and Pip were badasses there as well.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

a kitten posted:

I thought he was kinda badass during the cave-troll scene. "Let them come. There is one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath. " Maybe not a shining moment, but he's not really comedic relief at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgmjyNc-H1I

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I was getting irrationally irritated about The Hobbit, then I remembered that it was originally written by a guy who needed an editor badly, and There and Back Again was fictionally written by a lying, thieving, has-a-flair-for-the-dramatic Hobbit, Bilbo.

The more you look at all those elaborate battle scenes, the more they come across as Bilbo exaggerating details to make the story far more impressive.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eh! Frank posted:

I thought he was kinda badass during the cave-troll scene. "Let them come. There is one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath. " Maybe not a shining moment, but he's not really comedic relief at this point.

Hey you're right! Somehow I forgot that line. Still sticking with my complaint overall though.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Just rewatched Speed for the first time in a long time. Yeah its a tongue in cheek action flick with just 'one.more.action.sequence' but seriously, the bus jump was obviously done with a stunt vehicle and camera tricks but looked good enough, the bus eventually blowing up as it hits a plane is one of the biggest on screen explosions ive seen on the big screen...

Its then they go 'lets jam another impossible situation in there' with the subway bit and it so horribly obvious its a scale model. Like so blatently obvious they ran out of SFX budget for it and I think it would have ended better without some of the wasted effort on the train coming off the rails shots.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

So, I watched Snowpiercer lately, and despite a 95% positive rating and an interesting premise, by the end you realize the film is actually a very blatant rip-off of The Matrix: Reloaded. Let me count the ways...

- a post-apocalyptic world that has been rendered cold and lifeless
- A single warm bastion for humanity, preserved by machines
- Ham-fisted Classism commentary
- Hero battles through layers of bad guys to reach the mysterious source of all the oppression. Upon arrival, we see a quiet, simple room that is in stark contrast to what we've seen previously and what we were expecting. Violence is still happening outside, but inside this room, there is time for some contrasting quiet conversation.
- The Matrix had the Architect, Snowpiercer had the Engineer, both quiet, calm, older, logical characters full of exposition at the end of their film
- Protagonist has to decide between saving humanity and helping a single person. That single person represents all humanity is fighting for.
- Both films have an Asian "keymaster" who can open all the doors and dies right after opening the final door
- Unexplained clairvoyant female character (at least the Matrix attempted to explain/develop it. It was a very, very shallow, lazy device in SP)
- Kung-fu fighting
- Tastee Wheat/Protein bar (oh, yeah, as someone who is an admitted baby-eating cannibal, the protagonist in Snowpiercer got WAY too pissed about eating bug bars)
- There's even a nod-wink moment when the Engineer and Captain America are eating where they acknowledge how similar it is to M:R (that doesn't make it a good idea)
- Humans' bodies being used to maintain machinery
- A long, convoluted plot by a puppet-master to deliver the main character to the ending that would have gone wrong a hundred times over if not for sheer luck
- The culling of humans down to a select few time after time only to allow them to rebuild, to maintain balance. Hero can't believe it! How could this be!? And yet, suddenly, it all makes sense!
- You, Hero, must decide the fate of humanity after a jaw-dropping reveal! What decision could you possibly make? The audience will never guess!
- Raves
- Steampunk
- Crappy CGI
- Unkillable antagonist in a suit
- Oblivious Matrix/First-class denizens

I enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so, but drat, did it believe itself to be 10x more clever than it actually was. I don't think there was one subtle/insightful moment in the film.

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Dec 22, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dpack_1 posted:

Just rewatched Speed for the first time in a long time. Yeah its a tongue in cheek action flick with just 'one.more.action.sequence' but seriously, the bus jump was obviously done with a stunt vehicle and camera tricks but looked good enough, the bus eventually blowing up as it hits a plane is one of the biggest on screen explosions ive seen on the big screen...

Its then they go 'lets jam another impossible situation in there' with the subway bit and it so horribly obvious its a scale model. Like so blatently obvious they ran out of SFX budget for it and I think it would have ended better without some of the wasted effort on the train coming off the rails shots.

The subway stuff at the end of Speed is stupid because you just got done with a movie long action scene and then they just tack that extra one right on the end. I don't think anyone would have objected if they had ended it a different way.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

muscles like this? posted:

The subway stuff at the end of Speed is stupid because you just got done with a movie long action scene and then they just tack that extra one right on the end. I don't think anyone would have objected if they had ended it a different way.
According to the writer's commentary, the film actually ends when the bus explodes and everything after that is just some tacked on poo poo because they hadn't explicitly shown Dennis Hopper being brutally murdered for his crimes and that just wasn't good enough for test audiences.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

EvilGenius posted:

I think you just hate bad action sequences. Watch The Raid, that movie is basically just an hour and a half action scene and it's absolutely gripping because of how well done it is.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

So, I watched Snowpiercer lately, and despite a 95% positive rating and an interesting premise, by the end you realize the film is actually a very blatant rip-off of The Matrix: Reloaded. Let me count the ways...

- a post-apocalyptic world that has been rendered cold and lifeless
- A single warm bastion for humanity, preserved by machines
- Ham-fisted Classism commentary
- Hero battles through layers of bad guys to reach the mysterious source of all the oppression. Upon arrival, we see a quiet, simple room that is in stark contrast to what we've seen previously and what we were expecting. Violence is still happening outside, but inside this room, there is time for some contrasting quiet conversation.
- The Matrix had the Architect, Snowpiercer had the Engineer, both quiet, calm, older, logical characters full of exposition at the end of their film
- Protagonist has to decide between saving humanity and helping a single person. That single person represents all humanity is fighting for.
- Both films have an Asian "keymaster" who can open all the doors and dies right after opening the final door
- Unexplained clairvoyant female character (at least the Matrix attempted to explain/develop it. It was a very, very shallow, lazy device in SP)
- Kung-fu fighting
- Tastee Wheat/Protein bar (oh, yeah, as someone who is an admitted baby-eating cannibal, the protagonist in Snowpiercer got WAY too pissed about eating bug bars)
- There's even a nod-wink moment when the Engineer and Captain America are eating where they acknowledge how similar it is to M:R (that doesn't make it a good idea)
- Humans' bodies being used to maintain machinery
- A long, convoluted plot by a puppet-master to deliver the main character to the ending that would have gone wrong a hundred times over if not for sheer luck
- The culling of humans down to a select few time after time only to allow them to rebuild, to maintain balance. Hero can't believe it! How could this be!? And yet, suddenly, it all makes sense!
- You, Hero, must decide the fate of humanity after a jaw-dropping reveal! What decision could you possibly make? The audience will never guess!
- Raves
- Steampunk
- Crappy CGI
- Unkillable antagonist in a suit
- Oblivious Matrix/First-class denizens

I enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so, but drat, did it believe itself to be 10x more clever than it actually was. I don't think there was one subtle/insightful moment in the film.

I hope to gently caress you aren't saying TMR was better than snowpiercer. TMR was agonizing from the first moment to the last. At least snowpiercer was shot well.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ignite Memories posted:

I hope to gently caress you aren't saying TMR was better than snowpiercer. TMR was agonizing from the first moment to the last. At least snowpiercer was shot well.

I like how every shot of the train from the outside doesn't show the one car that's three times the size of the others to fit that ludicrous CGI aquarium. I also love that the suggestion that the train has enough scavenger population that they can be harvested to support several cars worth of people's food needs. Also I dig that ending where they die like five minutes after the screen fades because either they freeze, starve, or a polar bear attacks them. Yay, humanity still has hope!

Actually I kid, I love heavily stylized movies and that film was about as heavy as they come.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

:colbert:

theironjef posted:

I like how every shot of the train from the outside doesn't show the one car that's three times the size of the others to fit that ludicrous CGI aquarium. I also love that the suggestion that the train has enough scavenger population that they can be harvested to support several cars worth of people's food needs. Also I dig that ending where they die like five minutes after the screen fades because either they freeze, starve, or a polar bear attacks them. Yay, humanity still has hope!

This guy knows what's up.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I also liked how every exterior shot looked like CG FMV from a PS1 game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

I also liked how every exterior shot looked like CG FMV from a PS1 game.

Like you keep expecting Squall to come steal a few cars off the drat thing, yeah.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Pilchenstein posted:

According to the writer's commentary, the film actually ends when the bus explodes and everything after that is just some tacked on poo poo because they hadn't explicitly shown Dennis Hopper being brutally murdered for his crimes and that just wasn't good enough for test audiences.

But we got the incredible "But I'm taller" one-liner out of it, at least

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thanks guys, I felt like checking out the IMDB trivia page for Speed and then I clicked on a 8 page discussion thread about how good a womans rear end looked in a 2 second elevator rescue scene.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I'd take the piss, but I watched Speed once when it came out and that's about all I remember from it. TBF I was like 14.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Counterpoint: the matrix reloaded

I cannot believe you folks are defending the movie where lovely cgi playstation2 hugo weavings make a literal bowling pin noise when they hit each other.

Seriously, go re watch the burly brawl and tell me the matrix reloaded is not the worst movie ever put to film. You guys clearly do not remember what bad cgi truly is.

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Dec 22, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eh! Frank posted:

He also got a couple of cool moments in Helm's Deep: when he jumps from the top of battlements right after they breach the wall, and then fighting back-to-back with Aragorn to buy time for the Rohan to repair the gate. Although that second one is kinda undercut by the "toss me!" bit right beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Counterpoint: the matrix reloaded

I cannot believe you folks are defending the movie where lovely cgi playstation2 hugo weavings make a literal bowling pin noise when they hit each other.

Seriously, go re watch the burly brawl and tell me the matrix reloaded is not the worst movie ever put to film. You guys clearly do not remember what bad cgi truly is.

No one is defending Reloaded. No one likes it. They're saying that Snowpiercer is ripping it off, yes. But you can rip things off from a piece of poo poo if you want, it's merely inadvisable, not impossible.