Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Rotation Confusion posted:

This is a sandbox game. If you need an endgame "something to do" then the game isn't for you. The point of the early and midgame phases are not "get to the endgame."

Yeah everyone knows it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dW9pUA1BI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Elite: Dangerous is an outstanding early access game but if they don't expand the content quickly or appropriately I think they're gonna strangle the baby in the crib.
The Feds have their own story-line stuff happening right now as well, you know.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pro tip before you buy your ASP, make sure you have an 2-3 extra millions to upgrade it decently after you buy it. I only kept under one million extra and i now realize i need 1.5 millions for an all class C modules to make it decent to fly.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm actually pretty happy that I can only have influence on galactic events, not control. I don't wanna be space pope, I wanna be the guy that gets space pope his smokes from off-world.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

got the trackir today, feels very worth it so far over the old DIY and a webcam, i can see the trackir software picking up IR sunlight from the windows and deciding not to track it, so that alone is a huge improvement. Just using the hat clip right now in the middle of the day and the tracking is far superior and smoother to freetrack

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My problem with this line of thinking is, none of that has to end while player-conquerable and managed space is endless in drama, motivation, and creates a strong meta-game aspect. If people don't want to deal with the inevitable drama that this creates- they can literally turn it off and go solo mode or friends only.

Elite: Dangerous is an outstanding early access game but if they don't expand the content quickly or appropriately I think they're gonna strangle the baby in the crib.

That sort of drama exists already in the form of the player-affected faction influence system, which is both tied into the dev-written storyline and exists completely independent of it; goons chose a faction in Jotunheim and are actively increasing its influence.

What you're asking for already exists, except for the arbitrary step of letting you name your faction. That's it. That's the one thing you aren't getting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Siets posted:

How do I read this spreadsheet? The legend isn't very well laid out to be interpretable to a newer player. Can you walk through a scenario or two on this spreadsheet where I might identify a good rare goods target, and then identify a good selling point?

Ok. First, I can't vouch for it being 100% accurate, but it hasn't screwed me over yet!

-The supply rate is how many items will spawn when you get there to buy rare goods. Once you buy rare goods, you're stuck with that number until you go sell them. I've gotten lucky a time or two by relogging and buying more goods, but I think that's a bug, not a feature.
-Price: Cost of rare good. Don't go to a rare good place where the goods cost 10K each if you have 30K in the bank. You'll still make a profit, but won't be able to buy a large load.
-Item: whatever rare good you're buying, doesn't matter except knowing what to pick in the commodities market, since there are a lot of goods in general and the rare one might not be immediately obvious.
-Distance (Ls): Distance, in Light Seconds, from the hyperspace exit to the dock where you can buy the rare good. Shorter is better, for time's sake.
-Station: The name of the station you'll want to navigate to within the system in order to buy the rare good.
-System: The name of the solar system you need to get to to buy the rare good.

To the right of each system, you'll see the range to another system that also stocks rare goods. Go for green, green is good!

So that's why I like Leesti. It has two rare goods that spawn, and it's 160 LY from 39 Tauri, which has OK spawn rates of its own rare good. Fancier people will have some convoluted route that works better, but I just hop back and forth between the two, because it's easy to do while I'm watching Netflix.

Does that answer your question?

edit: If you're far as gently caress from Leesti, find a route that has a start point close to you for your first run. Use the profits to make it efficient to travel to Leesti by buying/upgrading your ship to travel farther.

ethanol posted:

got the trackir today, feels very worth it so far over the old DIY and a webcam, i can see the trackir software picking up IR sunlight from the windows and deciding not to track it, so that alone is a huge improvement. Just using the hat clip right now in the middle of the day and the tracking is far superior and smoother to freetrack

Using a free-track system for flight sims convinced me that it was cool enough to warrant getting the real deal. It's neato.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 23, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hey drink what is your favorite ship?

Mine is the wedged shaped ship named after a snake.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

Hey drink what is your favorite ship?

Mine is the wedged shaped ship named after a snake.

Where's that jpg of the burning Dorito when you need it...?

Also, Viper is OP as it can reach speeds of over 2k in normal space, confirmed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktD3wEPO68 Look at this obvious atrocity, Braben, and suffer as I issue a CHARGEBACK. Gosh.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 23, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Anyway, I do like those little red lines beams leave as you carve space assholes :allears:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

grilldos posted:

That sort of drama exists already in the form of the player-affected faction influence system, which is both tied into the dev-written storyline and exists completely independent of it; goons chose a faction in Jotunheim and are actively increasing its influence.

What you're asking for already exists, except for the arbitrary step of letting you name your faction. That's it. That's the one thing you aren't getting.

No? I get it. Infact going to Jotunheim and flying around for a bit is exactly what led me to the conclusion they should have player-owned areas of space. You raise and lower reputation mechanics through missions and who you kill and so on. That's how you influence the game world.

It's much less compelling than a group owning a system and having say on what goes on in it, requiring trade and goods to keep it functioning, being vulnerable to player attack, and so on. Look I don't wanna keep the topic going I'll just leave it at that.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
There's one mission from Frontier I want them to implement: assassination missions.
I loved those so, sooo loving much, that I got really really good at doing them, and got Admiral/Prince in both factions eventually.
Basically, the mission was "John Smith will dock at Sirocco Station next tuesday at 1400hs, go kill him".
What I usually did, was make sure the mission's mentioned port was planetary. Then I went there, and landed on the planet's surface, a certain distance away from the port (if you were too close, you would scare the target off). Now, here's the magic: if you killed your target near a port, you'd get the police on your rear end. So I waited until the target arrived, landed, and then left, and jumped to hyperspace. I had an Asp with good range, so I could always follow their jump. Then I loving killed them in deep space with no police to see it :getin:

I really want to be able to do those missions in this new Elite, since I'm having so much fun just doing trading and hauling missions I'm sure it'll be a loving blast to do those again.

Also yeah, nuclear bombing outposts for the Feds, taking spy photographs without suffering damage. All good fun. Just give me more mission types, I don't need no FPS poo poo. Also a good autopilot would be the bomb, aligning the FSD gets old after a while. Just want to tell the game "yeah dock here" and I watch while it gets to the station and docks automatically (though of course as a Frontier veteran I enjoy docking at dangerous speeds while doing stunts as a hobby, just not 50 times a day).

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 23, 2014

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No? I get it. Infact going to Jotunheim and flying around for a bit is exactly what led me to the conclusion they should have player-owned areas of space. You raise and lower reputation mechanics through missions and who you kill and so on. That's how you influence the game world.

It's much less compelling than a group owning a system and having say on what goes on in it, requiring trade and goods to keep it functioning, being vulnerable to player attack, and so on. Look I don't wanna keep the topic going I'll just leave it at that.

No thanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did they show up as "Clean" before you scanned them with a kill warrant scanner? If so, yes, it is illegal to attack them, because they are not wanted in the local jurisdiction.

If you're talking about the "normal" scan, than I don't believe its intentional, but currently shooting a wanted target turns that whole faction red/hostile in that instance, and sometimes this can cause clean members to attack you in retribution (Which can include the space cops).

I don't have a killwarrant scanner, just the starter sidewinder set up.

I had one hell of a mission last night though that provoked my question.

Looking for a pirate that I have a contract for and I went to a resource ring in a system. Didn't see anyone, but saw some lasers shooting in the distance. Went over to them, got in the fight and helped another guy take out a pirate and got the bounty. Then saw some other lasers in the distance, did the same thing again and got a bounty. Then saw another pirate, showed as "wanted" in my scanner (not a kill scanner) and I said WTF, I'll take him out as he was just in a sidewinder too. Took a shot, I got a fine/bounty of 300 credits show on my screen. Whelp. I tried to disengage, but he kept coming after me (is there a way to give up?).

Eventually, I figured I'd have to take him out. He put up a decent fight but then I started to see him taking fire from another ship and it was a federal police ship. Got dead and I received notice of bounty. 5 seconds later I was getting fired on by the police ship. It was beating the absolute hell out of me. I tried to frame shift out but I was frantically hitting the wrong buttons, my windshield blew out, ship was beat to crap and I finally engaged shift. I remembered a dock was supposed to be nearby (Wholer Station?) but I wasn't sure where, so while trying to evade fire I made a navigation lock so I could at least use my drive crosshairs to try and line it up and looked for it out the window (or what was the window) as I was moving. There were too many dots of light and I ended up having to roll over to look out my still intact top window where the HUD was still working. Got it identified, got out of frameshift and asked for docking permission. About 1 minute left of oxygen left in my beat up sidewinder at this time. Then I notice I am perpendicular to the station and didn't know which end was the entry. Do a hail Mary and picked an end and narrowly avoided a bigger ship coming out in the airlock. Got in and atmosphere was replenished with 20 seconds to spare.

I really need a more powerful ship and a killwarrant scanner but I made it. :cool:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

life is killing me posted:

Yeah, I'm going to explore some more instead. I've got a souped-up 'Winder with only a few things not upgraded because they are too expensive to do so, and I think I need to hang out in more than just Eravate, Kini and Frigaha. I've been hanging out in those mostly because I can expect the easy kinds of missions in those stations typically, but they are also busy systems and sometimes it takes forever for me to get clearance granted to dock at any of the stations and outposts in the system.

How does cartography work? Do I need a discovery scanner to actually be able to sell maps or what?

The discovery scanner finds stuff for you within 500 light seconds (for the basic one, there are 1k lights and 'whole system ones if you're rich), then you just get within ~30ls of one, target it and face it and you'll 'scan' it after a few seconds.

Then when you dock at a station go to the Cartographic Association option and you can sell this scan data (as long as it's from 20LY+ away) for money.

My dude has probably close to 30k of data from about 9 systems (lovely systems with just a star and nothing else are worth like 600 space bucks, bleh) but I haven't gotten far enough away from my starting system to sell any of it yet.

Oh, if your ship gets destroyed you lose the scan data.

Also I strongly suggest investing the 300 spacebux for a lovely class E fuel scoop (I swapped my cargo bay for it). Never having to pay for fuel is a good thing.

e: You can literally do this as soon as you start the game (well, and get comfortable flying/traveling) and it's a pretty awesome feeling to use your (basic, layman) knowledge of orbital mechanics to figure out where that second star should be in this binary system.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 23, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is my guide to mining

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Not sure how long it will last but I'm making pre-gamma levels of profit from trading today.

Had one route making 1600 per ton profit one way and 1000 the other way, until I had emptied one of the stations of its palladium supply.

Don't know if it's purely down to the fixes they did today or if they reset the economy entirely at the same time.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Were the rare good price plateaus changed? That old formula says it flattens at 16k but I just sold some for 22k and 24k respectively.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Come back Sorbago warzones I miss you already. I don't want to fight in space Detroit Durius.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Sylink posted:

Were the rare good price plateaus changed? That old formula says it flattens at 16k but I just sold some for 22k and 24k respectively.

How can it flatten there? Ridley Scott station sells Leathery Eggs for 24590c.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Drinkfist posted:

How can it flatten there? Ridley Scott station sells Leathery Eggs for 24590c.

Incidentally, this logo was seen on freighters loading goods at the station

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Weyland-Yutani is probably a poster-child among Federation Corporations.

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Come back Sorbago warzones I miss you already. I don't want to fight in space Detroit Durius.

The Sorbago conflict is over?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Durius is huge. The only stations are 287K LY from the warp in star. I will have a map done in about 5 or 10 more minutes you can buy. There are closer war zones near the first few planets.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Durius Trip Report: loving combat zones are 260,000ls away from the star. And the stations nearby are not owned by the Empire.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if it has been posted elsewhere, but the official game manual is out. Link shows in the news once you log in and I don't think I saw it before.

http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/website/assets/ELITE-DANGEROUS-GAME-MANUAL.pdf

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mlmp08 posted:

Ok. First, I can't vouch for it being 100% accurate, but it hasn't screwed me over yet!

-The supply rate is how many items will spawn when you get there to buy rare goods. Once you buy rare goods, you're stuck with that number until you go sell them. I've gotten lucky a time or two by relogging and buying more goods, but I think that's a bug, not a feature.
-Price: Cost of rare good. Don't go to a rare good place where the goods cost 10K each if you have 30K in the bank. You'll still make a profit, but won't be able to buy a large load.
-Item: whatever rare good you're buying, doesn't matter except knowing what to pick in the commodities market, since there are a lot of goods in general and the rare one might not be immediately obvious.
-Distance (Ls): Distance, in Light Seconds, from the hyperspace exit to the dock where you can buy the rare good. Shorter is better, for time's sake.
-Station: The name of the station you'll want to navigate to within the system in order to buy the rare good.
-System: The name of the solar system you need to get to to buy the rare good.

To the right of each system, you'll see the range to another system that also stocks rare goods. Go for green, green is good!

So that's why I like Leesti. It has two rare goods that spawn, and it's 160 LY from 39 Tauri, which has OK spawn rates of its own rare good. Fancier people will have some convoluted route that works better, but I just hop back and forth between the two, because it's easy to do while I'm watching Netflix.

Does that answer your question?

edit: If you're far as gently caress from Leesti, find a route that has a start point close to you for your first run. Use the profits to make it efficient to travel to Leesti by buying/upgrading your ship to travel farther.

Using a free-track system for flight sims convinced me that it was cool enough to warrant getting the real deal. It's neato.

This is super helpful, thank you. Yeah, now that you explain it out a bit more, I can see why Leesti is good.

At first I was mostly just confused by the colored legend at the top left of the spreadsheet. Things like Under 50 Ly (accumulate rare goods) were throwing me off. It made me think you want to buy in those specific locations, then find a different sell station altogether. I also didn't know what (good FSD) meant. I know FSD is frame shift drive, but why is it "good" in the "maybe" column? loving weird legend is all. :shobon:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Third World Reggin posted:

Here is my guide to mining

Printed thanks

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Holy poo poo I found a machine that lets you repair stuff while in the field! No more slowly dieing because my thrusters went off line!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

Holy poo poo I found a machine that lets you repair stuff while in the field! No more slowly dieing because my thrusters went off line!

The repair module itself says it takes 'ammo' though (at least in the description) so it's not a permanent solution.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

Remember to replenish the ammo it uses if you need it, though. Also I think there was a bug were you had to have the thing switched off until you need it to prevent it from working constantly and wasting your expensive ammo. (This is from the Elite-forums, so beware.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Someone on the dev team is a Farscape fan :3:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

WarLocke posted:

Someone on the dev team is a Farscape fan :3:

Aeryn Sun should not be harmless :colbert:

Edit: but she is wanted if you catch my drift

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

Aeryn Sun should not be harmless :colbert:

Edit: but she is wanted if you catch my drift

:q:

For the goon who was having trouble finding a scoopable star the other night, I found this on the official forums:

Scoopable star class (Best to worst)
A, B, F, O, G, K, M

Not Scoopable L, T, Y

e: How to Scoop like a Boss :getin:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 23, 2014

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

WarLocke posted:

:q:

For the goon who was having trouble finding a scoopable star the other night, I found this on the official forums:

Scoopable star class (Best to worst)
A, B, F, O, G, K, M

Not Scoopable L, T, Y

e: How to Scoop like a Boss :getin:

Normal scooping is scooping like a boss?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Normal scooping is scooping like a boss?

I guess I've been doing it wrong then :negative:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am playing as a noble pirate. I steal poo poo but also go bounty hunting. I try not to kill clean traders but just take their things. I interdict all pilots forever.

edit: What is the best ship in terms of utility slots? I want an FSD scanner, a kill warrant scanner, and a cargo scanner at least.

double edit: Destorying someone's FSD doesn't disable jumping it straight up kills them? :psyduck:

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 23, 2014

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

double edit: Destorying someone's FSD doesn't disable jumping it straight up kills them? :psyduck:

Would you spend entire days getting to the nearest station? I'm picturing the pilot just saying "gently caress this" and hitting the self destruct button every time that happens

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Do the faction/station missions get better payouts or is it forever stuck on stuff like 8k to deliver some fish or 150k to fight an anacdoda?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I'm in Wolf 424 at the moment in a moderately upgraded Sidewinder.

Having a blast just basically flying around different systems checking out USSs and occasionally having a crack at the people in them.

Flew to GL Virginis and found a USS with a fuckton of Prototype Tech floating around which I shucked to the nearest black market for just over 4,000 CR a pop. That'll do.

Seems like it's gonna be a fairly long time until I get out of the Sidewinder though - I find myself kinda tempted to start shifting these rare goods, once I work out where the nearest one is to Wolf 424/Sol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Thanks to those that answered my post respectfully. A nice gently caress you to the defensive nerds about their space game of choice. Basically everyone who takes any suggestion deviating from what this game is as a full on "Remake EVE" comment is a giant rear end in a top hat.

This sounds like it's a pass for me. I don't need an end game or even a narrative, a sandbox is fine if what I can do has an effect on the world and other things I can do. This game doesn't seem to offer that so oh well. That's too bad, I'm dying for a space trader game that is a nice middle between spreadsheets and space rangers hd.

• Locked thread