Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Vichan posted:

Haer'Dalis always felt a bit unfinished to me, it may be because the Aerie/Haer'Dalis/CHARNAME love triangle got cut or whatever. I actually have that feeling with a lot of BG2's characters.

Been a long time since I had the two together, but isn't there still a noteable conflict between you and Haer'Dalis if you're at ROMANCEACTIVE 1 with Aerie while he's trying his moves on her too? It's his personal quest about stealing from that Bridge District mansion that got completely cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have a long plane flight tomorrow, I think I'll try and ironman bg1 on my tablet as a wildmage, since I bought it on a whim ages ago and haven't really played it (on the tablet, I mean). I don't expect to make it to the Friendly Arm Inn.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If you use Rasaad's portrait constantly (like I do) when you talk to him in Nashkel, he becomes Stone Cold Steve Austin and that's kinda cool.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

gently caress it just go and kill basilisks for free xp.

My mage/fighter party got wiped by the amazons outside the neshkel mines. So time for another sorc.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Skwirl posted:

Jesters are better than base bard, and base bard isn't that bad in a full party, you just need to concentrate on buffs and accept that they may not kill much, but they'll help everyone else kill better.

It's fairly trivial to iron man BG1 with a solo bard.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I consider this some sick nasty cheese. Jaheria used a potion of invisibility.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Who do you guys think is better in terms of flavor text and entertainment - Xzar or Kagain? Debating between the two in my party...

Fighter/Mage
Montaron
Viconia
Edwin
Dorn
(Xzar or Kagian)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Xzar and Monty's plot stuff happens once you get to Baldur's Gate but it's insignificant aside from the reveal that they're Zhent agents. Kagain's personal quest is never really developed and is in fact dropped rather abruptly.

Just use whomever seems more useful to you, neither really has much flavor text in the first place.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

moot the hopple posted:

Xzar and Monty's plot stuff happens once you get to Baldur's Gate but it's insignificant aside from the reveal that they're Zhent agents. Kagain's personal quest is never really developed and is in fact dropped rather abruptly.

What happens? I've never kept them long enough.

I think one of the unfinished business patches does something with Kagain's quest?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Comstar posted:

What happens? I've never kept them long enough.

I think one of the unfinished business patches does something with Kagain's quest?

The mages on top of sorcererous sundries are all "sup xzar good job being a spy" and then they all leave instead of fighting you.

That's literally it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's kind of a downside since you miss out on a cool wizard fight.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If you're running BG1NPC then Xzar is way more entertaining than Kagain. Unless you're really into dour money-grubbing mercs, I guess.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

verybad posted:

Is there a mod to remove the added content from BG2EE? I loving hate it.

Probably won't help you, but on iOS, Dorn and whoever else the new NPCs were are actually $2 in-app purchases. Haven't bought them yet, and probably never will :v:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i'm probably going with a solo sorc, mage/thief or mage/cleric, not sure which yet. full scs & item randomizer installed. chaotic neutral, since i'm probably going to murder everyone i feel like. let's see how far i can make it.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 23, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My Sorc just hit level 4 / Jaheria is 3/3 and Imoen is either 4 or 5 I forget. A 3 person party is working pretty well so far. 4th level is huge for a sorc since that is when they get 2nd level spells. I picked scorching ray as my one spell known. Think It is time to do Neshkal mines.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Smol posted:

Probably won't help you, but on iOS, Dorn and whoever else the new NPCs were are actually $2 in-app purchases. Haven't bought them yet, and probably never will :v:

Rasaad and his quest are in the game without having to buy them but other than that. But he sucks anyways because low level D&D monks goddamn are they bad

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I like IWD2 a lot but haven't played IWD 1 in forever and I laughed out loud at this

I guess I'm easily amused but that's such a great silly idiot dialogue option.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
IE games have loads of dialog options in which the protagonist turns into Guybrush Threepwood
The EE versions however overloaf it and every dialog options has a wacky option which looks bad!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Been a long time since I had the two together, but isn't there still a noteable conflict between you and Haer'Dalis if you're at ROMANCEACTIVE 1 with Aerie while he's trying his moves on her too? It's his personal quest about stealing from that Bridge District mansion that got completely cut.

I'm pretty sure he'd end up dueling you for Aerie's affections, I've never come across that in any of my games so I just assumed it was cut.

There was also stuff dropped relatively early in development, something about Viconia being infected by lycanthrophy and you were supposed to be able to mold Aerie's personality as you saw fit depending on the resolution of her personal sidequest. I'll see if I can dig up the source!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

I'm pretty sure he'd end up dueling you for Aerie's affections, I've never come across that in any of my games so I just assumed it was cut.

There was also stuff dropped relatively early in development, something about Viconia being infected by lycanthrophy and you were supposed to be able to mold Aerie's personality as you saw fit depending on the resolution of her personal sidequest. I'll see if I can dig up the source!

Aerie had her major personal quest cut. If you remember the Harpers and how they transformed an assassin into a bird, you'd eventually have to deal with that and Aerie: you'd have to choose between her leaving the party by being turned permanently into a bird so she can fly again, or hardening her to life on the ground. Her dialogue set in ToB was originally created to replace her dialogue set in SoA if you hardened her.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
She hardens anyway, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

She hardens anyway, though.

Yes, because the original plan was for it to happen in SoA and the quest for it was cut.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
No, I mean, she hardens in SoA if you bring her romance with Haer'Dalis to an end after Aerie calls him out on his bullshit

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

No, I mean, she hardens in SoA if you bring her romance with Haer'Dalis to an end after Aerie calls him out on his bullshit

Which is completely unrelated to what I was talking about and has nothing to do with Aerie's cut content. Aerie's voice set doesn't change in SoA - and she doesn't need the PC's help to end her romance with HD - and that has nothing at all to do with her cut quest.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
From the LPArchive...

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

For games that are more focused on combat and dungeon crawling, IWD1/2 have some awesomely written dialogue.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

armoredgorilla posted:

From the LPArchive...
Leaving Yquog in the Horde Fortress alive lets you meet him again later in the game. You get some special dialogue options (and an XP reward) if you're carrying the corpse of a man a woman a cat or a combination of the above. So yes, carrying a bunch of corpses through the game will pay off in the end:

quote:

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this *dead cat/man/woman,* for instance....
Yquog: Uh... Why are you carrying around a dead cat/man/woman?
PC (carrying a cat's corpse): Doesn't everybody carry around a dead cat? It's soft, and furry - well, parts of him are still furry - it's low maintenance, and the smell is rather cleansing, once you get used to it.
PC (man's): Oh, him? He's my good luck charm! You see, he was my first kill, and ever since then I've been carrying him around for good luck. As you can see with my exemplary success against the Legion of the Chimera's many hordes, he works like a charm!
PC (woman's): Her name is MISTY! Be polite to my Misty, she's very dear to me. It's hard enough to offer her to you, even though it was her suggestion. What? What's that, sweety? You think the lumpy demon is funny looking...?
PC (man's and woman's): Ha, ha, funny you should ask. You see, I'm their chaperone for their date - you know, I'm around so they don't do anything that they would later regret. It'd be a shame if I had to end their little outing by handing one of them over to you, but... Hey, wait a bit! Why don't you chaperone them?
PC (man's & cat's): Hey, easy on the *dead* comment - Buddy's very sensitive about that. As for Spot, well, Buddy always harped about wanting a pet, so one day I caved and gave him one. He was a tough bugger to get, but one swift *whack...*
PC (woman's & cat's): Hey, easy on the *dead* comment - Misty's very sensitive about that. As for Spot, well, Misty always harped about wanting a pet, so one day I caved and gave her one. He was a tough bugger to get, but one swift *whack...*
Yquog: NO! What's wrong with you?! You're insane! How could an insane fleshy mortal reap such havoc on the Legion of the Chimera?! I can't eat you; you'll give me some kind of mental disease! I'll just kill you and leave the body for the rats!

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this dead cat,* or this *dead man,* or *dead woman,*...
Yquog: You... You mean to say that you carry dead things with you wherever you go?!
PC: Of course! Doesn't everyone? For me, it's kind of like a memento of all the slaughter I wrought during this campaign against the Legion of the Chimera.
Yquog: You... I... But... By Iyachtu Xvim, you're SICK! You hold no concept or understanding for things alive or dead! I want no part of you, not when I'm so close to maturity! Collect all the bodies you want, sick fleshy mortal, but you'll not have mine! I'll leave this place, and you, in peace and never return, of this I swear!
PC: Oh, well, okay, if you insist. Pity, though, you'd have made a fine addition to my pretty, tender collection...
Yquog: AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

BG1EE has a real lovely buggy with Berserkers enrage ability. If you between maps with enrage open when the enrage ends instead of just losing the temporary hp like normal you actually go back to normal hp and then take 15 damage. So if you have 40 hp go enrage and hit 55 hp and then travel maps you will end up at 25 hp instead of back at 40.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

God DAMMIT now I am going to have to install IWD2 and play it. I need to get past the goddamn Dragon's Eye for once.

Isnt there some other quest in IWD2 near the end that you can only achieve if you have all the dead cats you have found throughout the game in your inventory?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I honestly can't remember- does anything carry over from BG1 to BG2 enhanced editions in terms of NPC interactions? Like if I get khalid killed in BG1 does that do something to irenicus' dungeon?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I don't know for sure but I don't think so. Because when you run into Xzar there is an option of "I thought you were dead" or something like that to say if he was killed and then the whole drizzt thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quantumfate posted:

I honestly can't remember- does anything carry over from BG1 to BG2 enhanced editions in terms of NPC interactions? Like if I get khalid killed in BG1 does that do something to irenicus' dungeon?

I don't think so.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It's a Bioware game, so it's good that they've been consistent.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Messing around with a solo Fighter/Illusionist, and I'll reiterate my opinion that all mages should be CE. Massive poison from the Beregost spiders were trivialized by a familiar Chaos. Only familiar not nerfed I think.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Bort Bortles posted:

God DAMMIT now I am going to have to install IWD2 and play it. I need to get past the goddamn Dragon's Eye for once.

Isnt there some other quest in IWD2 near the end that you can only achieve if you have all the dead cats you have found throughout the game in your inventory?
I don't remember there being another use for corpses to be honest. But this does demonstrate that those adventurers who laughed at you for lugging around dead animals didn't know what they were talking about and had no idea what adventuring truly entailed. They probably should have read this book that's available in the game:

quote:

How To Be An Adventurer

This ludicrously huge and heavy book - more a compilation of volumes in a single binding than anything else - claims to be an extensive manual on the "the fine art of adventuring." Its many chapters include:

- Henchmen: Loyal Companions or Seedy Pack-Mules?
- Making Your Kit Work for *You*
- 101 Uses for a 10' Pole
- Catapults: Yes, That's as Far as it Shoots
- Getting the Most Out of Your Party's Thief
- Today's Tinderbox - It's Not Just for Lighting Torches Anymore
- Dungeons to Tackle:
- Stinky Pieter's Halls o' Poorly Guarded Gold
- The Caves of Soundly Sleeping Monsters
- Archmage "Loose-Bowels" Wozley the Milksop's Enchanted Item Warehouse
- The Wooden Citadel of Darmos the Old and Crippled
- Uncle Fralin's Tool Shed
- ...and more!
- Dungeons To Avoid Like the Crotch-Rot:
- The Iron Fortress of Blodax, Devourer of Souls
- Dominara the Erinyes' Nine-Layered Brothel of Violent Emasculation (No Slaking... or Slating... allowed)
- The Crimson Hell-Pit of One Billion Miserable Deaths
- Uncle Fralin's Bedroom
- ...and more!
- Your Lantern and You
- Twelve Uses for Twelve Iron Spikes
- 99 Uses for That Little Hammer That Comes With Twelve Iron Spikes
- Face It, You're Actually "Neutral Evil"
- The King's Lovely Daughter: Look But Don't Touch
- Don't Put Your Hand in That Dark Hole

...and over eighty more information-packed chapters covering all aspects of adventuring, from hoarding to spell-casting and bold heroics to arse-saving cowardice.

STATISTICS:
Special: Gives the reader 10,000 Experience Points. Disappears after use. Weight: 8 lb.

Hughlander posted:

Messing around with a solo Fighter/Illusionist, and I'll reiterate my opinion that all mages should be CE. Massive poison from the Beregost spiders were trivialized by a familiar Chaos. Only familiar not nerfed I think.
I like ferret familiars (given to LN mages). I'm pretty nervous about having a familiar out in combat situations, so I like the fact they have a high pick pocket skill and I can thus use them for something in a non-combat situation. Saves having to bother investing in that skill, though buying a bunch of potions of master thievery can also cover you.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I am getting towards the end of BGEE and my reputation has taken a huge poo poo even thought I think I have only had to kill 2 or 3 flaming fist guys. My ranger is now a "Fallen Ranger", whatever that means. I kind of messed up by moving the story forward before I did much exploration of the city so I am running around the town blind trying not to kill guards.

I tried going to the Ducal palace but no matter what I couldn't get my party to go into the gate, they were all grouped together but being chased by guards. I am trying the sewers now; I found a map online and it has a Ducal exit marked, but it seems to be a dead end in game.

Everything was pretty chill up until the past chapter or two and now things are starting to feel desperate. I can't wait to go back through with a different character and party.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cythereal posted:

Which is completely unrelated to what I was talking about and has nothing to do with Aerie's cut content. Aerie's voice set doesn't change in SoA - and she doesn't need the PC's help to end her romance with HD - and that has nothing at all to do with her cut quest.

You have to let HD gently caress Aerie
So I'm still right :smugmrgw:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Gooch181 posted:

I am getting towards the end of BGEE and my reputation has taken a huge poo poo even thought I think I have only had to kill 2 or 3 flaming fist guys. My ranger is now a "Fallen Ranger", whatever that means. I kind of messed up by moving the story forward before I did much exploration of the city so I am running around the town blind trying not to kill guards.

I tried going to the Ducal palace but no matter what I couldn't get my party to go into the gate, they were all grouped together but being chased by guards. I am trying the sewers now; I found a map online and it has a Ducal exit marked, but it seems to be a dead end in game.

Everything was pretty chill up until the past chapter or two and now things are starting to feel desperate. I can't wait to go back through with a different character and party.

You're supposed to find proof that Sarevok is a fucker and also some kind of papers that allows you entrance into the palace.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Also a Fallen Ranger means you are a Warrior with none of Ranger's bonuses and all of his drawbacks. You still count as a ranger for all triggers though. You can regain rangerhood if you import him to BG2 and finish the stronghold questline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I can't remember if the holy avenger is in IWD 1 or 2, I also can't find a conclusive answer.