Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

you have weird taste in ice cream/froyo toppings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

What would the people you're trying to do a Talented Mr. Ripley on have to say about this

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Did someone say meatpile?

hell yeah imma eat some lobster a minimum 12 hour drive from the nearest possible source

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Live lobsters ship very well. We do a lot of business in fresh seafood and it only spoils... sometimes.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Dr. Faustus posted:

Live lobsters ship very well. We do a lot of business in fresh seafood and it only spoils... sometimes.

I want to see some chicago sushi pics

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
like isn't chicago famous for having like amazing steakhouse density?

why would you be showing us seafood and mexican?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

aren't the stockyards all gone now

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

s-stuffed...jalapeños???

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

this is all a display of pissant wealth, but paying out the nose for non-locally sourced food is scrub tier mid-20th century horseshit in this age of farm-to-table destination dining

of course we're talking about chicago, where the only farms in a 500 mile radius are monsanto/syngenta/bayer feedlot corn

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

s-stuffed...jalapeños???

yes they are good

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

scrub tier mid-20th century horseshit

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yes they are good

as someone living in texas i have of course never heard of them, and furthermore i am very impressed by lovely dipping sauces in martini glasses served with far too few chips.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Badger of Basra posted:

as someone living in texas i have of course never heard of them, and furthermore i am very impressed by lovely dipping sauces in martini glasses served with far too few chips.

those are probably the entree, not dipping sauces

i bet that's $15 ceviche

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

fried jalapenos stuffed with cheese is as texan as warmongering presidents

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

those are probably the entree, not dipping sauces

i bet that's $15 ceviche

regardless, not enough chips.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
All restaurant meals are inferior to home cooked meals anyway.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

All restaurant meals are inferior to home cooked meals anyway.

not all of us have personal chefs, ok? god, what a snob

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

are you kidding me

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
peanut better deuce, monsieur?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

My Imaginary GF posted:

"So yeah, after all that Metamucil it was a pretty profound bowel movement, and it got me to thinking..."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

you can't make a turd edible by slapping fudge on it

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im gonna lay it all out and say that migf is the best gimmick account since tolberonetriangular

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Zeitgueist posted:

Chicago, known for it's mexican food...

chicago has one of the largest concentrations of mexicans in the country

edit: wow my phone did not properly update the thread

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

paranoid randroid posted:

im gonna lay it all out and say that migf is the best gimmick account since tolberonetriangular

Yeah I'm leaning that way myself, and I habitually assume every dumbass who posts here is doing so in earnest

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TT was hilariously, believably insane. MIGF just comes off as insecure about his schtick, he's an empty can rattlin'.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Berke Negri posted:

as a LA citizen I'm required to condescendingly poo poo on any Mexican food that isn't from a border state or literally Mexico

I actually didn't know that and have never eaten Mexican in Chicago

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Berke Negri posted:

Oh yeah, I meant to say something about it, but forgot. It's not like it's Southern California or Texas, but there is an appreciable Mexican community, one that's a bit older in character than the rest of the country and was the result of Mexican Americans following the usual 1940's migration patterns that led a lot of people from around the country to Chicago plus the addition of new immigrants over the years. Not quite a case of "Midwest Mexican food lol".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Oh yeah, I meant to say something about it, but forgot. It's not like it's Southern California or Texas, but there is an appreciable Mexican community, one that's a bit older in character than the rest of the country and was the result of Mexican Americans following the usual 1940's migration patterns that led a lot of people from around the country to Chicago plus the addition of new immigrants over the years. Not quite a case of "Midwest Mexican food lol".

Yeah, I just glance past anyone who says "Midwest Mexican food lol" about Chicago. We got some fine rear end Mexican food, and one helluva large and vibrant Latino community with a strong and efficacious history.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

you can't make a turd edible by slapping fudge on it

How do you explain Starbucks?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

man speaking of food one of my best friends from high school was telling me how during winter break sophomore year his family went to colorado, and ate at a chinese restaurant there

it was run by white guys asking them "ni hao! ni yao chow fun?" in a really bad american accent and after they didn't get it a few times he asked "hey you want fried rice?"

and then they saw him cooking it. he took some steamed rice, put it with a caesar salad, put in the dressing, and tossed it a bit. they all threw up in their mouths a bit.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
guys have you ever tried caldo verde you should

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

and then they saw him cooking it. he took some steamed rice, put it with a caesar salad, put in the dressing, and tossed it a bit. they all threw up in their mouths a bit.

:staredog:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zeitgueist posted:

On topic: There is a food addiction thread.

Is it safe to assume that within the first page it's already filled with goons trying to justify hateful punching downward at fat people

The opinions seem to vary, but there is very little there that is about "oh, those fat people are just lazy fucks". It's actually interesting reading so far. I don't think I'm currently fat, but it's interesting to see what in my behavior/diet makes that the case. Probably helped that my therapist in 7th Grade told me to exercise to feel better, and it worked. I think there might be a bad dynamic in American schools where if you're not on a sports team, nobody will encourage you to just exercise for the hell of it.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

when i was in istanbul they had "ottoman restaurants" that charged like 60 bucks per dish

it's a real shame i'm not as rich as a sultan but that kinda seemed like a tourist trap anyway!

If you go to Istanbul and eat anything but street food/fish from a restaurant next to a fishmonger's from which you can buy the fish they will make you, you are a sucker's sucker.

Sharkie posted:

I get my tamales from a recently immigrated Mexican friend of the family. She always makes a lot but her kids don't like them so I get a bunch for free. I don't know if any food posted in this thread is supposed to be tamales, but they look nothing like what I got.

Also a Salvadoran place just opened up so I have recently learned the joys of pupusas and that yummy fermented cabbage they serve them with.

Next time take pictures and post them (and respect tables unlike MIGF).

Captain_Maclaine posted:

TT was hilariously, believably insane. MIGF just comes off as insecure about his schtick, he's an empty can rattlin'.

Or, in Aramaic: איסתרא בלגינא קיש קיש קריא

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Who's ready for 2015 at Next?

quote:

January – May

Next: Bistro

4 Years after opening with our Paris 1906 menu we embrace the more casual side of Parisian dining culture. With the great flood of 1910 behind them, Parisians embraced the Bistro. In 2015, Next will as well.

Every week we will introduce new items on our evolving 5-7 course chalkboard menu — we will also have specials and supplements on a daily basis.

Casual, delicious, and filling for the cold Chicago winter. And the kind of menu you’ll want to revisit every few weeks.

$80-$120 per person.
Please note: optional supplements of $ 15 – $ 75 will be available to order in the dining room.

——

May – Sept

Next: Tapas

A simple and raucous flow of a few dozen bites descends on your table satisfying the savory, salty, bitter and sweet. The order of the courses matters less than the enjoyment. Weather permitting we will utilize the sidewalk space to start your experience. Make new friends, visit the kitchen, maybe even dance (?!).

Small bites in Spain of Tapas or Pintxos are in many ways the predecessor of the long, modernist tasting menus of today. We present both traditional and modern takes on Spanish cuisine from North to South.

$70-$110 per person.

——

September – December

Next: Terroir

This wine focused menu pairs wines from the Northern Hemisphere’s greatest viticultural traditions with classic dishes from the same Terroirs. Burgundy, Alsace, Bordeaux, Chianti, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, California, Washington State… the juxtaposition of New World and Old World wines with dishes from the precise area where the grapes are grown and vinified allows for an incredible, delicious, and educational progression around the world of food and wine pairings.

Approximately 15 courses complementing 10+ vintage wines and a few surprises.

$295-355 per person, inclusive of all wine and food.

Please note: non-alcoholic, non-wine pairings are not available for this menu

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 23, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Am... am I doing it right?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 23, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Only because Pex wasn't a gimmick.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
No.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

Only because Pex wasn't a gimmick.

sometimes i wake from deep sleep and in the moment of disorientation between dreams and reality i find myself muttering "paradol ex was right"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Protip: Lightly roast some poblanos in the oven then stuff them like you would a bell pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I used to know Mormon kids who would pour ranch dressing on peanuts and eat them with a fork.

• Locked thread