Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
4e, it's important to remember, went through an initial "alpha" edition that they eventually scrapped completely. Tome of Battle was sort of a beta for that. Not a lot of that alpha survived to the actual 4e that was printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

4e, it's important to remember, went through an initial "alpha" edition that they eventually scrapped completely. Tome of Battle was sort of a beta for that. Not a lot of that alpha survived to the actual 4e that was printed.
They didn't just print a book that was an unmodified version of the tests? Weird, seems out of character.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, now compare that to the indie scene before.

Do we count d20 shovelware? Because a lot was small publisher. Or do we look at the gap after 3.5 came out?

And ToB wasn't so much a beta as scavenging all the usable parts when they went back to the drawing board.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KittyEmpress posted:

To be fair, Swordsages do come across pretty anime, though the other ones are silly to compare to anything anime. I could totally see an anime yelling poo poo like "Ruby Nightmare Blade!" or "Dancing Mongoose!"

But it's also awesome so who cares?

I'd say that's a product of making a class that pulls double duty as a magic+melee/monk rebuild. All the fancy names sound like things wizards or monks would scream out as they attack.

PresidentBeard posted:

Well also most people with that complaint flat out never read it. Similar to people who hated psionics for being "overpowered".

There were a ton of weak excuses for why people hated ToB. "It feels wrong in my tummy!", "All the classes are the same/are wizards!", "This is too much like something other, younger nerds like and I resent that!", "I never read it but I heard they were OP baby mode!"

The Crusader also played fast and loose with alignment and a code of honor, so you could be any alignment besides true neutral, and you could devote yourself to a cause, or ideology, or whatever if you didn't feel like being some god's murderhobo. That pissed off the type of neckbeards that see the Paladin's code of honor as a fun "gently caress YOU" button to press when the Paladin doesn't stab that orc baby on sight or introduces herself to a secretly-evil NPC because "Heh you have detect evil at will for a reason." :smaug:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 21, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PresidentBeard posted:

Well also most people with that complaint flat out never read it. Similar to people who hated psionics for being "overpowered".

In 2e particularly psionics had that reputation because when nobody has read the book, it's easy for cheating players to lie about what their characters are capable of. At least in the circles I gamed with, this was the case. In 3.X psionics were also a dip magnet, where charop types would take a level here and there and maybe a couple psionic feats and synergy would do the rest.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like the others have said, Tome of Battle gives melee characters martial maneuvers besides the standard combat ones. On a wider level, the three classes introduced are "fixes" for three troubled core classes from 3e: Warblade -> Fighter, Crusader -> Paladin, and Swordsage is an interesting variant of the Gish (melee/magic) type melee-class, though they provide the option to make the class into an unarmed fighter that's considered superior to the Monk in every way. The maneuvers do the same sort of thing the attacks of 4e classes do: provide bonuses to things, let you move in unusual ways, deal extra damage, etc. The big difference is there are also stances that provide a constant benefit to something, which didn't migrate over. Maneuvers are also a bit more similar to Vancian spellcasting in that you prepare and lose each maneuver, though you can regain them with a short rest or get one or two back with an action in combat.

This drew critics who saw it as "too anime" because I guess there weren't any Blizzard games out right then to draw a comparison to.

Thanks for all the answers. "Martial classes but with Vancian casted anime moves" sounds cool as hell.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for all the answers. "Martial classes but with Vancian casted anime moves" sounds cool as hell.

They are quite possibly the most fun you can have playing 3.x D&D....

if you're not playing a Factotum.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Nuns with Guns posted:

if you're not playing a Binder.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

3.x and Pathfinder have good games buried in them. Unfortunately if any of your classes or mechanics share names with something from AD&D you haven't found the good parts yet.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
One of the more interesting misconceptions re: d20 is the idea that it was good for the industry as a whole. I think the issue was that the d20 bubble managed to actually cannibalize itself. The overwhelming majority of all OGL product was garbage, and if there was a good product or two out there, I don't really think anyone ever even heard of them.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kemper Boyd posted:

One of the more interesting misconceptions re: d20 is the idea that it was good for the industry as a whole. I think the issue was that the d20 bubble managed to actually cannibalize itself. The overwhelming majority of all OGL product was garbage, and if there was a good product or two out there, I don't really think anyone ever even heard of them.

I think you're a little too biased, in that you're looking at the thing as irredeemable that no good has come out.

But a lot of those bad products got relatively forgotten, and the OGL helped a lot of small companies who made good product gain a foothold in the RPG industry.

For example, Green Ronin started off with D20, but over the years it expanded into other RPGs and got a respectable following.

Arcana Unearthed (Monte Cook's Diamond Throne setting) was novel at the time for getting rid of some 3.X sacred cows such as noncasters which were versatile to play.

The OGL gave us True20, which led to the creation of Tales of the Caliphate Nights (a very good treatment of mythic Arabia) and Blue Rose (the first RPG setting to feature homosexuality as a setting element out front and as a normal thing not to be condemned).

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition was a very good treatment of a superhero RPG.

And for settings, we got cool things like Midnight and Freeport.

All of the companies and products I listed are very well known and managed to rise to prominence in spite of the deluge of mediocrity.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 21, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't forget it also got us Spycraft, which I still maintain was fun times.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
It also gave us an updated version of Grimtooth series in the form of The Wurst of Grimtooth's Traps.

If we include Pathfinder and OSR games under the OGL, the we also got Scarlet Heroes, the first working D&Desque system meant to handle 1-on-1 games I've seen of its kind.

Ravenloft got a nice update and treatment by White Wolf. Not only did it reproduce a lot of setting material, the Gazetteer series really brought life to the world in the form of an in-character traveler's journal.

Also, Path of War and anything by Dreamscarred Press.

Ptolus is a very user friendly city-centric campaign setting. I remember writing up a FATAL & Friends for it last year, but sadly had to abandon the project. Some day I hope to return to it and show off its glory.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 21, 2014

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I am sort of biased, but a brief clarification here: it's obvious in hindsight that some things were actually good, I'm sort of a fan of Blue Rose myself. It was more of a problem dealing with the deluge of d20 product from third parties back in the 2000's when you had shelves full of shovelware with an occasional good game here and there. That had to affect the sales of those designers and companies who didn't do shovelware.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
While there were some good things to come from the OGL, the best of them did so by either skirting the rules as hard as they possible could and divorced themselves from D&D entirely, or came out like 6 years after the fact. The initial point of the OGL was to kill the market by creating a monopoly for d20 products that all lead back to D&D. This was couched in terms of ending the bubble cycle in the hobby. What it did instead was create probably the biggest bubble the hobby's seen - which then popped, and destroyed a lot of the market. So sorta what they wanted to do, but in all the worst ways. There's a reason the Forge talked about the "fantasy heartbreaker" during this time - this was the era of a plethora of products that boiled down to "one good idea, everything else is d20." While 3e reigned supreme, it did so by cannibalizing and hollowing out the rest of the hobby.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

There's a reason the Forge talked about the "fantasy heartbreaker" during this time - this was the era of a plethora of products that boiled down to "one good idea, everything else is d20." While 3e reigned supreme, it did so by cannibalizing and hollowing out the rest of the hobby.

That's slight revisionism - the Fantasy Heartbreaker was a term built around 2E heartbreakers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

neonchameleon posted:

That's slight revisionism - the Fantasy Heartbreaker was a term built around 2E heartbreakers.
Yeah, FHs were a 90s phenomenon (I blame the availability of cheap desktop publishing). FHs went into decline in the early 2000s, because now you could just publish your AD&D campaign notes as an real live D&D-compatible expansion product. It's one of the few areas where Dancey's prediction of D20/OGL sweeping away all the other RPGs in favor of D20 products actually came true.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I stand corrected!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The d20 bubble burst is probably the worst disaster in the gaming industry - I can't think of anything, historically, that even comes close. The fall of TSR is barely even a bump in comparison, though it was bad. In that, you can probably blame 3.5 for instigating it, though if D&D had been revised later, the damage may have been even worse. We did get some great products and great companies out of it, it's not all bad, but far more companies didn't survive, old or new, or were deeply diminished. It basically was a death knell to most game lines running beforehand, and then managed to kill off the majority of the game lines it spawned. Of course, having the economic downturn exacerbated the effect. After it slew much of the gaming lines in the industry, the economic force to build new ones took at least a few years to recover.

About the best thing you can say is that it shook up the industry to the point that it gave real impetus for the indie scene to grow and provide innovation that would have been glacial under older publishers, but it's really hard to say for certain.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

neonchameleon posted:

Do we count d20 shovelware? Because a lot was small publisher. Or do we look at the gap after 3.5 came out?

In addition to what others have said, the key difference between the d20 bubble and the present indie RPG scene is, as you yourself point out, the bulk of the d20 glut was shovelware. Quick and dirty sourcebooks hastily written to cash in on the d20 craze, many of which were, not to put too fine a point on it, utter dogshit. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the vast majority of d20 content published during that period was done so with the intent of snagging a quick buck or, more charitably, jumping on the bandwagon while it was hot...it wasn't just small publishers crapping out d20 content remember. There was d20 Traveller, d20 Deadlands, d20 BESM, a slew of d20 conversions that nobody asked for and nobody really wanted but everyone else was doing it so why not.

Obviously every game publisher wants to make some money, that'd be great, but there's a distinct and immediately apparent difference between something like Apocalypse World or Fate and the deluge of lovely d20 sourcebooks that came out back then. I can't imagine that whoever it was that was churning out all those lovely Avalanche Press pseudo-historical d20 sourcebooks with stripperiffic cover art went into that going "yes, this is the culmination of all my game design aspirations, my heart and soul is being poured into this."

That's not to say you can't and don't get shovelware today. Tremulus, that one Fate Cthulhu thing that Ettin likes to make fun of, any given Kickstarter project involving zombies, etc. But back then shovelware was the name of the game and even the aphorism about how 90% of everything is crap would be rather generous in describing the overall levels of quality and care that went into most such projects.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
No d20 no Witchfire Trilogy no Iron Kingdoms no Warmachine :colbert:

The d20 glut created an ecosystem where products from people who weren't well established seemed like something that could sell, which means they could stock a shelf. Maybe they edged what would have been other small-time publishers out, but I think it spread out the base, resulting in a multitude of quick cycling companies. I posit that it changed the ratio of developer:player by an order of magnitude. This order of magnitude change would have eventually been eclipsed by increasingly affordable distribution methods emerging (the internet, print-to-order), but it I think it contributed to the market being willing to accept alternative products and developers having worked through a generation of products. This new 'indie generation' (whatever the hell that actually means) might have taken a couple for years to take off if the market wasn't primed by that event.

Assuming my opinion is true (and I don't exactly provide a lot of evidence), it doesn't really address whether or not it was good for the industry. This is because 'good for the industry' isn't really being defined in a meaningful context.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

In addition to what others have said, the key difference between the d20 bubble and the present indie RPG scene is, as you yourself point out, the bulk of the d20 glut was shovelware. Quick and dirty sourcebooks hastily written to cash in on the d20 craze, many of which were, not to put too fine a point on it, utter dogshit. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the vast majority of d20 content published during that period was done so with the intent of snagging a quick buck or, more charitably, jumping on the bandwagon while it was hot...it wasn't just small publishers crapping out d20 content remember. There was d20 Traveller, d20 Deadlands, d20 BESM, a slew of d20 conversions that nobody asked for and nobody really wanted but everyone else was doing it so why not.

Oh, not disagreeing. And the biggest problem with the shovelware is not just that it was shovelware - but that it strangled the desktop published Indy games of the time. I know it wasn't what actually killed Eden Studios but it feels like a lot of the interesting work being done at the turn of the millennium imploded.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You could also blame Iron Kingdoms on the collapse of FASA for that matter - what if Matt Wilson's original minis line, VOR, had survived to this day? Would we have an RPG filled with neo-soviets and growlers at this point? There's a lot of things that probably led Matt Wilson to where he was for that, including d20. As for Tremulus , I wouldn't call it shovelware; it was just made early on for a World game and didn't have the best grasp of how to adapt it in retrospect, but I don't get the impression Sean Preston went into the project cynically by any stretch.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I guess it's kind of hard to sort 'shovelware' as quick cash-in low effort product from 'heartbreakerish' stuff that somebody really thought was a good idea and did badly. Though it's hard to really call anything *World truly shovelware, given the size of the audience.

FATE has attracted a bit more actual shoveling, since it has a higher profile and stuffing 'FATE Conversion' in as a stretch goal at least seems easy.

EM has found a prime example below.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 22, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mongoose was the king of the "shovelware" attitude in their early history; they deliberately shipped out books at times to beat out competing products, irregardless of their quality. Products like Creature Collection from White Wolf, shipped before the Monster Manual was even out, probably is also a good example. That's not to say that kind of rushed product is necessarily without merit - Creature Collection does have some cool monsters, but it also had numerous errors, balance issues, and low-quality art.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's one company that's put out a whole line of Fate shovelware. They basically take the OGL, staple 10 to 15 pages of half-assed setting onto it, then charges $15 for the drat thing.

This is the beginning of every one of their games. This is page 3, after page 1 being the cover and page 2 being the TOC/credits. This is from "Steampunk Powered By Fate" but every opening is pretty much this with the genre tags swapped out:

quote:

CHARACTER CREATION
Character creation is a good way to get to know a role-playing game. It teaches you about the rules and the setting before you actually start to play. It's also a good idea for the gamemaster to create a test character, before presenting the game to the players, just to get a feel for the process. When the gamemaster is confident that they know the ins and outs of character creation, a group of players can be gathered and the gaming can begin.

The moment you all sit down to create characters, you’re already playing Steampunk Powered by Fate. Character creation tells part of the characters’ stories, just like any other game session does. Characters that really come alive have histories, so character creation establishes where they’ve been, what they’ve done, and why they continue to act against the issues they face, together or in opposition.

Character creation is collaborative and is best done as a group activity. Doing all of this together builds a strong foundation of communication between the players and GM.

Character creation can take a full session to do—this allows everyone to learn about the world and each other’s characters. You and the other players will talk about your characters, make suggestions to each other, and establish some of the detail of the setting.

The Character Sheet
You’ll want to keep good notes on the character creation process. You can use the character sheet in the back of this book. The character creation process is broken into the following steps.

Name: Name your character.
Backstory: Decide on concept and troubles.
Aspects: Come up with your character’s aspects.
Skills: Pick and rate your skills.
Stunts: Pick, or invent, three to five stunts.
Refresh: Determine starting fate points.
Stress and Consequences: Determine how much of a beating your character can take.

Your Character Name
A source for character names that many players use is whatever novel they are reading at that moment, or whatever TV show or movie they're watching. You don't have to use TV character names directly, but can instead change and adapt them a bit.

It sometimes helps to find some meaning within the names, especially with surnames. Combining two names with a meaning can provide an interesting name, such as Darkraven, from dark and raven.

Sometimes players try to think of something that ‘sounds’ like it belongs to a steampunk setting. This tends to be names that have fallen out of fashion, such as Agnes or Sebastian. Sometimes the concept comes first and the character is then later named accordingly. Some players look for inspiration in mythology.

Whatever your ‘process’, naming a character is one of the most important steps in character creation. If all else fails, however, the Internet is full of name generators for sci-fi and fantasy characters that can
help.

Your Character Backstory
Once you have a name, you next design a concept for your character, and think about their troubles. These two things make up the character's backstory. This could also be modelled after a character from a favourite novel or movie, or could be based around some specific thing that you want to be able to do (like break boards with your head, explore Martian jungles, fix broken dirigibles, etc.).

Your concept will evolve as you decide on your character's language, sprawl of origin, previous career, etc.

Language
The languages spoken by the character are an good opportunity to add a little colour to the character sheet. Everyone, unless their background is very unusual will speak the language of the Empire where the game is set, or Martian for an off-world game.

Characters can speak an additional 1D3 languages if they desire. There is no need to choose your languages yet. Fill in your language slots as you play the game, and it becomes apparent which languages are important to your character.

I don't think I've ever seen a phrase that gets you into the designers' mindset better than "Combining two names with a meaning can provide an interesting name, such as Darkraven, from dark and raven."

They've got a dozen or so of these products, which isn't surprising since they probably took about half an hour each to write.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PresidentBeard posted:

3.x and Pathfinder have good games buried in them. Unfortunately if any of your classes or mechanics share names with something from AD&D you haven't found the good parts yet.

I was actually going through the D20 SRD and I found this little thing:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm posted:

Extraordinary Abilities (Ex)

Extraordinary abilities are nonmagical, though they may break the laws of physics. They are not something that just anyone can do or even learn to do without extensive training.

They've had a working justification for martial classes being capable of doing all sorts of caster-level stuff sitting there on the shelf for years! They just didn't want to use it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You could also blame Iron Kingdoms on the collapse of FASA for that matter - what if Matt Wilson's original minis line, VOR, had survived to this day? Would we have an RPG filled with neo-soviets and growlers at this point?

*Eyes Khador, eyes trolls* I'm not sure we -don't-, really.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's one company that's put out a whole line of Fate shovelware. They basically take the OGL, staple 10 to 15 pages of half-assed setting onto it, then charges $15 for the drat thing.

This is the beginning of every one of their games. This is page 3, after page 1 being the cover and page 2 being the TOC/credits. This is from "Steampunk Powered By Fate" but every opening is pretty much this with the genre tags swapped out:

I don't think I've ever seen a phrase that gets you into the designers' mindset better than "Combining two names with a meaning can provide an interesting name, such as Darkraven, from dark and raven."

They've got a dozen or so of these products, which isn't surprising since they probably took about half an hour each to write.

If Fate has an OGL, and Fate Accelerated is free, then how are they still in business? That all sounds very...generic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

They've had a working justification for martial classes being capable of doing all sorts of caster-level stuff sitting there on the shelf for years! They just didn't want to use it.
Here's some limp-wristed la-di-dah storygamer trying to argue that fighters in D&D have inherent magical power because they're the heroes of the story and so drat swole

quote:

The term saving throw is common enough, coming to us from miniature
wargames and D&D. It represents the chance for the figure concerned to
avoid (or at least partially avoid) the cruel results of fate. In AD&D it is the
same. By means of skill, luck, magical protections, quirks of fate and the
aid of supernatural powers, the character making his or her saving throw
takes none or only part of the indicated results - fireball damage, poison-
ing, being turned to stone, or whatever. The various saving throws are
shown on the appropriate tables -for characters, monsters, and items as
well. When someone or something fails to roll the number shown, or
better, whatever is coming comes in full. To better understand the concept
of the saving throw, the following is offered:
As has been often pointed out, AD&D is a game wherein participants
create personae and operate them in the milieu created and designed, in
whole or in part, by the Dungeon Master and shared by all, including the
DM, in imagination and enthusiasm. The central theme of this game is the
interaction of these personae, whether those of the players or those of the
DM, with the milieu, including that part represented by the characters and
creatures personified by the DM. This interaction results in adventures and
deeds of daring. The heroic fantasy which results is a blend of the dramatic
and the comic, the foolish and the brave, stirring excitement and grinding
boredom. It is a game in which the continuing epic is the most meaningful
portion. It becomes an entity in which at least some of the characters seem
to be able to survive for an indefinite time, and characters who have
shorter spans of existence are linked one to the other by blood or purpose.
These personae put up with the frustrations, the setbacks, and the
tragedies because they aim for and can reasonably expect to achieve
adventure, challenge, wealth, glory and more. If player characters are not
of the same stamp as Conan, they also appreciate that they are in effect
writing their own adventures and creating their own legends, not merely
reliving those of someone else's creation.
Yet because the player character is all-important, he or she must always--
or nearly always - have a chance, no matter how small, a chance of
somehow escaping what otherwise would be inevitable destruction. Many
will not be able to do so, but the escapes of those who do are what the
fabric of the game is created upon. These adventures become the twice-
told tales and legends of the campaign. The fame (or infamy) of certain
characters gives lustre to the campaign and enjoyment to player and DM
alike as the parts grow and are entwined to become a fantastic history of a
never-was world where all of us would wish to live if we could.
Someone once sharply criticized the concept of the saving throw as
ridiculous. Could a man chained to a rock, they asked, save himself from
the blast of a red dragon's breath? Why not?, I replied. If you accept fire-
breathing dragons, why doubt the chance to reduce the damage sustained
from such a creature's attack? Imagine that the figure, at the last moment,
of course, manages to drop beneath the licking flames, or finds a crevice
in which to shield his or her body, or succeeds in finding a way to be free
of the fetters. Why not? The mechanics of combat or the details of the
injury caused by some horrible weapon are not the key to heroic fantasy
and adventure games. It is the character, how he or she becomes involved
in the combat, how he or she somehow escapes ~ or fails to escape- the
mortal threat which is important to the enjoyment and longevity of the
game.

If some further rationale is needed to explain saving throws versus magic,
hece is one way of looking at it. Magical power is energy from another
plane channeled through this one by the use of certain prescribed
formulae. The magic obeys (or disobeys) he magic-user because he or
she controls ond constrains it by a combination of the formulae and will-
power. As magic-users advance in level, their willpower increases through
practice, and so does their control. Inherently magical creatures exercise
such control instinctively.
A character under magical attack is in a stress situation, and his or her own
will force reacts instinctively to protect the character by slightly altering the
effects of the magical assault. This protection takes a slightly different form
for each class of character. Magic-users understand spells, even on an un-
conscious level, and are able to slightly tamper with one so as to render it
ineffective. Fighters withstand them through sheer defiance, while clerics
create a small island of faith.
Thieves find they are able to avoid a spell's
full effects by quickness . . .
So a character manages to avoid the full blast of the fireball, or averts his
or her gaze from the basilisk or medusa, or the poisonous stinger of the
giant scorpion misses or fails somehow to inject its venom. Whatever the
rationale, the character is saved to go on. Of course, some saves result in
the death of the character aqyway, as partial damage causes him or her to
meet death. But at least the character had some hope, and he or she
fought until the very end. Stories will be told of it at the inn, and songs
sung of the battle when warriors gather around the campfire. Almost,
almost he managed to reach the bend in the passage where the fell breath
of the blue dragon Razisiz could not reach, but at the last moment his toe
struck a protrusion, and as he stumbled the dragon slew him! his or her
character check to determine if the fluid was harmed. Such
failure will not otherwise be notable without examination and testing.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Libertad! posted:

For example, Green Ronin started off with D20, but over the years it expanded into other RPGs and got a respectable following.

To be pedantic (the best kind of correct!), I'm pretty sure Green Ronin's first product was a supplement for Feng Shui, that Chris Pramas published himself because Daedalus was such a shitshow.

I haven't read my copies of Designers & Dragons yet, but I did flip through the indices for Daedalus, because gossip about just what the gently caress happened with that company is exactly the kind of stuff I'd expect to see in there. Sadly, it just gets a sidebar in the Atlas Games section, which is frankly all it really deserves in the scheme of things, but I have been curious about it for ages.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

If Fate has an OGL, and Fate Accelerated is free, then how are they still in business? That all sounds very...generic.

They were released about the same time the Fate Core KS ended, and people were grabbing everything with Fate on it. They're the very definition of cash-in-cash-grab products.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

*Eyes Khador, eyes trolls* I'm not sure we -don't-, really.

Fair enough, really.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Characters can speak an additional 1D3 languages if they desire.

Ah, yes, random determination of character traits, that's clearly what FATE is all about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Parkreiner posted:

To be pedantic (the best kind of correct!), I'm pretty sure Green Ronin's first product was a supplement for Feng Shui, that Chris Pramas published himself because Daedalus was such a shitshow.

It was that and a supplement for Whispering Vault. But d20 put them over the top because they had the first d20 adventure available at the GenCon where 3e was released. So people were buying the first new D&D in however long it was, then GR was there going "hey, you want to start playing right away? Here's a module with pregens!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Green Ronin was one of the better d20 supplement publishers. That's not to say their stuff is really good in a modern context, but was pretty solid when you compared it to most of the d20 output at the time - it was probably the closest you'd get to a low-budget version of WotC's releases outside of Malhavoc. There's a reason Freeport is one of the few settings that originated in d20 that's still being published to this day in various forms.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It was that and a supplement for Whispering Vault.

Oh, right. I'm pretty sure I have that, too!

Man, Whispering Vault. Great premise, but (like a lot of ambitious high-cosmic mid-late '90s games) I have a hard time going back to it without just wanting to play it in Nobilis instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Green Ronin was one of the better d20 supplement publishers. That's not to say their stuff is really good in a modern context, but was pretty solid when you compared it to most of the d20 output at the time - it was probably the closest you'd get to a low-budget version of WotC's releases outside of Malhavoc. There's a reason Freeport is one of the few settings that originated in d20 that's still being published to this day in various forms.

They were also smart enough to expand Freeport to other systems. They have a generic citybook that has all the needed fluff, then they have system-specific books for 4E, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and Fate that have detailed stats and new rules and such.

I still say Pirate's Guide to Freeport is one of the best citybooks out there. They understand that if you're going to list major locations or people, they need to be interesting and/or have cool hooks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Greenronin also got a fairly big boost from having the SoIaF license when the Game of Thrones show became a big cultural phenomena.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reminder that when 4e was released, the wizard was slightly unfinished because, during development, some people in the dev team kept buffing them to be intentionally more powerful then every other class, so they had to revise the wizard constantly to fight against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Parkreiner posted:

Sadly, it just gets a sidebar in the Atlas Games section, which is frankly all it really deserves in the scheme of things, but I have been curious about it for ages.
It was a one-man show, and that one man showed that enthusiasm for gaming and sound business sense are wholly non-correlated. Daedalus's implosion left a ton of unpaid bills, and a lot of people would like to get a piece of him if he even pokes his head up again.

"Nerds with no business sense, sometimes shading towards scam artistry" is a sadly recurring theme in RPG history.

• Locked thread