Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What's the deal with the police anyway. If all the police and criminals are likely to have quirks as well, then where to the heroes and villains fit in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Heroes being great for public morale is the difference.

There probably are people with strong quirks on the force but I imagine all the stuff that comes secondary with being a policeman is a big turn off for most folk, along with the public adoration and glory that comes from being just called a hero.

I imagine the aign up rate for heroes are much higher than for the police.

Also heroes do not do paperwork.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Not every quirk is useful. The heroes are people with strong quirks who handle fighting people who try to commit crimes with similarly strong quirks. The police handle everything that isn't super power fights.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah add me into the people who think that policeman is shifty as hell. Of course the artist might be trying to do a fake out by making his seem off and he really just is a super great dude. I think it's the amount of white around his eyes combined with his over the top niceness and emotionless smile that really give me the creeps about him. Frog girl has similar eyes but her's look more comedic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda wonder if the police resent the hero poo poo.

Kinda weird that the whole hero thing didn't get folded into the police but whatever I guess.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

Kinda weird that the whole hero thing didn't get folded into the police but whatever I guess.

I think they would if it weren't for the staff of the top hero academy, including the greatest hero in the world, showing respect for them and their job. That kinda sets the tone for the whole thing.

I imagine hero work begun as independent civilians who thought they could use their quirks for good and later on got formalized into the current system. That kinda people wouldn't easily fold into the police system.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 22, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

The Heroes do seem to be official agents of the government. More of a special police agency at what appears to be a national level.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Standard police operating procedure is pretty clunky in light of dudes who can teleport and turn people into stone. Heroes are basically civilian contractors entrusted with the authority to make snap calls in do-or-die situations, but probably undergo a lot of scrutiny to reach that level. Presumably there's still a lot of by-the-book crime that doesn't necessitate the enlistment of heroes.

Whatever the case, the hero academy at least seems pretty respectful of the police force, so any resentment between the two would probably be due to policemen who wanted to be heroes but didn't make the cut.

Here's a Superman panel to round off my point.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I could imagine this become x-men if All Might wasn't there as the symbol of hope.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nyaa posted:

I could imagine this become x-men if All Might wasn't there as the symbol of hope.

Nah, because the norms are a tiny minority now. Society seems to have changed so quickly that no one could get too big a bug up their rear end about it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

I can't quite explain it, he just seems a little off. He got introduced as a guy that knows All Might's identity right after we see hands-man talking to this 'sensei' character (who's in-the-know about AM).
It just feels like foreshadowing, but I'm probably wrong. Shounens love throwing out good characters that were actually evil all along, so who knows :shrug:

It's the eyes. Dude's got him some crazy eyes.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Standard police operating procedure is pretty clunky in light of dudes who can teleport and turn people into stone. Heroes are basically civilian contractors entrusted with the authority to make snap calls in do-or-die situations, but probably undergo a lot of scrutiny to reach that level. Presumably there's still a lot of by-the-book crime that doesn't necessitate the enlistment of heroes.

Whatever the case, the hero academy at least seems pretty respectful of the police force, so any resentment between the two would probably be due to policemen who wanted to be heroes but didn't make the cut.

Here's a Superman panel to round off my point.

Is there a series where the police force are also the power-holders. Like, it'd pretty much be the Justice League, but per city they'd all wear the same uniform? I'm sure the concept already exists somewhere; I haven't found it yet.

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 23, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Is there a series where the police force are also the power-holders. Like, it'd pretty much be the Justice League, but per city they'd all wear the same uniform? I'm sure the concept already exists somewhere; I haven't found it yet.

I think Savage Dragon might fit that bill with its super powered division and the main character being a cop. Never read it though.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Covok posted:

I think Savage Dragon might fit that bill with its super powered division and the main character being a cop. Never read it though.

That in itself would give me the impetus to pick up his series, after getting some of him in Madman and the Atomics. Thanks for the tip!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically, the police and the heroes hold different positions and have different jobs, from what I can see. The police are, generally, still like the normal police, near as I can tell, but for actually subduing the big bad villains the heroes have the authority to jump in and personally handle things, at least provided they don't screw things up too much themselves. They beat up and capture the bad guys, then the police arrest them and stuff.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Next-Jin Engine posted:

There's Alan Moore's Top 10, even if they're not all wearing the same uniform. It's basically a police procedural with all the cops, perps, victims and civilians as superheros.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Basically, the police and the heroes hold different positions and have different jobs, from what I can see. The police are, generally, still like the normal police, near as I can tell, but for actually subduing the big bad villains the heroes have the authority to jump in and personally handle things, at least provided they don't screw things up too much themselves. They beat up and capture the bad guys, then the police arrest them and stuff.

Chances are the police handle the day to day quirk using criminals, the ones that don't have ridiculous powers of destruction. Someone who's quirk lets them make an apple taste like a banana can still commit a crime, and it hardly seems worth bringing out what is basically a superhero to deal with him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Got a feeling they don't call in guys like All Might to solve a whodunit either.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It would make sense if the police had a sort of super swat team that was made of combat suited quirks, but it's kind of weird to have comic style super heroes when everyone has super powers.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nah everyone has powers, only super heroes have super powers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Somehow i dont think policemen are even allowed to use their quirks unrestricted on the job. Seeing hoe they have laws against non-hero quirk use.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Somehow i dont think policemen are even allowed to use their quirks unrestricted on the job. Seeing hoe they have laws against non-hero quirk use.

Wasn't that just in school?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dr_Amazing posted:

Wasn't that just in school?

Nope. there's laws against using them for transportation to get to work too, as well as other ones probably. Heroes are unique in that they can use their powers mostly unrestricted.

But yeah, not everyone has amazing powerful quirks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean, just look at Grape Boy. He made it to the biggest, baddest school for heroes around and look at his power.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What I don't understand is how, in a world with "normals" and superpowered people, it wouldn't naturally lead to a situation where superpowered people run all of the power structures of society -- police, government, big corporations and all.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

DrSunshine posted:

What I don't understand is how, in a world with "normals" and superpowered people, it wouldn't naturally lead to a situation where superpowered people run all of the power structures of society -- police, government, big corporations and all.
I mean we could make this From the New World again, but I think it's just fine as it is.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

But there are no 'normals' though. Pretty much everyone has a super power.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kegslayer posted:

But there are no 'normals' though. Pretty much everyone has a super power.

Ah, no, my comment was in relation to other superhero settings that were being talked about earlier in the thread, which do have normal people along with superpower people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

It can, and sometimes does - Fist of the North Star pretty much makes being supernaturally proficient at kung fu a prerequisite to leading any serious faction of humanity - but in most "modern" settings the implication is generally that there are at least enough goody two-shoes among power-havers to maintain the status quo (as opposed to supervillains who might be more inclined to say, "Yeah, why don't we run everything?").

Could be a lot of things, though. Just because you have mind control doesn't mean you're good at administration, or even want to. Maybe the guy who stops time is satisfied being a marine biologist in his off-hours.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

It can, and sometimes does - Fist of the North Star pretty much makes being supernaturally proficient at kung fu a prerequisite to leading any serious faction of humanity - but in most "modern" settings the implication is generally that there are at least enough goody two-shoes among power-havers to maintain the status quo (as opposed to supervillains who might be more inclined to say, "Yeah, why don't we run everything?").

Could be a lot of things, though. Just because you have mind control doesn't mean you're good at administration, or even want to. Maybe the guy who stops time is satisfied being a marine biologist in his off-hours.

That'd be a pretty rad power for marine biology. You could take some awesome photos, and make fish stand still to be examined without them suffocating (many species have gill designs that require constant water motion for them to breathe, which can make medical work and tagging tricky).

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
Chapter 22 is out! Teaser: There is a panel where All Might acts like a teenage girl, hand-face is called a man-child, and the yuuei academy's sports festival is compared to the Olympics.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

That'd be a pretty rad power for marine biology. You could take some awesome photos, and make fish stand still to be examined without them suffocating (many species have gill designs that require constant water motion for them to breathe, which can make medical work and tagging tricky).

Honestly, it would be a rad power for anything. I watched an episode of the 80s Twilight Zone where a woman got this power from a medallion she dug up in her back yard. She was using it to have a peaceful meal with her shithead family who wont stop screaming all the time, but the Twilight Zone twist is that she got all flustered and upset and the Soviets attacked and stopped time... with a nuclear missile directly above her house, so she could never restart it again.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Another thing with regards to powers: I think another factor is reliability. Deku's father's power was described as "breathing fire sometimes". I wouldn't be surprised if some just have powers they can't really use! Like the guy with the belly button laser; he can only use it for a short time, but that drawback is tempered by being extremely potent. I bet a lot of people's powers have such big drawbacks that they end up being largely cosmetic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since everyone has powers and the heroes keep the villains in check, their society is presumably based on wealth. What's more, being a hero is apparently quite lucrative and being a villain appears to suck, which just further emphasizes the role of money. So, the people with strong quirks have large incentives to become heroes. In other words, it is all designed around keeping the people on top on top as usual.

All Might is a symbol of peace in that his existence makes being a villain seem even crappier than it would be otherwise.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Since everyone has powers and the heroes keep the villains in check, their society is presumably based on wealth. What's more, being a hero is apparently quite lucrative and being a villain appears to suck, which just further emphasizes the role of money. So, the people with strong quirks have large incentives to become heroes. In other words, it is all designed around keeping the people on top on top as usual.

All Might is a symbol of peace in that his existence makes being a villain seem even crappier than it would be otherwise.

All Might is the symbol of capitalism that dissuades the proletariat from rebelling against their super-powered oppressors. :ussr:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Heroes seem to be state sponsored celebrities kinda. They make it so heroics and being a hero is not only encouraged but so that even people who aren't All Might or Superman or whatever who are moral and good people and would always be heroes want to do so. If you can get sponsored by the state and live a happy healthy life comfortable as hell, why would you take your power and blow up a bank and rob it? Especially since even if you do that, there's tons of people just as strong as you waiting to stop you.

It encourages even the greedy to take a better path than villainy. At the same time you could easily argue they are basically state bought mercenaries bribed to keep the peace, like I've seen some people complain about.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 22 is out - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-022--So-That-s-What-It-s-About--Uraraka-?id=216423

EDIT: Asui is great as ever, but Urarararaka is amazing in this chapter.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 24, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Midoriya should do boxing or something in the sports festival and just accept the inevitable casualties as he learns to control his quirk.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Midoriya should do boxing or something in the sports festival and just accept the inevitable casualties as he learns to control his quirk.
I'm happy to see Midoriya moving forward. If the entire manga was about him not being able to control his superpower and always just barely scraping by for each incident, I'd be pretty drat disappointed. If we have a period of time where he needs to adjust, which is apparently what's happening and he eventually gains full control over his powers and is able to use them like All Might, then that would be terrific.

I wonder if he'll look completely different like All Might does? Seems kind of odd that he's enrolled in the school as himself but if he follows All Might's ways, he'll eventually probably look different when fully powered....

Maybe that's what happened to All Might? Seems a lot of folks know about All Might's secret as it is. Maybe Midoriya's entire class will eventually be in on the New All Might secret. Who knows, maybe Midoriya will look exactly like All Might and be called All Might? We'll just have a new boy doing the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

There's probably some students with quirks that would let them survive full strength punches.. barely.. with a long stay in the hospital afterwards.