Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://nycfirewire.com/today-i-stopped-caring/

Lt Daniel Furseth posted:

Today, I stopped caring about my fellow man. I stopped caring about my community, my neighbors, and those I serve. I stopped caring today because a once noble profession has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted.

I stopped caring today because parents refuse to teach their kids right from wrong and blame us when they are caught breaking the law. I stopped caring today because parents tell their little kids to be good or “the police will take you away” embedding a fear from year one. Moms hate us in their schools because we frighten them and remind them of the evil that lurks in the world.

They would rather we stay unseen, but close by if needed, but readily available to “fix their kid.” I stopped caring today because we work to keep our streets safe from mayhem in the form of reckless, drunk, high, or speeding drivers, only to be hated for it, yet hated even more because we didn’t catch the drunk before he killed someone they may know.

Nevertheless, we are just another tool used by government to generate “revenue.” I stopped caring today because Liberals hate the police as we carry guns, scare kids, and take away their drugs. We always kill innocent people with unjust violence. We are called bullies for using a Taser during a fight, but are condemned further for not first tasing the guy who pulls a gun on us.

And if we do have to shoot, we are asked “why didn’t you just shoot the gun out of their hand?” And when one of us is killed by the countless attacks that do happen (but are rarely reported in the mainstream media) the haters say, “Its just part of the job.” I stopped caring today because Conservatives hate us as we are “the Government.” We try to take away their guns, freedoms, and liberty at every turn.

We represent a “Police State” where “jackbooted badge-wearing thugs” randomly attack innocent people without cause or concern for constitutional rights. We are Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Rodney King all rolled into one lone police officer stopping to help change an old lady’s tire. I stopped caring today as no one wants us around, but instantly demands answers, results, arrests, when a crime takes place.

If a crime isn’t solved within the allocated 60 minutes it takes CSI on television, we are inept, incompetent, or covering something up. If we do get “lucky” it was just that and everyone with a Facebook account can post wonderful comments of how “they” would solve the case and how “we” are not nearly as clever.

I stopped caring today because a video of a cop six states away, from a department that you never heard of, screws up and forgets his oath of honor, thus firing up an internet lynch-mob of cop haters even though 99% of us work twice as hard not to end up in the news and to still be “the good guys.” We are “militarized” because we wear body armor and kevlar helmets when shots are fired or rocks thrown at us and carry scary looking rifles even though everyone knows that they are easier to shoot and are more accurate than a handgun or a shotgun.

I stopped caring today because the culture of today’s instantly connected youth is only there to take and never give back. To never accept responsibility for ones actions, but to blame everyone else instead of themselves. To ask “what is in it for me?” versus “what can I do for you?”

To idolize gangsters, thugs, sexually promiscuous behavior, and criminals over hard work, dedication, and achievement. To argue that getting stoned should be a right, yet getting a job or an education is a hassle. To steal verus earn. To hate versus help. Yes, I stopped caring today. But tomorrow, I will put my uniform back on and I will care again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

Because no one is actually discussing reform. Saying the cops suck over and over again is not reform. Which is why I asked what people are doing to change it. Apparently asking "what are you doing to help change the system?" is derailing the conversation because...yeah, sorry. I don't follow that logic.

"What are you doing to get your husband to stop beating you?"

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

racist wisconsin cop, nothing to see here

edit: also actusrhesus has been doing his shitposting-backpedal shtick for a while, just put him on ignore.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Bob James posted:

"What are you doing to get your husband to stop beating you?"

That's a pretty lovely analogy.

How do you see reform happening?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

I don't as long as people like you are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ActusRhesus posted:

You're in D&D, we expect things to get worse and worse.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joeburz posted:

racist wisconsin cop, nothing to see here

edit: also actusrhesus has been doing his shitposting-backpedal shtick for a while, just put him on ignore.

Once again... Back pedaling. I do not think this term means what you think it means.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Bob James posted:

I don't as long as people like you are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people.

You presume my interests in systemic reforms are limited to internet posts. It is possible for one to believe that most cops are hard working and honest people AND that police and prosecutorial misconduct need to be dealt with severely when they happen. It is also possible to recognize that America needs a lot of improvement in its race relations AND recognize that some people are in jail because they are violent.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ActusRhesus posted:

It is possible for one to believe that most cops are hard working and honest people AND that police and prosecutorial misconduct need to be dealt with severely when they happen.

*excludes bad lawyers from cool kids' table, pats self on back*

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

You presume my interests in systemic reforms are limited to internet posts.

No, I don't.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

*has done more public service than cheesy dick ever will and still looks for other ways to improve system while cheesy dick types some bullshit, masterbates furiously over his own superiority and pats self on back*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This police temper tantrum is just as illustrating as the fallout from the Garner and Brown killings.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

E-Tank posted:

You can't say grand juries are poo poo unless you have actively worked against them.

Just about everyone in this thread does tho

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ActusRhesus posted:

*has done more public service than cheesy dick ever will and still looks for other ways to improve system while cheesy dick types some bullshit, masterbates furiously over his own superiority and pats self on back*

OH man you owned me so hard! Tell us more about how you're a lawyer!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CheesyDog posted:

OH man you owned me so hard! Tell us more about how you're a lawyer!

She's not wrong though

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
As a goon cop reading this thread and others like it, I often imagine that all goons are the same wieners that call us to make a report about being bullied on the internet or their neighbor's dog making GBS threads in their yard.

For content sake I love how DnD is a constant stream pointing out who is the biggest human being rather than discussing the issue using such passive aggressive techniques as empty post quoting, or the ever popular "45 pages ago you said this which clearly contradicts what you're saying now ergo you are the most human being".

All of that followed by someone inevitably saying:
:smug: "Lol you thought this would be a productive discussion on the forums of a comedy website??"

This is not the DnD you need, but it's the one you deserve.

EDIT: If you need me I'll be rioting, looting and calling for the death of people peacefully protesting due to my outrage at two non-white NYPD officers being assassinated by a black man.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Bob James posted:

No, I don't.

Ok. Then let's talk about what can be done to fix the system. I disagree with some of what's posted here, especially when it involves objectively false statements of how the legal system works, but that doesn't mean there's not room for improvement. Now, where I work, we don't have grand juries. I see that as a big part of the problem in the garner case especially, so one thing people can do is petition for legislation getting rid of the grand jury in favor of long form informations and hearings on probable cause. If someone is actually interested in doing this, I'd be happy to help write up why the grand jury system is flawed. But I don't have the ability to change procedural rules in states where I don't practice.

We also should focus on more racial minority cops with ties to their neighborhoods. There are two minds on this. One is that this would create conflicts of interest, but I don't think so. I think having at least a few officers born and raised can help give insight into the community and help build trust. When the faceless cop is no longer the faceless cop but the guy you talk with at the barber shop, see at the corner store etc etc I think it helps. But willingness to hire more minorities is one piece. More minorities need to apply. Our district has a lot of minority detectives. But we want more. We have one racial minority prosecutor. We want more. This is not a quota system. It's recognizing that we will be more effective of the community sees itself reflected in the system.

This brings us to juries. Believe it or not, I want black jurors on gang cases. They bring insight that a white suburban juror doesn't have. But I lose almost all my
Potential jurors because many of them are underemployed and would suffer financial hardship if forced to sit a trial longer than 5 days. One thing I am working on is trying to expand state law to require employers to pay for longer service or increase the state pay.

As for things I can more immediately control, emphasis on diversionary programs and remember your job as a prosecutor is to facilitate justice not get the highest score/longest sentence in every case.

Will post more later. Kid is up.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 22, 2014

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Because no one is actually discussing reform. Saying the cops suck over and over again is not reform. Which is why I asked what people are doing to change it. Apparently asking "what are you doing to help change the system?" is derailing the conversation because...yeah, sorry. I don't follow that logic.

You are getting a bad reception because you raised the policy question with aggressively personal phrasing ("what have you done"), and as if it was a rebuttal to an argument. In general, asking for concrete policy proposals is fine. The way you did it makes you look like a weasel.

tezcat posted:

But what happens when the Cops are the murderers and the prosecution refuses to do its job because they rely on said cops? Or when a cop gets poo poo canned because they dared defend a victim instead of an officer? That's really what the thread is about. And it highlights the level of corruption needed just to function in legal and why reform is needed there too (and also explains why ActusRhesus is so drat defensive in the thread too, it's a bitter pill to swallow when your livelihood is shown to be lovely and racist).

Though I do honestly thank ActusRhesus for their contribution to the thread. Whether they intended to or not it shows a bit of the mindset of on the legal side of things, unsurprisingly it shows the "with us or against us" mindset most cops are so famous for.

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes. I can't imagine why I wouldn't be leaping to listen to your many valid points. Serious question: what have you actually done to bring about positive change? Do you volunteer for any civil rights orgs? Published any scholarly works on inequality in the justice system? Planned a career as a PD?

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 22, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

hepatizon posted:

You are getting a bad reception because you raised the policy question as an ad hominem rebuttal to an unrelated argument. In general, asking for concrete policy proposals is fine. The way you did it makes you look like a weasel.

Well, consider the audience. It's difficult to be polite to someone who has repeatedly hurled ad hominems at you. So instead of reasoned discussion, you get "and what the gently caress are you doing, keyboard warrior?" The exchange you quoted pretty much proves my point.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

Ok you are really starting to sound like a dipshit. I'll post more later about what a dipshit you're being but my kid is up.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Well, consider the audience. It's difficult to be polite to someone who has repeatedly hurled ad hominems at you. So instead of reasoned discussion, you get "and what the gently caress are you doing, keyboard warrior?"

Well, if you want to prove you're the Serious Policy-minded Adult in the room, that's where the rubber hits the road. Right now, you're making the reasonable parts of your argument pretty hard to find.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Shachi posted:

Ok you are really starting to sound like a dipshit. I'll post more later about what a dipshit you're being but my kid is up.

Is this the forums version of TO BE CONTINUED because it's pretty gay

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

hepatizon posted:

Well, if you want to prove you're the adult in the room, that's where the rubber hits the road. Right now, you're making the reasonable parts of your argument pretty hard to find.

I've actually tried to have an actual discussion on this numerous times in here. There's also a thread in ask/tell about ferguson that's having a much more productive dialogue.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

Hi Cole. You have a backlog of undefended arguments. Please refer to my post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646642&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post43895588

ActusRhesus posted:

I've actually tried to have an actual discussion on this numerous times in here. There's also a thread in ask/tell about ferguson that's having a much more productive dialogue.

Cool, so why are you acting like a teenager in this thread? You agree that your childish epithets undermine your claims to being a Serious Policy-minded Adult, right?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Let's productively talk about this article maybe!

e: Today, I stopped caring about my fellow goon. I stopped caring about my forum, the OPs, and those Lowtax. I stopped caring today because once noble posting has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted. --CheesyDick

CheesyDog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 22, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

Hi Cole. You have a backlog of undefended arguments. Please refer to my post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646642&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post43895588

This thread is full of people who will never agree. My point at one point was to not stereotype and DND basically told me stereotyping is ok in some situations.

Like profiling.

So I pretty much give up on appealing to logic and don't care to try to argue with you.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

hepatizon posted:

Cool, so why are you acting like a teenager in this thread? You agree that your childish epithets undermine your claims to being a Serious Policy-minded Adult, right?

I disagree with your characterization of my posts.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

This thread is full of people who will never agree. My point at one point was to not stereotype and DND basically told me stereotyping is ok in some situations.

Like profiling.

So I pretty much give up on appealing to logic and don't care to try to argue with you.

In case you forgot, your discussion with me was not about stereotyping; it was about whether the media should be obligated to give positive press coverage to the police, and whether the police should be more motivated than positive press coverage than by their obligation to society. Unless you've realized your position is indefensible, I'd like to continue that discussion.

ActusRhesus posted:

I disagree with your characterization of my posts.

ActusRhesus posted:

I could convince a jury of your peers that these are the words of a teenager.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

In case you forgot, your discussion with me was not about stereotyping; it was about whether the media should be obligated to give positive press coverage to the police, and whether the police should be more motivated than positive press coverage than by their obligation to society. Unless you've realized your position is indefensible, I'd like to continue that discussion.

I don't care

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Cole posted:

I was referring to his (her?) last post. No I'm sitting her at my desk pretending to do work for two days on the eve of Festivus.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

I don't care

If you don't care about having reasoned discussions, what is your interest in posting here?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cole posted:

The point you (and ActusReus) seem to be missing is that nobody gives a poo poo it some or most cops are hard-working well-mannered citizens who don't view black people as subhuman. The police as an institution has shown itself over and over again to be straight up dangerous to minorities, regardless of whether or not they've broken any laws. So when people poo poo on all cops rather than those with an obvious personality disorder, it's because they're part of an institution that has done much to earn any distrust it is currently experiencing. That's not stereotyping, that's pointing out that the fact that you're wearing a uniform means that you're representing a group of people that is responsible for an absurd amount of dead persons of color.

Cole posted:

Shachi posted:

As a goon cop reading this thread and others like it, I often imagine that all goons are the same wieners that call us to make a report about being bullied on the internet or their neighbor's dog making GBS threads in their yard.

For content sake I love how DnD is a constant stream pointing out who is the biggest human being rather than discussing the issue using such passive aggressive techniques as empty post quoting, or the ever popular "45 pages ago you said this which clearly contradicts what you're saying now ergo you are the most human being".

:smug: "Lol you thought this would be a productive discussion on the forums of a comedy website??"

EDIT: If you need me I'll be rioting, looting and calling for the death of people peacefully protesting due to my outrage at two non-white NYPD officers being assassinated by a black man.

Stop using homophobic language because people disagree with you on the internet, thanks.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

If you don't care about having reasoned discussions, what is your interest in posting here?

Are you trying to make this whole thread about me again? I'm flattered.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ActusRhesus posted:

When you get mad you should just stop posting for a bit until you can calm down. I mean, I hate to seem paternal or condescending here but descending to the level of your opponents only makes you look just like them.

Also, most of us here are just completely without hope that things will ever get significantly better in our lifetimes or due to our actions. I mean, African Americans have been fighting for equal treatment since the first slaves were brought over and they still haven't got it. Is there progress? Sure, but it feels like manning a bucket line into an active volcano, you make a difference but that difference is pretty loving laughable and can be wiped out by any number of events well beyond your, or anyone else's, control.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Shachi posted:

As a goon cop, what do you think about how even law-abiding white men are questioning the behavior of police around the country? Like, when you see a hillside execution of a homeless man in Arizona, a teen girl beaten in a jail cell, a teen boy slammed headfirst into a cinder block wall, an officer body checking a cyclist, half a dozen officers emptying their clips at a car in a crowded intersection, a baby flashbanged in his crib... The list goes on and on...

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

botany posted:

The point you (and ActusReus) seem to be missing is that nobody gives a poo poo it some or most cops are hard-working well-mannered citizens who don't view black people as subhuman. The police as an institution has shown itself over and over again to be straight up dangerous to minorities, regardless of whether or not they've broken any laws. So when people poo poo on all cops rather than those with an obvious personality disorder, it's because they're part of an institution that has done much to earn any distrust it is currently experiencing. That's not stereotyping, that's pointing out that the fact that you're wearing a uniform means that you're representing a group of people that is responsible for an absurd amount of dead persons of color.

Stop using homophobic language because people disagree with you on the internet, thanks.

Stop giving words like "gay" power over you like that. I meant it as "stupid" and I'm pretty sure you know that. YOU are the one who is framing it as homophobic.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

CheesyDog posted:

Let's productively talk about this article maybe!

e: Today, I stopped caring about my fellow goon. I stopped caring about my forum, the OPs, and those Lowtax. I stopped caring today because once noble posting has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted.

What is there to discuss? Right off the bat the cop makes sweeping generalizations and ends up at a point of "woe is me my job is so rough but I'm going to do it anyways because it makes me feel like Batman". The article is not helping anything, even with its attempts at showing that it may understand the issues at hand, because it just points out some bad things but acts like that is the reality everywhere. De Forest is a piddly little town outside Madison with less than 10,000 people, and almost all of them white and wealthier than the surrounding areas, so basically nothing about this open letter or the person writing it makes me think they truly understand the situation that oppressed people are dealing with every day. There were more minorities at my High School than in the entire town this guy works in.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cole posted:

I don't care

Admitting you're just here to cheerlead: a bold choice.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

joeburz posted:

What is there to discuss? Right off the bat the cop makes sweeping generalizations

This entire thread is a sweeping generalization so those should be allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Shachi posted:

I was referring to his (her?) last post. No I'm sitting her at my desk pretending to do work for two days on the eve of Festivus.

See, this is what I mean. Type three paragraph post outlining ways to improve justice system, and this is the immediate response. Is there any wonder this conversation struggles to move past circle jerk?

• Locked thread