Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

lilljonas posted:

I know this too well already, my precision is more or less halved if I just unplug my headphones so that my wife can hear me play, and I lose all traces of rhythm. I can't imagine what a bunch of potentially sceptical people looking at me would do.

I put in an ad looking for practice buddies or a band that can accept a player with poor skills but the will to practice and improve. Wish me luck.

Honestly for me there's a big difference between being on stage, in a kind of separate space where you have a job to do, and playing in a much more intimate setting like in a room with another person listening. You see it in professional musicians too, they can belt it out in stadiums but when it comes to like a radio performance in the studio or something they suddenly get shy and awkward.

The other nice thing is any screwups happen in the context of several people playing at once, so you can get away with it :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

baka kaba posted:

Honestly for me there's a big difference between being on stage, in a kind of separate space where you have a job to do, and playing in a much more intimate setting like in a room with another person listening. You see it in professional musicians too, they can belt it out in stadiums but when it comes to like a radio performance in the studio or something they suddenly get shy and awkward.

The other nice thing is any screwups happen in the context of several people playing at once, so you can get away with it :haw:
So very true.
I'm loving addicted to playing onstage but I HATE being handed a guitar at parties.

I'm a completely different person onstage than I am I'm reality (or maybe the other way around, I dunno, makes me feel schizoid when I think on it too much), I don't get the benefit of hiding behind my 'persona' when it's a few people in a room.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

iostream.h posted:

So very true.
I'm loving addicted to playing onstage but I HATE being handed a guitar at parties.

I'm a completely different person onstage than I am I'm reality (or maybe the other way around, I dunno, makes me feel schizoid when I think on it too much), I don't get the benefit of hiding behind my 'persona' when it's a few people in a room.

baka kaba posted:

Both of these 1000%

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

lilljonas posted:

I know this too well already, my precision is more or less halved if I just unplug my headphones so that my wife can hear me play, and I lose all traces of rhythm. I can't imagine what a bunch of potentially sceptical people looking at me would do.

I put in an ad looking for practice buddies or a band that can accept a player with poor skills but the will to practice and improve. Wish me luck.

The less people watching you, the scarier it gets :) But! Once you feel the rush of adrenaline through your veins and as you get into the groove, you'll feel so good that you never want to get off the stage.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I'm looking for a decent set of headphones that can work for amp output for both my bass and guitar. Should I be looking for consumer grade or should I make the jump to studio monitor type stuff? Budget is fairly low end, about 60 bucks. Is there a headphone guide that I've missed somewhere maybe?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
These were really comfortable and sounded nice, I think the set I picked up was around 40$

http://www.cadaudio.com/MH320.php

Only issue was the longevity of the cable.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
God I hope I'm asking in the right place.
I need an instrumental version of Touch by Daft Punk but I just can't find anything, not even on those karaoke sites where you need to pay money, so it looks like I'll have to try my best to remove the vocals from the original version. What's the best way to do that?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I recently acquired a PreSonus BlueMax Compressor (see new gear thread), which is a half rack unit that I would like to place in the last 1U space in my bass amp's rack. Unfortunately, the compressor came used, without any sort of rack adapter (apparently the one made for it is no longer sold, either). So, I'm trying to find a way to mount it.

Of the options I've found, there's a Gator half rack adapter, but it looks a little awkward (dog ears on both ends, but why?) and is only available online for like $25-30.
The other option I'm considering is a 1U slotted faceplate at Guitar Center that is made of 16 gauge steel. My plan, there, is to take a hammer and chisel to those slots and basically bash out half of the grate, then probably drive some holes with an awl or something and screw in the front plate.

I'm open to ideas, though. Anyone ever get a half rack unit without any way to mount it?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I recently acquired a PreSonus BlueMax Compressor (see new gear thread), which is a half rack unit that I would like to place in the last 1U space in my bass amp's rack. Unfortunately, the compressor came used, without any sort of rack adapter (apparently the one made for it is no longer sold, either). So, I'm trying to find a way to mount it.

The other option I'm considering is a 1U slotted faceplate at Guitar Center that is made of 16 gauge steel. My plan, there, is to take a hammer and chisel to those slots and basically bash out half of the grate, then probably drive some holes with an awl or something and screw in the front plate

Your bottom idea wouldn't be terrible if you switched your tools from hammer & chisel to a dremel and the awl for a drill.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Can anyone recommend some good (free) scoring software?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

horriblePencilist posted:

God I hope I'm asking in the right place.
I need an instrumental version of Touch by Daft Punk but I just can't find anything, not even on those karaoke sites where you need to pay money, so it looks like I'll have to try my best to remove the vocals from the original version. What's the best way to do that?

Vocal removal is very difficult to do 'perfectly' from a mastered recording, despite what many plug-in producers may try to tell you. However, you can try opening the track in Audacity (or other audio editor, I mention Audacity because it is free and pretty useful to have around), selecting just the right channel and inverting the phase on it. This is assuming the vocals are mainly in the 'centre' of the stereo field, and what in theory happens is inverting the phase of one channel cancels out any signal in the middle (ie the vocals). Don't expect total removal, but you should hopefully notice at least a big reduction in them.

Bear in mind this will also probably gently caress with the kick and bass if they are centred too though. There's a bunch of tutorials on YouTube about doing this, and watching them will give you a rough idea of what to expect.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
This is a dumb question, but this seems to be the place for them. I've used FL Studio for forever and ever, and I'm trying to transition to using my Mac more. Logic is awesome, but I miss the mouse workflow. Is there any way to smarten the mouse up? I realize the magic pad is limited, but I do have a USB mouse if that's easier. Basically I just want the mouse to be a bit more contextually aware. When I'm in a piano roll, I want left click to write a note, right click to delete it, hold left click to drag, hold right click for menu. I do know about the cmd hotkeys, but that seems cludgey and I just want to mouse down some phat beatz. What am I doing wrong?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In logic you have a secondary tool that's used by clicking while holding down the command key and you can choose which function is enabled by doing this, but apart from that I think your best bet would be to learn what the shortcuts are to switch between tools. There are keyboard overlays you can buy that show you a lot of the main shortcuts, like this:

and they work pretty well providing you have the right keyboard. There are also stickers you can buy that stick on every key to do the same thing for more broad keyboard compatibility but they can't be just lifted off like the rubber ones and will probably interfere with general typing experiences.

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011
What's a good instrument to play if I can't use my right thumb? Preferably something that sounds good solo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ihopeirememberthis posted:

What's a good instrument to play if I can't use my right thumb? Preferably something that sounds good solo.

How much 'can't use' are we talking? Clarinets and saxophones have a bit where the right thumb carries some of the weight of the instrument but doesn't actually require any other faculty in that digit. Guitars of various sorts would require a different picking methodology, if you're playing right handed, but wouldn't ask much of the right thumb. You could even use banjo-style fingerpicks if you can't grip with that hand.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

French horn :q:

(Don't really do it. It's a miserable instrument to learn unless you have a fantastic ear.)

Trumpet would be better, you don't hold up the instrument with your right hand so your thumb shouldn't matter.

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

How much 'can't use' are we talking? Clarinets and saxophones have a bit where the right thumb carries some of the weight of the instrument but doesn't actually require any other faculty in that digit. Guitars of various sorts would require a different picking methodology, if you're playing right handed, but wouldn't ask much of the right thumb. You could even use banjo-style fingerpicks if you can't grip with that hand.

Well, I've broken my right thumb a couple of times and have pretty bad arthritis in the base. I think it would be fine for supporting a light instrument, but I don't have much dexterity with it and any repetitive loading would be painful. I play a bit of guitar at the moment but honestly I've never liked the instrument much.

Hawkgirl posted:

French horn :q:

(Don't really do it. It's a miserable instrument to learn unless you have a fantastic ear.)

Trumpet would be better, you don't hold up the instrument with your right hand so your thumb shouldn't matter.

I'm not really a fan of brass instruments either. Now I'm being so picky I realise I should have mentioned this all earlier.

I like the idea of cello, violin or maybe a wind instrument. How much force goes through the thumb when holding a bow?

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
It would be a little unconventional, but depending on how tall your torso is, resting alto sax on front of chair you sit on could work. Playing with an alto in front as opposed to off to the side isn't unheard of. I play it in front depending on space/room (always with a neckstrap).

Piccolo would be an option as well...it's light, though not really the best solo instrument a lot of times.

For a lighter/less pressure clarinet type option, you could go recorder...though trick there would be finding a good one. The plastic ones most places sell are complete junk.

I don't play strings so can't help you there.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Well, I've broken my right thumb a couple of times and have pretty bad arthritis in the base. I think it would be fine for supporting a light instrument, but I don't have much dexterity with it and any repetitive loading would be painful. I play a bit of guitar at the moment but honestly I've never liked the instrument much.

I'm not really a fan of brass instruments either. Now I'm being so picky I realise I should have mentioned this all earlier.

I like the idea of cello, violin or maybe a wind instrument. How much force goes through the thumb when holding a bow?

It might be worth your while to rent a violin and take a lesson or two - that way you would have some advice on correct thumb position and would be able to tell if it works for you. What kind of music are you interested in playing? That might narrow things down.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Bass Guitar is a perfect instrument for someone who can't use their right thumb, you really only use the thumb if you want to slap (and I'm sure you could learn to slap with your other fingers).

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
How can I wire a guitar to pick up AM radio on purpose? Single coil, only one pickup, no tone knob. I don't care if it sounds like garbage

Not having to use a router would be nice.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Probably just a lot of unshielded wiring at some point in your circuit. I have a little metal pedal that just functions as a killswitch for signal and it sitting between two regular guitar leads is enough for me to legibly pick up local sports transmissions. Maybe make a super ghetto cable out of two strands of insulated wire, perhaps even the same sort of wire that actually gets used for AM antennas.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Length of the wire matters, I think. You've got to check what the wavelength of am radio is and use a wire length that is related to that. I don't know. My father occasionally mumbles about things like that, but I haven't been listening very well.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
A friend of mine is a luthier, and will be building a guitar for the guitarist in my band. We're thinking of cutting up some spider-man comics and covering the guitar in comic panels. What would be the best way to lacquer them onto the guitar?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I did a similar thing with camo cloth tape on a guitar, I just used a couple of cans of matte-finish polyurethane spray lacquer and it set really well with a sort of plastecised finish. Stick the comics on with a layer of contact adhesive and then give it a couple of dozen coats with the spray and it will hold forever.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I'm looking into getting a new guitar strap this year and I know that Couch straps come as widely recommended. This will be getting locked up and slapped on the Warwick, which isn't a terribly heavy instrument, but is still a 5-string bass guitar. Is there any particularly recommended type of strap of theirs to look at or would I be well enough going for one of these saucy deadstock straps like the "Vintage Cadillac Sunburst"?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I'm looking into getting a new guitar strap this year and I know that Couch straps come as widely recommended. This will be getting locked up and slapped on the Warwick, which isn't a terribly heavy instrument, but is still a 5-string bass guitar. Is there any particularly recommended type of strap of theirs to look at or would I be well enough going for one of these saucy deadstock straps like the "Vintage Cadillac Sunburst"?

Couch straps are pretty sturdy you should be fine with just about any one of them.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Mono's Betty strap is my favorite for bass. I've tried the Comfort Strapp and plenty of others, but the Mono is the most comfortable for me.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Is there one among us who can identify the simple two chord progression in this song? I am a guitar player and almost completely tone deaf so it's hard to try and work this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0G53hJ8Rjs

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

o.m. 94 posted:

Is there one among us who can identify the simple two chord progression in this song? I am a guitar player and almost completely tone deaf so it's hard to try and work this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0G53hJ8Rjs

First chord is Amaj7.

Second is Dm7 with the high F note dropped down a half step (sorry don't know the name of that chord).

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

That's perfect, cheers

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

beatlegs posted:

First chord is Amaj7.

Second is Dm7 with the high F note dropped down a half step (sorry don't know the name of that chord).

If it still has a m3 and the E is an octave higher than the root, it would be a Dm9

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Do you guys know any website or other web resource, where I can find "case studies", so to speak, of popular songs in terms of musical structure? Wikipedia does an okay job with some of the songs (see: wiki entry on "Here Comes the Sun" by The beatles), but it's not enough. You know what I mean? Like, music theory in practice. Any help is highly appreciated. :)

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Red Garland posted:

Do you guys know any website or other web resource, where I can find "case studies", so to speak, of popular songs in terms of musical structure? Wikipedia does an okay job with some of the songs (see: wiki entry on "Here Comes the Sun" by The beatles), but it's not enough. You know what I mean? Like, music theory in practice. Any help is highly appreciated. :)

This is a good resource on Beatles music, at least:

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Jesus F**K, if it isn't exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the quick and valuable reply.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for some notation software to create sheet music for drum tabs. So far I've found a program called Music Score but it seems more geared towards piano, and I'm not quite able to get drum tabs to come out right. I'm looking for something pretty simple where I can just set a note type and length then drag and drop onto the staff.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Guitar Pro has pretty robust drum notation.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

A friend of mine has been sending me files he recorded in Audacity for me to re-edit in Cubase. When I export the .wavs out of Audacity and attempt to manipulate them in Cubase (copy/pasting, or just using any processing commands), they tend to crash Cubase for some reason. Any idea what might be going on?

So far, the only solution seems to be to import into Cubase, re-export, then re-import again which results in a more stable file.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe bitrate differences? If one session is in 44khz/16 bit and the other is 48khz/24 bit or similar it might be causing the crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
What's the best way to analyze a song's structure? Let's use Psycho Killer as an example.

What would you call the "We are vain and we are blind / I hate people when they're not polite" section? And the part sung entirely in French, is that a bridge?

Sorry if my questions are silly