Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I was definitely in the camp that thought there was no chance North Korea was actually behind the Sony hacks. It just seemed like too convenient of a scapegoat, and too batshit crazy even for NK.

Welp.

As a guy whose technology obsession was heavily influenced by the cyberpunk novels of Stephenson and the like, I embrace our new confusing future. Eagerly awaiting my chance to apply for citizenship in the Franchulate of Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skooma512 posted:

They absolutely are going to train me, though my would be predecessor found the training and support to be lacking, especially at first.

Curious, what's the product specifically?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zero VGS posted:

Yes but http://goatkcd.com/sfw (still kinda :nws:) is the best webcomic ever

A decent chunk of goatkcd has better comedic timing than the originals.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Data is from the Windows eventlog. It comes in as a JSON string that gets handled by Logstash. In my configuration I have told logstash to not do anything to the data and stuff it right into Elastic Search. This results in the time from the events being two hours off from our local timezone.

So after some searching I've told logstash to transform the date by adding two hours on top of the one it gets. Effectively compensating for Eastic Search's time being off.

If run Logstash in this configuration and tell it to output to stdout and also ElasticSearch the output to stdout is correct but the date that goes into elastic search is not transformed.

This is from memory, the configuration is at work. I'll see if I can get them this afternoon. Thanks.

I checked the ES dates with Kibana and also with Curl. I might be misremembering some things, it's been awhile. The machine has the right timezone though.
I must have misstated what I'm looking for: can you post the JSON you're getting, what Logstash actually sees when it comes in, and what the actual record is when you pull it out of Elasticsearch? What are you using to grab JSON from the event log?

Erwin posted:

I just set up Logstash and this is what I don't get. They created a product that can do the job of Splunk with some tweaking, but seem utterly baffled when people choose to use it that way (not literally, but the documentation is geared towards Lumberjack only and basically ignores syslog). I mean I get it, its better for custom stuff where you can create JSON before sending to Logstash, but syslog is a thing that exists already. The filters I've found online for Cisco ASA syslogs don't work (grok failures), but that could be Cisco's fault for not being consistent I guess.

I really don't know what my point is other than it's so close to being a Splunk replacement, but is determined to do its own slightly different thing.
Logstash's creator, Jordan Sissel, went pretty in-depth into this in some of his presentations from the early days of Logstash. Essentially, the problem is that what we know as "syslog" is actually a clusterfuck of standards which superset each other, and network vendors (and IBM, of loving course) target a syslog RFC written during the 1980s. This means that trying to meaningfully parse data is impossible unless you have a filter written for every single device which might be sending you logs. Splunk has the budget to actually do this, but this kind of poo poo is also why their price tag is so much higher than Logstash/Elasticsearch/Kibana.

A community repository of Logstash filters would be a really good idea.

Inspector_666 posted:

A decent chunk of goatkcd has better comedic timing than the originals.
https://goatkcd.com/1458/sfw

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 19, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the low 20s in the page count of this thread and someone mentioned Salesforce professional services are a bad idea.

We have our business users clamoring to use Salesforce better than the glorified, clunky contact management system that we have it as now. Its implementation was done internally by someone who held my job two or three titles ago.

I am keen to not have to take on the responsibility of Doing Salesforce - I'm OK with permissions, superusers, assigning rights/perms, etc., but I am not looking to be the person to figure out what the business wants and put it into Salesforce.

Anyone know how to get these guys in a position where they can self-service and work with SF the way they want to and call the rep/support for Salesforce accordingly? I'm the 2nd tier in a 3-person IT operation, and while this may strike as goonish laziness, we've got enough to deal with as I've gotta run VMware, Citrix Xendesk, normal sysadmin/server admin stuff, plan for moving the office, and get a plan going for our vendor to upgrade our VoIP backend.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Inspector_666 posted:

I hate xkcd, I think it's an unfunny comic for elitists.

That said, I printed out that flowchart, pinned it up next to my mother's computer and said I wasn't going to help her with any issues unless she had exhausted each step.

She hasn't had to call me since.

I've only looked at it a few times and found it moderately funny at best but that flowchart is on point, as the kids say.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MJP posted:

I am keen to not have to take on the responsibility of Doing Salesforce - I'm OK with permissions, superusers, assigning rights/perms, etc., but I am not looking to be the person to figure out what the business wants and put it into Salesforce.

Sounds like you just need someone to get everything started and hand over the keys, I might know someone...

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MJP posted:

Anyone know how to get these guys in a position where they can self-service and work with SF the way they want to and call the rep/support for Salesforce accordingly? I'm the 2nd tier in a 3-person IT operation, and while this may strike as goonish laziness, we've got enough to deal with as I've gotta run VMware, Citrix Xendesk, normal sysadmin/server admin stuff, plan for moving the office, and get a plan going for our vendor to upgrade our VoIP backend.

Unless they want to hemorrhage consultancy money they'd be better off having a dedicated admin handle all that, it's pretty much what I spend most my time doing and there are constant changes small changes always being carried out.

If any of them are remotely techy or patient it's not too difficult to teach, as I've trained up someone who was originally in it for business reporting; and has become my living shield to draw fire from lovely little questions and minor page changes while I work on the bigger stuff, like constantly having to figure out how to get away from SF's closed in Apple-like infrastructure. :10bux:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

Unless they want to hemorrhage consultancy money they'd be better off having a dedicated admin handle all that, it's pretty much what I spend most my time doing and there are constant changes small changes always being carried out.

If any of them are remotely techy or patient it's not too difficult to teach, as I've trained up someone who was originally in it for business reporting; and has become my living shield to draw fire from lovely little questions and minor page changes while I work on the bigger stuff, like constantly having to figure out how to get away from SF's closed in Apple-like infrastructure. :10bux:

If I'm not careful, I'm going to become that dedicated admin. There's no physical space where we are and probably no budget to hire someone to work on Salesforce.

They are not techy nor patient. I could go on but it's really no different than most sales users at any SMB. The more Salesforce tasks I can steer them towards the rep or some other party, the better they can utilize it and the less I'll have to support.

Tab8715 posted:

Sounds like you just need someone to get everything started and hand over the keys, I might know someone...

I'd love to get their info. I'm talking to Cloud Sherpas, who does our Google Apps sales/support, about their Salesforce division and my business users are already in touch with our Salesforce rep. If we can get one more option that would be aces - PM me their details.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MJP posted:

I'd love to get their info. I'm talking to Cloud Sherpas, who does our Google Apps sales/support, about their Salesforce division and my business users are already in touch with our Salesforce rep. If we can get one more option that would be aces - PM me their details.

Sure, given it's the holidays it might not be until afterwords but I'll let you know.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Misogynist posted:

I must have misstated what I'm looking for: can you post the JSON you're getting, what Logstash actually sees when it comes in, and what the actual record is when you pull it out of Elasticsearch? What are you using to grab JSON from the event log?

I wrote my own event log shipper. I can format it any way I like. I'll post it later, too many beers.....

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FWIW, I've been pretty happy with nxlog as a shipper: http://nxlog-ce.sourceforge.net/ and http://nxlog-ce.sourceforge.net/nxlog-docs/en/nxlog-reference-manual.html . I haven't used its Windows eventlog input but it looks like other people are:

https://gist.github.com/stuart-warren/6726081
https://gist.github.com/mrlesmithjr/cf212836b9ce162373ed

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I've used it in the past and it's awesome. It's probably more robust and flexible than the Logstash agent itself, while clocking in at maybe a couple megabytes of memory usage. I might try it as a Linux shipper for HAProxy logs and stuff in a few weeks.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
How do I get my coworker to start asking the questions he really wants to ask, instead of stupid small parts of the pie? Multiple times a day it's like 5 stupid loving rapid-fire questions leading up to something like "did you shut x port on x switch?" when jumping right to that question would answer everything. I'm really trying to be tactful but it's incredibly grating when half the time I'm really focused on something else, or on the phone with a field tech, or eating lunch, and he shouts all these goddamn awful questions from across the room or leans on the back of my chair until I ask him what I can help him with. When I'm a dick about it he gets to that end result without all the lead-up so he's not trying to troubleshoot or anything, he's just saying words to hear his own voice.

e
So I don't come off as an rear end in a top hat- I have no problem helping dude out but there's a big difference between taking up 10 seconds of my time with a targeted question, and "do you see x port down on x switch?" "have you taken any calls about x switch?" "did you remote into x switch today?" "do you see x port on x switch down?" "did you shut x port on x switch?" Just ask the loving question man, I'm not going to get pissed at you if you ask if I did a function of my job.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 20, 2014

AKoM
Dec 19, 2014

Pudgygiant posted:

How do I get my coworker to start asking the questions he really wants to ask, instead of stupid small parts of the pie? Multiple times a day it's like 5 stupid loving rapid-fire questions leading up to something like "did you shut x port on x switch?" when jumping right to that question would answer everything. I'm really trying to be tactful but it's incredibly grating when half the time I'm really focused on something else, or on the phone with a field tech, or eating lunch, and he shouts all these goddamn awful questions from across the room or leans on the back of my chair until I ask him what I can help him with. When I'm a dick about it he gets to that end result without all the lead-up so he's not trying to troubleshoot or anything, he's just saying words to hear his own voice.

e
So I don't come off as an rear end in a top hat- I have no problem helping dude out but there's a big difference between taking up 10 seconds of my time with a targeted question, and "do you see x port down on x switch?" "have you taken any calls about x switch?" "did you remote into x switch today?" "do you see x port on x switch down?" "did you shut x port on x switch?" Just ask the loving question man, I'm not going to get pissed at you if you ask if I did a function of my job.

Some people are just like that I guess. I also know a guy like this. He is the kind of guy who will say he's sorry about 15 times if I say that I don't have time.
Basically I've come to the conclusion that he's just like that and I've adapted. It's easier to try to go easy on him than to have him do that. :P

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Pudgygiant posted:

e

Sadly I had a guy this like at my last job. I informed him in the most tactful way I could "I'm a busy guy, if you can't ask it in 5 words or less you are wasting both our time" He's actually taken it to heart and realizes that if he just sits and thinks about how to ask the question then he already knows the answer.

That was 6 years ago, he still remembers it, I don't and he's actually a linux engineer 3 now and has done really well for himself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So last night at the work party a manager got really really drunk and said that i'd be quadrupling my salary if I kept going on the way i'm going.

I'm certainly not expecting that, but it was nice to hear that he thinks so highly of me :3:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

dogstile posted:

So last night at the work party a manager got really really drunk and said that i'd be quadrupling my salary if I kept going on the way i'm going.

I'm certainly not expecting that, but it was nice to hear that he thinks so highly of me :3:
Not to be a cynic, but he's probably got a job offer on the table.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Misogynist posted:

Not to be a cynic, but he's probably got a job offer on the table.

Man, that's the definition of a cynic and you know it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just hit an exciting milestone! I had an old rear end server that was 100% full. I needed to free up a little space to install Networker and I thought that it was all from actual data until I noticed that the Users folder was a little big.

A few minutes later I found torrent files, music, audio books etc. It was an old IT employee's secret :filez: folder.

It actually ended up being a good thing because otherwise I'd be trying to figure out what to do with actual important data.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just hit an exciting milestone! I had an old rear end server that was 100% full. I needed to free up a little space to install Networker and I thought that it was all from actual data until I noticed that the Users folder was a little big.

A few minutes later I found torrent files, music, audio books etc. It was an old IT employee's secret :filez: folder.

It actually ended up being a good thing because otherwise I'd be trying to figure out what to do with actual important data.

WinDirStat will throw that poo poo a beatin' - and can be run from a network location. No install required.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lord Dudeguy posted:

WinDirStat will throw that poo poo a beatin' - and can be run from a network location. No install required.

Did not know you can run it without install. That's going to change things!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah you can run it against \\servername\c$ It often appears to hang for a while for me when run in this manner but it will eventually complete.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Treesize free can as well. I like it a little better than windirstat.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
Well, I learned something a few days ago... We moved and set up our servers, fired them up and for some reason couldn't rdp to one node of our two-node fail-over cluster. So after going home and brainstorming it at dinner it hit me that windows firewall might have fired up. So like an idiot I disabled the service and read up on why this is a really bad idea after everything went dark.

It was the firewall though...

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Zero VGS posted:

This is awesome, live hacking attack map: http://map.ipviking.com/?_ga=1.98376799.153405815.1403529861

Right now you can see people hammering St. Louis, even their computers can't catch a break.

A page back I am sorry, however I've been watching this site off and on for a bit, and I am curious about what is in St. Louis that is getting hit that hard and constantly (month and a half now)?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Koskun posted:

A page back I am sorry, however I've been watching this site off and on for a bit, and I am curious about what is in St. Louis that is getting hit that hard and constantly (month and a half now)?

I think there's a lot of backbone going through there connecting East to West in the US. The Mississippi River is pretty much the dividing line. And I think St. Louis is the largest metropolitan area on the river.

I remember a back hoe taking out a fiber run in St. Louis and killing our Frame Relay to CA from Chicago. This was a while ago, so things may have changed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just thought it was a bunch of attacks on Ferguson PD

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SaltLick posted:

I just thought it was a bunch of attacks on Ferguson PD

Never occurred to me, but makes a ton of sense. I keep forgetting Ferguson is right there just outside SL.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So Cisco decided to pull the plug on the Sourcefire licensing server last week, which as you may imagine caused quite a few issues. Our sales reps were finally able to get an answer as to when they expect to have all licenses migrated over to the Cisco format and server: mid January. Hey, great planning there to ensure there's no coverage gaps for your clients, Cisco.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Thankfully this hasn't been a problem I've had to deal with, but due to a manager being arrested, I'm now wondering how other IT departments plan for what to do if you accidentally discover extremely illegal stuff on a computer.

Is this normally something that is a written policy/procedure or what?

I'm just thinking that I'd probably be pretty rattled if it was an issue and being able to go on autopilot would be a blessing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Thankfully this hasn't been a problem I've had to deal with, but due to a manager being arrested, I'm now wondering how other IT departments plan for what to do if you accidentally discover extremely illegal stuff on a computer.

Is this normally something that is a written policy/procedure or what?

I'm just thinking that I'd probably be pretty rattled if it was an issue and being able to go on autopilot would be a blessing.

If you discover kiddie porn or something, stop what you're doing and call the police immediately. We aren't trained forensic investigators and loving around with your manager while you decide what your official course of action is going to be is a waste of time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mewse posted:

If you discover kiddie porn or something, stop what you're doing and call the police immediately. We aren't trained forensic investigators and loving around with your manager while you decide what your official course of action is going to be is a waste of time.

That's basically my mental plan.

I think the nice thing about it is that it really forces everyone involved to do the right thing instead of the easy thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's basically my mental plan.

I think the nice thing about it is that it really forces everyone involved to do the right thing instead of the easy thing.

Yes a major circumstance like that is actually somewhat easier to deal with than a gray area incident where you're not even sure you should speak up about what you've discovered. A lot of exhausting decisions lie down that road

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I actually just had that happen to me Saturday when I sold a gaming PC to a goon. His Dropbox pops up "teenboys.png" and we both see it, and my face turns white but it turned out to be innocent: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032491&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1675#post439228859

Edit: The poo poo I saw on people's PCs in the Navy, ranged from Brazzers to furry porn, but I kinda pulled people aside and said get that off your work PC, and you're lucky I caught you because anyone else in my department would ruin your day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Isolate the problem machine and immediately cut off all access to it and from it. Also be prepared to implement DR operations, because if it's housing child porn or something that violates RICO, they'll seize everything it's touched and you'll never get it back.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

mewse posted:

Yes a major circumstance like that is actually somewhat easier to deal with than a gray area incident where you're not even sure you should speak up about what you've discovered. A lot of exhausting decisions lie down that road

At my last job, the school Superintendent tried to make us "Wipe" the HDD of an elementary gym teacher. Apparently the gym teacher though it was a great idea to film his students during class without informing the parents. My department collectively refused to get involved and the situation blew up (IE parents found out) before they could force the matter.

Luckily I :yotj: the hell out of there.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

10 minutes into this morning's scrum meeting, and I'm the only attendee. Once 11:00 hits I'm bouncing and jumping on the weeklong wfh train.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Paladine_PSoT posted:

10 minutes into this morning's scrum meeting, and I'm the only attendee. Once 11:00 hits I'm bouncing and jumping on the weeklong wfh train.

I've never done scrum and I'm guessing that it rarely gets implemented properly but since you're the only person who showed up on time, I'd say you're already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've never done scrum and I'm guessing that it rarely gets implemented properly but since you're the only person who showed up on time, I'd say you're already done.

I'm calling it. This week's productivity time of death: 11am on Monday.