Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Somaen posted:

http://kommersant.ru/doc/2639259

The government also forced the top export companies to dump their dollars on the market. Some comments are suggesting that this will stabilize the ruble until New Years, after that there's going to be problems again when all the companies in Russia need to import stuff in preparation for the coming year and need to pay in dollars/euros, keeping in mind that everything got much more expensive.

Also there likely is going to be a deflationary effect from very high interest rates, if you are still holding rubles, it makes more sense to sit on them than to risk them otherwise which is going to sap domestic investment.

However, in the longer term, it does increasingly look like China will continue to back Putin for the time being and isn't interested in regime change in Moscow. Their currency swaps may be the only reliable way Russia is going to get financing at this point but it is a way out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It speaks to how stupid the whole Russian intervention is if it's taken this long for the country you've invaded to throw in with NATO. Ukrainian politics were consistently swinging between being pro EU and pro Russian, but for some reason on the last pro-EU swing Russia said "gently caress it, we're hosed forever, grab what we can!!" Clearly Russia was not hosed forever with Ukraine, then. Now however, they've set Ukraine's course.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SaltyJesus posted:

Some time ago I floated the idea of having a separate Eastern Europe thread and making this the Russia/Ukraine one since that's what it effectively already is.

People who wanna talk about lower-impact regional politics, cultural and linguistic stuff, movies/music and people who want to talk about war, sanctions, and impending economic apocalypse wouldn't have to talk over each other. The former get drowned out and I imagine the latter occasionally have to skip pages of languagechat.
Sorry, but the Eastern Europe thread belongs to Russia's sphere of influence.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Warbadger posted:

So far the only countries not either invaded to break off some choice bits or declared not-a-real-country seem to be those strongly aligned with NATO. Could it possibly be that Russia has not been entirely honest about their motivations and intentions??

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Maybe they should stop provoking their neighbors to flee to NATO, then.
"They started it, my hands are clean" isn't really how I hope geopolitics is done.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sorry, but the Eastern Europe thread belongs to Russia's sphere of influence.

That's OK, us Yugos don't recognize Russia's authority anyway. :tito:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Lichtenstein posted:

Depends. Are we allowed to post Warraha songs?

More like required to post Warraha songs. :allears:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm OK with non-Russian Eastern Europe thread. Most posts really do get drowned by the ongoing conflict.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

People who want separate R/U and EE threads - are there grievances with this thread, other than necessity to scroll through numerous R/U posts in order to find non-R/U posts?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

kalstrams posted:

People who want separate R/U and EE threads - are there grievances with this thread, other than necessity to scroll through numerous R/U posts in order to find non-R/U posts?

So where do Belarus, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan get placed?

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Oh boy, I don't believe they'd actually want to touch that poo poo. What's going to be next?

Vitebsk and Gomel Regions were illegally transferred to Belarus in 1934 and should be returned to Russia?

Kazakhstan was illegally separated from Russia and elevated to full republic status in 1936?

The Karelo-Finish Republic was illegally re-incorporated into the Russian Federal Republic and should be an independent country?

Russian annexation of Crimea was illegal because if flagrantly broke Article 2 of the 1997 signed and ratified treaty of friendship between Russia and Ukraine?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ardennes posted:

So where do Belarus, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan get placed?
Respective matters in respective threads, I guess. Myself I don't feel need for two separate threads, but I am not disinterested in R/U conflict.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The amount of posts by MGiF, Teddy, and the rest of the asylum crew doesn't help. Some days this thread is just unreadable, especially when obviously non-EE posters on both sides of the debate deign to explain why we should just really <<insert chauvinistic oversimplification here>>.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

eigenstate posted:

Oh boy, I don't believe they'd actually want to touch that poo poo. What's going to be next?

Vitebsk and Gomel Regions were illegally transferred to Belarus in 1934 and should be returned to Russia?

Kazakhstan was illegally separated from Russia and elevated to full republic status in 1936?

The Karelo-Finish Republic was illegally re-incorporated into the Russian Federal Republic and should be an independent country?

Russian annexation of Crimea was illegal because if flagrantly broke Article 2 of the 1997 signed and ratified treaty of friendship between Russia and Ukraine?

So does this set a precedent that all decisions of the USSR were illegal?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SaltyJesus posted:

The amount of posts by MGiF, Teddy, and the rest of the asylum crew doesn't help. Some days this thread is just unreadable, especially when obviously non-EE posters on both sides of the debate deign to explain why we should just really <<insert chauvinistic oversimplification here>>.

We should really supply Ukraine with more lethal aid, training, coordination, and anti-missile support in order to stop this trend of horrific Russian aggression.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
^^^
lol

I'm not disinterested in the R/U conflict either, I just prefer to listen because there are massively more knowledgeable goons than me here. I don't have much to contribute on R/U but I like learning. I just think there should be two places for two dissimilar discussions. R/U is obviously insanely topical and it draws the most comments. It's not that dissimilar with having a Middle East thread and a separate Israel/Palestine thread.

My first proposal was actually to separate the political and apolitical parts of the thread. Keep political stuff here, move the languagechat and culturechat to an Ask/Tell thread called "Ask us about being Eastern European" or something like that.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 23, 2014

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

SaltyJesus posted:

I'm not disinterested in the R/U conflict either. I just thing there should be two places for two dissimilar discussions. R/U is obviously insanely topical and it draws the most comments. It's not that dissimilar with having a Middle East thread and a separate Israel/Palestine thread.

My first proposal was actually to separate the political and apolitical parts of the thread. Keep political stuff here, move the languagechat and culturechat to an Ask/Tell thread called "Ask us about being Eastern European" or something like that.

Separating languagechat/culturechat from politics in Eastern Europe, of all places, doesn't sound like it would work out all that easily.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nah, keep it simple. Make a separate Ukraine Russia conflict thread and leave this thread as it is.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Guildencrantz posted:

Separating languagechat/culturechat from politics in Eastern Europe, of all places, doesn't sound like it would work out all that easily.

Yeah, I realized that. I was thinking about a thread rule along the lines of "feel free to ask about politics but leave chauvinism at the door".

Also, I forgot to say. Russian and Ukrainian stories wouldn't be unwelcome in the EE thread, it'd just be general stuff as opposed to the current conflict.

E: Perhaps I phrased my suggestion poorly. I never meant to have separate threads for a) Russia & Ukraine b) everywhere else. The "R/U thread" I mention would be specifically about the conflict and the "EE thread" would be about everything else EE-including-Russia-and-Ukraine related.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 23, 2014

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Cingulate posted:

"They started it, my hands are clean" isn't really how I hope geopolitics is done.

Nah, there's much more "Well you've done it too!" involved ;)

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So does this set a precedent that all decisions of the USSR were illegal?

I'm no international law expert, but I don't think this would strengthen Soviet legitimacy. And since Russia is the legal successor to the USSR, if the Duma gets too excited with treaty revisionism, they could end up accidentally de-legitimizing themselves. Which is why I doubt this bill will pass.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eigenstate posted:

I'm no international law expert, but I don't think this would strengthen Soviet legitimacy. And since Russia is the legal successor to the USSR, if the Duma gets too excited with treaty revisionism, they could end up accidentally de-legitimizing themselves. Which is why I doubt this bill will pass.

I don't think the Duma cares very much about their perceived legitimacy.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Give everything back to the Golden Horde.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Look, just admit that most of Europe remains the property of Rome and it's about drat time Italy starts taking back its rightful land.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think this thread moves fast enough to warrant the separation, but that's me. Also, Teddy is MIA, so the shitposting is way down, and no radical developments means there is space to talk about things that are not The Great Game bullshit.

Effortposts about EastEU politics are wonderful and educational, thanks to all who contribute.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Give everything back to the Golden Horde.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2nIeV7YnapA Dear Batska has made this very point :allears:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

I don't think this thread moves fast enough to warrant the separation, but that's me. Also, Teddy is MIA, so the shitposting is way down, and no radical developments means there is space to talk about things that are not The Great Game bullshit.

Effortposts about EastEU politics are wonderful and educational, thanks to all who contribute.

Seriously, I don't think we need another three-page thread that will fall off the first page in a week.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Guildencrantz posted:

More like required to post Warraha songs. :allears:

If you give some early notice on when the thread will go up, I'd make an honest to God big effortpost about Kelthuz, Korwin-Mikke and the rest of the (quite literal) clown car.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Lichtenstein posted:

Korwin-Mikke

wiki article posted:

Janusz Korwin-Mikke's economic views are radically liberal, in the classical sense of the word [...] He frequently refers to such figures as Frédéric Bastiat, Alexis de Tocqueville, Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman and Margaret Thatcher. Korwin-Mikke is a self-declared monarchist

. . .

One of Korwin-Mikke's particular opinions that raised public attention is denying the sensibility of women's suffrage (arguing that most women were not interested in politics anyway, and would more often vote for a welfare state.) He also claims that women are generally less intelligent than men. To back up this claim he pointed out that in top 100 chess players there is only one woman.

. . .

Other provocative statements include the claim that there is no written proof Adolf Hitler was aware of the Holocaust and that the difference between rape and consensual sex is very subtle. He has also claimed that: "there is a hypothesis that the attitudes of men are passed to women by way of the semen which penetrates the tissue... now when contraceptives are much more in use, the women become much more independent.” During the 2012 Summer Paralympics, Korwin-Mikke wrote that the general public should "not see the disabled on television". In 2007 he set up a "Individual Development Foundation" which helps disabled people develop their skills in chess.

. . .

In 2008, his blog was the most popular political blog in Poland.

:captainpop:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So how popular is that guy?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Phlegmish posted:

Seriously, I don't think we need another three-page thread that will fall off the first page in a week.

Such is life.

We will also stop spamming map thread with balkanchat no we won't

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

He sounds like lots of fun. :allears:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Baronjutter posted:

So how popular is that guy?
Apparently enough to become an EU parliamentarian. :v:

Seriously though, you guys have no idea how far the rabbit hole goes. I'd hesitate to spoil things now, because this man truly deserves a proper effortpost.

Ah, screw it, I'll leave a teaser: he claims to have invented sliding tackle.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Holy poo poo, I just realized he's a Polish Holocaust denier.

Lichtenstein posted:

he claims to have invented sliding tackle.

:vince:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How the gently caress is he both a 'radical liberal' and a monarchist. He sounds like one of those suburban Internet teenagers trying to come up with a cool, unique political persona, except it's an actual politician.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

How the gently caress is he both a 'radical liberal' and a monarchist. He sounds like one of those suburban Internet teenagers trying to come up with a cool, unique political persona, except it's an actual politician.
You can't trust filthy masses to not distort The Market, so you need a king.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Forgall posted:

You can't trust filthy masses to not distort The Market, so you need a king.

Basically he is a fringe reactionary wants to really really roll back the clock a few hundred years (that said, he might also have a problem with the commonwealth as well considering...).

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It's like Russia's Stalin-worshipping neo-Tsarist Nazis.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Basically he is a fringe reactionary wants to really really roll back the clock a few hundred years (that said, he might also have a problem with the commonwealth as well considering...).

So Partitions of Poland few hundred years?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Some libertarians actually claim to be both, including infamous Hans Hermann Hoppe. They mostly do this by carefully reinterpreting the concept of liberty until it really means "property rights".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So Partitions of Poland few hundred years?

I assume well before that, he might still have a problem with lower level szlachta having too many rights.

• Locked thread