Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Voice attack makes this game a billion times better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Voice attack makes this game a billion times better.

How does it work? just press voice comms and they hear your belligerence or do they need to accept 'being hailed on all frequencies'

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

He means a 3rd party voice command system. EG: You say something like "Computer, Gear Down" and it activates your landing gear hotkey.

IffyNewtz posted:

Sorry, but that requires loving with the Cobra mkIIIs cockpit wiring. You need special tools just to get the cover off.

Pffft, just use a Screwdriver.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ahdinko posted:

To join in on the joystick talk again, just to reiterate, gently caress Saitek and gently caress the X55!
Had mine for about 3-4 months now, it broke last week when trying to undo the collar to change the spring. Saitek support have been giving me the runaround for a week and have a returns policy thats illegal in the UK and their attitude to me bringing it up was pretty much "already got your money so tough poo poo" (gotta pay to ship it to them)
Luckily I bought it from a retailer who is not Saitek and is awesome, theyre doing an RMA and then i guess they just send it back to Saitek themselves or whatever.

Also I don't think it has an Elite profile and I've been struggling to setup one that works well, anyone else got one they can share so I can stop accidentally boosting into stations when my stick comes back?

There is definitely a default Elite profile for the X55.

Some other options: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21522

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

IffyNewtz posted:

This game is pretty much what I have wished for since I was kid playing Elite on my dads bbc.
Just wandering around, exploring cool stuff like quadruple binaries, neutron stars, scooping fuel from blue hot supergiants... oh my, I've made a mess in the cockpit again.

So with my freetrack project a disappointment (lighting conditions and a window behind me + having to wear a hat), and my EDtracker componants on backorder until after Christmas. I decided to make something for my tablet that clears a few functions off my hotass, satisfies my primevel urge to press shiny clicky buttons and looks more like you're in the future or something instead of using that filthy old keyboard:

Stuff lights up and everything

I use CPP for a couple of games, most notably Kerbal. It's a customisable control pad app for tablets that lets you design a layout specifically for each game. It comes with some defaults but they're generally pretty crap. It takes a while to make a profile, but in generally the editor is straightforward and surprisingly powerful. The downsides are limited skins and buttons/graphic elements etc. And there don't seem to be many updates for the app, although it runs well in general on my ipad2.
http://www.frozenpepper.it/ccp/
You can check it works with the lite version, but custom skins etc need the full app.

I am sure I'm missing some important controls, and button placement etc. Any suggestions?
I'm going to tidy it up a bit and I'll upload the profile if anyone wants it. To get it to work you'll need to bind some stuff ingame and check they are correctly set for hold or toggle.

Ideally I'd love it if Frontier themselves did something like this with the proper UI styling and tabs etc, instead of the crappy app they released for smartphones.

See you at Big Harry's!

Psst, "Stellar"

e: this is loving amazing though and the perfect use for those shitbox android tablets you can basically buy by the pound.

e2: ugh wait is this ipad only, what the

Stanko-Prussian fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 22, 2014

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Psst, "Stellar"

Cheers. I'll probably name it back to 'galaxy map'. I was quite drunk last night and thought I was king of ui programming hence the 'embellishments'.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

Frontier posted:

Hi,

here are the latest server changes:

Hot-fixes from over the weekend:

- When a distributed transaction fails in a certain way, make sure the servers roll back such that Commanders' credit balances should be added to, even if we might have failed to remove the item they were selling
- Significantly reduce the number '499' timeout errors triggered when Commanders travel to certain types of star systems.
- Improve the 'stuck cargo' cleaning check when a Commander first logs in
- Fix a bug preventing some people logging into the Companion app

Today's changes:

- Fixed a bug that was sometimes causing a market to flip from being a net consumer to a net producer when the AI traders supplied significantly more into that market than the market demands. This will mean that many commodities currently listed at a low level of 'demand' will revert back to the 'not interested' price, as they should have been.

- Fixed a small set of bugs that were working together to cause the AI traders to significantly over supply an import market in a specific set of circumstances.

This bug fix will increase the demand numbers being offered to Commanders for consumed commodities where there isn't a large exporting market nearby supplying that demand.
Where large exporting markets are nearby, the AI traders will now respect their import caps and leave some demand for Commanders.
In that situation, the exporting markets should see a slightly increased level of supply available for Commanders to purchase.

These bug fixes together should also sort out some of the 'backwards' trade route data over the next day or so when the data next update.

For the trading the changes in demand should propagate quickly but for the trade routes may take a day or so. This has uncovered an issue with split markets stacking rather than being netter out, although this effect is minor compared to the previous issue. We'll then record the stats over Christmas to identify what further tweaks are needed.

Thanks!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

IffyNewtz posted:

E: Here is the profile if anyone wants to mess around with it.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=66823524863097897366

Nice! Now my iPad has something to do again! Hurry up 5PM!

MeatForBones
Jul 9, 2012

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Psst, "Stellar"

e: this is loving amazing though and the perfect use for those shitbox android tablets you can basically buy by the pound.

e2: ugh wait is this ipad only, what the

Anyone know of something similar that does run android?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

The trade changes sound promising.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

TheMightyZang posted:

Anyone know of something similar that does run android?

Yessir:

http://power-grid.roccat.org/en/Download/

They have an E:D profile too. Or rather many.

MeatForBones
Jul 9, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Yessir:

http://power-grid.roccat.org/en/Download/

They have an E:D profile too. Or rather many.

Sweet best thing I found was Touch Pilot which is stuck with Cesna esque buttons.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Funkysauce posted:

Nice! Now my iPad has something to do again! Hurry up 5PM!

Cool, have a play around because I really don't know what I'm doing. The profile works great and is fully functional, but it's basic and someone with a bit of knowhow could do all sorts with it. The app can read data outputs and apis from games, and show dynamic readouts and gauges etc. Here is my Kerabl layout, which was easy because there was already a game protocol for it in the app, with each 'channel' outputting different data such fuel, thrust, position etc

All those readouts are updated in realtime with no discernible overhead I can tell. It's great. Someone needs to make a plugin for elite.

For the android folk, sorry I didn't know it was ipad only. :(
There is this though: TouchDown. http://desrat.lightning-bolt.net/TouchDown/
Instead of running a server and emulating a direct input device, it makes a web page that you load up in a browser and press buttons on, so it works for remote screens as well as tablets etc.
edit: also an app called touchbuddy for android as well is similar but older.

Toxoplasmid fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 22, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I finished my training missions and tried my first real mission, got a mission to deliver beer from the little station I was at to the Aubakirov system orbital. I took the mission, did the jump, docked at the target and now... what? How do I deliver the cargo to the people and get paid? Sorry if this is stupid, but I went through every menu I could find :(

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

slidebite posted:

So I finished my training missions and tried my first real mission, got a mission to deliver beer from the little station I was at to the Aubakirov system orbital. I took the mission, did the jump, docked at the target and now... what? How do I deliver the cargo to the people and get paid? Sorry if this is stupid, but I went through every menu I could find :(

Go to the bulletin board; same place where you select missions is where you deliver on them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Duh, now I see the big "DELIVER CARGO" on the top.

Thanks

:downs:

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008

Groggy nard posted:

The panicked evasives I see people doing whenever they see CMDR Struggle Snuggle going through the mail slot at Max Thrust is worth the eventual collision.
Now I wish my name was CMDR Max Thrust.

IffyNewtz posted:

Cool, have a play around because I really don't know what I'm doing. The profile works great and is fully functional, but it's basic and someone with a bit of knowhow could do all sorts with it. The app can read data outputs and apis from games, and show dynamic readouts and gauges etc. Here is my Kerabl layout, which was easy because there was already a game protocol for it in the app, with each 'channel' outputting different data such fuel, thrust, position etc

All those readouts are updated in realtime with no discernible overhead I can tell. It's great. Someone needs to make a plugin for elite.
I really want this to be a thing for Elite: Dangerous.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So if you are in empire near the capital and need ship fits, CD-51 102 seems pretty good. 43 different weapons there in one station.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'd like to talk about guns, particularly for the Cobra and Asp.

I've still been focusing on multicannons and lasers in my weapons loadouts, but I've noticed people talking about weapons other than multicannons lately - what do you think are good combat loadouts for these ships?

Also, I like the idea of using fixed weapons on the Asp because they're so well placed, but I think my accuracy is poo poo. Is it worth it to use them anyway?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So earlier a color matrix was posted with negatives. I used that utility earlier to get a nice blue gui which is nice, but it's also sorta gross. I'm at work so cant' look at the utility now, but will it show negatives if manually inputted? If not, could someone who uses negatives post theirs and a screen so I can steal em? The one posted earlier stated something about their colors with no screen, it was
code:
<MatrixRed> 0.18, 0, -1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -1, 1, -1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.15, 0.32, 1 </MatrixBlue>

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kesper North posted:

I've still been focusing on multicannons and lasers in my weapons loadouts, but I've noticed people talking about weapons other than multicannons lately - what do you think are good combat loadouts for these ships?

Also, I like the idea of using fixed weapons on the Asp because they're so well placed, but I think my accuracy is poo poo. Is it worth it to use them anyway?

The answer is "beam lasers forever".

Fixed weapons on the Asp could work but Cobras and smaller are going to out maneuver you every time. Unless beam lasers forever.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

KakerMix posted:

The answer is "beam lasers forever"

Really? I thought they were inaccurate when gimballed and eat too much power.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Kesper North posted:

With fixed guns you either need to be maneuverable enough to keep a close target in the crosshairs, or be fast enough to burn away and make strafing runs.

It'd work fine against larger ships, but smaller ones would get in your face and cut you to pieces with impunity IMO.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kesper North posted:

:confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDwqBwnOJMw

:confused:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Kesper North posted:

That was my experience with them. But one thing to keep in mind is that the inferior weapon slot on the cobra really need to be equipped with gimbals to be anywhere near useful.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If my lasers are sucking down too much power, do I upgrade the reactor first or the distributor first?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Gimbals are probably a lot more effective in a lot of situations, but if you want the WWII style high-tension efforts to get the perfect shot lined up throwing fixed guns on an Eagle is super fun. The fact that bigger =/= better also means a well-kitted Eagle can kill a whole bunch of things, though sometimes Cobras and Vipers will just decide to walk away from you and there's not much you can do about it.

Ak Gara posted:

If my lasers are sucking down too much power, do I upgrade the reactor first or the distributor first?

Distributor. The Reactor determines how much total power you have available, but the Distributor is what actually lets your systems get access to it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the Discovery scanner is fired off in supercruise (or normal speed) like a weapon. It sends out a Magic Space "Sonar" ping that reveals all celestial objects within 500LS/1000LS/Systemwide(?) range for the basic/intermediate/advanced. These will show up as "Unexplored" contacts in your navigation menu. You then have to target these Unknowns and scan them by facing them and flying close enough (distance varies depending on object). If you have a detailed surface scanner it works automatically as part of this process.

I was trying out scanning last night. Does the scanner work as a sphere around you, or a cone in front of you? I was in some sectors around Jotunheim, and managed to discover one of the unexplored binary stars in a system through sheer stupid luck. I was about to jump to another system when I noticed a star was moving against the static background some 5000ls away. When I scan it, and its associated planets/moons, does that information become available to everyone? Because if so: that is loving awesome.

MeatForBones
Jul 9, 2012

Not sure that's beam lasers being effective more the Lakon Love Nudge he's giving them.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

tooterfish posted:

With fixed guns you either need to be maneuverable enough to keep a close target in the crosshairs, or be fast enough to burn away and make strafing runs.

It'd work fine against larger ships, but smaller ones would get in your face and cut you to pieces with impunity IMO.

I use small gimballed beam lasers and medium gimballed autocannons on my unshielded Carg-obra Mk III. Usually, the accuracy and dmg of all four hitting a ship smaller then me wrecks them in a few passes, so I approve. For larger targets, I run, because.... I have no shields.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Wookums posted:

So earlier a color matrix was posted with negatives. I used that utility earlier to get a nice blue gui which is nice, but it's also sorta gross. I'm at work so cant' look at the utility now, but will it show negatives if manually inputted? If not, could someone who uses negatives post theirs and a screen so I can steal em? The one posted earlier stated something about their colors with no screen, it was
code:
<MatrixRed> 0.18, 0, -1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -1, 1, -1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.15, 0.32, 1 </MatrixBlue>

Hope you like green!

Linked from the tool itself is this thread - some presets included: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73419

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Luccion posted:

I have no shields.

No Lakon Love nudge for you

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I just spent a couple hours in this game. I have no idea what I'm doing but it sure is loving pretty and fun. :downs:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BaconPigbutt posted:

That was my experience with them. But one thing to keep in mind is that the inferior weapon slot on the cobra really need to be equipped with gimbals to be anywhere near useful.
Yeah, you don't have the choice really the lower slots of the cobra are too far apart to both hit a target smaller than another cobra with both lower weapons if you don't use gimbals. I am using 2 size 2 beams in the upper-slots and i can melt a sidewinder down to 40% hull before i empty my capacitor if i manage to keep my fire focused on target, which isn't that hard and most of the time i can also fire both fixed beams/gimbals multicanons at the same time and hit with everything during the short dogfight following the destruction of the shield .

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Take a look at about 1 min in. His lasers are barely doing anything. Also if your opponent has chaff then what?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You unlock your lasers and pretend they are fixed?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No wait, shoot his chaff off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ram him as you are a wedge in space

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

IffyNewtz posted:

This game is pretty much what I have wished for since I was kid playing Elite on my dads bbc.
Just wandering around, exploring cool stuff like quadruple binaries, neutron stars, scooping fuel from blue hot supergiants... oh my, I've made a mess in the cockpit again.

So with my freetrack project a disappointment (lighting conditions and a window behind me + having to wear a hat), and my EDtracker componants on backorder until after Christmas. I decided to make something for my tablet that clears a few functions off my hotass, satisfies my primevel urge to press shiny clicky buttons and looks more like you're in the future or something instead of using that filthy old keyboard:

Stuff lights up and everything

I use CPP for a couple of games, most notably Kerbal. It's a customisable control pad app for tablets that lets you design a layout specifically for each game. It comes with some defaults but they're generally pretty crap. It takes a while to make a profile, but in generally the editor is straightforward and surprisingly powerful. The downsides are limited skins and buttons/graphic elements etc. And there don't seem to be many updates for the app, although it runs well in general on my ipad2.
http://www.frozenpepper.it/ccp/
You can check it works with the lite version, but custom skins etc need the full app.

I am sure I'm missing some important controls, and button placement etc. Any suggestions?
I'm going to tidy it up a bit and I'll upload the profile if anyone wants it. To get it to work you'll need to bind some stuff ingame and check they are correctly set for hold or toggle.

Ideally I'd love it if Frontier themselves did something like this with the proper UI styling and tabs etc, instead of the crappy app they released for smartphones.

See you at Big Harry's!

Does this just connect through the whatever connector into USB? Gonna play with this ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

You unlock your lasers and pretend they are fixed?

So just buy fixed lasers because they do more damage, generate less heat, and are much cheaper.

• Locked thread