Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Keystoned posted:

I've noticed that lately my Apple TV won't wake up from sleep using the remote app. I have to use the physical remote but then it works fine.
I've noticed this, too, which is really annoying when we've misplaced the tiny remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I taught the Apple TV how to listen to our receiver remote, so it's okay when the tiny slippery remote disappears for a couple weeks: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3296

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Akuma posted:

Oh my god has anybody else found AirPlay to be a total chore from iOS 8 devices? What the gently caress did they do that for? I find that half the time I can't even get it to start working (when I select my AppleTV from the list it hangs for a while and then exits the menu with nothing selected) and it almost never works if I'm already watching a video on the phone when I start AirPlay.

God, it was so easy before. Makes me glad I still have an iOS 6 device knocking around to do all my AirPlaying from because it just sucks from my iPhone 5C.

I read somewhere that they changed it so that Apple TV prefers to connect directly to the phone for AirPlay, rather than via the wifi network they are both connected to. So maybe that is flaky. It doesn't seem like you can turn off that feature though, which seems dumb.

http://help.apple.com/deployment/ios/#/apd8fc751f59

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Akuma posted:

Oh my god has anybody else found AirPlay to be a total chore from iOS 8 devices? What the gently caress did they do that for? I find that half the time I can't even get it to start working (when I select my AppleTV from the list it hangs for a while and then exits the menu with nothing selected) and it almost never works if I'm already watching a video on the phone when I start AirPlay.

God, it was so easy before. Makes me glad I still have an iOS 6 device knocking around to do all my AirPlaying from because it just sucks from my iPhone 5C.
Interesting. My wife has been complaining recently about our iPad 4 not recognizing the AppleTV as quickly (or at all), and I never made the iOS8 connection. The issue certainly lines up time-wise. That's annoying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

cbirdsong posted:

I taught the Apple TV how to listen to our receiver remote, so it's okay when the tiny slippery remote disappears for a couple weeks: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3296

I bought an Onkyo receiver and it worked with my atv2 out of the box. I was sufficiently impressed.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

So there was an update to the YouTube channel which apparently now plays ads. I say apparently because it's failing to load any of my subscriptions.

I was hoping this day wouldn't come :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
"Channels" are looking really nice on the new YouTube app. But am I missing something obvious, or is there no way to actually view one's own channel? I thought a workaround might be to add myself as a subscription in browser-YouTube, but apparently you can't do that.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Minidust posted:

"Channels" are looking really nice on the new YouTube app. But am I missing something obvious, or is there no way to actually view one's own channel? I thought a workaround might be to add myself as a subscription in browser-YouTube, but apparently you can't do that.

Seems like there is a whole bunch of functionality missing. Plenty of people complaining on the official help forum at least: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/youtube/smart-tvs

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

Okay some questions for you Feenix :)

1) is your iMac connected/wired to same router that serves your 5ghz network?

Please provide the following info:

iMac: (Under Network System Prefs)

AppleTV:

And finally the results from a ping and trace route to the AppleTV's IP - open your Terminal.app and do the following:

If you can't ping/traceroute it means they are on different networks. (For example, when I was writing up this post I realized my Office AppleTV I use on the treadmill was on my Guest network, which does NOT have access to my iMac's network. Once I moved it to the correct internal network they could see each other. I think that is what is happening with you.)

Hope this helps! I'll check back later / tonight and see how you do. :)

Hey Kenderama:

I was recently trying to fix a browser issue, and now my ATV is no longer talking to OpenPlex again:

Per your request:

(disregard that hijack popover from OpenPlex)

And here is (I think, I have the baby in my lap, I would need to double check my ATV for IP) (Where do I find that?)
code:
Last login: Thu Dec 18 11:05:43 on ttys000
BSTAR:~ BSTAR$ ping 192.168.1.5
PING 192.168.1.5 (192.168.1.5): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=324.976 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=8.497 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=18.206 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=7.239 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=3.699 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=6.783 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=9.839 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=6.189 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=5.635 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=10.158 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.5: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=6.513 ms
^C
--- 192.168.1.5 ping statistics ---
11 packets transmitted, 11 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 3.699/37.067/324.976/91.116 ms
BSTAR:~ BSTAR$ 
[edit]Just like last time, I eventually sorted it out by just twiddling knobs aimlessly until something managed to work. :p

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 19, 2014

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
You need to set the DNS on your AppleTV to point to your computer. It's currently pointing to your router, which is what is normal. Plex connect requires you to have it as your computer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

You need to set the DNS on your AppleTV to point to your computer. It's currently pointing to your router, which is what is normal. Plex connect requires you to have it as your computer.

Yeah the course of events was... Tinkered with computer, it stopped working, started tinkering with ATV, made it worse, eventually fixed the DNS.
;)

As ways, thanks for your guidance! :)

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
Just picked one up today and it's been great so far.

The Netflix interface is so much better than the janky one on my Samsung TV.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

BromanderData posted:

Just picked one up today and it's been great so far.

The Netflix interface is so much better than the janky one on my Samsung TV.

Pretty much anything is better than the Samsung SmartTV interface. That shits embarrassingly bad. We bought it thinking we could move our ATV. Definitely not

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

Oh my god, how did I not know this was a thing? Just taught it the media buttons on my Sony TV remote since I never use the built in media stuff anyway. Amazingly convenient, thanks!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is it normal for there to be no audio when playing video podcasts at 1.5x/2x speeds from an iOS device via AirPlay?

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!
Has anyone been having any issues with connecting to an ATV to an iTunes library and streaming since the Yosemite update?

From looking around online there are some people having issues, but not many. I've tried following some suggested steps (rebooting router, renaming my Mac, renaming my iTunes library etc). But at best it works for 20 minutes before falling back to the "Could not connect to user library. Make sure computer is on the same network as your Apple TV, the iTunes version is up to date and iTunes is running". Which they all are.

I can connect to it to mirror my desktop, and my iPhone and iPad can Airplay to it. But for the life of me I cant figure out why it cant find my iTunes library. Has anyone come across/overcome this?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I had to sign out of, and back into my itunes account on both computer and apple tv.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Not sure if anyone else has been frustrated by not being able to activate AE, History, ABC, (not Lifetime) on Comcast on their Apple TV, but I saw this workaround posted on another site and figured I'd post here. It worked for me:

quote:

1. Login to your comcast account http://xfinity.comcast.net/
  2. Look up your channel in this table:
    code:
    Channel ID   Domain Name
    LIFETIME     mylifetime.com
    ABC          watchabc.go.com
    HISTORY      history.com
    AETV         aetv.com
  3. On the AppleTV > Select your Channel, then Settings > Sign in to Provider. Note the Activation Code
  4. Paste the following URL into your browser, with the appropriate fields updated
    code:
    https://api.auth.adobe.com/api/v1/authenticate?reg_code=YOUR_ACTIVATION_CODE_GOES_HERE&noflash=true&mso_id=Comcast_SSO&requestor_id=CHANNEL_ID_GOES_HERE&domain_name=DOMAIN_NAME_GOES_HERE&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.DOMAIN_NAME_GOES_HERE%2Factivate%3Fdevice%3Dappletv
  5. Load the URL
  6. Wait about 10 seconds and appletv will say: "Success! Your TV Provider account has successfully linked to the HISTORY apple TV App. Happy Viewing"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If someone buys a new Apple TV, does it have all fifty channels enabled on the main screen? Seems like that would be quite a mess for people if they just want Netflix and YouTube.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

smackfu posted:

If someone buys a new Apple TV, does it have all fifty channels enabled on the main screen? Seems like that would be quite a mess for people if they just want Netflix and YouTube.

They're all there by default I think but you can show or hide whichever ones you want in settings.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

fr3lm0 posted:

They're all there by default I think but you can show or hide whichever ones you want in settings.
You can also move them around and hide them on the home screen.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Not sure if anyone else has been frustrated by not being able to activate AE, History, ABC, (not Lifetime) on Comcast on their Apple TV, but I saw this workaround posted on another site and figured I'd post here. It worked for me:

This is very helpful, thank you!

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

dexter6 posted:

Could someone add this to the OP? Would be nice to keep up front.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can an ATV 2 be downgraded from the newer firmwares to older ones?

I know iPhones and iPads can't, but I don't know if it's the same for the ATV 2. Google is giving me conflicting answers.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I got an Apple TV 3 for cheap, can it do anything interesting besides streaming netflix?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

gmq posted:

I got an Apple TV 3 for cheap, can it do anything interesting besides streaming netflix?

do a hack and use Plex on it, which is actually how I watch exactly 100% of my television and movies.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Feenix posted:

do a hack and use Plex on it, which is actually how I watch exactly 100% of my television and movies.

I would but I don't have a media server.

I guess I could install the server on my laptop but I think that having the laptop with an external harddrive hanging from it defeats the purpose of the ATV.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
You can AirPlay from Popcorn Time, even with a PC.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Or download Handbrake, and any video you download can be converted to play in iTunes, and can be streamed easily from your Mac or PC to your TV.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dont forget Air Video HD which does on the fly transcoding and supports airplay too.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Can an ATV 2 be downgraded from the newer firmwares to older ones?

I know iPhones and iPads can't, but I don't know if it's the same for the ATV 2. Google is giving me conflicting answers.

The latest firmware that can be jailbroken is still being signed (5.3 for ATV2).
I was on an older firmware and upgraded to 5.3 acouple of weeks ago. I would assume that you can still downgrade as long as the firmware is being signed.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Feenix posted:

Or use airplay and the plex app on your iphone / ipad.

Airplay is pretty awesome since it means anything you can watch on your phone is now playable on your tv. I used airplay to watch the super bowl and it worked great.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Keystoned posted:

Or use airplay and the plex app on your iphone / ipad.

Airplay is pretty awesome since it means anything you can watch on your phone is now playable on your tv. I used airplay to watch the super bowl and it worked great.

I've found doing it that way does suffer a *little* in quality, but it works in a pinch and is far from bad. I also watched the Super Bowl that way...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Since they changed AirPlay with iOS 8 I can rarely get it to work at all. It really sucks. It used to be so simple but now it either flat out doesn't work for me, or videos mysteriously load forever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

Since they changed AirPlay with iOS 8 I can rarely get it to work at all. It really sucks. It used to be so simple but now it either flat out doesn't work for me, or videos mysteriously load forever.

Weird it works for me fine on my iPhone and iPad, both up to date.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Weird it works for me fine on my iPhone and iPad, both up to date.
Anything that doesn't have the AirPlay button is what causes me problems, since everything is supposed to be done through the AirPlay button in the control centre where you choose mirroring or not. That seems busted to me, too, since if I turn mirroring off it never, ever works with video and only sends audio.

So any old apps that still have that button in their interface work fine, but when it falls back to the system stuff it almost always breaks :(

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
You might want to try a restore on your iPhone/Pad, AppleTV or both, because I use that all the time and don't have any problems unless it's an app that specifically prohibits using Airplay for Video.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Akuma posted:

Yeah I've been having problems with airplay as well. It was reworked in the background so it might be issued between your router and the iDevices. What helped a lot for me was enabling bluetooth. Now it works almost all of the time.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

LPG Giant posted:

Yeah I've been having problems with airplay as well. It was reworked in the background so it might be issued between your router and the iDevices. What helped a lot for me was enabling bluetooth. Now it works almost all of the time.
Interesting. I never have Bluetooth enabled, I'll try that! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
At Apple's event today, they cut the price of the Apple TV to $69 and announced Apple devices were the exclusive (for now) launch platform for HBO Now, the streaming-only (no cable subscription required) HBO subscription option.

No word on any other updates coming to the Apple TV itself but it'll need an update to enable HBO Now.

• Locked thread