Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brony Hunter posted:

They still would have gotten stomped by Nappa :v: AFAIK in the manga the Saiyans specifically sought to eliminate Piccolo as he had the highest Power Level on the planet.

I reckon Evil Kid Gohan could've taken Nappa if he got angry enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Even normal Gohan fought off Vegeta for a bit, after Geets had been hit with a spirit bomb, I guess but still.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Prison Warden posted:

Even normal Gohan fought off Vegeta for a bit, after Geets had been hit with a spirit bomb, I guess but still.

Pretty sure that was before. After the Spirit Bomb, it was just Gohan transforming into the giant monkey and sitting on him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blockhouse posted:

CELL JR: MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANDROID 18

The best part.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
So like I actually am not as hype for Xenoverse as I was before the gameplay came out.

I really prefer the 1v1 with switching style stuff that were in the Budokai games. This massive big brawl with full active characters seems like it's likely to be a mess where the computer controlled characters mess up your combos and stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Prison Warden posted:

Wasn't there a line in the Ocean dub where they all think Vegeta's done for after he gets hit with the spirit bomb, then he crashes down next to them and King Kai (who's keeping an eye on things) yells, "I don't believe this! The Saiyan is even more powerful than he was before?"

I'm pretty sure I remember that dialogue, but at the same time, I also remember he was having trouble lifting off and flying immediately after he turned into Sonic the Hedgehog.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Metal Loaf posted:

Wasn't there a line in the Ocean dub where they all think Vegeta's done for after he gets hit with the spirit bomb, then he crashes down next to them and King Kai (who's keeping an eye on things) yells, "I don't believe this! The Saiyan is even more powerful than he was before?"

I'm pretty sure I remember that dialogue, but at the same time, I also remember he was having trouble lifting off and flying immediately after he turned into Sonic the Hedgehog.

The Ocean Dub can go to ANOTHER DIMENSION and stay there.

Probably meet Goku's BRILLIANT SCIENTIST father along the way.

Also that Xenoverse trailer was the hypest poo poo. Still not as great as "THE HERO IS GOKU? NO THE HERO IS YOU!" but drat it looks like it'll be a blast to play.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I mean... Ocean Dub said Goku's dad was some scientist that created the artificial moon poo poo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kild posted:

I mean... Ocean Dub said Goku's dad was some scientist that created the artificial moon poo poo.

No no one ever has said anything like that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

No no one ever has said anything like that.

:confused:

Exclusively in the Ocean Group dub of the anime, Vegeta states that Goku's father (never referred to by name) invented the Power Ball technique, calling him as an "average fighter but a brilliant scientist".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_DFJ-OXTzQ

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Exclusively in the Ocean Group dub of the anime, Vegeta states that Goku's father (never referred to by name) invented the Power Ball technique, calling him as an "average fighter but a brilliant scientist".

That is some amazing interpretation of the source material. :stare:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

That is some amazing interpretation of the source material. :stare:

They probably never saw past the Saiyan saga when they dubbed.

And you act like Toei didn't do stupider poo poo with their filler.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kild posted:

Did I watch the ocean dub as a kid :aaa:

E: After watching it, I remember Vegeta telling Goku about his dad, but I definitely don't remember that voice....

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It was the one on Cartoon Network for awhile, yeah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

E: After watching it, I remember Vegeta telling Goku about his dad, but I definitely don't remember that voice....

Ocean dub owned, their Piccolo was better for the first season and so was their Vegeta.

I think their Goku was just better in general, too

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
The Ocean voices were definitely better until the Funi cast started hitting their stride around the middle of the Cell saga. Once the Buu arc started they just were the characters and they've only gotten better since.

The original Namek dub was legendarily awful.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Chris Sabat trying to imitate Brian Drummond is insufferable to listen to and I'm glad he distanced himself from it but as a result it feels weird hearing ultra deep voiced Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hobo Siege posted:

The original Namek dub was legendarily awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdGa-2BSFiI

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The biggest mind blow was when, years later, I found out Ocean suddenly picked up where they left off.

Sadly they seemed to have gotten worse over the years.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

They even use the same scripts as Funimation. The lines are identical, they just have different voices.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

They even use the same scripts as Funimation. The lines are identical, they just have different voices.

Did Ocean ever dub the Bardock special? Did they throw in a line about him being a scientist?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have no idea, but that would be the best injoke ever.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I always took it as Vegeta saying Bardock was battle-smart, thinking of techniques and such

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it, all the Saiyan's technology was stolen right? What would a Saiyan scientist even do? Are they trying to create nuclear power by punching atoms and poo poo?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Squallege posted:

Thinking about it, all the Saiyan's technology was stolen right? What would a Saiyan scientist even do? Are they trying to create nuclear power by punching atoms and poo poo?

That is the most metal thing ever. I'd love to see that in action, unironically.

Sayian scientists: Discovering New Frontiers...Then Punching Them!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Covok posted:

That is the most metal thing ever. I'd love to see that in action, unironically.

Sayian scientists: Discovering New Frontiers...Then Punching Them!

The real reason Bardock was a scientist;

"LORD VEGETA, I SPLIT THE ATOM!"
'With what?'
"MY FIST!"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, somehow I only just discovered Super Dragon Soul. Goddamn this song is cheesy as hell and goddamn it kicks rear end. Especially when you look up the lyrics and discover that the guy's singing this triumphant tune about how Goku is going to kick your rear end and show the universe the power of love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMRTeHJfXo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

setafd posted:

I always took it as Vegeta saying Bardock was battle-smart, thinking of techniques and such

It's not that though it's some made up bullshit

like there's zero reason for Vegeta to even know who Bardock was and less reason for him to care

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

The biggest mind blow was when, years later, I found out Ocean suddenly picked up where they left off.

They had to dub the entire rest of the series in what was essentially a year.

That's roughly 200 episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Holy cosmos!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I know it won't happen, but it would be cool if in Xenoverse, characters reacted differently to you based on your race.

Like, Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta should freak out when they see you if you're playing as one of Freeza's race.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Kild posted:

I remember this line from when I first watched DBZ. It never occurred to me that it was bullshit. I just thought it was more Goku-Superman parallels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After Vegeta transforms into a giant ape, is Goku's approximate response of "He must be the one who killed my grandfather!" unique to a particular dub, or is it in the manga as well? I can't remember.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Metal Loaf posted:

After Vegeta transforms into a giant ape, is Goku's approximate response of "He must be the one who killed my grandfather!" unique to a particular dub, or is it in the manga as well? I can't remember.

Dub bullshit. Goku realized that the monster that killed Gohan was him. Then he apologizes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I know it won't happen, but it would be cool if in Xenoverse, characters reacted differently to you based on your race.

Like, Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta should freak out when they see you if you're playing as one of Freeza's race.

It'd be fun to travel through time and troll Vegeta by turning into a super saiyan during his first fight with Goku.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

I remember reading (I think from Scott McNeil himself) that the poor performances were a result of bad directing, rushed production, and just some really crap recording sessions overall

Sucks because as a kid I always thought Peter Kelamis loving nailed it in those original Geneon dubs of those first few movies, but they had much higher production values overall I think.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I honestly grew up with the Funi dub for the most part (I very faintly remember seeing Rock the Dragon and the eyecatch at a babysitter's house when I was like 2) so that's where most of my nostalgia lies. Hell, I don't think I actually started regularly watching until Cell.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be fun to travel through time and troll Vegeta by turning into a super saiyan during his first fight with Goku.

Or everyone wondering who this friendly pink dude who keeps saving them is only for the Supreme Kai to have a stroke upon seeing him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhonne posted:

Not exactly that but the datamined master lines have Raditz, Nappa, and Bardock explicitly refer to your character as a Saiyan, which makes me wonder if they'll only train Saiyans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

I remember this line from when I first watched DBZ. It never occurred to me that it was bullshit. I just thought it was more Goku-Superman parallels.

wasn't this referenced by Team Four Star

• Locked thread