Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I took the advice from the SOmething Awful Lawyers Thread OP into my exam. I should do ok.

*fails*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
even I think this pile-on is a little mean and, as this thread loves to point out, I am a terrible person

Folly
May 26, 2010
Nah, the pile-on won't bother me.

My prep was that I read a 150 page primer called "The Patent Bar Study Guide" on the bus over the last 3 months, then 9 days ago I started preparing in earnest by reading some commercial outlines and taking old exams. I had never taken any kind of patent law class or study before this. I realized on the exam that I'm still missing a few key concepts. So I had to look up quite a few answers that I should have been freebies.

I got my advice from a couple of my old law school classmates. I knew I was under-prepared, but I didn't have much choice. I'm a Category B applicant, and I wanted to see if I was allowed to take the test before I bothered studying at all. Once I applied in Sept., I was granted a 90 day window to take the test. I didn't know I had a 90 day limit, and that's my fault. At the time I was more focused on whether I could take the test than how I would take it. But once registered, why not?

My job is notoriously busy during most of the 4th quarter. So I wanted to take the exam in March, because my workload is much lighter then and I can probably study at work. And now, that's the time I'm going to be taking the test again anyhow. So I'm going to chalk this whole experience up to being an exceptionally realistic review session.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

How many years ago did you take it? "open book searchable" is a bit of an exaggeration when 1/3 of the tested material (stuck in Federal Register Notices) isn't searchable and the stuff that is takes 20 seconds to load.

The advice in the OP is absolute bullshit and if you go into the patent bar just doing that, you're not only going to fail, you'll probably only have time to answer 1/2 of the questions
The advice was accurate circa 2009. I took it at that time prior to taking any IP classes or having any experience with prosecution and passed. That said, I'm told that it's gotten much harder, and there are smart people in my office who failed it on their first try, despite making actual effort at preparation.

Folly: try not to worry too much about your results this time. No one will care after you take it again and pass.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 24, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Soothing Vapors posted:

even I think this pile-on is a little mean and, as this thread loves to point out, I am a terrible person

Your small heart grew three sizes today.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Yeah. You guys are kind of making me feel like a bit of a care bear here.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. You guys are kind of making me feel like a bit of a care bear here.

Well...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the real answer in practice to everything on the patent bar is "you'll be given an incomprehensible disclosure from a foreign client without any power to make changes, get an office action two years later from an examiner who has clearly not even attempted to understand the underlying invention and puts forward a rejection that makes vague reference somewhere in the direction of a reference, don't hear back from the client until four and a half months later, miss the six month date because your firm's docketing software is a piece of poo poo, file a petition"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Incorrect. The real answer is you'll be given the spec someone else wrote two years earlier and a disclosure for a competitors product and told "make it read."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's why kalman makes the big bucks

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Clearly the answer is "Receive a disclosure from your boss' fishing buddy of the form 'its like X, but with Y' as your boss nods vigorously and cuts you off when you try to explain that §103 is a thing. Two years later after they lose touch, get an insultingly terse office action, then get fussed at by the fishing buddy because they figured their application fee also entitled them to all-you-can-draft office responses. Relay a cut-rate offer that will pay for maybe four hours of your time, wait for them to drag their feet through at least a first extension before they agree, then get stuck pushing claims you would have to try to infringe due to aforementioned §103 issues."

How many years ago did you take it? "open book searchable" is a bit of an exaggeration when 1/3 of the tested material (stuck in Federal Register Notices) isn't searchable and the stuff that is takes 20 seconds to load.
They aren't using the 9th edition of the MPEP yet?

Elotana fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 24, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

e:dp

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat you guys make my clients seem almost downright reasonable.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

gret posted:

drat you guys make my clients seem almost downright reasonable.
I was just thinking the same thing.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kalman posted:

Incorrect. The real answer is you'll be given the spec someone else wrote two years earlier and a disclosure for a competitors product and told "make it read."
For like two years all I got were 3-4 four slide powerpoints, no permission to interview the "inventors," and about one week before a bar date.

Those were some quality applications.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Elotana posted:

They aren't using the 9th edition of the MPEP yet?

It switched in October but there are still a number of questions that relate to material that hasn't been updated yet and there are 2 or 3 register notice files in the mix
Supposedly things arent nearly as disjointed as it was before the update but now there's more stuff they're testing on that makes up for it (PPH)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

It switched in October but there are still a number of questions that relate to material that hasn't been updated yet and there are 2 or 3 register notice files in the mix
Supposedly things arent nearly as disjointed as it was before the update but now there's more stuff they're testing on that makes up for it (PPH)
Not to get all WJ (because God knows my test-taking talents haven't translated to a good job) but I remember having a lot of time left when I finished and psyching myself out by wondering if I had missed something obvious. So if they've moved most of the AIA back into the MPEP proper, I think it would still apply. The PPH stuff is in 700, which is one of the most-tested chapters anyway.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Haha, at my last job I would have murdered for as much as four slides of disclosure.

Once, I was handed a napkin. Literally. On a tech my boss didn't even remotely understand, even in the most basic sense (no, a transistor is not the same thing as an LED).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I predict about a billion PPH filings coming off ISRs from the Korean Patent Office

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I predict about a billion PPH filings coming off ISRs from the Korean Patent Office

Why? Due to the KIPO being increasingly selected as the ISA for software inventions?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys sure do love your acronyms.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gret posted:

Why? Due to the KIPO being increasingly selected as the ISA for software inventions?

I can't speak to their actual patent searches, but their PCT searches suck

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://youtu.be/IRsPheErBj8

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yall sounding like a bunch of scientologists up in here

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
The reason everyone is using them now is they are cheaper than everyone else. And even when good searches are returned by whomever, nobody trusts anyone (especially not the us) and does their own search anyhow.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

And that's coming from a US patent examiner, so if he thinks KR searches suck, you know they're really, really bad.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yall sounding like a bunch of scientologists up in here

Phil is probably working tonight y'all.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meatbag Esq. posted:

The reason everyone is using them now is they are cheaper than everyone else. And even when good searches are returned by whomever, nobody trusts anyone (especially not the us) and does their own search anyhow.

I did a non-final a few years ago only to have them cite the art I used in an IDS a month ago as cited in a Korean ISR that clearly adopted my reasoning to reject the claims and I was touched because they were like stackexchange posts

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

lol @ your career if u aint billing on christmas eve

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

quote:

"Let me hear another sound from you,'' said Moscowitz, "and you'll keep your Christmas by losing your situation. "

quote:

Mookie was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Moscowitz signed it. And Moscowitz's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Mookie was as dead as a door-nail.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I don't practice but I put in 8 hours today. Now I'm drunk, alone on a flight to Austin.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

tau posted:

I don't practice but I put in 8 hours today. Now I'm drunk, alone on a flight to Austin.

I yelled at a pro bono client for calling me on my day off today.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
any of you freaks play e-talisman?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

tau posted:

You coming to visit me tau?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

mastershakeman posted:

You guys sure do love your acronyms.

Seriously. I still haven't figured out what IMGAY stands for yet.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Merry Christmas, thread! I drew a seasonal comic.

(and with that, Bro Enlai easily reclaims the title of nerdiest poster in the thread)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bro Enlai posted:

Merry Christmas, thread! I drew a seasonal comic.

(and with that, Bro Enlai easily reclaims the title of nerdiest poster in the thread)

I would actually like to be working today just because I haven't in a couple of weeks. Holidays are slow for the taco truck.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm probably going to work today

Jewish supremacy

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Merry Christmas, you lovely people, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Merry Christmas, you lovely people, you.

Did your kids get take out for dinner again?