Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So, I've played Splendor a few times, and I'm wondering if there is a better strategy than the one I defaulted to my first game.

Essentially I look at the available nobles and go for the 3/3/3 that overlaps with the most other nobles, generally at most it will overlap with 1-2 4/4 nobles. Anyway, I pretty much ignore points and just by first/second level mines (whichever is cheaper after discounts) until I am able to grab a noble. If a mine isn't available in the colors I am searching for I will reserve a high level mine it seems an opponent is working towards.

It seems pretty basic but I've been remarkably successful with that strategy and want to know if there is a better one out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thing is, are you forced to take a bunch of gems in order to pay for the mines of those three colors? Someone with a more balanced 5 color strategy will have to pay fewer gems overall, saving turns of taking gems. Is that better? Good question! If I knew the answer, I might like Splendor a bit less. ;)

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Honestly, I think 7W with cities and leaders is complicated enough for a medium-weight game. I love the game and have both previous expansions, but feel absolutely no desire to get Babel.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Big McHuge posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the Babel expansion (haven't tried the Projects, just the tower). We regularly play with both Leaders and Cities, and while those give you extra things to do and help provide direction to your strategy, I feel like Babel gives you too much. To me, it added a bit too much complication to a game that was actually pretty elegant. I'll try it out a few more times just to make sure, but I'm not in any kind of rush to do so.

Yeah this is the kind of thing I'd heard. Yeah Babel gets decent reviews, but its hard to think its worth picking up with Splendor next to it and cheaper (as in new other rated game) or that it could go to something bigger.

Reviews have been kind to it but I rarely see price considered in that summary. O know SUSD pointed out how little you get for Escape expansion for the price, but I don't see much more than that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh, I thought your stuff still coasted along and you got something.

We'll know better next time!

You might have been confused with the rule for no engine power, where Galaxy Trucker allows you to coast along with no engines until you hit an Open Space.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

echoMateria posted:

I was interested in this game when it was just released. Rahdo praised it as a two player game at Rahdo Runs Through►►► Theseus: The Dark Orbit. Shut Up & Sit bashed it to the ground as a four player game at Shut Up & Sit Down Reviews: THESEUS.

I don't think I have ever played four player actually, mostly two player but one of the very best I ever played was a three-player.

I sometimes wonder if the abstract/high-level elements mixed in with the more thematic elements make the game more susceptible to that thing where people go in with a strong sense of what a (for example) derelict spaceship game should be like, and are disappointed or upset when it isn't that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

You still get credits for your cargo, but rounded down.

I thought you still got to play the cards, weather asteroids and whatnot, and just couldn't opt-in to things like planets stuff. I thought you only had to drop completely out if you hit Open Space with no engines, at which time you sold everything for half.

Otherwise you kept on truckin, in a dead ship, til the end. If you had anything make it to the end, you could sell it for full.

(To be honest, this was still hilarious, as it was fun to see if anything would make it to the end.)

Now I know that was wrong, and you Drop Out immediately (sell for half, etc) if all your crew dies.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Note that your ship must have at least one human on it; aliens won't pilot the ship properly, they weren't trained in the life support controls, only in engines and weapons and...misc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

Thing is, are you forced to take a bunch of gems in order to pay for the mines of those three colors? Someone with a more balanced 5 color strategy will have to pay fewer gems overall, saving turns of taking gems. Is that better? Good question! If I knew the answer, I might like Splendor a bit less. ;)

If you spread too wide, you will get blocked on the top row. You're better off focusing on three colours where possible, so your second row cards are collected by acquiring one or maybe two gems from the market and are often free.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you spread too wide, you will get blocked on the top row. You're better off focusing on three colours where possible, so your second row cards are collected by acquiring one or maybe two gems from the market and are often free.

I'm thoroughly unconvinced that you know the strategy deeply enough to say that that is *true*. Saying that is one possible strategy, absolutely, I already said I'm pretty sure it is. Is it the only reasonable strategy to take?

I mean, anecdotally you're wrong, I've gone wide and still managed to buy top level cards, for example the 5 3 3 3 ones are pretty nice that way. Or the 6 3 3 ones.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I've won Splendor without purchasing a single tier 3 card in games where the nobles' gem interests had a lot of overlap.

edit: Integral to this strategy was vindictive holding of tier 3 cards other players could have potentially bought.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Note that your ship must have at least one human on it; aliens won't pilot the ship properly, they weren't trained in the life support controls, only in engines and weapons and...misc.

Aliens are highly trained, a single alien is certainly capable of piloting the ship. The problem is that aliens have no concept of loyalty :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Aliens are highly trained, a single alien is certainly capable of piloting the ship. The problem is that aliens have no concept of loyalty :v:

Okay fine, I admit it, I forgot which way it went in the description in the rulebook so I just went with a plausible explanation. :3:

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010

jivjov posted:

Anyone gotten their hands on Mountains of Madness for EH yet? I know I'm gonna pick it up since I love the hell out of Eldritch...but I'm wondering just how awesome it is and if I need to run and get it as soon my FLGS gets it in or if I can wait til New Year.

I have it and have played it once. it does do a good job of avoiding the bloat of AH. Basically you only use the expansion board if you run one of the two new ancient ones, or if a particular one of the new prelude cards comes up. The prelude cards basically modify the setup of the game. The one we got added two already defeated investigators to the board at the start of the game, that you could go visit to get their starting items and an easy artifact. Kind of neat. The new AO that uses Antarctica (Rise of the Elder Things) does lengthen the game by adding a 4th mystery to win and 4 more cards to the Mythos deck. I can't speak to the prelude that uses Antarctica. But other than those two situations, it just adds more stuff without increasing play time. More cards to existing decks, including some neat new conditions. New investigators, new monsters, new gates that spawn in the expedition spaces. it's pretty good, I like it so far.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Waitress looks awesome, from my glance over her card. I usually play the Astronomer and go hardcore mage for late game bullshit like killing Cthulu by myself and she seems like she'd be even stronger.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Trynant posted:

A thought occurred to me regarding BattleCON and Yomi that make me feel the two are even less comparable than they are. Once Upon a Time, Broken Loose talked about how he plays 2D fighters of the Video Game variety, so Yomi/BattleCON kind of lose their relevance. I thought about that...and kind of wonder how it holds true to BattleCON, actually. BattleCON keeps up the appearance of a 2D fighter, but Yomi definitely takes home the "abstracting feeling like a 2D fighter award." BattleCON, however, gets this weird and possibly unintentional side-effect of being a game that isn't totally trying to be how a fighting game feels on card; as such it gets to do some interesting things that strictly don't work in a video fighting game.

BattleCON is more like if a 2D fighter was played in some weird freeze-frame, tool-assisted mode where dexterity was removed completely but no core mechanic was put in to replace this removal other than making complex characters (maybe). It's essentially a different game idea as a result.

I can't argue which is better (or if I did I'd probably concede Yomi as a better-executed design maybe). I enjoy BattleCON a ton because of my perverse glee in exploring new game mechanics*, and holy poo poo BattleCON has dozens and dozens of characters and isn't afraid to drastically alter the game mechanics for their unique abilities.

I agree with most of your assessment. Where I slighty disagree is that I unequivocally believe Yomi to be the better designed game. Countblanc and I have both gone into the whole "quantity does not equal quality" thing before and I still fully believe that there's a thousand times more depth to playing any given Yomi character over any Battlecon one.

However, as you say, both games accomplish different things and comparing them to eachother is almost as useful as comparing it to any other dueling card game(M:TG, Netrunner etc). The only reason they're often paired in conversation is because of their shared inspiration. Hell, Flash Duel probably works as a better comparison to Battlecon.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 22, 2014

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Any recommendations for a late Xmas gift? Friend is a decent board games fan - huge fan of acquire, hates Catan, has but is equivocal about power grid, ticket to ride, carcassonne, the 4 player warhammer themed one, and a few of the Japanese themed ones. His favorite game was probably munchkin but we stopped because of the imbalances of the original game and mediocrity of the expansions. I was thinking castles of burgundy based on the last few pages but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Edit:also has and loves Arabian nights but it's more of a storytelling mechanism than a game

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 22, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ambushsabre posted:

What do you guys think about the Lord of the Rings LCG re: quaterbacking?

It can be super quarterbacky. I'm very tactically minded, and my gf is not. So as the turn progresses, I'm plotting out how to squeeze every possible point of attack and defense, how to manage threat, etc, and basically end up telling her what to do because she suffers from AP and a short attention span when it comes to these games. She consequently does not like LotR LCG, even though she LOVES LotR.

She'd much rather play 7 Wonders or Castles of Burgundy, which are far more forgiving for less tactically-minded folks.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pander posted:

It can be super quarterbacky. I'm very tactically minded, and my gf is not. So as the turn progresses, I'm plotting out how to squeeze every possible point of attack and defense, how to manage threat, etc, and basically end up telling her what to do because she suffers from AP and a short attention span when it comes to these games. She consequently does not like LotR LCG, even though she LOVES LotR.

Same.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Does Through the Ages have hidden information (that's visible to at least one player)?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pinegala posted:

Any recommendations for a late Xmas gift? Friend is a decent board games fan - huge fan of acquire, hates Catan, has but is equivocal about power grid, ticket to ride, carcassonne, the 4 player warhammer themed one, and a few of the Japanese themed ones. His favorite game was probably munchkin but we stopped because of the imbalances of the original game and mediocrity of the expansions. I was thinking castles of burgundy based on the last few pages but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Edit:also has and loves Arabian nights but it's more of a storytelling mechanism than a game

That's a little vague, but Castles of Burgundy sounds like it'd be a strong pick. It's got a lot of that 'how do I maximize my points here' sort of play that Power Grid and Carc do, as I understand them. I've only played Carc a few times and nobody I know owns Power Grid.

Keyflower's also pretty good at that, but it adds in the bidding with workers mechanic. It's a longer game, though.

Xom posted:

Does Through the Ages have hidden information (that's visible to at least one player)?

Yeah, your events and war/territory cards are hidden and played into an event stack.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Just to confirm, the firefly boardgame is terrible right? I was given a free copy but I'm inclined to leave it in the shrink wrap and sell it unless I've heard wrong and it's good.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Blamestorm posted:

Just to confirm, the firefly boardgame is terrible right? I was given a free copy but I'm inclined to leave it in the shrink wrap and sell it unless I've heard wrong and it's good.

You heard right. Sell it to some nerd.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Blamestorm posted:

It's complete trash but some "Browncoat" will try to convince you otherwise. Ignore them and sell it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xom posted:

Yes, military cards in hand are secret.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blamestorm posted:

I've seen it played. It took about four hours plus setup and breakdown.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Blamestorm posted:

I posted a rant about it last thread but short version is random random random random random look that guy from episode 1 random random random oh god it's been three hours random.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Would you enjoy a mutual masturbation session while watching the Firefly tv show y/n

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

pinegala posted:

The four player Warhammer one is probably Chaos in the Old World. If he likes that, Kemet has a similar feel (play as a god, upgrading troops to make very different tactics work, and an emphasis on attacking your opponent screw up their plans) and is brilliant fun. It's a fair bit more streamlined too.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 23, 2014

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Jabor posted:

Would you enjoy a mutual masturbation session while watching the Firefly tv show y/n

I dunno, that sounds lots more fun than this game from the comments so far - anyway, it's getting the boot ASAP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jabor posted:

If I was looking for a game to play in under 40 seconds I'd be playing Love Letter

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ambushsabre posted:

Quarterbacking is a problem that happens when one person at the table is much more experienced than the other player(s). If everyone has a similar level of experience, it's called collaboration instead, and encouraging collaboration is the actual goal of co-operative games.

Lord of the Rings LCG is a prebuilt deck game, so you have the problem that you always have with prebuilt deck games when playing with a more casual group - the person who's most keen on the game will be the one who builds the decks, gets the expansions, brings everything to the table while the other(s) play through what that person has decided to give them. In these cases, you will be much more experienced than your gaming partner, and you risk turning the whole thing into a game you are playing by yourself with someone else helping keep track of what you're doing.

In most games you can just play them a few more times until everyone knows enough about the game that they can all provide meaningful input. It's a different sort of quarterbacking problem you get with LotR LCG, as it needs people to go away and do their homework (that is, build their own deck), and it can be hard to get people to start making that kind of mental investment. Once that happens though, quarterbacking will start to turn into collaboration, but getting to that point can be difficult with a game with as much going on as LotR LCG.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Countblanc posted:

If I was looking for a game to play in under 40 seconds I'd be playing Love Letter

I'd play 40 second firefly game!

As it is our group ends up playing it occasionally, because 1: We're idiots and 2: We're Firefly fans. (Not synonyms!)

Latest 2-3 hour long scenario we played ended around 5 hour point, because we decided to quit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blamestorm posted:

I may be interested in buying it off you. I enjoyed it when I played it at my FLGS' game night. And I've never even watched Firefly.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

bobvonunheil posted:

Quarterbacking is a problem that happens when one person at the table is much more experienced than the other player(s). If everyone has a similar level of experience, it's called collaboration instead, and encouraging collaboration is the actual goal of co-operative games.

Lord of the Rings LCG is a prebuilt deck game, so you have the problem that you always have with prebuilt deck games when playing with a more casual group - the person who's most keen on the game will be the one who builds the decks, gets the expansions, brings everything to the table while the other(s) play through what that person has decided to give them. In these cases, you will be much more experienced than your gaming partner, and you risk turning the whole thing into a game you are playing by yourself with someone else helping keep track of what you're doing.

In most games you can just play them a few more times until everyone knows enough about the game that they can all provide meaningful input. It's a different sort of quarterbacking problem you get with LotR LCG, as it needs people to go away and do their homework (that is, build their own deck), and it can be hard to get people to start making that kind of mental investment. Once that happens though, quarterbacking will start to turn into collaboration, but getting to that point can be difficult with a game with as much going on as LotR LCG.

My general strategy when introducing new players to LOTR LCG is to not focus on optimal play, but showcase cool moments.

I've gotten two people locally into the game, so I call that a win.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
So I guess I'll post this trip report on Diskwars. Finally pulled the trigger on this one since I'm such a big fanboy for the Warhammer fantasy universe. It's pretty satisfying. Plays in about 1-2 hours once everyone knows the rules. It is essentially the tabletop wargaming experience stripped down and made to be able to fit in a tube of pogs. Have played two games so far, one where I closely beat one of my gaming friends and another where I lost horribly like 31-5 against my wife who managed to somehow pin 1/3 of my army under a Bloodthirster. Don't let 1/3 of your army get pinned under a Bloodthirster btw.

Actually collecting a real warhammer army and paying the requisite million dollars and million man hours of painting time doesn't appeal to me at all so I find the diskwars experience very enjoyable.

I only have a couple of criticisms. One, shooting seems like for lack of a better phrase: a crapshoot. Either you make good rolls and you manage to snipe key units off the board and secure a good position, or you roll bad and don't. From what I understand about the real Warhammer game this is an accurate simulation of what goes on.

The other is that the game looks like its ultra dead so if you are hoping for a local group to game with or even for some new expansions beyond what is already out I suppose you are just out of luck. The game is going to be one where I only get to play when others use my set, and this is a tragedy because this game would be freaking awesome in a league/tournament setting.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

jivjov posted:

I may be interested in buying it off you. I enjoyed it when I played it at my FLGS' game night. And I've never even watched Firefly.

I'm in Australia which may dampen your enthusiasm somewhat as shipping won't be cheap internationally; if you or anyone else is still interested just PM me.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

jivjov posted:

Get Xia instead, if you can find it. Same general theme, but much more gameplay (even if it needs houseruling to not be as broken/random)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jabor posted:

That's too many words, just say "Are you a Browncoat?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

ambushsabre posted:

As others have said it can be bad, however it's worth noting that the game does suggest you play with a certain amount of info hidden from other players - you're never meant to read directly from your cards, or show anything from the encounter deck that only you have seen through scrying effects or whatever. In practice my group find this tricky since the game can be really difficult, so YMMV.

It definitely helps if whoever you're playing with wants to make their own deck. I can't really quaterback my main partner since there are parts of his deck I never really see.