Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

Here is me as a cobra and a sidewinder fighting today. It was good fun.

I was flying around in Aerial system with my bros all like

Then I went and engaged this heretic anaconda doing sweet maneuvers like this

But he somehow got a lucky shot in with his plasma and my bros were all like

That's my story.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Got a few days off to dive into this game and I'm really enjoying it. Got a few quick questions about scanning/smuggling mechanics. Do stations with exterior docking platforms not automatically scan your ship like those you have to enter? I found a system that has courier-like missions to pick up illegal goods from uncharted systems that pays well enough, just want to make sure I won't get randomly scanned and blown up on docking.

The other question is which ship should I aim for if I like doing deep-space exploration/smuggling and maybe with some combat capabilities (if I find a USS that drops me into a skirmish). After looking at the wikis I can't decide between the Viper or Adder before getting a Cobra.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rukus posted:

Got a few days off to dive into this game and I'm really enjoying it. Got a few quick questions about scanning/smuggling mechanics. Do stations with exterior docking platforms not automatically scan your ship like those you have to enter? I found a system that has courier-like missions to pick up illegal goods from uncharted systems that pays well enough, just want to make sure I won't get randomly scanned and blown up on docking.

The other question is which ship should I aim for if I like doing deep-space exploration/smuggling and maybe with some combat capabilities (if I find a USS that drops me into a skirmish). After looking at the wikis I can't decide between the Viper or Adder before getting a Cobra.

So stations never ever scan you. However large orbitals (the ones with interior docks) have security services that fly around it and scan dudes. Outposts generally lack these security forces so unless there happens to be one at that outpost, you shouldn't ever be scanned.

ASP. You want an ASP. An adder is a good stepping stone, a type-6 is also a decent stepping stone.

Here is me as a cobra and a sidewinder fighting today. It was good fun.

You couldn't be seeing orbital lines while fighting, thats reserved for super cruise and you can't pew pew in super cruise :colbert:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am thinking of getting this skin for my cobra.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rukus posted:

Viper is more of a heavy fighter than explorer (it has poo poo for jump range), decent smuggler though (though it is lacking in cargo capacity). For exploration the Adder is a good early option, three hardpoints, decent cargo space, not too pricey, and with the proper components you can get it up to 22-25Ly unladen range. Slap a fuel scoop on that sucker and go. It also works well enough for smuggling.

After the Cobra I'd definitely shoot for an Asp. The Asp is one of the best ships in the game, hands down. It has the perfect combination of exceptional jump range (possibly the longest in the game?), fuel capacity, and component flexibility. If you want to do it, it's probable that DAT ASP can do it not only well, but REALLY loving well. That ship is amazing and I love it. It's even good in a fight, as it carries six hardpoints and they're all clustered right around the cockpit. It's basically the perfect ship.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How bad is the relations hit for failing a mission? I'm thinking of just giving up on naval progression until the import/export issues are fixed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Not really that bad that I've noticed.

I've failed and dropped things constantly but still doing good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Trying to fit a Viper but I don't know how, really. I have medium lasers for shields and small autocannons which is working alright but I don't know if I should switch that to medium cannons and small lasers, or whatever. Advice for fitting ships with different-size hardpoints please.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hanging around in Achenar today.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Sheep posted:

How bad is the relations hit for failing a mission? I'm thinking of just giving up on naval progression until the import/export issues are fixed.

Import/Export issues (as they currently understand them) should be fixed right now, but it'll be a day or two before they all shake out in some places. That was a server-side change this morning.

aranth
Nov 13, 2013

Python fuel cost is bananas. :psyduck:

36k for a 35 ly trip that took 3 jumps. My old Lakon-7 only needed 8k for the 70 ly round trip with the same 32 ton tank (and that was around half capacity). What kind of rear end backwards logic increases the prices of fuel depending on the ship you're using?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

aranth posted:

36k for a 35 ly trip that took 3 jumps. My old Lakon-7 only needed 8k for the 70 ly round trip with the same 32 ton tank (and that was around half capacity). What kind of rear end backwards logic increases the prices of fuel depending on the ship you're using?

Hint: The price of fuel isn't increasing! You're just buying a whole lot more of it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You need to make your ship more fuel efficient.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Any opinions on which of the keyboard and mouse or a game pad offers the better experience? I don't have a joystick at the moment but I might buy one in the future.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

I am thinking of getting this skin for my cobra.

Too rich for my blood! That skin costs like, what, $6?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

aranth posted:

This is gonna blow your mind dude, but a more massive ship takes more fuel to jump equally far.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Heh. I never noticed this. Now I feel slightly bad I already sold my Adder and upgraded to a Cobra. :v:

Edit:

And this time I probably stay with it for a while. Sweet looking ship. Now I just have to do some rare trading until I'm satisfied with my upgrades, then I'll head back to deep, empty space.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 23, 2014

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

aranth posted:

Buy a fuel scoop. If you're flying a big ship then you better get in the habit of scooping.

Also if you think that's expensive then wait until you fly a Lakon 9.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Hanging around in Achenar today.

Yeah, there's a station like that in Futhark where I buy food commodities for missions. It'd be cool if we could eventually work towards getting Harry's to look like that inside.

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Inverness posted:

Any opinions on which of the keyboard and mouse or a game pad offers the better experience? I don't have a joystick at the moment but I might buy one in the future.

I've tried Kb/m, gamepad, and joystick. I'm sticking with kb/m because it has the best precision. The downside is flying without flight assist is just about impossible. Also don't use the default controls.

Icedude posted:

Yeah, there's a station like that in Futhark where I buy food commodities for missions. It'd be cool if we could eventually work towards getting Harry's to look like that inside.

A few stations in Sol also look like that.

aranth
Nov 13, 2013

Rotation Confusion posted:

This is gonna blow your mind dude, but a more massive ship takes more fuel to jump equally far.

Alright, both ships use a 32 ton fuel tank. Filling half the tank was 10k on the Lakon-7, 70k on the Python. That has nothing to do with fuel consumption, that's simply highway robbery for the same amount of fuel.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Check their mass and how efficient your jump drive is. My cobra doesn't take nearly that much in cost.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Raziel Eldwor posted:

I've tried Kb/m, gamepad, and joystick. I'm sticking with kb/m because it has the best precision. The downside is flying without flight assist is just about impossible. Also don't use the default controls.

A few stations in Sol also look like that.

Mars High and Galileo, from memory.

I think Titan City does as well, in keeping with the lore that it was a popular tourist destination before interstellar travel became a thing.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I know Chaff Talk was a few pages ago, but:

Get two chaff launchers. Set Voice Attack up with one command to pop a chaff and wait 30 seconds, and repeat infinitely. Add one more command to stop doing so.

Congratulations, you are now more or less immune to turrets, tracking missiles, and gimbaled weapons!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game needs a built in MP3 player. I'm using Windows Media Player for now, but it would be cool to listen to "Casualties of Cool" like I actually have that poo poo in my space-truck.

aranth
Nov 13, 2013

Check their mass and how efficient your jump drive is. My cobra doesn't take nearly that much in cost.

Fuel increases in cost for bigger ships, even with the same fuel tank capacity. It's just a hidden money sink depending on the hull price if I were to guess.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

aranth posted:

Fuel increases in cost for bigger ships, even with the same fuel tank capacity. It's just a hidden money sink depending on the hull price if I were to guess.

Maybe the Python takes premium?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

aranth posted:

It does. I am in a bigger ship too. My fuel cost went down after I upgraded things. Presumably the mass went down.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A goon that hates on the adder a shameful goon

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
The Adder's cockpit will look a lot nicer when it's finished. That's like, bare minimum they could kick it out of the door with. I remember other ships having that weird two-tone vinyl texturing before they gave em the detail pass.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

aranth posted:

It's basically a hidden tax on more expensive ships. Probably so that running costs increase along with earning potential.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Any current/upcoming sales on the game? Maybe I've been ruined by Steam, but I haven't paid full retail in quite a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

sincx posted:

Any current/upcoming sales on the game? Maybe I've been ruined by Steam, but I haven't paid full retail in quite a while.

Official "Release" was Dec 16th. Sorry, but it almost certainly isn't going on sale any time soon. The closest you would've gotten to a discount was the $10 off pre-order price.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Elenkis posted:

It's basically a hidden tax on more expensive ships. Probably so that running costs increase along with earning potential.

Space Diesel Tax. He's not MY space Emperor...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

It does. I am in a bigger ship too. My fuel cost went down after I upgraded things. Presumably the mass went down.

Now I'm imagining landing pads doubling as weight scales, adjusting price like a dishonest deli clerk.

Hey guys, we need another way to price gouge pilots who saved up enough for a bigger ship and an FSD that costs millions of dollars. Who's gonna notice? If they do, I'm sure some loyal customer will defend our pricing decisions for us if saying 'buy a fuel scoop if you don't like it' doesn't fool people.

EDIT: vvv I suppose everything coming in standard issue one ton canisters makes asking for just a little extra animal meat a bit tricky.

Speaking of cargo canisters, have there been any super :spergin: on the official forums complaining about Refineries magically creating cargo containers to store your ore in?

Double vvv Yeah, this sort of thing is part of why so many people in Beta 2 were scrambling to move back into their Eagles.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 23, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You know, we need a deli. We need to eat to survive. Price sinks ahoy.

Also add docking fees.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man this talk about fuel costs makes me glad I've decided to stay with my new Cobra for a while. No more rising fuel costs for me! (Also I have a fuel scoop.)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Did they ever give a reason as to why there won't be player owned space? With 800 million systems, it seems like such an obvious thing to include- at least down the road.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
I paid dearly for not having shields today. Flew 130 light years with ~800k in rares. clip the entrance of the space station, ship goes wonky and I blow up. Fun. You only have to destroy your ship for the first time, once, so there's that. Onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

Can someone tell me how much money I need to save to outfit a Cobra for a trading setup and a decent FSD? I know a Cobra is 379k, but want to make sure I don't go bankrupt just getting the basic model.

• Locked thread