Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm eating pretzels irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

SquadronROE posted:

How can I tell what systems have a black market available? Or do I just have to visit all the stations?

Just go to them. Some outposts will be flying a pirate insignia. That means you can sell stolen stuff there.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

But really I just want to shoot mans in a anaconda but

Honestly the best solution to trading would be to put those kinds of calculators directly into the game, but they can only use data you've bought/discovered on your own and it ages out. Similar to the half assed system data

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

peter gabriel posted:

I'm eating pretzels irl

Truly one of Harry's Angels.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
If people want to use outside calculators to trade poo poo, be my guest, but I'm not going to use that because I'm not a bitch! :colbert:

*putters along in an adder forever*

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I can't tell if the autists are just getting pissed off at people daring to speak even slightly ill of their wet dream space game or what, but god drat.

What the gently caress are people's problems? Some players have an issue with wasting 10-20 minutes doing useless (and boring, let's face it travelling from station to station isn't edge of your seat excitement) busywork in total ignorance of whether or not it'll pay off, and goons tell them to "stop complaining l2p sorry you have to actually fly in this game lol :smuggo:"

Does anyone not think the spreadsheets, online calculators and tools were made (and used by probably nearly every player by now) for a reason?

Since everyone keeps saying this is space truckers, do you idiots not realise that no trucker just blindly buys poo poo and hopes that he'll be able to sell it at a profit SOMEWHERE down the road? Or that they blindly stop off at every convenience store and supermarket asking the manager if they need anything bought and if so, whats their price?

That poo poo is planned to the Nth degree, it's not just some random "lol this is SO FUN driving to these cities and finding out their prices for goods!". If a trucker did that in real life they'd go broke very quickly, so why is it any different in space?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'll have you know I once spent a decade hauling around a truckload of VCRs I picked up in Austin one year, I finally pawned them off in an Indian reservation after several rounds of poker, at which point I declined to cash out if they bought the VCRs at cost.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes but real Truckers are employed by a commercial transportation company. They don't pull up to the sprocket factory and pay for a load of sprockets out of their own pocket, drive it somewhere and then personally try to sell it at a profit.

Players in Elite are more like speculative traders, except when they actually are being paid by some station to take goods somewhere, then they are space truckers.

Not sure where I'm going with this but please, keep up the :qq: . Its funny.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

I like that taking mercenary jobs at the Durius bulletin boards always gives rep with them. Even if you're slaughtering Durius troops it counts as fighting back the Empire on turn in.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Perhaps then you should be able to work for a space trucking company. They give you a space truck, and routes to follow, and reputation increase for work, but they get a significant cut of profits.

And then you sell that info on the black market, get your friends to do the work and keep all of the money, and then pay you.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok so I still don't think I have a discovery scanner, and I can't find a keymapping for it in options. Am I just incredibly dense?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
For people just getting into the game and needing a nest egg, I just did an experiment: I cleared my saved and started a new character, then I bought a fuel scoop for the starter ship (replaced the cargo bay) and 'sold' the two lasers it comes with. These changes made the ship lighter and its max jump range 8.56LY.

Then I plotted a route towards the Hangout as far as I could go with that jump distance, and scanned each system as I passed through. I shot no mans, did no missions, I was interdicted a few times but managed to get away. Result:

Roughly $20k just for traveling, which should be enough for a better FSD so I can continue to Harry's.

It may not be super great money but exploration is pretty chill and you can do it right from the word go. :getin:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

life is killing me posted:

Ok so I still don't think I have a discovery scanner, and I can't find a keymapping for it in options. Am I just incredibly dense?
Map it to a fire group?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Sylink posted:

Trading is lucrative but holy poo poo its kind of boring most of the time, they need to add some sort of mechanics to it that require thought beyond type system into online calculator -> go to point A buy poo poo go to point B an sell it.

I get thats what trading is, but this is a game so maybe we can make it more interesting somehow ?

How about we make the setting in Space with space pirates trying to drag you out of lightspeed so they can shoot the gently caress out of you and steal your cargo to leave you a floating mess to die of suffocation?

How about we make it so some goods are illegal and have to be snuck into stations avoiding the space cops by turning off everything and floating in a station like you are a unguided brick shot out of a cannon?

How about we join the space slave trade? How about we add rare commodities that need to be moved around long distances? How about we space trade battle weapons to rebelling space Detroit so they can extend the war?

gently caress your cathartic dumbass bullshit.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

So since Durius is a shitshow, where should we go for conflict zones now?

Dude above me: You just set a firegroup for it in the right hand panel.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I like that taking mercenary jobs at the Durius bulletin boards always gives rep with them. Even if you're slaughtering Durius troops it counts as fighting back the Empire on turn in.

Yeah, the same thing was happening in Sorbago. I think it may have contributed to why I'm still neutral with the empire despite being a master or something. I did a whole lot of conflict zone fighting.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Hm probably my worst decision so far was buying the Cobra, upgrading it and filling the cargo holds then driving it into a federal dropship out of irritation that it wouldn't die.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Did you at least get the dropship?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

How about we make the setting in Space with space pirates trying to drag you out of lightspeed so they can shoot the gently caress out of you and steal your cargo to leave you a floating mess to die of suffocation?

How about we make it so some goods are illegal and have to be snuck into stations avoiding the space cops by turning off everything and floating in a station like you are a unguided brick shot out of a cannon?

How about we join the space slave trade? How about we add rare commodities that need to be moved around long distances? How about we space trade battle weapons to rebelling space Detroit so they can extend the war?

gently caress your cathartic dumbass bullshit.

Except it all has the depth of cookie clicker.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hey Nostalgia. This

Sylink posted:

Except it all has the depth of cookie clicker.

Is the time to use :ironicat:, right?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I kinda feel like the world's most expensive, high-tech scythe in the Clipper. I've taken to just ramming fuckers when they're at 70% hull, and usually that just finishes them off. Cobras, Vipers, Eagles, Sidewinders, all are fodder to my space scythe. Hell, I rammed a Wanted Clipper and killed him, too. Fucker scratched my paint. Ramming is entirely too easy in this thing.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

There is nothing exciting about smuggling unless you are a lovely pilot, I don't know what to tell you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Sylink posted:

There is nothing exciting about smuggling unless you are a lovely pilot, I don't know what to tell you.

I find it relaxing and fun. Unless you only smuggle to an outpost because you are a scared baby.

I smuggled to an outpost last night because I had a lot of gold and didn't want a big fine :(

Also the single biggest offense in this game is that there is no in-system hyper jumps. If the whole point of a FSD drive is to jump to massive gravity wells, then loving let me jump to a star in the same system instead of flying 1 million loving light seconds out.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Yeah, man, I'm just too good at this game for it to have any excitement. They need to make some more challenging content for, heh, elite gamers like yours truly

Jacobeus
Jan 9, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

I can't tell if the autists are just getting pissed off at people daring to speak even slightly ill of their wet dream space game or what, but god drat.

What the gently caress are people's problems? Some players have an issue with wasting 10-20 minutes doing useless (and boring, let's face it travelling from station to station isn't edge of your seat excitement) busywork in total ignorance of whether or not it'll pay off, and goons tell them to "stop complaining l2p sorry you have to actually fly in this game lol :smuggo:"

Does anyone not think the spreadsheets, online calculators and tools were made (and used by probably nearly every player by now) for a reason?

Since everyone keeps saying this is space truckers, do you idiots not realise that no trucker just blindly buys poo poo and hopes that he'll be able to sell it at a profit SOMEWHERE down the road? Or that they blindly stop off at every convenience store and supermarket asking the manager if they need anything bought and if so, whats their price?

That poo poo is planned to the Nth degree, it's not just some random "lol this is SO FUN driving to these cities and finding out their prices for goods!". If a trucker did that in real life they'd go broke very quickly, so why is it any different in space?

* complains that space trucking is too boring *

* suggests the use of external calculators and spreadsheets to bring the excitement to edge-of-seat levels *

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Conot posted:

So since Durius is a shitshow, where should we go for conflict zones now?

Dude above me: You just set a firegroup for it in the right hand panel.

Wait for the inevitable war of succession. Durius might end up being alright if the Empire takes a station so we have a easier way to gain rep, but as is it's a real pain. Also if the capital ships are still in Sorbago you can still get fights but I've got no idea if they'll give out combat vouchers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hey Nostalgia. This

Is the time to use :ironicat:, right?

I can't even tell what people are crying about any more :(

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Syves posted:

Did you at least get the dropship?

It survived :( the cobras hardpoints are loving dogshit, i need to take the dumbfires off the wings because i just point blank volleyed an enemy cobra and the missiles flawlessly flew to either side

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Wait for the inevitable war of succession. Durius might end up being alright if the Empire takes a station so we have a easier way to gain rep, but as is it's a real pain. Also if the capital ships are still in Sorbago you can still get fights but I've got no idea if they'll give out combat vouchers.

The capital ships ARE still in Sorbago, but the areas are empty of enemies and you can't even pick a side, so its not like I can even suicide run imperials to try and get vouchers with dirty space slaves (ew)

Also, If I'm in Sorbago and get the Promotion mission, where is the nearest source of Combat Stabilisers? Can't find anything locally offhand.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I can't map anything to fire groups.

All that shows up are my pulse lasers, and I can make infinite fire groups for them.

It turns out I really am that dense and all my online searching just comes up with nothing containing instructions on how to map the scanner.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Whilst heading to Eranin to check out some rare goods, I ended up taking a black box recovery mission in Aulin (returning to Chango Dock in I Bootis)

Found the black box after a while, but up until that point I managed to claim ~50,000CR in bounties, find a load of liquor (which, disappointingly, only sold for 83CR a ton on the black market at Chango) so I'm now a bit richer.

The gimballed pulse laser/MC combo on my Sidey isn't the greatest but it's doing me fairly well so far.

I did get blown up by CMDR Tritzo in Eranin though. I had no cargo on me either, nor was I wanted - I guess he was just being a dick.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Conot posted:

The capital ships ARE still in Sorbago, but the areas are empty of enemies and you can't even pick a side, so its not like I can even suicide run imperials to try and get vouchers with dirty space slaves (ew)

Also, If I'm in Sorbago and get the Promotion mission, where is the nearest source of Combat Stabilisers? Can't find anything locally offhand.
drat that's a shame.

I had to go all the way out near Achenar to get them when I got that. Really wish they gave us the option for what rank up mission to take. I'll kill every single stray general they ask me to if it means I don't have to find combat stabilizers or personal weapons again.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

It survived :( the cobras hardpoints are loving dogshit, i need to take the dumbfires off the wings because i just point blank volleyed an enemy cobra and the missiles flawlessly flew to either side

Tonight, I plan on outfitting my Cobra with some fixed flashlights (beam lasers) in the med slots, and some at least gimballed, maybe turreted (ized? Not sure what the word is to "turret-ify" a thing) also beam lasers. I like beams.

But thinkin about putting some c2 cannons on. See how my Imperial Guard Cobra works out. Those drat lower outer wing mounts are just the opposite of bees knees. What would that be? Whale cloaca?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Syves posted:

Those drat lower outer wing mounts are just the opposite of bees knees. What would that be? Whale cloaca?

Yeah christ they're terrible. Loads of bounties have escaped from me and ive had my first death since switching from the viper. :v:

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008

Syves posted:

Tonight, I plan on outfitting my Cobra with some fixed flashlights (beam lasers) in the med slots, and some at least gimballed, maybe turreted (ized? Not sure what the word is to "turret-ify" a thing) also beam lasers. I like beams.

But thinkin about putting some c2 cannons on. See how my Imperial Guard Cobra works out. Those drat lower outer wing mounts are just the opposite of bees knees. What would that be? Whale cloaca?
Whale cloacae?

I put my explorer Cobra in storage and have been very happy with the Viper.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
Cobra is really a nice ship, probably too cheap for how good it is. Asp is my next target for ship. Passed the million mark today, and on my way. Four utility slots on that baby, go exploring!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
I'm afraid if I want to do some serious ship combat, I may need to buy a Viper. I just want to use my Cobra because I want to be able to do some combat between trade runs. 160ly to dump a pile of rares is a long way when you just start out in a Cobra without much extra cash. I just want some space shootmans to lighten the mood while I'm eastbound and down.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Am I crazy in thinking I heard mention ages ago about something along the lines of renting mining platforms and then swinging by to pick up the results. Or was that just people talking about the older games? I thought small things like that would be cool.

I totally get the "We don't want players declaring parts of the galaxy are theirs" thing, even as people turn around and tell people that working for factions is exactly the same thing except for not having your name on it.

But at least having some small tangible stake in someplace you pick out beyond bar graphs, reputation, and what NPCs are in charge would be nice. So long as it was only small things like investing in an extraction platform, or a space car wash. No naming stars or stations after yourself, just deciding you like a place and want to do something a bit more than Run Mission/Shoot Ships without it's label on them.

Then tie it to the factions. So if they go out of power and station ownership changes, you are just out of luck. This is good for people who can only get a space boner for NPC faction switching, but would also make it so you still have to give a poo poo about that stuff yourself to play space investor man.

You want that agriculture platform to make back what you put into it's banana plantation? Do your part to make sure Big Harry stays on top.

EDIT: Implement station services options to let me directly donate to a station's Palm Tree fund, TIA.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I am nostalgic "Gamma Wipe" Nostalgia, he was more fun.

I think most people who use community made spreadsheets and online calculators would LIKE to rely on just the in game trade routes and import/export listings, but the in game info up until now has been anywhere from wonky to outright lying. (In before: "Well, if you check to see if it has at least three trade routes leading to it then MAYBE the goods system view claim are there are even on the station commodity list in the first place, get good at research"). I'm hopeful the recent fixes will shake out the wonky stocks and trade routes, but that is a separate thing from "System view says station carries liquor, but it's not even on it's commodity list, not just out of stock" bugs.

EDIT: Rares are so popular not just because of their consistent value, but because they are reliably accurate to the in game information. A system view tells you a place exports coffee, it might not even be an entry on the commodities list in the first place. A system view tells you a place exports genuine xenomorph eggs, good golly the system view is telling the truth. And you know it before flying 50+ly out trying to find someplace that sells X thing you need for Y mission only to see it doesn't actually exist.

All I know personally about real life trucking is that a Cousin of mine was a trucker for a short while and then transitioned to driving those long haul passenger busses like Greyhound or Peter Pan or whichever company. Also that one of the nicest most reasonably guys to work with was crushed under the pressure of becoming store manager, and then he became a truck driver for Pepperidge farm and he seemed much happier.

Which ties in with my theory. Space Bus is the ultimate goal over trucking. Why do I want to space bus so bad send help.

Syves posted:

I'm afraid if I want to do some serious ship combat, I may need to buy a Viper. I just want to use my Cobra because I want to be able to do some combat between trade runs. 160ly to dump a pile of rares is a long way when you just start out in a Cobra without much extra cash. I just want some space shootmans to lighten the mood while I'm eastbound and down.

If you want try out combat on the cheap, a tricked out Eagle should do so long as you are not trying to take out well equipped asps with nothing but a bunch of pulse lasers or whatever. (You totally could, but it would sure take longer :v:)

It might even have a bigger jump range than a tricked out Viper too.

EDIT: vvv Welcome to Not Early Access. File a ticket and take your free complimentary "This game might not be for you" XXXL T-shirt.

Your launcher has a support button link. This is a different support site than the old one, if you want to be thorough send a ticket to both just in case. Then hope they ever get back to you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 24, 2014

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I bought an Eagle in Atlantis, storing my Adder.

Somehow, my Adder ended up in Eranin. Does this... is this a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So how do you prevent someone from FSD jumping from a fight? I thought before that taking out their FSD was possible, but it seems like there isn't really a way to stop it anymore. I guess taking out their thrusters would prevent it but that would take forever. Is there anything that can slow it down? Obviously you can chase them but often thats a pointless endeavor.

Secondly, what is the best kind of weapons to use to destroy modules?

• Locked thread