Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

theres a hundred messages in that thread who are the crazy ones

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

so today I decided to upgrade to fedora 21 because I didn't have anything better to do... my packages were up to date so I ran fedup. it took loving forever. I didn't time it but the process may have taken more than 8 hours.

finally I started my newly upgraded os aaaand... it was super lovely. every time after logging in (took forever) there would be a message about a problem with the kernel. the whole system was unbearably slow

then I felt an almost deja-vu thing and decided to run yum update and I guess it solved my problems.

my impressions so far:

- fedora 21's default wallpaper is kind of bad. I never changed the fedora 20 wallpaper because it was nice but now I feel compelled to change this turd.

- I like how the terminal's window border is dark now

- it does feel a little faster and I appreciate it a lot :toot:

- before updating it seemed like gnome3 took away my 2/3 custom keyboard shortcuts but now after the yum update they're back. huh

totally unexpected op

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
fedora is a good system but the installation process is pretty bad

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Anaconda team is a separate team, and the Fedora and Desktop teams have no governing over them or the lovely designs they produce.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

- fedora 21's default wallpaper is kind of bad. I never changed the fedora 20 wallpaper because it was nice but now I feel compelled to change this turd.

for reference, this is it:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

:yayclod:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no anime in yospos

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
someone post that Linux wallpaper that looked like poo poo squirting from an rear end

it was probably unbunto

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

lol this is like default gimp brushes

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

lol this is like default gimp brushes

and how would u know???

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Symbolic Butt posted:

nice gimp editing skills there. now what's the real one?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is perfectly fine as a concept.

it's a "programmer art" placeholder for the final version in fedora 21's non-beta release right

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Be nice. He's come a long way since his first wallpaper.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Anaconda team is a separate team, and the Fedora and Desktop teams have no governing over them or the lovely designs they produce.

my anaconda don't

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

jfc

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

hahahh

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ah! h-his os!! how is it such... ..such a pos

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I installed gnome 3 on a somewhat marginal laptop with 600px of vertical resolution, and tried to change some things with the tweak tool. But the dialog box scrolls off screen. Is there a way to set a virtual desktop larger than the screen or something? I'm not seeing any way to make it so I can actually read the entire dialog box. I see there's a zoom feature but no way to zoom out less than 1:1.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

I installed gnome 3 on a somewhat marginal laptop with 600px of vertical resolution, and tried to change some things with the tweak tool. But the dialog box scrolls off screen. Is there a way to set a virtual desktop larger than the screen or something? I'm not seeing any way to make it so I can actually read the entire dialog box. I see there's a zoom feature but no way to zoom out less than 1:1.

installing a Linux on Christmas

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

just gnome actually, no linux is involved. Christmas with the family was fun though but now I have toys to play with

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

GNOME doesn't support officially resolutions less than 1024x768 because it's not 2004. If you want to move the dialog you can hold the Windows key and drag with the mouse.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Man it's an older, cheap laptop but it's an hp mini from 2010, it's not that old. Knowing how to move around the window should hopefully be sufficient though, thanks

Having shortcut keys to zoom in or out of the desktop built-in would be super nice though, especially for the visually impaired.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Broken Machine posted:

"somewhat marginal"

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

"somewhat marginal"

as is anything you would (or should) install gnome or a linux on

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Linux is only for servers and ios rip offs. please visit store.apple.com

pram
Jun 10, 2001
finally a voice of reason in the linux thread

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
OS X isn't linux, but it's linux enough for me, I just want manage some linux servers and doing that with Windows is a pain in the dick

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

as is anything you would (or should) install gnome or a linux on

Something that doesn't match the late 80s in graphics capabilities

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Origin posted:

Linux is only for servers and ios rip offs. please visit store.apple.com

thank you

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Broken Machine posted:

Man it's an older, cheap laptop but it's an hp mini from 2010, it's not that old. Knowing how to move around the window should hopefully be sufficient though, thanks

Having shortcut keys to zoom in or out of the desktop built-in would be super nice though, especially for the visually impaired.
nice username/post combo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

Something that doesn't match the late 80s in graphics capabilities

yeah, what kind of idiot would try to install linux on a netbook of all things, everyone knows those were designed for windows xp

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

merry linuxmas

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
linuxmas? yumbug

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The hardware can't be that out of date; some random dude patched in support to get the audio working all of two weeks ago. Not linux but that's open source right there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

The hardware can't be that out of date; some random dude patched in support to get the audio working all of two weeks ago. Not linux but that's open source right there.

this has nothing to do with how old the hardware is, hth

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Broken Machine posted:

There were people out there that were upset when the kernel dropped 386 support. I guarantee you some miserly sperglord is posting to Debian users from a Pentium pro with maxed out ram.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
wasn't neovim that got a lot of flak because they didn't want to support ms-dos lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Broken Machine posted:

the hardware can't be that new since it takes about a decade to get sound working on any given linux