Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
One of Demi-Fiend's summoned demons will heal him back to full health when he falls below 50%, but it'll only ever happen once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Wolfenstein New Order, another great thing was that they actually used native german speakers for pretty much all the Nazi's dialogue and signage. Hearing some death camp guards deliver a pitch-perfect "Komm, gehn ma saufen." ("Come on, let's get wasted.") in a heavy dialect was hilarious.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

One of Demi-Fiend's summoned demons will heal him back to full health when he falls below 50%, but it'll only ever happen once.

Actually his demons also have an internal counter to counts down from 30 turns, once it hits 0, ANY demon can sacrifice himself via recamdra and heal him to full again, you need to plan his full heal along with this and then try to burn him down.

Demi-Fiend is basically Atlus.txt in regards to how they handled superbosses for awhile, the RNG is rampant and you need a calculator and several charts to try to guess what he's going to hit you with and even with all the preparation in the world you'll probably still lose till the RNG decides to favor you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hel posted:

Actually the collactables do change, one timeline upgrades your Hp , the other your armor.

Oh holy poo poo no way. That's really cool.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

David Copperfield posted:

I remember some of the older Harry Potter playstation (PS2?) games were like that? I have no idea if they were good or not, I just knew one of my friends had it.

I remember that Harry Potter game being pretty good at the time but I have no idea how well they'd hold up to a replay these days (probably not very well).

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

All the justification I needed. Thanks! :tipshat:

Cast from HP attacks are actually a really smart design decision that's one of my favorite parts of the SMT games. All physical attacks in most recent SMT games are cast from HP. It makes it so that, even when MP is depleted, you still have useful tools to approach random encounters with, and don't just have to use your weak default attacks and wear down enemies slowly.

It's also a neat balancing mechanism that makes physical and magical character builds both viable. Physical attacks can critical, which does double damage but also gives an extra turn. Magic skills only give extra turns if they hit a weakness, but they can be made super-strong via passive boost skills (which don't have physical equivalents) and they will do absurd amounts of damage when they do hit a weakness. Using a strong phys skill puts you at risk if you don't wipe the enemy out with it, since it cuts a huge chunk out of your HP (some phys skills in Digital Devil Saga 2 have a cost of 45% HP), but if it is successful it's devastating. Also, if you're dealing with tough enemies, you might get your health down so low that you can't use your stronger phys skills, so building a team of just physical attackers puts you at an obvious disadvantage.

It seems like a dumb mechanic but it's really well thought-out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Cast from HP attacks are actually a really smart design decision that's one of my favorite parts of the SMT games. All physical attacks in most recent SMT games are cast from HP. It makes it so that, even when MP is depleted, you still have useful tools to approach random encounters with, and don't just have to use your weak default attacks and wear down enemies slowly.

I was sorta annoyed when SMT4 didn't do the HP for phys skills thing. I also sorta wish early game phys skills didn't suck so hard, especially when you're at a point in the game where your healing skills are single target and also don't heal for that much and the risk isn't even worth it since the damage is barely more than your regular attack.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

In Bayonetta, the worlds are seperated into layers. There's the human world, Paradiso, and Inferno. Between the human world and the other two is Purgatorio - an inbetween state where Bayonetta fights enemies. In Purgatorio, all the human NPCs are transparent figures who have no idea what's going on. Similarly, angels (the game's bad guys) cannot be seen in the human world. Even Bayonetta must do some fancy witch magic to traverse these layers.

You know what doesn't have to?

Cats.

Cats just wander round being ever-present in all worlds and not giving a single gently caress. Total cat behaviour. They know what's going on and they do not care.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
So any time a cat freaks out and goes tear-assing around the house, they're running from an angel fight in an alternate dimension? That makes sense now.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Yup. It also covers them sitting stock still and staring in fascination at absolutely loving nothng. For ages.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

Yup. It also covers them sitting stock still and staring in fascination at absolutely loving nothng. For ages.

"Holy poo poo that combo. Meow."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

I can't loving stop laughing.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Flint_Paper posted:

In Bayonetta, the worlds are seperated into layers. There's the human world, Paradiso, and Inferno. Between the human world and the other two is Purgatorio - an inbetween state where Bayonetta fights enemies. In Purgatorio, all the human NPCs are transparent figures who have no idea what's going on. Similarly, angels (the game's bad guys) cannot be seen in the human world. Even Bayonetta must do some fancy witch magic to traverse these layers.

Cats.

Cats just wander round being ever-present in all worlds and not giving a single gently caress. Total cat behaviour. They know what's going on and they do not care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLsCEdGv3g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK9wsdJGPZQ&t=43s

Platinum has a thing for cats.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

It's also a neat balancing mechanism that makes physical and magical character builds both viable. Physical attacks can critical, which does double damage but also gives an extra turn. Magic skills only give extra turns if they hit a weakness, but they can be made super-strong via passive boost skills (which don't have physical equivalents) and they will do absurd amounts of damage when they do hit a weakness. Using a strong phys skill puts you at risk if you don't wipe the enemy out with it, since it cuts a huge chunk out of your HP (some phys skills in Digital Devil Saga 2 have a cost of 45% HP), but if it is successful it's devastating. Also, if you're dealing with tough enemies, you might get your health down so low that you can't use your stronger phys skills, so building a team of just physical attackers puts you at an obvious disadvantage.

It seems like a dumb mechanic but it's really well thought-out.

That kind of reminds me of something: In Star Ocean 3 (it's been a while since I played the PSP remakes of 1 & 2 so I don't know about them), not only would characters die if they ran out of HP, they'd also die if they ran out of MP, so it's like having two life bars.

In other news, I bought Metal Gear Rising from the Steam Christmas sale a few days ago and in 5 minutes I was hacking a Metal Gear Ray and some couches to bits.

PYF little things in games: Metal Gear mutilation is loving AMAZING. :hellyeah:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That kind of reminds me of something: In Star Ocean 3 (it's been a while since I played the PSP remakes of 1 & 2 so I don't know about them), not only would characters die if they ran out of HP, they'd also die if they ran out of MP, so it's like having two life bars.

In other news, I bought Metal Gear Rising from the Steam Christmas sale a few days ago and in 5 minutes I was hacking a Metal Gear Ray and some couches to bits.

PYF little things in games: Metal Gear mutilation is loving AMAZING. :hellyeah:

My boss has been watching me play it on the shop laptop and was making fun of me for stopping in every level to hack everything I could find to bits. So I handed the controller to him and told him to give it a try and he started squealing like a little girl as he cut everything in sight to ribbons. It's just so satisfying.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

My boss has been watching me play it on the shop laptop and was making fun of me for stopping in every level to hack everything I could find to bits. So I handed the controller to him and told him to give it a try and he started squealing like a little girl as he cut everything in sight to ribbons. It's just so satisfying.

It takes about an entire playthrough's worth of BP to fully unlock and it makes the game boring to play, but if you buy the Grey Fox sword and upgrade its special ability it automatically ignores defense and just slices enemies apart with regular attacks. It's pretty satisfying to just sprint around mashing X and dismembering every bad guy in your way.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It takes about an entire playthrough's worth of BP to fully unlock and it makes the game boring to play, but if you buy the Grey Fox sword and upgrade its special ability it automatically ignores defense and just slices enemies apart with regular attacks. It's pretty satisfying to just sprint around mashing X and dismembering every bad guy in your way.

It's the game I wanted to play since I first saw Grey Fox's rampage through the Shadow Moses hallway back in MGS1.

Something else fun is that if you cut off all the limbs of a normal enemy, they just flop around on the ground yelling insults at you before despawning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Don Gato posted:

Something else fun is that if you cut off all the limbs of a normal enemy, they just flop around on the ground yelling insults at you before despawning.

Something even more fun is that the game will actually register that as a nonlethal takedown rather than a kill and the stats will acknowledge that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

haveblue posted:

Something even more fun is that the game will actually register that as a nonlethal takedown rather than a kill and the stats will acknowledge that.

And further still, you get a bonus for completing a fight with zero lethal kills. There's a few spots where you can get it "naturally" due to a fight being nothing but unmanned machines, but otherwise you gotta work for it or just use High Frequency Wooden Sword :3:.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

Non-lethal wipeouts are consequently a great method of pumping up your score during certain fights to get that S rank. Sometimes they're practically necessary, especially in harder difficulties.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Flint_Paper posted:

Cats.

Physical stuff also stays in both dimensions. Early on in the first game, Bayonetta triggers a metal detector and locks down a train station despite being in Purgatorio. The ghosts will also freak out whenever you destroy stuff, since to them, a bench/potted plant/whatever just spontaneously exploded.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for Christmas from one of my brothers. It's close to identical with Borderlands 2 but it has some small things I really appreciate. Your character actually speaks in this game and responds when people talk to them. Also the NPC dialogue is different sometimes depending on which character you're playing as. It's something very small but adds a lot to the game.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Handsome Jack's rampant narcissism occasionally manifesting as awkward flirting with his body double is pretty good. Poor bastard. :v:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I don't know about the preceding games, but in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the enemies, because they're all robots, explode on death if you beat them with anything but a standard combo, pretty much. This can cause chain reactions, so even beyond the normal DW style one attack, ten kills deal you can get massive killstreaks off single attacks. As in 100+ kills from one combo in the right conditions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

I don't know about the preceding games, but in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the enemies, because they're all robots, explode on death if you beat them with anything but a standard combo, pretty much. This can cause chain reactions, so even beyond the normal DW style one attack, ten kills deal you can get massive killstreaks off single attacks. As in 100+ kills from one combo in the right conditions.

This is especially true when you capture a field and all of them enter that shut down phase where a single bullet or attack will take them out.

Now if only they could make one where you don't have to grind all the skills for every single character. :sigh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wanted MGR: Revengeance for a good while, finally got it in the sales, just like that other guy a few posts ago.

Obviously the game is loving brilliant, everything is :magical:, but what I really loved when I realized was that you can often chop poo poo off dudes before you can actually kill them, which changes what moves they can use and often makes things easier for you. I also love that, on normal at least, blocking attacks was reasonably forgiving too. It makes you feel like a fuckin' badass when someone throws a whole big combo at you and you parry everything before wrecking their poo poo. The way the music ramps up during boss fights as things get more intense.

Only thing I can think of to criticize is that I can't combine a different armor coloration with the Mariachi outfit, and that Raiden always has his default look in cutscenes.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Mister Adequate posted:

Wanted MGR: Revengeance for a good while, finally got it in the sales, just like that other guy a few posts ago.

Obviously the game is loving brilliant, everything is :magical:, but what I really loved when I realized was that you can often chop poo poo off dudes before you can actually kill them, which changes what moves they can use and often makes things easier for you. I also love that, on normal at least, blocking attacks was reasonably forgiving too. It makes you feel like a fuckin' badass when someone throws a whole big combo at you and you parry everything before wrecking their poo poo. The way the music ramps up during boss fights as things get more intense.

Only thing I can think of to criticize is that I can't combine a different armor coloration with the Mariachi outfit, and that Raiden always has his default look in cutscenes.

Try chopping of peoples leg and walk away -> no kill run

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Or use the wooden sword.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, unfortunately 90% of the cutscenes are prerendered (they're why the download is so huge) so stuff like that won't show up.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I just started playing MGS2 and, holy crap, I now have a whole new respect for Raiden in MGR:R -- he's come along way from his origin as "like Solid Snake, only more annoying." However, I'm annoyed to see that his lisp does not come from having no lower lip == he's always had it.

Still, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the bestest game ever.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never really noticed Raiden having a lisp, myself. :shrug:

-EDIT-

I've never understood why people thought he was whiny or annoying in MGS2, either. All that came from the other people who rambled incessantly to him in codecs. Compared to everyone else Raiden doesn't say much besides generic player character questions outside of a few Rose calls. That I remember, anyway.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Dec 29, 2014

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Did you say... "Nerd"?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

COLONEL, WE MANAGED TO AVOID DROWNING!

Who What Now posted:

I've never really noticed Raiden having a lisp, myself. :shrug:

Quinton Flynn has a pretty noticeable lisp in all of his performances, not just when playing Raiden.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Raiden's Japanese voice is really deep too, which probably made the deception at the start of the Plant chapter more convincing. I wouldn't have his voice any other way in Revengeance, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That loving Sned posted:

I wouldn't have his voice any other way in Revengeance, though.

LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME FOR JACK TO LET 'ER RIP

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alouicious posted:

COLONEL, WE MANAGED TO AVOID DROWNING!

Quinton Flynn has a pretty noticeable lisp in all of his performances, not just when playing Raiden.

I guess he holds his 'S's a little long? Idk, I still don't hear it. But my hearing is pretty bad so I don't doubt he does have a lisp.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I don't mean lisp as in "Thufferin' thuccotash, Colonel!," I meant it as in some lines sound like he says them while trying to swallow a drink of water. I love his work, I really do, but there's no denying the guy has a noticeable speech impediment. But it's nice, it adds character to his performance. I also like how whiny Raiden sounds sometimes -- it sets him apart from other "hero" characters. His "Jack the Ripper" voice is good too, Quinton does a great job of sounding unhinged and Over This poo poo.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't mean lisp as in "Thufferin' thuccotash, Colonel!," I meant it as in some lines sound like he says them while trying to swallow a drink of water. I love his work, I really do, but there's no denying the guy has a noticeable speech impediment. But it's nice, it adds character to his performance. I also like how whiny Raiden sounds sometimes -- it sets him apart from other "hero" characters. His "Jack the Ripper" voice is good too, Quinton does a great job of sounding unhinged and Over This poo poo.

If I personally had an issue with MGR:R it's the whole thing with Jack the Ripper being an alter ego/devil trigger/whatever. I thought the thing with him being Jack the Ripper worked better just with him being that much of an efficient killer, not a switch he can basically turn on and off.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Not sure if anything in-game supports this theory, but I always thought of Ripper Mode as him activating his pain receptors.

Also, another thing I like about MGR:R is Raiden's laugh when you go into Ripper mode. He sounds so happy! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I think they missed out on something in MGR with the whole Jack The Ripper thing: if they had kept the white blood from MGS4 for the whole game but turned it red when ripper mode was active, that would have been awesome.