Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

karl fungus posted:

The other two Kerbals lifted off but they didn't have enough fuel to get back to Kerbin, so they ended up crashing into the dark side of the moon.
I think I see why: You're at 17 km and still aiming almost straight up. When getting back into orbit on a body without an atmosphere, you want to start your eastward turn (unless rendezvousing with a non-eastward-travelling mothership) as soon as possible. If you go into map view (you'll have to pull up the navball in there manually) you can keep an eye on your apoapsis, and for the Mun, 10k is plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Probe Control Room is awesome, I think I'm going to do all my unmanned missions IVA-only from now on. It even has MechJeb integration.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Mister Bates posted:

Probe Control Room is awesome, I think I'm going to do all my unmanned missions IVA-only from now on. It even has MechJeb integration.

Is that your IWW flag? Anarchosyndicalist space travel, nice! :anarchists:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

mrpwase posted:

Is that your IWW flag? Anarchosyndicalist space travel, nice! :anarchists:

It's my real-world local's flag, I just took the motto and state name off of it to get a more general IWW flag.

e: File's right here if you want to use it: http://i.imgur.com/MaK6zvR.jpg

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 22, 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mister Bates posted:

It even has MechJeb integration.

Can you swap out RemoteTech instead? I'd totally be down for that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Warbird posted:

Can you swap out RemoteTech instead? I'd totally be down for that.

It works just fine with RemoteTech out of the box, if you look in the upper left of the screen you can see I actually have it running on this install. It's also why there's a deployed antenna visible on the Vessel Viewer, need something to keep the satellite connected to the comms network.

My only issue with Vessel Viewer is that there doesn't seem to be any way to rotate the image, so you can only see three sides of the spacecraft. This one also has a deployed magnetometer boom (to act as an ore scanner in addition to the radar imagery sensor I'm using), but you can't see it because of the way the viewer is positioned.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Does it still shake the control room if you have kerbquake installed? That kinda broke it for me.

Speaking of IVA only though, as a sim nerd I'm really liking some of these new MFD mods, RPM gets better every month. Having an ILS on my planes is so nice, makes landing a breeze.

all I need now is someone super retentive to ALCOR up the mk2 and give me full on knob and switch awesomeness for the other ship functions.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 22, 2014

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is there a way to sort parts by which mod added them?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Ratzap posted:

Roverdude: I was fiddling with the Sounding rockets (I'm a fan of the 0.625m stuff already so it's a naturally regression) and I get that you want people to do 4 launches for the science. No problem there but the part labeling or write up in the mod post could be clearer. Also do they return science at all the heights? For example do I launch low/high atmos then low/high orbital or is it just once over each biome?

I use FAR and it's quite amusing how much difference a little tilt change makes. Varying the thrust limiter fine tunes the launch angle nicely too.

Yep science at all heights - they are very permissive WRT biomes and situations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

OAquinas posted:

As its a Liquid booster (and thus able to be restarted) I'd use it to get speed to that altitude, then right-click shutoff, create a new stage above the current one, drag it into there, then quickly stage to it. Boom, done.

SRB testing though...that's a bit tougher since you can't cheese the restage. But they get a bit easier when you empty them of solid fuel.

Wh-what? :stare:

Wait, you mean you can create new stages as you're flying now?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Doing dumb things with KSO

DrSunshine posted:

Wh-what? :stare:

Wait, you mean you can create new stages as you're flying now?

Have been able to since... almost the dawn of KSP?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've been playing for months and only learned this a few weeks ago. There are so many little tricks to the game- though this is just an example of never attempting it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I've been playing for months and only learned this a few weeks ago. There are so many little tricks to the game- though this is just an example of never attempting it.

Yeah, same for me. I got this game when it was still only $10 and the only thing you could really do was launch a rocket to the Mun, but I never knew that you could twiddle with the staging until now. Geez, it's like a Paradox game almost!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

DrSunshine posted:

Geez, it's like a Paradox game almost!

This is both a humbling and horrifying statement. :stare:

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Maxmaps posted:

This is both a humbling and horrifying statement. :stare:

Aztec Invasion DLC! DO IT!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

quote:

"Jeb, the rocket seems to be deviating off course by 15 degrees!"
____/
:stonk:

quote:

"Give it a good tumble!"
____/
:jeb:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Dr Suntory posted:

Aztec Invasion DLC! DO IT!

Space Aztecs (Spaztecs) blew up my colony on the Mun!!!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Overwined posted:

Space Aztecs (Spaztecs) blew up my colony on the Mun!!!

Serious Jeb: Half:th Encounter?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I've been wondering why my mining rover has been deploying a tiny moving antenna when I mine Karbonite. Until now. Remember to put your drill on the craft the right way round, kids.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
http://gfycat.com/AjarFeistyKodiakbear

Well...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial or even just high-level documentation on UKS? The official tutorial looks great at first glance, but most of the pages are either missing outright or just have "WIP" instead of content, and the ones that do exist are for a much older version of the mod and refer to parts and resources that no longer exist.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ToxicFrog posted:

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial or even just high-level documentation on UKS? The official tutorial looks great at first glance, but most of the pages are either missing outright or just have "WIP" instead of content, and the ones that do exist are for a much older version of the mod and refer to parts and resources that no longer exist.

Given Roverdude seems to change the way it works every other version, any attempts at documentation so far have been fruitless.

If only it was self-documented *hint hint*

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I came back to KSP after ˜1.5yr hiatus and holy poo poo. :toot: I don't understand how paying :10bux: for this three years ago for this much work is sustainable, but I'm not arguing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

karl fungus posted:

Hudory Kerman is still up there, on the Mun, waiting for rescue. Now to figure out how to improve my lander with more fuel (or getting there more efficiently) while also adding a cabin for him to climb into, and a ladder.

Just for future reference, their jetpacks have enough thrust to elevate Kerbals off any body up to and including Duna. You don't need ladders on those bodies.

So you could have returned blown up all 3 Kerbals.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The little matryoshka doll on my desk just started screaming :gonk:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Here's my understanding of it.

The centrepiece of a station or base is the Colony Command Centre, which produces punchcards to run the other modules. Without these, the modules won't function.
The Power Distribution Unit is an optional module that provides power in place of solar panels, if you want that. It requires a supply of Enriched Uranium to function.

All the other active modules need to be filled up with Machinery before they can function, but don't consume it - it's a one-time requirement of resources. You might choose to leave without machinery if you have means of making it on a nearby base, or want to add it later on a different flight to save weight or something.
They also require a supply of Spare Parts, which do get consumed, so you'll need to regularly resupply or produce new ones. They don't need to have a filled supply, but having more means they last longer. The Spare Parts do not need to be contained in the modules themselves, but they can hold some.

There are two tiers of modules. The first one is concerned with life support.
The Kerbitat is your basic food production module. It turns Biomass into Food, and Waste into Compost. (Your kerbals, naturally, turn Food into Waste). This requires a Habitation Ring or Habitation Module - one of the inflatables - to do so. Kerbals need living space!
The Aeroponics module is the other half of the life support. It recycles Carbon Dioxide into Oxygen, Wastewater into Water, and Compost into Biomass. It needs an Agriculture Module inflatable to do this, since it's the plants doing all the work there and they need space too.

Also on this tier is the Biolab, which turns Substrate and Water found in-situ into Biomass, so you can generate food from local resources if you need to.

If your station or base has a C3, Kerbitat, Aeroponics, habitation and agriculture inflatables, and a power source, then your kerbals are good for a long time. They won't need any supplies. The modules will eventually run out of spare parts, though, and break down. That's what the second tier is for, the production tier.

The production tier is based around chemicals, polymers and metal. The Orbital Refinery turns Biomass into Polymers, Ore into Metal, and Minerals into Chemicals. Biomass is made in the Biolab, Ore and Minerals are found on planets. It will also produce small amounts of rare and exotic materials that are not useful, but considerably valuable, so you can take them home to Kerbin.
The Fabrication Module then turns each two of these materials into useful parts - Mechanical parts, Electronic parts and Structural parts.
The Orbital Repair Shop turns these three parts to make Spare Parts to top up your other modules.
Nothing is ever wasted on a base, and all the consumed spare parts are turned to Recyclables, which the Repair Shop will turn back into Polmers, Metal and Chemicals.
You also get the Machinery Plant, which turns the Mechanical/Electronic/Structural parts into Machinery so you can set up new bases without hauling so much up from Kerbin.

Once you have a colony set up and as expanded as you want, there is no need for further mining. Your first tier will fully recycle the life support materials, and your second tier will fully recycle the spare parts. You only need to produce more raw material if you're making a new base or plugging into EPL and using it on rockets.

Finally, there is the Science Lab, which enriches uranium for the PDU. Power is the exception to the "nothing is wasted" rule on bases. The Science Lab can turn Depeleted Uranium back into Enriched Uranium, but you'll only get half as much. You will need to supply it with found Uraninite to get more.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

withak posted:

I came back to KSP after ˜1.5yr hiatus and holy poo poo. :toot: I don't understand how paying :10bux: for this three years ago for this much work is sustainable, but I'm not arguing.

Just keep telling your friends and we can keep going! :toot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do I have any realistic hope of launching Station Science stuff when I don't have access to 2.5m engines/tanks yet?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Once you have a colony set up and as expanded as you want, there is no need for further mining. Your first tier will fully recycle the life support materials, and your second tier will fully recycle the spare parts. You only need to produce more raw material if you're making a new base or plugging into EPL and using it on rockets.

Or if you have ISRU contracts enabled in the configs! You have to manually add the resources but it's literally a matter of adding one word to a line in a text file, and the game supports all of the MKS minable resources as well as Karbonite for those contracts. It's usually a matter of 'Mine x amount of resource y on this body, then bring it to another body.'

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Do I have any realistic hope of launching Station Science stuff when I don't have access to 2.5m engines/tanks yet?

Use the tricoupler to chuck three engines below it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Maxmaps posted:

Is it too soon to talk about that merchandise deal hinted at earlier? I, too, want to throw more money at Squad.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Tippis posted:

Serious Jeb: Half:th Encounter?

Speaking of throwing money at Squad, I'd pay for this.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is it too soon to talk about that merchandise deal hinted at earlier? I, too, want to throw more money at Squad.

We have some cool traditional merch stuff being planned... And something insanely cool that we should be able to talk about some more once I'm back from vacation. Ottawa is lovely!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Maxmaps posted:

We have some cool traditional merch stuff being planned... And something insanely cool that we should be able to talk about some more once I'm back from vacation. Ottawa is lovely!

Did Elon Musk finally genetically engineer Jeb?!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Maxmaps posted:

KSP x Copenhagen Suborbital build your own space program kit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-4n-2MtECE

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 22, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Maxmaps posted:

LEGO confirmed.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
The new VAB part stuff is great, but now building rockets is a whole lot harder since EditorExtensions is next to useless.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

But some contracts are just not reasonable. It's okay to reject those!

I want to agree, but Gene Kerman keeps telling me it can be done.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

I've bought 3 copies of KSP for friends as christmas gifts. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just turned off Mechjeb and did a manual Mun landing and rendezvous and docking back with my main stage in orbit...1st try for all 3 parts (I sat there doing maneuver nodes for the rendezvous for way too long though and had at least one more burn than I needed).

It definitely reminded me of how powerful Mechjeb is though, it's got that poo poo down pat.