Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It begins: http://jalopnik.com/first-hellcat-sold-in-colorado-wrecked-an-hour-after-pu-1673994344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Widely-available Hellcat drivetrains from rear-end destroyed cars thanks to hilarious oversteer? :getin:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Someone more enterprising than me needs to print up some Save The Hellcats t-shirts. You'll probably make enough $$ to buy a Hellcat of your own to wrap around a tree.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

blk posted:

Back to the thread, here's the press release for the new CTS-V. I guess it's automatic only?

Wow I think this is the quickest Ive gone from really excited to really disappointed on new car news :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Police say what can only be described as a large milkshake cup was seen fleeing the scene.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Franco Caution posted:

Wow I think this is the quickest Ive gone from really excited to really disappointed on new car news :(

Everyone is moving away from manual transmissions, it shouldn't be a surprise any more. I honestly prefer a good auto transmission with a set of flappy paddles.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GT350 is stick only. :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

GT350 is stick only. :shrug:

so is the FiST, FoST, and ecoboost fiesta. It's a shame ford won't nut up and put a stick in the f-150.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Looks really good:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr3VKRRdv8I

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

God drat GM why won't you put a manual transmission in this 640hp $80k large sedan that will be purchased by middle age guys?

And why can't I get a manual in a 4x4 truck, slipping the clutch while trying to get up a boat ramp or tow a heavy trailer adds to the purity of the driving experience!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wheeee posted:

And why can't I get a manual in a 4x4 truck, slipping the clutch while trying to get up a boat ramp or tow a heavy trailer adds to the purity of the driving experience!

I mean you have a valid point, but a lot of the time I see that request it's in the context of discussing how (2WD) pickups can be had with a powerful V8 and a not excessive amount of weight for under $25k, and if they had a manual option they would make a fantastic poor man's muscle car, or base for someone who wanted to build a drag car on the cheap.

Then again, that would probably undercut the market for the actual muscle cars to some extent.

E: That is to say, the people clamoring for manual pickups aren't envisioning using them for traditional "truck things".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I get it but dang I feel like including the manual was kind of a differentiation from the Mercedes and bmws.

Like that first gen v felt a lot edgier and younger than the Ms and AMGs of the time. It had the manual that lopy idle, a little tighter ride the NA v8 and that stealth / diamond shard look. The next two gens are objectively better cars but they've lost something.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fucknag posted:

I mean you have a valid point, but a lot of the time I see that request it's in the context of discussing how (2WD) pickups can be had with a powerful V8 and a not excessive amount of weight for under $25k, and if they had a manual option they would make a fantastic poor man's muscle car, or base for someone who wanted to build a drag car on the cheap.

Then again, that would probably undercut the market for the actual muscle cars to some extent.

E: That is to say, the people clamoring for manual pickups aren't envisioning using them for traditional "truck things".

The auto is a better base for a drag truck.

There's basically zero reason whatsoever to have a manual full size truck, other than internet complaining.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
A manual truck usually loses a clutch from abuse, an auto is an expensive repair. Also, auto's are boring as gently caress to drive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

There's basically zero reason whatsoever to have a manual full size truck, other than internet complaining.

The biggest reason is pretty much every 4 speed auto in a half tun up until now has been a stupid, slow lump. Even worse is current half tons always seem to be in a race to the highest gear. Some of them it's a 10 second argument to get them back down into the gear you want.

It's worse when you're towing even a small trailer in 6th, hit a small hill or hit the throttle for a quick pass, it bang, you're near redline in 3rd and the truck starts searching for 4th. Even in "manual" mode, most of them jump from 6th to 3rd when you ask anything of them.

With my dodge, even towing 12,000lbs on the highway with only 245hp/505 ft/lbs rarely had the need to leave 6th, and even with truck and trailer sunk up to the runningboards in snow never had a problem getting the wheels turning. Back in those days, the only transmission that came behind the high output cummins was a 6 speed. Now you get the lowest spec engine with the stick.

Wheeee posted:

God drat GM why won't you put a manual transmission in this 640hp $80k large sedan that will be purchased by middle age guys?

The words of a man who's never put a truck to work.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

"Because I want what I prefer"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

The big reason to not have manuals at all in these cars is because they're not a popular choice, and having fewer choices makes design, engineering, and industrialized manufacturing cheaper: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/03/avoidable-contact-airbags-killed-the-am-radio-star/

quote:

In a world where most of the “little parts” are made by (supposedly) faceless people toiling at faceless suppliers, assembly time has become the Holy Grail of auto manufacturers. There was a time when it took days for a car to travel from one end of the massive River Rouge plant to the other; today it takes Ford thirteen hours to build a Fiesta. There are hundreds of assembly steps required to build that Fiesta, so you can be assured that each one has been massaged into near-perfection. If it takes an extra thirty seconds to determine which radio should go into a slot, it might be cheaper to give everybody the “better” radio and standardize production, particularly when the “better” radio barely costs any more than the “regular” one. These kinds of decisions are made all the way up and down the line, with the end result being that no car sold in this country today comes with a plain AM radio. What’s the point? Your Chinese radio manufacturer couldn’t save you more than a dollar or two, perhaps less, by pulling the FM functionality out of the radio, and your assembly time might go up as a result. And just like that, the AM radio is gone, as dead as the non-prismatic rearview mirror or the fixed-back bench seat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm still curious about the 2015 Focus with the 1.0 Liter Eco-Boost engine that is going to be manual-only. Is there really a market for that car in the US?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

smackfu posted:

I'm still curious about the 2015 Focus with the 1.0 Liter Eco-Boost engine that is going to be manual-only. Is there really a market for that car in the US?

Nope, Ford is going to hold this up as an example that Americans don't care about fuel economy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Nope, Ford is going to hold this up as an example that Americans don't care about fuel economy.

Gas is under $2 a gallon now, and therefore will be forever. Time to bring back the V10 excursion.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Gas is under $2 a gallon now, and therefore will be forever. Time to bring back the V10 excursion.

Where is gas under $2?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PCOS Bill posted:

Where is gas under $2?
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
Much of middle america.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Figures I'm in a third highest bracket area. Oh well, it's warm enough I've been riding my motorcycle 3 out of 4 days anyhow

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Figures I'm in a third highest bracket area. Oh well, it's warm enough I've been riding my motorcycle 3 out of 4 days anyhow

ok, then maybe you should just the v8.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Buffalo. :negative:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey, gas may be super expensive, but at least the weather is nice :haw:

Gas here in alberta is the equivalent of about $2.41 US/gallon, which is pretty crazy for canada. It completely validates my life choices of owning a bunch of stuff that's really good at destroying a lot of gas really quickly

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

Hey, gas may be super expensive, but at least the weather is nice :haw:

Gas here in alberta is the equivalent of about $2.41 US/gallon, which is pretty crazy for canada. It completely validates my life choices of owning a bunch of stuff that's really good at destroying a lot of gas really quickly

I hit the jackpot buying low on a massive v8 gas guzzling SUV last month, right before the dollar and gas tanked in Canada.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

D C posted:

I hit the jackpot buying low on a massive v8 gas guzzling SUV last month, right before the dollar and gas tanked in Canada.

My last 3 vehicles combined total 19.2 liters, 24 cylinders and a turbo, and cost $4,000 total.

Unfortunately, one is a diesel, and that's still $1.10

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Hey man you can save 10 cents at delta sonic you just gotta give em your personal checking account #.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Diesel is still almost $3 a gallon though :negative:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snowmobile?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MrYenko posted:

Snowmobile?
Theres actually no snow outside anymore, it melted not even 3 days after the storm hit. We had 60 degrees and rain a few days later. Now you just see a little snow on the ground here and there where it was plowed or shoveled up real high.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

smackfu posted:

Dealers that want people in the door for a cheap car and can upsell them to a more profitable model.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

fknlo posted:

Diesel is still almost $3 a gallon though :negative:

I thought Diesel prices are slower to change compared to gasoline prices. I remember whenever gas shot up in price it took weeks for diesel to follow and vice versa.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Isn't diesel pricing in the US affected by winter demand fluctuations for heating oil, though?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Dealers that want people in the door for a cheap car and can upsell them to a more profitable model.

The 1.0 EB isn't the cheap model, it's mid-pack priced out of the various Fiesta trims. And actually has fewer options than the other mid-trim models. You're paying more money to get a (more powerful, more efficient) 3 cylinder engine and a stick vs. the four pot and automatic on the base trim Fiesta.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The 1.0 EB isn't the cheap model, it's mid-pack priced out of the various Fiesta trims. And actually has fewer options than the other mid-trim models. You're paying more money to get a (more powerful, more efficient) 3 cylinder engine and a stick vs. the four pot and automatic on the base trim Fiesta.

I wonder if there's Ford Racing flashes for the 1.0 engine, ha! The Focus ST can gain 90 ft-lbs from a flash that won't lose warranty. Good luck with 360 torques in a FWD car, though.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-boost-is-on-ford-racing-offering-ecoboost-reflashes-that-wont-kill-your-warranty/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A lot of dynos/reviewers suggest the 2.3 runs out of turbo at the higher end. I wonder if that's a product of turbo size or a super conservative tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

A lot of dynos/reviewers suggest the 2.3 runs out of turbo at the higher end. I wonder if that's a product of turbo size or a super conservative tune.

Probably turbo size, all the EB engines (including the V6) run super-small turbos so they spool fast for low-end torque. Fantastic for every day drivability, but leaves a lot on the table in terms of top end.