Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If it put on a backpack, he couldn't fit it in a Dom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't really the way the game works. It is probably how it should work but the Build Burning alone kind of proves that because nobody programmed in Jigen Haoh moves and assigned them point values or anything and there are plenty of other examples of things which don't make sense there.

I mean the honest truth is that BF's game makes no sense and shouldn't be analyzed closely. Winning Road just stands out because it fills the same niche as the Absorb Shield but without the limitations and strengths that AS had, so it leads to the question. If Winning Gundam had to build up a Plavsky reserve and then release it (ala the RG system) then Winning Road would totally make sense.

They might not have put in the Jigen Haou moves specifically, but considering G Gundam is a thing I don't doubt that they programmed in a variety of weird rear end martial arts moves that people could theoretically use. I mean, its not like the Jigen Haou spin kick thing calls forth a tornado if Sekai does it normally (I hope :ohdear:) so it stands to reason that a close combat martial arts mobile suit would probably have special effects assigned to it when it punches and kicks.

I mean its not perfect, and it does have plot holes but its not impossible to infer things about how the system works.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

Maybe that was its intended gimmick all along. Hiding inside a larger MS and playing mindgames with the opponent as to if it were just a surprisingly strong Doan Zaku II or suddenly Build Burning they were fighting.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The absence of weight classes outside of mobile armor makes Build very weird sometimes. In s1 battle royale there was the carrier full of people who hated Fellini, and now in Try we have Saga who seems to be a big Gundam built out of lesser Gundams. Meanwhile, winning Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

They might not have put in the Jigen Haou moves specifically, but considering G Gundam is a thing I don't doubt that they programmed in a variety of weird rear end martial arts moves that people could theoretically use. I mean, its not like the Jigen Haou spin kick thing calls forth a tornado if Sekai does it normally (I hope :ohdear:) so it stands to reason that a close combat martial arts mobile suit would probably have special effects assigned to it when it punches and kicks.

I mean its not perfect, and it does have plot holes but its not impossible to infer things about how the system works.

Yeah, but it isn't like Sekai sat down and programmed Jigen Haoh into his mecha. It just ran off what he was doing and he seemed to know exactly how and what it will do from the moment he started.

I mean basically the rule is "Gunpla runs off imagination~" but the imagination has some sort of logic behind it. Winning Road feels kind of arbitrary even by the arbitrary reasons the show usually has. I think it's mostly frustrating because it'd be really easy for them to state a reason and then suddenly we understand why Winning Gundam needs to be the way it is instead of it feeling like an excuse to write one of the Gunpla out of fight scenes regularly.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It could run off anime robot logic.

Robots get stronger when they combine, so parts from two robots together are stronger than the same parts would be from the same robot. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We all know that the real reason is Bandai wanting one of the protagonist to use an SD because they are cheap, popular and because then they can later sell you the final 1/144 Star Winning Gundam backpack that she'll end up using in the finals or whatever. That way you'll end up buying 3 star winnings: 1 for sd form with backpack, 1 to have whatever the gently caress the backpack hooks up with on the other units and one for 1/144 with additional backpack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We all know that the real reason is Bandai wanting one of the protagonist to use an SD because they are cheap, popular and because then they can later sell you the final 1/144 Star Winning Gundam backpack that she'll end up using in the finals or whatever. That way you'll end up buying 3 star winnings: 1 for sd form with backpack, 1 to have whatever the gently caress the backpack hooks up with on the other units and one for 1/144 with additional backpack.

Most plausible explanation so far.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hell, earlier this series we had an Ez8 that had 3 different weapon loadout packages.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

If only the Dom had turned into a backpack.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darth Walrus posted:

I think I figured out why the BBG doesn't have a backpack - that's what the Lightning's new kit is for.

That's so gonna happen, I was wondering why there is no mg star build strike and they make you buy mg build strike and the core booster. Now they want to sell you 3 mgs to make the main characters suit, smart move bandai.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The other reason I feel pretty sure about a combiner is that it plays pretty nicely into the Mobile Armor rule. They can combine into one unit and fight a Mobile Armor in a 1v1 fight.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe in a twist Star Winning (which looks totally rad if that HG transformation is true) can.ansorb energy from her teammates to power Fumina up. I mean it's probably based somewhat on her idol's Stargazer, and that's similar to what Stargazer does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Maybe in a twist Star Winning (which looks totally rad if that HG transformation is true) can.ansorb energy from her teammates to power Fumina up. I mean it's probably based somewhat on her idol's Stargazer, and that's similar to what Stargazer does.

That'd be kinda neat but I admit I'm hoping their gimmicks emphasize teamwork instead. I suppose we'll see how it plays out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That'd be kinda neat but I admit I'm hoping their gimmicks emphasize teamwork instead. I suppose we'll see how it plays out.

It will be not good if it turns out to be bolt on armor for the Burning, instead.

Which I'm honestly afraid of.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

It will be not good if it turns out to be bolt on armor for the Burning, instead.

Which I'm honestly afraid of.

It wont because you'd have to literally glue the SWG into the others to actually get it to work. The proportions of it backpack are perfect for it to be pieces for a 1/144 torso , legs and arms. At most the backpack will have the option to empower allies or switch into the 1/144 mode.

e-I mean this is of course taking into account that the Try Burning is just the burning with more blue on it. If it actually has a ton of hidden hardpoints then might be different, but bandai aint going to spend the money to do that.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 23, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Maybe all of this Fumina being backup for Sekai and Yuuma is just setup for her to become the main fighter and OWN everyone in her brand new Star Winning Gundam.

I know it won't happen, but it's ok to dream isn't it? :gbsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't have the heart to make fun of you for that, just pity. :(

I know that, that opening was terrible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MonsieurChoc posted:

I know that, that opening was terrible.

Was a pretty cool opening for a gundam vs game, there's only so much that they can do for those, its just a mash of the mashup of all the characters.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
The OST drops today in Japan. I'm sad that we don't have any new Meijin songs; we'll have to settle for six times the flamenco for now. Lots of great songs on it, though.

With Try introducing built-from-scratch models, I'm sure they just threw away any pretense of balance/scoring systems. I'd love to see them give an explanation for exactly how a gunpla can be built better than another, to the point of the outcome of the fight between ripoff Hyaku Shiki vs Build Burning though the box kit Destiny managed to break Build Burning's face with one punch while the Hyaku Shiki failed, so if they're going to explain it at all I'm sure it'll be because of Assimilation.

Since I'm just jumping in the thread now, I might have missed this discussion - was Gary Oak's SD Kouki Gundam's flight form a tribute to Cybuster's flight form? They look pretty drat similar.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Both times the Destiny damaged the Build Burning, it was by using the latter's own strength against it. Remember the cross counter?

And no, there's no relation beyond "they are both trying to be birds".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Build quality really just seems to influence what your suit can do without falling apart or collapsing in on itself and how much of a beating it can take. Which is a pretty reasonable way to handle it. If you build a better suit it can do more because it won't suddenly lose an arm or have a joint collapse or something,

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Build quality really just seems to influence what your suit can do without falling apart or collapsing in on itself and how much of a beating it can take. Which is a pretty reasonable way to handle it. If you build a better suit it can do more because it won't suddenly lose an arm or have a joint collapse or something,

This is actually a point of consistency across both seasons, too. GX Maoh vs Star Build Strike in Season 1 was effectively decided entirely by build quality; the GX Maoh simply could not withstand sustaining Maoh Sword as long as SBS could withstand sustaining Build Knuckle. In addition, the length of time SBS could maintain RG without destroying itself steadily went up as the series progressed and Sei refined the suit behind the scenes. The first time SBS used RG it could only do it in one arm and only for a moment without blowing itself to pieces, whereas by the time of the Nils fight it could maintain the state indefinitely in the whole body.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Just having a layer of paint holding a piece together probably helps against what're probably very small amounts of impact force. They're plastic toys at 1/144 scales, after all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Removing seams can also literally involve fusing separate pieces of plastic together, which is the biggest "build quality = tougher" thing I can think of.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm curious as to who's going to be responsible for the construction of the Try Burning Gundam. The name indicates that it's a derivative/upgrade to the Build Burning, obviously, but the lack of "Build" in the name strikes me as being kind of significant. All of Sei's works include the word "Build" somewhere in the name, similar to how Mao's suits always had the "Maoh" designation and included 9999 in the model number (GX-9999, XM-X9999). And of course, Tatsuya's models were always Amazing (because he's a Meijin).

I'm hoping... I'm seriously hoping... that it's Sekai himself who builds it. Maybe a bit of advice/help from his teammates (or even the Meijin)... but let's go all the way here and have Sekai actually embrace the modeling aspect of the hobby. I still don't think there's anything wrong with him having leaned on using Sei's work up to this point, but I think it would really help push one of the main themes of the series - that it's fun to build your own Gunpla. Hell, even his sister, who's less involved with the hobby than he is, has built her own suit at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It'd be nice but also sort of weird if Sekai is able to suddenly build a superior-to-World-Class Gunpla after showing little to no interest in it before, especially since I doubt we've seen the end of Burning Mode after 1.5 usages.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Removing seams can also literally involve fusing separate pieces of plastic together, which is the biggest "build quality = tougher" thing I can think of.

Paint also could be considered to add ablative layers or beam diffusion, and in the first season they mentioned Built 's ririfle was supercharged because Sei reinforced the barrel with some metal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Clearly the ultimate gunpla would be all steel with a thin layer of plastic on top.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Looking back, I'm a little disappointed that there's no metal option parts for the Build Strike MG. Oh well, at least I can hope for the MG Star Winning Gundam, that would be amazing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Sindai posted:

Clearly the ultimate gunpla would be all steel with a thin layer of plastic on top.

defeated by gigantic mobile armor magnet thing with 3 legs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thinking about it, it's really a crime we didn't get a team of Flamenco Dancers this time around.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spoiler mechs for next episode, should be up right now~!
Capeless The End
http://imgur.com/l2Bf8yo

Lady Kawaguchi 's Dark Blade(?)Zero Gundam
http://imgur.com/DS48Epb

e- Meijin keeps being the best A red bike for when you need to go 3 times as fast and answering store owners at 3 times the speed

e2- Holy poo poo a single good fight would have sufficed, but they crammed 3 with meaningful character development in between and during them.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 24, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam (Stargazer)
Maryu Kenshi Zero Gundam (SD)

Was that supposed to be China at the end there? The VA sounded similar.

This is pretty much the character development episode we should have gotten like, seven episodes ago. Meijin's not standing for any of this bullshit, and it's great.

Probably my favorite conversation was "Are you playing with me!?!" "Yes, let's play." Because holy poo poo Yuu, it is a game. You really do not need to freak out so much about this.

Also shame on him for abandoning Lightning, I was really happy when Meijin pointed that out.

Meanwhile I'm hoping Fumina's lesson is that she really should rely on her own abilities more (since as far as I can tell the point of the fight was to show off all the stuff the Winning can do on its own), but they left it vague.

As for Sekai, he, well Sudo is like the exact same archetype and his "I GOTTA BE STRONGER" resolution was way less eyerolling. I guess next episode is supposed to be Sekai's character development, so guess I'll wait another week.

Amazing Red Warrior is so amazing it doesn't even need to move. Three times the animation savings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We finally saw the buzzsaw shield. :allears:

If the message from Fumina's fight was indeed 'ye gods, girl, fight for yourself', then I am totally OK with that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
youtube link if you need it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8AFRiOUoyAc

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was a great episode.

And yeah, I hope Fumina's development was to fight for herself instead of wishing that her team mates were there for her to help or to help her. Teamwork is great and all but if you are always relying on having someone for you to help or to help you, you end up never doing anything yourself. I want to see Fumina get the spotlight too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuu-kun status: Kind of a shithead. "Yuu, someone is LITERALLY INJURED." "but my gunpla..." I mean I'm glad he got called on it and I assume he'll get better now but goddamn dude.

Otherwise that was a pretty fun episode. The animation budget was kind of poo poo. (Red Warrior was not drawn the same way twice during the opening sequence)and both the fights suffered from that. There were a lot of still shots in place of movement. They were well choreographed but some of the animation was... wow. Still it was a character development episode they needed. Possibly because Sekai spent the episode in a coma and so they could dedicate time to the other characters. I really really really hope the lesson Fumina learned was "make a Gundam you can use yourself, not weapons for other people."

That said, I'm not thrilled by Sekai gaining what appears to be his very own Lacus Clyne.

Also I'd honestly watch an entire series of just the Meijin. He's still the best.

Also a friendly reminder: No BFT next week due to New Years break.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 24, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I love the idea that the Meijin just zooms around looking for kids who aren't having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That said, I'm not thrilled by Sekai gaining what appears to be his very own Lacus Clyne.

The girl is Wilfreds sister. What she's doing there is anyone's guess, but their team is missing its final member.

• Locked thread