Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Any good programs for creating a fake LAN-connection? I used to use Hamachi but I don't like the fact that it's forced to run all the time, it's not like I need it every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Kamrat posted:

Any good programs for creating a fake LAN-connection? I used to use Hamachi but I don't like the fact that it's forced to run all the time, it's not like I need it every day.

There's always Tunngle and Evolve. They were both fine last time I checked.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Kevin Bacon posted:

There's always Tunngle and Evolve. They were both fine last time I checked.

Thanks, I'll check them out! :)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any free/cheap SIP softphone software for Windows?

I'd like to be able to connect to our work PBX when I'm working from home.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I like Phoner even though its more like a 95 Software.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

X-lite from Counterpath. Its pretty solid. Bria (paid version) supports transferring, etc, but X-lite itself works well.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Siochain posted:

X-lite from Counterpath. Its pretty solid. Bria (paid version) supports transferring, etc, but X-lite itself works well.

Thanks!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just discovered Rufus today. It's basically an expanded version of the standard Windows drive formatting tool that among other things lets you create proper bootable FreeDOS USB sticks for firmware updates and the like.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Any recs for programs that scan for out-of-date drivers and then downloads the newest ones?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

PhazonLink posted:

Any recs for programs that scan for out-of-date drivers and then downloads the newest ones?

Nothing exists that works worth a crap, and most programs are malware/cause problems - I've actually never seen one of these not cause problems.
Just randomly haunt the manufacturers sites and grab them - its a pain, but most drivers (other than video) don't update very often.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Siochain posted:

Nothing exists that works worth a crap, and most programs are malware/cause problems - I've actually never seen one of these not cause problems.
Just randomly haunt the manufacturers sites and grab them - its a pain, but most drivers (other than video) don't update very often.

The only good one I've used was ThinkVantage System Update for my then-new Thinkpad T42, back in 2003. It was obviously IBM-only, and you still needed to install the ethernet driver manually, but after that, ThinkVantage took care of everything else in one go.

Then Lenovo took over the PC/laptop division and the system updater got worse with every subsequent version, until it was finally completely useless.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

The only good one I've used was ThinkVantage System Update for my then-new Thinkpad T42, back in 2003. It was obviously IBM-only, and you still needed to install the ethernet driver manually, but after that, ThinkVantage took care of everything else in one go.

Then Lenovo took over the PC/laptop division and the system updater got worse with every subsequent version, until it was finally completely useless.

I'll give you some of the OEM specific ones are okay. Asus has one for their gaming-series laptops that seems to work well. But for generic systems? They're all crapware.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone know of some decent alternatives to Synergy? Aka something that lets me use my mouse/keyboard on another networked computer besides my current one as well.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Anyone know of some decent alternatives to Synergy? Aka something that lets me use my mouse/keyboard on another networked computer besides my current one as well.

Mouse without borders works fantastically well: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

"Mouse without Borders is a product that makes you the captain of your computer fleet by allowing you to control up to four computers from a single mouse and keyboard. This means that with Mouse without Borders you can copy text or drag and drop files across computers."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KozmoNaut posted:

Eh, we use the Lenovo system updater and it does fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AlternateAccount posted:

Eh, we use the Lenovo system updater and it does fine.

It's been a long time since I used it last, my T42 has been running Linux for ages :spergin:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Hey,

Does Windows have any PDF readers/general ebook/whatever readers with the following feature: Upon using page down/up, scrolling not an entirety of the length of the screen, and visually displaying where the previous bottom of the screen was for easy continuation for reading.

Any workspace handlers? I've actually got DisplayFusion on my desktop which supposedly does virtual monitors, I'll have to give it a shot there. Any better alternatives? I've tried BetterDesktopTool but I haven't been that impressed with it.

Running Windows 8.1 on my laptop if that matters at all.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Sumatra has a book view where it shows two pages at once, if that helps.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does Secunia not work with a VPN enabled? I wanted to give it a try instead of FileHippo because FH seemed to install a bunch of toolbar poo poo, but it doesn't actually finish loading. Having to disable my VPN is not the end of the world but I'd rather find a way to get it to work with it instead.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Any decent, free, and easy to use network monitoring software out there?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Wireshark?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does anyone know of/use a decent free program to monitor bandwidth usage on an individual windows pc? There's one computer in my network that appears to be going nuts and it doesn't appear to be an infection. It's also the CEO's computer so I need proof before he'll let me re-image it.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 19, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

tadashi posted:

Does anyone know of/use a decent free program to monitor bandwidth usage on an individual windows pc? There's one computer in my network that appears to be going nuts and it doesn't appear to be an infection. It's also the CEO's computer so I need proof before he'll let me re-image it.
Netlimiter 3 bandwidth monitor on Win7. On Win8, the Netlimiter 4 beta trial might last long enough to gather evidence, I'm not sure ("restricted usage period", whatever that means).

Both can gather pretty detailed long term stats about what process did what and when, that can be exported to some interactive html/xml mixture. Last I checked, anyway.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any software that will allow me to lock down my PC down to one browser window/tab?

I'm going to be hosting a small party at my house and to play music I'll be streaming a chrome tab with Spotify open to my chromecast.

Since the computer will need to be in the room, I'd rather people not be able to start mucking around with the computer while that's happening.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Is there any software that will allow me to lock down my PC down to one browser window/tab?

I'm going to be hosting a small party at my house and to play music I'll be streaming a chrome tab with Spotify open to my chromecast.

Since the computer will need to be in the room, I'd rather people not be able to start mucking around with the computer while that's happening.

You could just lock the computer.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Flipperwaldt posted:

Netlimiter 3 bandwidth monitor on Win7. On Win8, the Netlimiter 4 beta trial might last long enough to gather evidence, I'm not sure ("restricted usage period", whatever that means).

Both can gather pretty detailed long term stats about what process did what and when, that can be exported to some interactive html/xml mixture. Last I checked, anyway.

TcpView does it for free
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

If you want people to be able to use Spotify, just hit F11 to fullscreen chrome and call it good.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You could use IE in kiosk mode. You at least need some knowledge of keyboard shortcuts to get out (alt+f4 is the only way out, I guess unless you go to the task manager and kill the process?). Although maybe there are other ways out I don't use it

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"Hi, welcome to my house. Everyone who owns the house gets to use the computer" is my software recommendation of choice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Group Policy, built in to windows, allows you to make an account that can only log out and use one application. Set that application to a Chrome webapp (three lines menu button, More Tools, Create Application Shortcuts...) and voila.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice. The idea was to leave the computer available for guests to add songs to the queue.

In my experience people will inevitably try to browse off to other sites, which would cut off music and subject everyone else to terrible YouTube videos in the middle of the party.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
We've got a small network of computers that have no default gateway or routes to the internet. One PC on that network that has two NIC's with the second NIC being on a network with internet connectivity. I'm looking for a simple (and free) proxy server that'll allow us to use that dual homed machine to get to certain internet sites (WSUS/Windows update, AV updates, etc) from the segregated machines while blocking everything else.

It should also be easy to deploy to multiple machines once I've got the config setup how I like on a test system, as this environment will be rolled to hundreds of locations.

I'm looking at the Windows distribution of Squid and will probably go that route, but if anyone else has had good experiences with any alternatives I'd appreciate it, especially stuff that might be a little bit easier to config for people who aren't as used to a *nix environment (certainly not talking about myself there :smuggo:)

wyoak fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 22, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Looks like SketchUp is no longer free, SketchUp Make appears to be a trial for the $590 Pro version. gently caress that, I find SketchUp frustrating enough as is and I just don't want to learn it since I feel like learning SketchUp would not benefit me at all if I ever started using real CAD software.

What free CAD software should I learn to use? I primarily want to draft designs for wood working projects like end tables or a new desk someday.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

NanoCAD. There's not much for free CAD out there, but this one holds its own against paid stuff.

http://nanocad.com/

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
OpenSCAD is fairly simple, dunno if it does what you want tho.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

wyoak posted:

if anyone else has had good experiences with any alternatives I'd appreciate it, especially stuff that might be a little bit easier to config for people who aren't as used to a *nix environment (certainly not talking about myself there :smuggo:)

I'm pretty sure you can do this natively in windows using some manipulation of netsh portproxy.
You'll have to set the dual NIC machine as the machines with no internet access' default gateway. Then simply forward the various hostnames from one lan to the other and the routing table of the proxy machine should do the rest. Once you've got it in place you can create a batch file for your distribution purposes.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Crotch Fruit posted:

Looks like SketchUp is no longer free, SketchUp Make appears to be a trial for the $590 Pro version. gently caress that, I find SketchUp frustrating enough as is and I just don't want to learn it since I feel like learning SketchUp would not benefit me at all if I ever started using real CAD software.

What free CAD software should I learn to use? I primarily want to draft designs for wood working projects like end tables or a new desk someday.
This is news to me, but you've looked at it and I haven't yet: did something change with SketchUp Make 2015? SketchUp Make 2013 and 2014 seem perfectly usable assuming their limited functionality compared to Pro works for you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Whats the best thing to use for malware/trojans and/or viruses nowdays? Or is Security Essentials good enough?
e: Is this MS tool decent?
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 5, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Think malwarebytes is the go to these days. There's a paid version for live protection I believe but also a free version which does the scan.

Kind of funny how these awesome free spyware/whatever removal tools come out and are the next best thing then they start bundling browser toolbars and spyware in them themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Christoff posted:

Kind of funny how these awesome free spyware/whatever removal tools come out and are the next best thing then they start bundling browser toolbars and spyware in them themselves
Thanks.
Even the MS scanner I linked to above wants to bundle in MSN & Bing shovelware to "enhance your internet experience"

• Locked thread