Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rolleyes posted:

So whilst doing a bit of research for a friend who wanted to get back into using his Nikon camera, I noticed there seem to be a lot more (relatively) low cost prime 35mm options for Nikon than Canon.

What's up with that? Am I missing something about the two systems which makes them inherently cheaper on Nikon?

Nikon makes a DX (aps-c coverage) specific 35mm prime, and Canon does not - that one gets to be smaller, lighter and cheaper because designing for APS-C can save you a lot of space with retrofocal wide angle lens designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There's no good cheap 35 mm for APS-C, true, but there's now the 40 mm pancake and the 24 mm pancake (which is APS-C only) which are both super cheap and awesome lenses. I used to be jealous of my friend's cheap DX 35 mm prime, but with the pancakes it all seems to even out to me.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 was always told to me as the 'just get this lens, its awesome' go to for canon. If I buy a 40mm pancake vs this for a crop sensor (60D) Im presumably going to be able to get closer while keeping everyone in frame.

Are there any other advantages of one over the other ?

edit: for general picture taking, kids. nothing landscape or building-wise

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 21, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Roundboy posted:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 was always told to me as the 'just get this lens, its awesome' go to for canon. If I buy a 40mm pancake vs this for a crop sensor (60D) Im presumably going to be able to get closer while keeping everyone in frame.

Are there any other advantages of one over the other ?

edit: for general picture taking, kids. nothing landscape or building-wise

The focus speed and accuracy are much better on the pancake (although it's not a speed demon itself, the plastic 50 is just ridiculous slow). Focusing is also much quieter on the pancake. The 50 is 1+1/3 stop faster aperture wise, but it's hazy and low contrast wide open anyway.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

harperdc posted:

There's no good cheap 35 mm for APS-C, true, but there's now the 40 mm pancake and the 24 mm pancake (which is APS-C only) which are both super cheap and awesome lenses. I used to be jealous of my friend's cheap DX 35 mm prime, but with the pancakes it all seems to even out to me.

There's the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. What's 5mm between friends?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a good bit more than a 36/1.8dx.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I just bought a 6D and I want a battery grip for it. Is the $180 Canon grip actually worth it or should I just go with a third party for 1/3 the price?

I'm excited to get it since my current camera is a Rebel XSi I've had for nearly six years. I rented a 6D when I went to Iceland earlier in the year and loved it, don't know why I waited this long.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

It's a good bit more than a 36/1.8dx.

The Sigma might also be more expensive than the 40 and 24 mm pancakes combined. Definitely heavier than both.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

harperdc posted:

The Sigma might also be more expensive than the 40 and 24 mm pancakes combined. Definitely heavier than both.

One of the major features of the Sigma 50mm/1.4 is that I can beat someone to death with it and not damage the lens at all.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SFH1989 posted:

I just bought a 6D and I want a battery grip for it. Is the $180 Canon grip actually worth it or should I just go with a third party for 1/3 the price?

I have an original Canon grip for my 6D and it's nice. I like grips, I've had them (all original Canon) for my 350D and 7D as well. I've never tried a non-Canon grip.

The 6D grip seems not quite as comfortable as the 7D grip, it's a bit more angular. Also, the batteries have to be mounted in a carriage and slid in through the end, the 7D grip just had a door and you could take out each battery separately.

If you have the option, go try them out. I think ergonomics is the biggest factor, the buttons and electronics (I actually don't even think they contain anything but switches and wires) are pretty much the same.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got a 3rd party grip for my 600D a few years back and it was absolutely perfect, the build quality was brilliant for the price I paid.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Been really happy with the pixel/vertax one for my 70d, on the rare occasion that I use it

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have an adorama brand grip for my 50d and it's been great for the last few years. I prefer the feel of a gripped camera and extended battery life so it stays on most of the time. It can get a little heavy especially with a big lens. Surprisingly the build quality and materials matches the camera really well. In my opinion a $50 grip was just as good as the $200 grip.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I have the Vello grip that came with one of the B&H kits for the 6D, and no complaints. There is a very subtle difference in the feel of the textured plastic compared to the body, but it is hardly noticeable. I've had 3rd party grips for 3 canon bodies now and no real problems. On my 60D there would occasionally be a contact problem but just taking out the cartridge and putting it back in would solve the problem.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I was looking at the Vello grip but most of the reviews complained about the battery tray lock tab popping out constantly. Has that happened with yours?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

SFH1989 posted:

I was looking at the Vello grip but most of the reviews complained about the battery tray lock tab popping out constantly. Has that happened with yours?

Never, and I've usually got my camera banging around at the end of a shoulder strap.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I bought a Zeikos for my 6D, but the contacts didn't line up properly so I had to torque the whole assembly to get it to work and then hold it just so to continue to work. Tossed it after a few days.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.
I've got the pixel/vertax for my 6d. There's a lot more metal built into it than the other aftermarket ones I looked at; it looks and feels like it belongs on the camera. Mine came with a pair of super cheap aftermarket batteries, one of which died after about a month. Aside from that it's been fine after a year and a half.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I'm going to buy a 6D soon here and I'm wondering if the 24-105 /4 kit is the way to go for an all-around lens, or if anyone has another suggestion for something to cover basic kids/ portraits/ walkaround situations, in that price range?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I'm going to buy a 6D soon here and I'm wondering if the 24-105 /4 kit is the way to go for an all-around lens, or if anyone has another suggestion for something to cover basic kids/ portraits/ walkaround situations, in that price range?

It's the perfect vacation/walk around lens, plus it's L glass. Makes it easy to travel with just one lens and one body. I doubt you'll find anything else like it for the price they go for used.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Anyone have experience with both the 70D and 7D mk II, particularly ergo wise?

I'd like to move up to a current gen model from the 60D, which has been pissing me off lately because the autofocus has a habit of saying "gently caress it, I'm out" with poo poo light and moving subjects, and I'd like to believe the MOAR CROSS TYPES MOAR FOCUSING in the current models would help with this. The 6D's low-light center point would be ideal, but I don't want to go back to focus-recompose, and everything other than the center point on the 6D is garbage.

However, one of my pain points with the 60D/70D is the lack of the nipple for AF point selection, which I'm worried would be exacerbated by having more points on the 70D. My experience with the 60D is that the selector on back wheel/set button is limited because there's dedicated button for each point and it doesn't work half the time--i.e. if the camera is "sleeping" (nothing lit up in the viewfinder) because I haven't tried to focus or meter recently it won't actually change the point.

The rest of the differences I'm on the fence about: I don't usually do video, so lack of a flippy screen isn't a killer, and I have no particular need for a touch screen assuming the physical controls are sane. The massive price difference is a bit of a killer though, since I probably can't sell my 60D for much.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
If its any consolation I played with a 20d joystick and liked the idea of the dual wheel for selection since my finger was there anyway on a 60d.

I'm actively shopping for one and it seems that $4-500 is the typical pricing across all places.

I'm in no way a power user or have a need to change away from center unless I have a specific composition I am setting up, so grain of salt and all that

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What about a 7d Mk I? They should be pretty affordable now that the Mark IIs are out.

I have a 60D at home and I use a 70D at work, and they feel basically identical.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

What about a 7d Mk I? They should be pretty affordable now that the Mark IIs are out.

I have a 60D at home and I use a 70D at work, and they feel basically identical.

7D Mk I has a pretty old sensor at this point, correct? Looks like it's the same one as the 60D, and the dpreview test shots at high ISO look the same or better, so gently caress it, I guess ISO over 1600 won't look any worse.

As far as used prices, I don't see shutter actuations listed on any of the Amazon or KEH offerings, and it looks like replacing that would add an extra ~$200, but also reports are that it will often live beyond the rated 150k. Should I be concerned about that?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Hi res Canon kit spotted:

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

IPvSH6T posted:

Canon crop has a pretty old sensor at this point, correct?

Fixed it for you. Yeah the 7d has basically the 50d's sensor so it was the last time Canon actually bothered to improve their crop frame sensor. Though don't let me stop you from the 7d2 just go realistically into what you're buying when you're buying into canon crop.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
I bought myself a Yongnuo 468 II for xmas and went about testing yesterday. Unfortunately, it won't fire while attached to my T1i/500D in any of the modes (TTL, Manual, Multi). However, it works on slave mode as an off camera flash. Anyone have any ideas as to why it won't work on camera? I'm going to try it on my brother's T3i tomorrow to see if it'll fire.

Edit: tried it on the T3i. Still not firing.

smooth.operator fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 27, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

smooth.operator posted:

I bought myself a Yongnuo 468 II for xmas and went about testing yesterday. Unfortunately, it won't fire while attached to my T1i/500D in any of the modes (TTL, Manual, Multi). However, it works on slave mode as an off camera flash. Anyone have any ideas as to why it won't work on camera? I'm going to try it on my brother's T3i tomorrow to see if it'll fire.

Edit: tried it on the T3i. Still not firing.

Could very well be a problem with the electronics in the mount - if the wiring is bad down there, it could fire as an optical slave, but not from the pin.

I have a YN-500EX that had a couple loose wires in the mount, opened it up and reseated them in the connector because sending it back to China would have been a PITA. Could give that a try before you send it back (or just send it back if you don't want to gently caress around in there)

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Got the 40mm pancake for Christmas, wow is that lens awesome. Been said a lot, but really you have no excuse not to pick one up. Glad they have a 24mm now for crop sensors, very pleasantly surprised at how nice 40mm is on a full frame. Except in really low light or have enough room to use an 85, this isn't coming off the camera very much.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Bob Mundon posted:

Got the 40mm pancake for Christmas, wow is that lens awesome. Been said a lot, but really you have no excuse not to pick one up. Glad they have a 24mm now for crop sensors, very pleasantly surprised at how nice 40mm is on a full frame. Except in really low light or have enough room to use an 85, this isn't coming off the camera very much.

I think I will pick it up too, my father has it and I love playing around with it. Also canon has a special cash back offer running in Germany right now, maybe they are doing the same thing in other countries too. You get 30€ if you buy a pancake, 50€ for a T5i (I just ordered one, will be here on Monday :allears:) and for some of the insanely expensive L stuff you even get 200€ back. And the 55-250 Stm is looking really nice as well at 190€ and 30€ cash back :ohdear:.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
It's really a shame they made the 24mm in EF-S only. If it's even close to the same ballpark as the 40 it'd be so awesome to have that be a cheap wide angle on full frame.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Bob Mundon posted:

It's really a shame they made the 24mm in EF-S only. If it's even close to the same ballpark as the 40 it'd be so awesome to have that be a cheap wide angle on full frame.

Making it with a large enough image circle to cover full frame sensors would likely break the price point. Doubtful that it was a choice considering that 24mm x 1.6 = so close to 40mm as not to matter. Just be glad crop can get a slightly-shorter-than-normal pancake now in addition to the slightly-longer-than-normal pancake.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Shellman posted:

Making it with a large enough image circle to cover full frame sensors would likely break the price point. Doubtful that it was a choice considering that 24mm x 1.6 = so close to 40mm as not to matter. Just be glad crop can get a slightly-shorter-than-normal pancake now in addition to the slightly-longer-than-normal pancake.

I don't think they could make it a pancake either. EF-S lets them move something like 10mm closer to the sensor without hitting the mirror (and this lens protrudes a bit back into the mirror box, although some other EF-S designs don't) , so that + APS-C coverage means a much simpler/smaller retrofocal group.

Just look at the 24mm 2.8 IS to see what a FF coverage 24mm/2.8 looks like. (That one could be a bit smaller if it lost the IS & internal focusing like the pancake, but still not nearly as tiny)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

The 24-105 4.0L is pretty awesome, and it's not a big surprise it comes bundled with the 6D. It's only f/4, yes, but 1) it's full frame so it matters less, 2) it's constant-aperture and 3) the 6D kicks rear end at high ISOs so it doesn't matter.

It weighs very little, so combined they make a great, light travel setup.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I use the 24-105 for all my portraits. Its a really great lens.

Only beef is that the zoom is a bit loose, so it walks out when you have the camera pointed down.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

bolind posted:

The 24-105 4.0L is pretty awesome, and it's not a big surprise it comes bundled with the 6D. It's only f/4, yes, but 1) it's full frame so it matters less, 2) it's constant-aperture and 3) the 6D kicks rear end at high ISOs so it doesn't matter.

It weighs very little, so combined they make a great, light travel setup.

Second this. I bought my 6d with the lens and I was fully intent on selling it and using the money towards a 24-70 2.8. I decided to play with it before I sold it and fell in love right away. I was used to a f 2.8 on a crop thought f4 would suck, but f4 on a FF is basically the same as 2.8 on a crop. Secondly, I had been using a 70-200 2.8 IS II since it came out and have really loved that super sharp, bright color, contrasty "L" look it gives my photos. As far as I can tell without pixel peeping, the image quality is just as good as the 70-200.

Now that I've been using it for a year I could care less about the 24-70 2.8. The extra reach on the long end is way more useful than the extra stop imo. If I really want super shallow dof, I'd rather just pop on a prime.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Thanks for the input, ya'll.

As I was talking to a retail salesperson about the 6D, he suggested the 24-70 /4 over the 24-105 /4, over a consideration of "sharpness". I raised my eyebrows and he went on, not making a ton of sense, but I couldn't tell if it was my lack of knowledge about color fringe, or if he was just trying to get me to buy a more expensive lens.

I'd use the 24-105 for posed portraits in any case, so I think I know which lens I'll probably get, but what could he have been talking about?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the input, ya'll.

As I was talking to a retail salesperson about the 6D, he suggested the 24-70 /4 over the 24-105 /4, over a consideration of "sharpness". I raised my eyebrows and he went on, not making a ton of sense, but I couldn't tell if it was my lack of knowledge about color fringe, or if he was just trying to get me to buy a more expensive lens.

I'd use the 24-105 for posed portraits in any case, so I think I know which lens I'll probably get, but what could he have been talking about?

The 24-70 has sharper corners wide open than the 24-105 does, if you're willing to sacrifice the long end & some extra cash to get them.

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

timrenzi574 posted:

The 24-70 has sharper corners wide open than the 24-105 does, if you're willing to sacrifice the long end & some extra cash to get them.

It also has surprisingly good macro capabilities for a standard zoom (.70x vs. .23x on the 24-105L).

I got the 24-105L and used it on my 6D as well. Great versatility and quality for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If you know you want to do portraits, you might want to consider picking up a used/refurb 85/1.8 or 135/2 instead of a zoom.