Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wow Rich Franklin™, are you drinking Xyience?
Yes, Bad Ultimate Fighter contestant™, it's really tasty.
*turns can to camera*
Let's go get you a can.

- Every early TUF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

fatherdog posted:

That baby knows what's up

Anyway, here's an interview with Rampage where he sounds slightly more grownup than usual -

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/quinton-rampage-jackson-on-past-disappointments-the-future-and-love-of-the-fight-122214

And here's an interesting rumor that may relate to why he's suddenly back with the UFC -

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/12/sources-monster-nearing-multi-year-multi-million-dollar-deal-with-ufc

kensei posted:

UFC Contract Rider, Quenton 'Rampage' Jackson

1. No Monster Trucks
2. Approved diets only, no 'Energy drinks and nothing else' fasts
3. Avoid pregnant women
4. UFC approved management only

:ohdear:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I drunkenly bought XYIENCE a few months back because Ronda Rousey was on the can.

It was not very good.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

willie_dee posted:

Merry Christmas lads

That's a nice picture of you and JT, Willie.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Trast posted:

That's a nice picture of you and JT, Willie.

Lmao, but if we could be serious for a moment, merry xmas guys

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Keg posted:

However: I like fights

Marching Powder posted:

me? i really like watching this sport and posting about it.

I like fights too. With the UFC schedule these days, there's 1-2 cards a week. No need for them all to last 6 hours.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
January 3rd is going to be my last MMA event in Germany and all I want for christmas is the guarantee of a ruined night for Jon Jones.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

1st AD posted:

I like fights too. With the UFC schedule these days, there's 1-2 cards a week. No need for them all to last 6 hours.

You need to man up and stop being a wimp

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

willie_dee posted:

Merry Christmas lads

All I want for Christmas is that man in the UFC.

Happy Holidays, friends.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

1st AD posted:

The UFC would probably be a lot better off with shorter cards except for ones on FS1 or Fight Pass. Like who wants to sit through a 13 fight card? Instead they should make PPV's like the old ones where there were like 8 fights, but maybe now they can just arbitrarily make co-mains have the option of 5 rounds. Leave the super long cards for all those new markets or for TV.

I get why they were overloading their cards because they owed everyone fights, but now that they can put poo poo on Fight Pass there's no reason for b-league scrubs to be making GBS threads up a UFC PPV.

I wouldn't mind the 13 fight cards if they didn't run until 1am EST*.

*AKA God's timezone.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
On the subject of fights no one watches, are there any fightpass cards in January or February? The 1 card or so we got per month made it worth the 10 bucks for me, but if we're going into a drought period I'll just save my money instead.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The UFC can't charge as much for tickets if they do not offer 5 hours of insane violence.

(I would rather not have such long cards but it's fine)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

coconono posted:

I wouldn't mind the 13 fight cards if they didn't run until 1am EST*.

*AKA God's timezone.

If you lived in REAL AMERICA the card would be done at 11:30 most events. However, it will be -700 degrees outside and you wouldn't have had anything else to do anyway.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

1st AD posted:

I like the amount of fights they have now, and I'd like to see them do some Metamoris stuff on Fightpass or during prelims, too.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If you don't feel like watching two guys you've never heard of on fight pass, you don't have to. I don't see why this is hard for people, or why people whine about how there's too many events they don't want to watch. If you don't want to watch TUF China or whatever you don't have to, it's not like the PPVs or Fox cards are any weaker than they've been historically. There have always been terrible PPV cards as long as fighters have been getting injured.

not that PSP has a lot of that oversaturation whining

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Keg posted:

Honestly I want UFC to financially support Metamoris and maybe throw a few old men wearing tight lycra into the octagon to hug on the ground during prelims or something on top of showing other people I haven't heard of on Fightpass prelims

Dana Bom-Ba-Ye featuring twelve hours of pro wrestling and kickboxing fights every New Year's Eve

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Dana Bom-Ba-Ye featuring twelve hours of pro wrestling and kickboxing fights every New Year's Eve

Hire Bas Rutten to yell at me.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
And I should win prizes for watching.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
So apparently there's been another class-action suit filed against the UFC, by Dennis Hallman and Javier Vasquez.. It's being represented by the same law firms, makes the same complaints, but has been filed separately. I will not even pretend to understand why this would be the case.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fatherdog posted:

So apparently there's been another class-action suit filed against the UFC, by Dennis Hallman and Javier Vasquez.. It's being represented by the same law firms, makes the same complaints, but has been filed separately. I will not even pretend to understand why this would be the case.

A guy who was given win and show money after missing weight for the second time in three fights and not fighting, then cut in the gentlest possible terms, and a guy who was never cut and retired from fighting because of injuries. Okay.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

If you don't feel like watching two guys you've never heard of on fight pass, you don't have to. I don't see why this is hard for people, or why people whine about how there's too many events they don't want to watch. If you don't want to watch TUF China or whatever you don't have to, it's not like the PPVs or Fox cards are any weaker than they've been historically. There have always been terrible PPV cards as long as fighters have been getting injured.

not that PSP has a lot of that oversaturation whining

PPV has been watered down somewhat because main card openers used to have good fights and now you often have those fights headlining FS1 prelims or Fight Pass main events.

I don't think all cards should be shorter, but they could probably do okay with shorter PPV cards but giving them better fights. I also think they should open up 5 rounds to any fight they feel like instead of main events only.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I can't read it right now but didn't Dana White personally give Dennis Hallman $50k when he came in over weight for his last fight and would have suffered a horrible beating?

Yeah, let's sue that company.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

PPV has been watered down somewhat because main card openers used to have good fights and now you often have those fights headlining FS1 prelims or Fight Pass main events.

I don't think all cards should be shorter, but they could probably do okay with shorter PPV cards but giving them better fights. I also think they should open up 5 rounds to any fight they feel like instead of main events only.

UFC 182 PPV Opener: Lombard vs Burkman. A ranked dude vs a guy who should at least be a tough fight, if Lombard finishes he'll probably get put in a title eliminator.
One year ago: UFC 168 PPV Opener: Brandao vs Poirier. A dude who was like #10 vs nobody, Poirier finished in the first fight and got to fight Akira Corassani.
Two years ago: UFC 155 PPV Opener: Derek Brunson vs Chris Leben: Oh my God who cares. I think Brunson was an injury replacement but not for a ranked fighter.
Three years ago: UFC 141 PPV Opener: Jimmy "Jesse Eisenberg" Hettes vs Nam Phucking Phan. I think Matt Riddle might have been expected to be on the card instead?

I could keep picking these, but I don't really see a difference no matter what time frame you pick. The only time you have really lame fights on PPV is when someone's been injured and they move a fight up.

Bubba Smith posted:

I can't read it right now but didn't Dana White personally give Dennis Hallman $50k when he came in over weight for his last fight and would have suffered a horrible beating?

Of all the people who could sue the UFC those two are just inexplicable.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bubba Smith posted:

It takes balls to stand up for what you believe in.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

1st AD posted:

shorter cards will give them more options on injury replacements. But then again, we'd be robbed of such funny events like a Barrista losing his job to get the poo poo kicked out of him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I like how the one guy cherry picked a good card and then forgot that Hector Urbina opened up a recent UFC PPV

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

I like how the one guy cherry picked a good card and then forgot that Hector Urbina opened up a recent UFC PPV

I didn't "cherry pick", I took the next scheduled PPV and then looked back a year at a time. Cherry picking would be if I, for example, went back two PPVs to choose one that had two fights completely cancelled due to injury. UFC 180 was originally scheduled to be opened by Erik Perez and Marcus Brimage, which isn't a great fight but would be comparable to historical PPV openers.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The barrista now has 3 UFC wins and had 4 finishes before the UFC. It was a funny replacement at the time, but I'm pretty sure everyone including Cummins and his camp knew he was losing and he's not nearly as bad as that fight would indicate.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I didn't "cherry pick", I took the next scheduled PPV and then looked back a year at a time. Cherry picking would be if I, for example, went back two PPVs to choose one that had two fights completely cancelled due to injury. UFC 180 was originally scheduled to be opened by Erik Perez and Marcus Brimage, which isn't a great fight but would be comparable to historical PPV openers.

Cards are shittier and more bloated as whole now than years ago, it's an indefensible point to argue otherwise. Saying "skip bad fights" is an easy way out, but I'd rather not have to track down the 2 cool fights out of 13 the next day. Also, anyone who can watch 13 UFC FN Brazil fights in a row is borderline insane.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 23, 2014

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

shorter cards will give them more options on injury replacements. But then again, we'd be robbed of such funny events like a Barrista losing his job to get the poo poo kicked out of him.

The barista, or fights like Dillishaw vs Soto, only happen when a division has no depth whatsoever and last-minute injury callups have to happen. Also Cummins is a really good fighter and definitely belongs in the UFC even if he did lose to Cormier.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Bubba Smith posted:

No, he gave the guy who beat him the $50k, because hallman wasn't wearing any clothing. The $50k was a reward for getting the fight off tv quickly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Russell Doane recently was a PPV opener. Who the gently caress is that?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Russell Doane recently was a PPV opener. Who the gently caress is that?

Chris Clements was on a PPV opener in 2012. And so on. There have always been bad PPVs and good PPVs. I really don't think they're any worse now than they were in 2011-2012, except for the fact that sometimes a guy will have like four fights in the UFC and no one has ever heard of him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

No, he gave the guy who beat him the $50k, because hallman wasn't wearing any clothing. The $50k was a reward for getting the fight off tv quickly.

No you're thinking of the fight before, which was the Brian Ebersole match that happened years ago. I'm talking about :

"They are cutting me," he wrote. "Dana gave me my show and win pay to help me deal with the mountain in front of me. Now I have to go make weight a couple times on the regional circuit. I'll be back to the UFC though, I always am."

"I'm having some personal issues at home," Hallman said. "I'm not fit to fight. I told Dana [White] what my issues were. He understands family matters, and he was cool with me not fighting."

And if I'm Dennis Hallman I'm definitely suing the company who did that for me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

The barista, or fights like Dillishaw vs Soto, only happen when a division has no depth whatsoever and last-minute injury callups have to happen.

Cards are only bad when there are bad fighters fighting on them, glad we agree.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Soto is good

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

Soto is good

Yeah, I don't like how people are always giving TJ Dillashaw poo poo for going 5 rounds with Joe Soto. The story from that should have been that Joe Soto went 5 rounds and hung in there much better than Barao.

I'm sure the Joe Soto that got his poo poo wrecked by Joe Warren is still in there somewhere, but for now I'm going to assume Soto is the top 10 guy he was a few years ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fat Twitter Man posted:

The barista, or fights like Dillishaw vs Soto, only happen when a division has no depth whatsoever and last-minute injury callups have to happen. Also Cummins is a really good fighter and definitely belongs in the UFC even if he did lose to Cormier.

Depth had nothing to do with Dillishaw/Soto. Unless you book contenders on every show where the champion is fighting you can have all the depth in the world and you will end up in a bind. There just isn't enough time to cut weight with 24 hours notice to fight.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm sure the Joe Soto that got his poo poo wrecked by Joe Warren is still in there somewhere, but for now I'm going to assume Soto is the top 10 guy he was a few years ago.

Joe Warren is the Bellator Bantamweight Champion. Also, he's like a lighter Diego Sanchez, a wild, powerful, unpredictable guy who can give even the best fighters fits because of his dumb style.
Sorry, I just don't like seeing Joe Warren cast in a negative light.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

And if I'm Dennis Hallman I'm definitely suing the company who did that for me.

At least it shows that he doesn't have stockholm syndrome.

And really those kinds of donations are the same as the backroom bonuses. They make a big deal out of the few times that they're super generous to people to help whitewash the times that people get hosed over, as if being nice to a guy one time balances out the time that some other guy got screwed. It would be just much better if they were decent and consistent.

e. And Campbell MacLaren just told me on twitter that the Beneteau eleventh-hour replacement story with Mark Schultz was BS - that Beneteau's injury was known a month in advance, and that Mark had been contacted at least a week in advance.

quote:

Campbell McLaren ‏@campbellcombate 4m4 minutes ago

.@Mr_Hackler @mmaencyclopedia @ArtDavie & I remember it differently I talked to him at least a week prior I talked to Dave a month before.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Also Cummins is a really good fighter and definitely belongs in the UFC even if he did lose to Cormier.

I don't think that's an "even if" statement, really. Daniel Cormier is either the best or second-best light heavyweight in the world. I would expect most really good fighters to lose to him. It's like saying "Mark Hunt is a really good fighter, even if he did lose to JDS".

• Locked thread