Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ApathyGifted posted:

Where did we get the idea that Cap opposed the lack of oversight for SHIELD?

I just re-watched Winter Soldier last night, and the only time Cap expresses an opinion about how SHIELD operates is during the scene where he's introduced to Project Insight.

He starts in Fury's office complaining that Fury didn't give him the full details on what was going on. That conversation was entirely about trust, nothing about oversight.

Once they get down to the helicarrier docks, he berates Fury that the tactics used are all about controlling people instead of protecting them. Again, nothing about oversight.

And SHIELD had oversight anyway: the World Security Council, which was an actual multinational council that both Fury and Pierce had to answer to. And since Pierce killed all of them, it's a safe bet none of them were HYDRA. Pierce also mentions subcommittee hearings when Fury wants to delay the launch, and of course at the end of the movie (and the end of last season and the beginning of this season), there's a whole bunch of answering to Congress and the U.S. military.

Yeah I was going to post something to this effect last night but I was too tired.

Cap's problem with SHIELD was that they seemed more interested in controlling people, even through fear, "for the greater good." Which set off some red flags for him.

That is why I was saying he probably wouldn't have issue with the current micro-SHIELD. They are more about defending people from threats like HYDRA than they are about enforcing world peace through brute force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

OK you gotta explain this. How is a tv show joke going to get you on an actual no-fly list?

Because people are very, very stupid.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Sharmat posted:

SHIELD should not exist but it's believable that Coulson would think it should and it doesn't make him a bad person, plus it leads to interesting stories.

I don't see the cognitive dissonance.

That's pretty much where I am. Nothing wrong with watching and enjoying a show about people who are doing stuff that, if it was the real world, would be messed up stuff. Hell, nothing wrong even with watching a show where people are doing stuff that's kinda questionable even within the context of their own world. Obviously Coulson isn't Dexter Morgan or Walter White but he's not 100% wholesome BillHeathcliff Huxtable, either.
edit: whoops apparently his name wasn't "dad" or "bill"

ApathyGifted posted:

And SHIELD had oversight anyway: the World Security Council, which was an actual multinational council that both Fury and Pierce had to answer to. And since Pierce killed all of them, it's a safe bet none of them were HYDRA.

I forgot about this and it's a good point; I sorta assumed they were little more than an extension of SHIELD, but you're right, if he killed them all then they weren't.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 21, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Thank god he's not a Bill Huxtable.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
At least then the show would have some actual menace instead of Dr. Claw's Hydra's foiled plot of week.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Season 2 has been poor so far.

They really need to reduce the number of episodes. The already thin storyline is being stretched/diluted. Additionally, the fascination with mid-season finale's is causing too many nothing episodes because they have to pad it out or risk shooting their bolt too early.
The action/fight scenes are complete cringe especially when you see how great the Marco Polo ones have been.
Having said that, Agents suffers the same issue as Polo - the key character (Skye) is given nothing to work with. A better actor would do more with it though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Don't take the bait people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have to. There's a Marco Polo series with a karate Marco Polo?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kung Fu... man... Sifu Hundred Eyes. Blind Kung Fu master. :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

WastedJoker posted:

Season 2 has been poor so far.

They really need to reduce the number of episodes. The already thin storyline is being stretched/diluted. Additionally, the fascination with mid-season finale's is causing too many nothing episodes because they have to pad it out or risk shooting their bolt too early.
The action/fight scenes are complete cringe especially when you see how great the Marco Polo ones have been.
Having said that, Agents suffers the same issue as Polo - the key character (Skye) is given nothing to work with. A better actor would do more with it though.

I disagree; I can't think of a single episode so far this season that hasn't advanced the overall plot. Unlike season 1, there haven't been any throwaway villain-of-the-week episodes. I will admit the fight choreography is a bit over the top, but given that this is a comic book series, I want to see the over the top action. I do agree that a lot of Skye's usefulness is a holdover from Season 1, where she was using her hacking/social engineering skills a lot more often.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

I have to. There's a Marco Polo series with a karate Marco Polo?

Kung fu, not karate. :colbert: But yes. It's not actually very good, but it's at least entertaining.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is actually very good, its just not great and probably not $90 million well spent.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I can't think of a better fight moment in recent cable TV than May head slamming agent 33 against the coffee table.

gently caress the haters.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burning_Monk posted:

I can't think of a better fight moment in recent cable TV than May head slamming agent 33 against the coffee table.

Banshee: Olek vs Anna. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPdeq1rB1jA
Banshee: Hood vs Kai, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ok3h8E42Qs
Marco Polo: Hundred eyes vs Everyone (no link.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Power Rangers in Space: Adam vs. Lizwizard (unmorphed)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Don't take the bait people.

I don't agree with him but having an unpopular opinion on SA is not bait.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Come on mate, you can stay, but the bullshit has to go.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Thank goodness we have "Garbage Dick" around to tell people how to post.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

greatn posted:

Power Rangers in Space: Adam vs. Lizwizard (unmorphed)

Not even the best fight that season :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's fun to say Lizwizard though. If marvel doesn't have an inhuman called Lizwizard they need to get on that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Irish Joe posted:

Is it fair to hold a default avatar against someone?

... he asked nervously..

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wow. 8 minutes of actors throwing each other into the set.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Burning_Monk posted:

The gold standard all media tries to live up to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

gently caress off Joe, you need all the help you can get.

PriorMarcus posted:

Wow. 8 minutes of actors throwing each other into the set.

RIGHT!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Sharmat posted:

Maybe if they registered them or something so the government could at least keep track of them.

And how well did that work in X-men when they wanted to register mutants?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

And how well did that work in X-men when they wanted to register mutants?

They all signed up and got free obamaphones, and diplomatic relations with genosha were normalised. US govt paid reparations to disenfranchised mutants and Magneto paid survivors of his victims in a civil suit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The whole Registration Act in comics is a sore point because no two writers could ever agree on what it actually was. Some had it as "If you have powers and want to fight crime, you must train successfully as a special law officer. If you don't we will arrest you as we would any other chump going around and beating people up."

Others had it as "If you have powers you must train to be a special law officer or we will arrest you for the crime of simply existing."

Also, after arrest you got sent to a prison in another dimension which sapped your powers and sent you insane. Also, you can't appeal your decision because evil space prison isn't on US soil.

Also, that entire universe is ruled by one of the most powerful and evil megalomaniacs in existence. This being has literally quadrillions of soldiers willing to fight to the death for him. He also wants to conquer our universe. Also, there happens to be a doorway to Earth in the prison.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's not really that crazy, by US foreign policy standards.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The unrealistic part was that the massacring of a grade school actually resulted in any political change. Maybe if speedball had used a gun instead.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, that entire universe is ruled by one of the most powerful and evil megalomaniacs in existence. This being has literally quadrillions of soldiers willing to fight to the death for him. He also wants to conquer our universe. Also, there happens to be a doorway to Earth in the prison.

Pretty much. Asking people with super powers to register and train with a government agency before beating people half to death in the name of "justice" is a good idea, which is why its so disappointing when the guy behind the idea inevitably turns out to be the Red Skull.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
My comparison of Agents to Marco Polo was not meant to offend. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Edit: Sorry, meant to post this in the Marco Polo thread.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nobody cared.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WastedJoker posted:

My comparison of Agents to Marco Polo was not meant to offend. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Edit: Sorry, meant to post this in the Marco Polo thread.

I have now paid attention to you. If some attention and human contact is all you were looking for, mission accomplished, you can leave happy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Guys, I know how much my opinion means to all of you and I want to offer my sincerest apologies if you found anything I said about Marvel's Agents of SHIELD offensive or off-putting. Its hard when one of your heroes and most respected posters has an opinion you don't share, so I thought this apology was necessary just in case anyone was thinking about committing suicide over my comments. They're just opinions and, though I know you look up to me, you shouldn't hate yourself for having an opinion different from mine.

Thank you.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

greatn posted:

The unrealistic part was that the massacring of a grade school actually resulted in any political change. Maybe if speedball had used a gun instead.

The difference is that people don't have superpowers. People love moral outrage and political change as long as they aren't negatively affected by it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was the sticking point with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. They just wanted to be a family and not super hero, but nope, Hill and Stark had to have everyone with powers to get registered. Also, some people had an issue of their secret identities being known to the goverment. Though in the MCU, that really isn't an issue, at least until Daredevil is part of it.

Hopefully by the time Cap Vs Shellhead : Rise of Registration comes out, the MCU will be more populated with superpowered beings so its a bigger thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BreakAtmo posted:

The difference is that people don't have superpowers. People love moral outrage and political change as long as they aren't negatively affected by it.

A gun is a pretty kick rear end superpower. Just imagine Harry Potter and had one. Slitherin house wouldn't stand a chance.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Irish Joe posted:

Guys, I know how much my opinion means to all of you and I want to offer my sincerest apologies if you found anything I said about Marvel's Agents of SHIELD offensive or off-putting. Its hard when one of your heroes and most respected posters has an opinion you don't share, so I thought this apology was necessary just in case anyone was thinking about committing suicide over my comments. They're just opinions and, though I know you look up to me, you shouldn't hate yourself for having an opinion different from mine.

Thank you.

Christ dude, you'll get your turn, I can only really pay attention to one person at a time, have some patience.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Irish Joe posted:

Tell us more about that kid's blowjob lips Irish Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

My favourite part of Skye shooting Ward is how shocked and hurt he looks. He really thought she'd forgive him. Crazy Ward is the best thing this show has done

McDragon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 28, 2014

• Locked thread