Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I do too but without the interview part and with crippling self loathing and a low self esteem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm planning on doing this with noted terrible company uber soon just so that they'll leave me alone. i'm trying to decide what my notch sellout figure is.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm planning on doing this with noted terrible company uber soon just so that they'll leave me alone. i'm trying to decide what my notch sellout figure is.

Make them pay u in cash lmfao

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ask if they'll destroy your enemies

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

make sure you ask for 7 5k hoodie/jeans/t-shirt combo's so you can be styling every day of the week.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

enjoy your 1099

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

hell for startups just say they ran out of runway

when i was doing my search for current job and people asked me why i left last one, i just said they did a pivot and i wasn't excited about the new direction which is technically true but not at all any of the reasons i left

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

PokeJoe posted:

enjoy your 1099

the sharing economy in a nutshell

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

pointers posted:

reading about interviewing for tech jobs (http://lizmrush.com/on-interviewing/ thanks to tef's blog for the link) and wondering how the gently caress you would address something like 'i left this position because my manager hit on me' or 'i left this position because it was near impossible to be productive when my only coworker didnt take me seriously as a woman'
not that i really want to go back into computers but lol how do you even address that without raising "red flags" for being 'over-sensitive' or something like that

thanks for this post and for tef's web zone

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

FamDav posted:

it would've been funnier if you had said "managed the devs" because that would've been really small world right there.

yeah she does and it's probably 80% odds she is who you are thinking of, knowing how many women managers amazon has.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

when i was doing my search for current job and people asked me why i left last one, i just said they did a pivot and i wasn't excited about the new direction which is technically true but not at all any of the reasons i left

still too negative

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i am a rocket ship and cannot be stopped so i left for more money

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i loved it there god bless them but i felt like i needed a new challenge to keep growing as a person you know

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
sup `treps gonna drop a wisdom bomb up in here

Attention Wantpreneurs: Here’s the ONE thing you are missing (And it’s not a fundraising round)
20 PandoDaily by Greg Muender, Guest Contributor / 8h // keep unread // hide // preview
handsgif

In the last five years, entrepreneurship has seen an unprecedented surge in popularity. Where it was once thought of as a profession for just a small (crazy) subset of the population, people are leaving traditional jobs in droves to pursue their own story.

Tim & I launched Whttl in October to be the Kayak.com equivalent for cool startup services in a given city. Many prospective ‘treps have reached out to us since the company’s inception to ask questions about starting and running a business. While they may range from practical questions like the proper legal way to structure an entity, they also get a bit more personal, like how to manage the stress than can come with the territory.

But there is always one question that we like to direct back towards these folks:

“What’s holding you back from starting today?”

The answers are all across the board. People may respond with “I don’t have the financial security”, or “I don’t know where to begin”, or “I don’t know enough about the industry.”

I’m going to make a bold statement here, one that both Tim and I can agree on. Nearly all excuses or seemingly genuine reasons to not start a company can boil down to one simple element.

You need a cofounder. Scratch that, you need a cofounder with a complimentary skill set.

Let’s be real. Starting a business is really, really challenging. While it can be done with one person, it shouldn’t be. As startup guru Paul Graham states in one of his essays, “Starting a startup is too hard for one person.” (See Mistake #1.)

Two cofounders don’t get twice as much done as one. There is a fascinating phenomenon when you throw a duo after the same problem. They get ten times done what a solo founder could on his or her own. They solve seemingly impossible problems. They figure out creative solutions. They don’t let setbacks like a lack of funds, unimpressive traction, or product failures stop them in their tracks. They hold each other accountable to keep pressing forward. They push each other to a level that self discipline alone won’t achieve.

When I built my first startup, I was the only founder. Looking back, I know I could have built the company 10X larger if I had someone else there as an equal partner on the ride with me.

So, I made the decision that I would never build a company solo again.

You’re probably thinking right now, “OK, cool beans Greg. Thanks for the advice. But this sounds easier said than done. Now how do I actually implement that?”

Get the heck out there and shake hands. Mingle. Meet people.

It took me two years of meeting people to finally sync up with Tim. When I moved to San Francisco, I attended more than 180 events over the span of just one year. Looking at the stack of business cards on my desk right now, I imagine I met well over five hundred people.

As I’ve previously written about, finding a cofounder is like finding a spouse. You can’t assume that the first hottie you’ll meet at the bar will walk down the aisle with you, so it’s a fallacy to think that the first person you meet at a startup event is going to found a company with you. It’s a numbers game. Get your top line as large as possible, and you’ll have more of a selection the further down the funnel you work.

Here are seven ways to find your cofounder:

Meetup

In a tech city like San Francisco, there are at least a hundred solid Meetup groups that are related to startups, tech, and business. I joined around 75 of them. I integrated all of their event schedules with my calendar, so every day I had at least a few events cued up to pick from. I commmitted to going to an event three to four days a week, even if I was tired or unmotivated to do so. Once you start attending the events you’ll create a chain reaction of referrals and recommendations that leads you to other events and social circles.

1*_aKdyHaQ5Isj44xahWDwjg

Quite the number of events to choose from!

Startup Hubs

In cities all across the world, there is usually a dominant hub of startup activity. An organization, incubator, or just a fantastic coffee shop often becomes the central point of startup life. In San Diego, where I am currently writing this, EvoNexus holds this title. Do some research and find your local hub.

Your Personal Passions

What interests you? What do you do outside of work? For Tim & I, we are both massive petrol heads (aka car dudes). When Parisoma hosted a “connected car” event, neither of us could pass that up. Interestingly, our fascination with all things cars ended up placing us in touch. Finding someone with similar interests is a good way to form a strong relationship that isn’t built exclusively on work related tasks.

Leverage Your School

Branko Cerny, founder of Immediately, was introduced to his cofounder by reaching out to his alma mater. They connected him with a promising undergrad, the two met a few times, and quickly came to the conclusion that they could certainly go into business together.

FounderDating

Just when you thought all hope was lost, FounderDating.com comes along. No, this is not a dating site for founders to meet one another, despite the name. It’s a place to meet your next cofounder. They host events that bring people together, lead thought discussions online, and even connect people via intelligent matching and recommendation.

Look Inward

If you already work at a company, who do you currently work well with? Is their anyone is a different department that has collaborated with you on a project? Looking to your fellow colleagues is particularly revealing because you can see how the person works, which is hard to do elsewhere. You’ll have insight to see if their productivity style mixes well with yours, and vice versa.

Be Open

An idea alone isn’t worth much, it is the execution that matters. There is a legacy paradigm that some entrepreneurs adopt, where they keep their ideas shrouded in secrecy to prevent plagiarism. These are they types of folks that ask you to sign an NDA to talk about what they are working on. Tim and I are advocates that talking openly and candidly about your startup opens more doors than it closes. Whether you are vocal online, or at random cocktail parties, be open about what you find interesting and have been thinking about. Encourage others to do the same. Before you know it, you may find someone else who is interested in a similar opportunity. You never know what really drives people and what crazy ideas they may have. Be open minded to all of them.

I won’t sugarcoat it. It’s challenging to find the right cofounder.

You need to get along. You need to have complimentary skill sets with minimal overlap. You need to share the same vision. You need to have similar values, goals, and expectations. In addition, you need to both be at a place in your career that you can focus nearly 100% of your attention on the startup and forego income for a bit.

There are a lot of moving parts. To find the right cofounder, you may have to meet a hundred people. Maybe more.

With all this said, it’s a lot easier than going at it alone.

As a recommended next step, I suggest that you focus on getting someone else interested in working with you. You may not have your idea crystalized, nor your product build under way. Heck, Tim & I went through at least a dozen iterations before pulling the trigger on Whttl. (Check our Whttl company blog for an upcoming post about that particular process.) It’s most important to get people working on something, anything, together. Once you have that, you’ll figure out what to do.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Uh, so Whttl doesn't have anything to do with whittling? Wtf

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

yeah she does and it's probably 80% odds she is who you are thinking of, knowing how many women managers amazon has.

i know the other manager very well, as her husband does not work at google.

hopefully things slow down though; i saw the workload via the ios guys on search.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 22, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Syncopated posted:

Uh, so Whttl doesn't have anything to do with whittling? Wtf

#WinAtLife Find the coolest startups before your friends do

probably some kind of weird acronym

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yospos safety update: I took an uber to the train station at 5am and the driver was kind enough to use lube

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Look Inward

If you already work at a company, who do you currently work well with? Is their anyone is a different department that has collaborated with you on a project? Looking to your fellow colleagues is particularly revealing because you can see how the person works, which is hard to do elsewhere. You’ll have insight to see if their productivity style mixes well with yours, and vice versa.
"And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the money has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a swedish voip app has holiday wishes

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
history's greatest monsters

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

...You need a cofounder. Scratch that, you need a cofounder with a complimentary skill set....

I'm the complimentary skillset. I come with the after dinner mint at the whttllrr meet-n-greet.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh no now someone has to update http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I'm the guy in the shirt with communist symbols on it at a hyper-capitalistic tech event in america

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

I'm the guy in the shirt with communist symbols on it at a hyper-capitalistic tech event in america

Judging by the Spanish it's probably not in the US, likely Mexico

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

no, because i guarantee that they weren't scanning the qr code

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

Judging by the Spanish it's probably not in the US, likely Mexico

we're on the cutting edge of new ways to denigrate women.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

0/5 repost

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hey man poast em if you got em

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yospos safety update: I took an uber to the train station at 5am and the driver was kind enough to use lube

i can walk to the train station.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

PokeJoe posted:

i can walk to the train station.

so can esatan thanks to the lube

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
yeah but esatan's walking all funny

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

300k is pretty deep into the "gently caress you" zone but not so deep as to be completely out of the question if they want you bad enough

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
take as much of andreesens money as you can imo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

rotor posted:

take as much of andreesens money as you can imo

This is the right answer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

300k is pretty deep into the "gently caress you" zone but not so deep as to be completely out of the question if they want you bad enough

"I'm thinking a number that starts with '3'"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"I'm thinking a number that starts with '3'"

"if it has two commas we are on the same page"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sniep posted:

"if it has two commas we are on the same page"

"you know, it's funny how employers have stopped getting free press for offering engineers six-figure starting salaries..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
So that cofounder thing is good advice overall even if some parts of it are obnoxious, but they confused there and their in a professional article so they should never be listened to ever.

• Locked thread