Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

The Warszawa posted:

Wow, that reads like "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks when the defense moves to suppress."

That is why I was lamenting the fact that most people consent to a search. What do the cops have to lose at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

'Dreamers' in Arizona are legally entitled to receive state driver licenses, in a 6-3 decision.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

FlamingLiberal posted:

'Dreamers' in Arizona are legally entitled to receive state driver licenses, in a 6-3 decision.

Who is the dissent? I'm assuming Alito, Scalia, Thomas?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is a little stronger than I'd put it. The Supreme Court refused to vacate a temporary order of the 9th Circuit. They didn't rule on the merits and there was no opinion.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's being pretty generous for a vote on whether to block an injunction, considering they haven't decided to hear the case yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok the headlines were wrong then. I didn't have a chance to read the whole article.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilweasel posted:

This is a little stronger than I'd put it. The Supreme Court refused to vacate a temporary order of the 9th Circuit. They didn't rule on the merits and there was no opinion.

I guess technically they are for the time being, assuming the ninth did what the ninth does and said "gently caress that bigotry poo poo?"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Nebraska and Oklahoma have filed suit in SCOTUS to force the repeal of Colorado's marijuana laws.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

I think they have a point, to be honest. That the federal government would be willing to enforce their pot laws against me but not other people just based on what state they live in seems unfair. That isn't really how this government is supposed to work. And aside from simple fairness, it makes enforcing the state and federal laws against pot much harder in neighboring states.

That said, I hope Nebraska and Oklahoma lose this case hard. Typical conservatives not being all gung ho for the concept of state's rights when a state is doing something they oppose.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I think they have a point, to be honest. That the federal government would be willing to enforce their pot laws against me but not other people just based on what state they live in seems unfair. That isn't really how this government is supposed to work.
Why?

We enforce laws differently in different states all the time. I can get gay-married in Massachusettes and get federal benefits, but if I live in Texas I can't get a marriage certificate and get those same benefits. Same with cousin marriage which varies between states.

The Voting Rights Act imposes preclearance on some states but not others.

There's even precedent in the 21st Amendment: if a state bans alcohol, and the surrounding states don't, though titties.

That's just federalism.

I don't really see how they have standing either. Congress could repeal the federal drug laws tomorrow and then there'd be no unequal federal enforcement, yet those states would still have the exact same problem of drugs coming across the border that they're complaining about now so what's the remedy?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

If there was a federal ban on gay marriage the idea would be that you could not get gay married in any state. That's the point of a federal ban. Would you see a problem if Texas wrote a law that said it was legal to violate EPA regulations and a Republican President ignored the violations as a matter of policy? I would not.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I think they have a point, to be honest. That the federal government would be willing to enforce their pot laws against me but not other people just based on what state they live in seems unfair. That isn't really how this government is supposed to work. And aside from simple fairness, it makes enforcing the state and federal laws against pot much harder in neighboring states.

That said, I hope Nebraska and Oklahoma lose this case hard. Typical conservatives not being all gung ho for the concept of state's rights when a state is doing something they oppose.

I don't think they have a point. They could have other points, but their valid points would all be directed at the Federal Government. They have no standing to make any claim against Colorado however.

Colorado is not required, and cannot be required, to make weed illegal (there's a specific case on point from the Brady gun laws - state law enforcement cannot be ordered around by the Federal government). The law is clear that to the extent someone is prosecuted for violating the CSA in Federal court, Colorado's laws can't protect them. But the party refusing to enforce the CSA is the Federal Government, not Colorado.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, that's true. If there is a point it should be against the feds.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, that's true. If there is a point it should be against the feds.

I don't think complaints about selective enforcement even work that way. There have been laws repealed that are selectively enforced in a discriminatory way, but those cases have all been because someone was prosecuted for a violation.

Like, the executive ignoring EPA rules in a state that made defying them legal by state law, that would be lovely policy, but not illegal selective enforcement. Similarly not prosecuting CSA weed violations isn't illegal, but they're free to think it's lovely policy. Honestly I think it's kind of lovely policy too, though not for the same reasons (better would be to unschedule it).

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I used the environment as an example because the results of violating those rules can have very clear impact on other states . For instance, risking an oil spill in a coastal area. I can't see how those states shouldn't have some standing to redress that. (I'm no lawyer, so I have no idea if the law says they do or they don't have that standing.) I think the potential for increase in drug smuggling out of Colorado or Washington is potentially a similar issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If there was a federal ban on gay marriage the idea would be that you could not get gay married in any state. That's the point of a federal ban. Would you see a problem if Texas wrote a law that said it was legal to violate EPA regulations and a Republican President ignored the violations as a matter of policy? I would not.

Obviously I would not want that, but I don't see why that's unconstitutional. Congress can repeal the EPA regs at any time and I wouldn't want that either but that's obviously constitutional. If Congress thinks the President is shirking his duties, they have constitutional methods to compel him or remove him. If Congress doesn't give a poo poo about whether the law is enforced or not, well, that's what elections are for. If the voters don't care either then...well obviously that sucks but why should the Supreme Court step in to fix an election that didn't go my way?

Also I'm pretty sure Texas has already done that because the federal environmental laws are stronger than the state's. Or at least Rick Perry bitches about the EPA all the time. So we're already in a situation where something legal statewide is illegal federally and if Obama stopped enforcing the regs, should Louisiana sue to force Texas to change its state laws?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 19, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Selective enforcement via the administrative apparatus is a big gap in the constitutional structure of the government- I'm not sure what the long-term solution is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Discendo Vox posted:

Selective enforcement via the administrative apparatus is a big gap in the constitutional structure of the government- I'm not sure what the long-term solution is.

Sue the President in federal court if he doesn't enforce the law that you keep pleading with him not to enforce.

Duh, didn't you go to law school?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

If you're my old Fed Courts professor, the answer is "sue the executive for violation of the constitutional 'faithful execution' requirement."

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Has the court even agreed to actually hear the case?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

Has the court even agreed to actually hear the case?

Supremes get original jurisdiction for when states sue each other, I don't think it's discretionary in this case. Colorado has a lot of experience being sued by shittier neighboring states, Kansas v. Colorado is over 100 years old for example.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jagchosis posted:

Supremes get original jurisdiction for when states sue each other, I don't think it's discretionary in this case. Colorado has a lot of experience being sued by shittier neighboring states, Kansas v. Colorado is over 100 years old for example.

This is probably the reason that the case is structured this way, since there aren't too many other good reasons.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Hey, we get to see if Scalia will pull a Gonzales v. Raich redux.

Legal Principles v. Evil Weed, Round 2!

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Discendo Vox posted:

Be a parliamentary democracy?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Speaking of selective enforcement, I just learned that each case of wrongful imprisonment restitution in California has to be individually approved by the legislature, Roman-style. I guess you can argue this isn't about judicial independence, and even if it were, the Constitution doesn't explicitly mandate such a thing, and even if it did, it wouldn't apply to the states, but it is still bizarre to see this kind of bizarro Bill of Attainder in America in this the year 2766 ab urbe condita.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

eSports Chaebol posted:

Speaking of selective enforcement, I just learned that each case of wrongful imprisonment restitution in California has to be individually approved by the legislature, Roman-style. I guess you can argue this isn't about judicial independence, and even if it were, the Constitution doesn't explicitly mandate such a thing, and even if it did, it wouldn't apply to the states, but it is still bizarre to see this kind of bizarro Bill of Attainder in America in this the year 2766 ab urbe condita.

If you think restitution is a bill of attainder...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

That is in absence of a court order of course. I mean, its allocating new funds, the executive can't do that so...

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

ayn rand hand job posted:

If you think restitution is a bill of attainder...

Yeah. It's really not the same thing. And it does make some sense to have oversight at some level. Though I would think it would be a judicial function, not a legislative one.

hobbesmaster posted:

That is in absence of a court order of course. I mean, its allocating new funds, the executive can't do that so...

Oh. Nevermind. That clarifies my confusion. So it seems that they are actually giving more rights, as the legislature can effectively override a judicial denial.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Jagchosis posted:

Supremes get original jurisdiction for when states sue each other, I don't think it's discretionary in this case.

The Court considers its docket discretionary even for original jurisdiction cases.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

eviltastic posted:

The Court considers its docket discretionary even for original jurisdiction cases.
Even if they were objectively incorrect about this, no one would have the authority to tell them they are wrong.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Congress could start impeaching

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

twodot posted:

Even if they were objectively incorrect about this, no one would have the authority to tell them they are wrong.

Over the long term, the executive (with Congress) has the power to tell the court it is wrong, by nominating people who will overturn past precedent. In the short term, Congress has the authority to tell the Court it is wrong by impeaching justices for violating the Constitution. You can say neither is likely, but that's an issue of political will, not lack of authority.

Also, just so people don't think I'm saying Congress should do this, I have no informed opinion on the Supreme Court's discretion with respect to original jurisdiction cases.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Not My Leg posted:

Over the long term, the executive (with Congress) has the power to tell the court it is wrong, by nominating people who will overturn past precedent. In the short term, Congress has the authority to tell the Court it is wrong by impeaching justices for violating the Constitution. You can say neither is likely, but that's an issue of political will, not lack of authority.

Also, just so people don't think I'm saying Congress should do this, I have no informed opinion on the Supreme Court's discretion with respect to original jurisdiction cases.
Congress can impeach, but the cases would still have been ignored. The President can appoint, but the cases would still have been ignored (and was ignored for probably multiple decades). My point isn't about likelihood, it's about after the Court decides it doesn't want to hear your case, what recourse you have, which is none.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Congress could start impeaching

I can't wait for those hearings.

How do the justices treat contested fact issues in original jurisdiction cases?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I can't wait for those hearings.

How do the justices treat contested fact issues in original jurisdiction cases?

Appoint a magistrate to hear the case.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

twodot posted:

Congress can impeach, but the cases would still have been ignored. The President can appoint, but the cases would still have been ignored (and was ignored for probably multiple decades). My point isn't about likelihood, it's about after the Court decides it doesn't want to hear your case, what recourse you have, which is none.

I thought you were talking about the doctrine, not individual cases. If it's just an individual case, then I suppose Congress could still give you the result you wanted, either through legislation or amendment.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

Morton for a new hearing

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Morton for a new hearing

The tastiest adjudication.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stand by my phone posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kalman posted:

If you're my old Fed Courts professor, the answer is "sue the executive for violation of the constitutional 'faithful execution' requirement."

Wouldn't Nixon v. Fitzgerald mean that any such lawsuit would result in a "lol no gently caress off" ruling, though?