Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Ddraig posted:

Far Cry 4 is trying to be two different things and not really being very good at either of them.

It should focus on being one thing and making that good rather than making two lackluster halves that make a disappointing whole.

I think I gave up after the Prison. That was a very poo poo, unfun segment. Especially as you have to hide from these things when you've got a perfectly serviceable piece of metal you can use to smash their stupid imaginary skulls in with.

Every single bit of forced stealth or stealth-ish stuff was totally poo poo. What I don't understand is how you have these gigantic studios like Ubisoft and not a single person who apparently likes video games enough to say something like "Our game doesn't really work for stealth and this isn't loving fun, take it out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's how the Prison segment should have gone:

Yuma injects you with that drug. She thinks you're going to freak out and go crazy. What she doesn't realize is you've been dropping every single psychedelic there is with two stoners and you laugh it off, kill everyone, and escape.

Pagan gets angry. Radically rethinks his drug-based penal system.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Problem Sleuth posted:

I don't think it's really about being culturally relevant, just that a lot of times aaa game devs try to make their games cinematic. Which seems like a good idea at first, but it turns out that trying to make games like you make movies turns out about as well as trying to make movies like you make books. Which is to say not very well most of the time

Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 2 were both really really good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Also, they both had well-paced and easy to follow stories where you couldn't spend hours dicking around doing nothing, something all AAA games going for big dramatic set pieces should aspire for.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Some nice goon needs to let me stay at their place after I go completely broke from yet another steam sale. Bought Dark Souls, all 3 Endless games, Papers Please, Wasteland 2, fuckin Euro Truck, Shadow Warrior, I'm buying poo poo I don't even remember buying.

make it stop

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dungeon of the endless is too hard. it makes me feel like a failure as a gamer, i can't even beat the 'too easy' difficulty

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Davincie posted:

dungeon of the endless is too hard. it makes me feel like a failure as a gamer, i can't even beat the 'too easy' difficulty

kinda having that problem on Wasteland 2. Ive played these isometric top-down games a hundred times, but i find myself with a near-death party punching its way out of dungeons after completely running out of ammo and supplies like two minutes in. also friendly fire all the time

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Davincie posted:

You can do it. I believe in you.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Steam sales are great because I can get my friends to try the games that I love. I introduced a bunch of my friends to Insurgency as a change of pace from just hearing them complain about CS GO all the time and they are having a blast taking objectives and acting tactical. I am going to gift them Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 next when they are ready to move on to bigger things.

Mushball fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 24, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've gotten some cool stuff from Steam sales but OTOH it's really easy for me to lose focus in a game and just uninstall it forever unless I've spent some actual dollars. Weird psychologically, but nonetheless true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 2 were both really really good.

:agreed:

but I am worried they'll somehow gently caress up Tomb Raider 2 (2mb Raider?) :ohdearsass:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Rise of Planet of the Tomb Raider: Rise of the Machines

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
my PS3 just arrived through the mail and I've been screwing around with tekken revolution and it's better than I thought it'd be but it's still kinda off putting

anyway give me some good recommendations for games that are only on PS3. Or PSN or whatever but basically nothing I probably already have on my PC.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Demon Souls, Uncharted 2 and Yakuza 4 were my first PS3 games. Can't go wrong there.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
God of war 3

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

some real bitch made moves happening in the bell tower tonite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

my PS3 just arrived through the mail and I've been screwing around with tekken revolution and it's better than I thought it'd be but it's still kinda off putting

anyway give me some good recommendations for games that are only on PS3. Or PSN or whatever but basically nothing I probably already have on my PC.

Yakuza 4. Be a man!

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
If you have multiple controllers and willing friends little big planet 2 is a lot of fun.

And dark souls of course

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a King of Dragon Pass thread, I know there used to be, but I just got it for my tablet and wouldn't mind reading up on it since it's been a few years since I last played.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

precision posted:

Yakuza 4. Be a man!

I hear a lot of love for the yakuza but I know nearly nothing about it, I'll make a note to check it out.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Skwirl posted:

Is there a King of Dragon Pass thread, I know there used to be, but I just got it for my tablet and wouldn't mind reading up on it since it's been a few years since I last played.

there is somewhere, it's probably miles back

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

I hear a lot of love for the yakuza but I know nearly nothing about it, I'll make a note to check it out.

Yakuza 4 just got added to PSN even though it's a few years old now. It's only $20. Get it. Avoid Dead Souls for now. Yakuza 4 has optional recaps of all the major events from 1-3, but 4 kinda does its own thing and introduces new people. All you really need to know is Kiryu is the manliest man to ever man and yet people keep trying to dick him over because they are very dumb. It does not end well for them.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I finally got Tomb Raider and it's a great game but god drat do I feel greasy watching the poo poo they but poor Lara through.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Clamknuckle posted:

I finally got Tomb Raider and it's a great game but god drat do I feel greasy watching the poo poo they but poor Lara through.

Next play Walking Dead Season 2 so you can watch a 12 year old girl go through the same poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In my playthough Lara Croft was a hardy but inexperienced researcher who immediately became an unstoppable bringer of death once she acquired a basic compound bow.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Classic video games though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tomb Raider was especially awesome because it was SHORT. Please make more short games, developers.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

exquisite tea posted:

Tomb Raider was especially awesome because it was SHORT. Please make more short games, developers.

If by short you mean compact I agree. Too much loving padding these days.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Games that would have been otherwise fantastic are ruined with too much padding.

Darksiders 2 could have been a great game if finished about 10 hours before it did.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It makes sense in context, but the repeated rooms in the later half of Dead Space 3 really urked me. It wasn't padding, it was just laziness justified via pre-fabricated military structures.

Man, Dead Space 3. I enjoyed the game when I originally played it and still had a good time the second go-round, but I understand why other people didn't like it (micro-transactions) and why it didn't so as well as it really should have (it should have been a lot more like the DLC and not require co-op for Carver's side of things).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Here's a good description someone posted on the Yakuza thread

quote:

"Yakuza 4 is a heavily plot-driven game about four men, the woman that connects them, a twenty-five-year-old murder mystery that nobody thinks is a mystery, a hundred billion yen in cash, and a city where fifty percent of the population are muggers and one hundred percent of them are about to have their teeth kicked in."

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I would probably have grown bored with Dead Space 3 if not for the co-op with a pal

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 24, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
who plays video games on youtube that is an interesting, funny, cool person, and isn't a member of shacktac because i'm already subscribed to all of those arma-playing nerds

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Dead Space 3 starts out promising, then you hit the planet and it all turns to poo poo.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
maybe it's just me but all these indie pixel platformer roguelike games are more frustrating than they are fun

it would be cool if steam stopped plastering the main page with them too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

THE PENETRATOR posted:

who plays video games on youtube that is an interesting, funny, cool person, and isn't a member of shacktac because i'm already subscribed to all of those arma-playing nerds

I like the dudes from Game Sack because they're pretty chill and have retrospectives on a lot of games/systems I've never even heard of.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

How Rude posted:

maybe it's just me but all these indie pixel platformer roguelike games are more frustrating than they are fun

it would be cool if steam stopped plastering the main page with them too

Indie devs are worse than AAA-studios because there are more of 'em

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
lords of xulima is insanely bad, shame on whoever spent $30 to advertise it

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

AAA studios suck.

However, indie devs also suck.

Both sometimes make good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ekster posted:

AAA studios suck.

However, indie devs also suck.

Both sometimes make good games.

A good example for that are art games. Literally 99% of those are utter garbage, and then you have that one that has a very good composer behind it, and people understanding what the genre actually means, and you get Journey.

• Locked thread