Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

NTT posted:

Here's some videos, smash thread
Feat. No. 1 little mac: http://youtu.be/BCY30kMZo2E

Also some moves being shown: http://youtu.be/7g47t__s9Xc

I like how they always got KO'd from the left so it looked like they were falling down.

Edit: If we're sharing videos of ourselves filming our 3DSs...

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

source???

edit: oh apparently its from that dumb starbomb music video. well the animation is cute at least.

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 23, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I was hanging out with 3 friends last night and they decided they wanted to do 4v4 against computers on Palutenas Temple. I warned them against it. What a loving horrible stage. I actually had a pounding headache by the end of it from trying to track my tiny character.

We played a 4 player free for all on that stage yesterday. I think a minute in someone paused the game and quit out and nobody had any objections

Huge stages are only cool on paper :(

Also a thing we tried for the first time with real people: Smash Tour. Smash Tour Is Bad.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

We played a 4 player free for all on that stage yesterday. I think a minute in someone paused the game and quit out and nobody had any objections

Huge stages are only cool on paper :(

Also a thing we tried for the first time with real people: Smash Tour. Smash Tour Is Bad.

Smash Tour is...okay if you don't care about any of the random things it does. Like random stats, characters, stages, items, and modes. And how the final battle is stock but based on KO count anyways.

In other words, it's okay if you don't care about a lot of the reasons why you bought the game in the first place being completely randomized. Well, at least the miniscule amount of challenges for it are bearable.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Palutena's Temple is really disappointing because you can see how they could cut chunks of it up into like 4 or 5 individual, fun levels. There's some good design buried in there, but it's glued to all this other crap and four other stages and it just doesn't work.

8-player Smash necessitates larger levels, but nothing needs a level as large as that.

At least there's Omega mode so we can still hear the music on bad stages this time around. Poor DKC had so many good songs hidden away in a terrible Brawl stage so nobody ever heard them, this solves some of that problem I guess.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm so happy about the huge variety of viable characters at a competitive level this time around. Yeah, Diddy's a bit ridic right now, and I'm anxious that Mewtwo might end up a bit OP due to the devteam feeling they need to make him "worth it", but I'm optimistic. Sonic and Ness are Good and I'm just really happy about things.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I really want this as an avatar but I don't know how to shrink GIFs and make them take up less space.

If anyone can help me out I will owe them some Smash battles.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Looper posted:

That lava ocean is terrifying. All of my custom stages are variations on dicks and asses and lava balls and cannons launching you in or out of them

IMHO the lava ocean is better than the real water ocean. I love the real Pirate Ship level but the game's swimming mechanics are weird and never feel quite right.

The stage builder feels pretty half-baked at the moment. It would be amazing with just one tweak: the ability to drag individual points after a shape is drawn. At the moment, if you gently caress up just one point, your only option is to delete the entire shape and start again, which makes drawing large shapes almost impossible. Also I can't believe they give you two moving platforms but zero static platforms. Static platforms are practically the backbone of all real smash levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Polo-Rican posted:

IMHO the lava ocean is better than the real water ocean. I love the real Pirate Ship level but the game's swimming mechanics are weird and never feel quite right.

The stage builder feels pretty half-baked at the moment. It would be amazing with just one tweak: the ability to drag individual points after a shape is drawn. At the moment, if you gently caress up just one point, your only option is to delete the entire shape and start again, which makes drawing large shapes almost impossible. Also I can't believe they give you two moving platforms but zero static platforms. Static platforms are practically the backbone of all real smash levels.

You can draw static platforms though. Just make a line without any depth.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, finally got a Wii U, but I'm afraid playing so much on 3DS might have gimped me for the console version. For some reason I seem to be having a much harder time pulling off smash attacks on the gamepad. Anyone else have this issue? Is playing on a gamecube controller any better? Gonna get an adapter as soon as Best Buy has it back in stock, but who knows when that will happen.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

You can draw static platforms though. Just make a line without any depth.

:stare: Okay time to edit every level I've made

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I really want this as an avatar but I don't know how to shrink GIFs and make them take up less space.

If anyone can help me out I will owe them some Smash battles.

Edit: Oh man I really like that you can see the Eye of Naga in that GIF. :allears:

Edit2: Here's one that fits the new avatar limits because I forgot the limit isn't 125x125 anymore.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 23, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Palutena's Temple is really disappointing because you can see how they could cut chunks of it up into like 4 or 5 individual, fun levels. There's some good design buried in there, but it's glued to all this other crap and four other stages and it just doesn't work.

8-player Smash necessitates larger levels, but nothing needs a level as large as that.

At least there's Omega mode so we can still hear the music on bad stages this time around. Poor DKC had so many good songs hidden away in a terrible Brawl stage so nobody ever heard them, this solves some of that problem I guess.

They try so hard to capture the Hyrule Temple magic but they just can't. At least with Palutena's Temple I can see how they were like "okay this could work" (the big huge gap int he middle like Guar Plains is the big problem I think) but I don't understand how The Great Cave Offensive ever made it past playtesting.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

What I want to know is why Kongo Jungle 64 is a valid 8-player stage.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I don't understand how The Great Cave Offensive ever made it past playtesting.

The same could be said for most of the singleplayer content and Smash Tour. There are lots of things in this game that are either clearly broken (smash tour's win condition) or really obtuse (even a simple game like trophy rush is confusing as hell the first 10 times) unless you're already familiar with older smash titles.

Luckily the core game is really amazing!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It'd be cool if there was a Metroid stage that wasn't a high tech lava place. Most Metroid games have a lot of nature scenes. A Phendrana Drifts stage would have been pretty sweet.

Dr. Wily's stage seems pretty uninspired and the yellow devil just makes it worse.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

seiferguy posted:

It'd be cool if there was a Metroid stage that wasn't a high tech lava place. Most Metroid games have a lot of nature scenes. A Phendrana Drifts stage would have been pretty sweet.

Be careful what you wish for, or else you'll get Torvus Bog or something. With a fun Dark World mechanic that constantly damages you if you aren't in a tiny protection bubble.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Edit: Oh man I really like that you can see the Eye of Naga in that GIF. :allears:

Edit2: Here's one that fits the new avatar limits because I forgot the limit isn't 125x125 anymore.

This is amazing, you're amazing, thanks so much for doing this.

My NNID is AlfalfaTheRoach. We can Settle It now or after the holidays (preferably on the 27th for me), whatever your preference.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 23, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Classic would be so much better if there was always an option to pick a 1v1 fight, as it is it's a crapshoot and your entire classic run could be a tedious slog through endless 5-8 player free for alls which aren't hard but carry the risk of some random rear end in a top hat grabbing a hammer and ruining your run. Then you fight Master Core who is so much harder than the preceding fights and if you gently caress up go spend 10-15 minutes on another run.

Macaluso posted:

They try so hard to capture the Hyrule Temple magic but they just can't. At least with Palutena's Temple I can see how they were like "okay this could work" (the big huge gap int he middle like Guar Plains is the big problem I think) but I don't understand how The Great Cave Offensive ever made it past playtesting.

Actually the hole in the middle owns and pursuing your opponent onto those moving platforms is one of the most brave and manly things you can do.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

This is amazing, you're amazing, thanks so much for doing this.

My NNID is AlfalfaTheRoach. We can Settle It now or after the holidays (preferably on the 27th for me), whatever your preference.

Now's good. I'll send you a friend request, then open up a room.

Edit: Or I can accept your request, that works too.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Super. I'll be on in a sec to Settle my debt in Smash.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, I gotta drop now. Good matches though!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

It's fine, good matches yourself!

My Bowser and Lucario need serious work compared to my R.O.B.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah that ROB of yours is really good, though I screwed myself there by going for Nosferatu while slightly off the edge.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I forgot that Nosferatu even put you in helpless state in midair. Still though, you've got a really nice Robin.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I was so close to the edge too that I thought I was gonna grab it but nope. :argh:

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
Palutena's Temple is secretly the best 1v1 stage, whenever we play the stage just seems to move freely from piece to piece without forcing it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aladdin posted:

Palutena's Temple is secretly the best 1v1 stage, whenever we play the stage just seems to move freely from piece to piece without forcing it

Now play against a Sonic on there and say that

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Does anyone want to really feel it or perhaps smash a bro on the 3ds? Got mine back from my bro and I'm hankering for some Xmas week smash

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
I like Great Cave Offensive. It's very different from any other map and the lava makes things interesting.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Fhate posted:

I like Great Cave Offensive. It's very different from any other map and the lava makes things interesting.

Great Cave Offensive is great once you figure out what's going on. The adjustment period is hell, though.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Fhate posted:

It's the Smash stage that's an adventure! It's also my personal darling, since Kirby Super Star is the best game ever.

ed- To add to this, one of my secret-favorite things to do is pick an extra-big stage and put on "endurance" contests of 10 or 15 minutes. GCO is fantastic, but I miss New Pork City for something like that.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 23, 2014

Nuuds P00dle
Jun 28, 2011

smash em crash em bash em:shroom:
I'm starting to think the player base was better on 3DS while the wiiu game has people trashtalking in the name entry bar after some matches. Hope
they hurry it up with tourney mode

The pubbie tears will be tasty

WeAreDevo
Oct 4, 2004

A: We are D E V O
I finally got this game, had a blast playing with my friends, but I seem to have sound issues. Does anyone else have a problem of no 5.1 sound? All my other Wii U games, other consoles, and other home theatre devices 5.1 audio works great. This game's sound comes out in a sad 2 channels only, which is an insult to its wonderful music and sound.

I am using the downloaded eshop version and a straightforward hdmi cord for audio and video. I found a few other unanswered complaints about this when I google searched, but no real solid consensus or solution.

Or perhaps I missed some obscure audio setting?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

WindyMan posted:

I miss New Pork City

What the gently caress.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got this today and it's awesome. Everything I could have wanted. My Gamecube controller is in transit, now I just need to get one of those damned adapters. I loving suck poo poo with the normal gamepad controls.

I tried Classic with Mario on 5.5 and crushed it up until Master/Crazy Hand, at which point I lost straight until it went down to 2.2 and it was just me against Master Hand, but I got him.

Then after some practice I did another Classic on 5.5 with Luigi and somehow beat Master Core on my first attempt, unlocking Lucina. During the Master Core fight I honestly had no idea what the gently caress was going on and just rolled constantly and got an attack in when I could, and somehow beat it (is it me or does the Dark Luigi or whatever shadow character you fight against start very big and reduce in size the more you damage it?)

Also, is Lucina basically Girl Marth? Some minor differences but essentially the same move set. Does her forward smash also do the most damage/knockback with Just The Tip?

Finally, I know this sounds silly but I miss Roy. Ike is an okay heavy-ish replacement, but I miss my Not-Marth. What's Robin's deal? I honestly can't make heads or tails of his/her battle mechanics with the book and normal/vorpal sword poo poo. That's right, thanks to the animu stylization I honestly don't know if Robin is a guy or a girl.

Now, to unlock everything!!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Robin is a guy and a girl.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You're closer than you think to the truth about robin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Robin is both guy and girl. Go play Fire Emblem Awakening.

• Locked thread