Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
iSEM is pretty drat good, although I'll admit my favorite iPad synth is still Polysix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm also debating between Lemur and Mididesigner to use as a control surface for my hardware synths/effects and DAW so opinions on either one of those would be great.

If you're using Logic, Logic Remote is pretty nice. Probably not as flexible as those others but it does most of what I want it to do right out of the box.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Animoog and Sunriser (or was it Sunrizer?) are awesome!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Animoog with its ios8 update is great but tough to program. Sunrizer has amazing sound, esp saws. Thor is a very full-featured subtractive synth. Dxi is a straightforward 4op FM synth.

Another I've seen mentioned is Z3ta+, which has an Ableton look to it.

I do most of my ideas with the synths in Gadget though, it's fantastic.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I'd get Magellan for the sequencer alone. It's this old school knob sequencer,whatever they're called, and it has two outputs that can be routed to Magellan's own voices, or to other apps. It also has a fairly comprehensive fx selection that audiobus can use, and you can even change the fx order. kinda goofy looking but versatile.

Audulus is great. It's a weird digital modular so coming from analog modulars there's a bit of a learning curve, but once you're over it it's the most powerful synth on the store that I know. I made a four voice drum machine preset once, with enough free time you could replicate something like an 808 in it,and then control it with a sequencer app.

iElectribe is still a good drum machine that's not just a bunch of samples.

I mostly use Gadget now, but these apps should work in 8 alright.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

loga mira posted:

iElectribe is still a good drum machine that's not just a bunch of samples.

Yep, and I love the way automation works in it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Been teaching remotely so I haven't really had a chance to respond to this yet, but thanks for the advice so far.

Sizone posted:

TouchOsc works really well, is easy to make custom layouts using its pc based editing program and is super cheap.

How is it's sysex editing? I ask because I'll be attempting to make a full fledged editor for my K2000RS (probably die trying) and the controllers I've listed both have pretty well documented sysex functionality.

Bananalogue posted:

iSEM is pretty drat good, although I'll admit my favorite iPad synth is still Polysix.

:doh: Totally forgot about ipolysix being on my list of poo poo to get, but glad to hear isem is also great.

Trig Discipline posted:

If you're using Logic, Logic Remote is pretty nice. Probably not as flexible as those others but it does most of what I want it to do right out of the box.

I'm on a windows machine running studio one.

Also, thanks to everyone else I didn't quote but I've already looked at those and found something I really didn't like about them or didn't think it was worth the money to get something I would only use when away from my computer/hardware since I have something equal or better to those.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A Winner is Jew posted:

How is it's sysex editing? I ask because I'll be attempting to make a full fledged editor for my K2000RS (probably die trying) and the controllers I've listed both have pretty well documented sysex functionality.

Yeah, uh... that's the one thing it doesn't do. Kinda disappointed me too as I would, ideally, like to move away from needing to use 15 year old sounddiver to edit my patches. I haven't found -anything- that does sysex and, you know, works. The demo for midi designer made me never want to touch it again and I'm hesitant to drop money on lemur or midi touch.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

I'm hesitant to drop money on lemur

Lemur's sysex was so loving mystical that I never managed to even have it accept a simple string.
I gave up after I was told to create a custom midi object, never figured out HOW or WHERE such an object might be created..

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Is 64 GB plenty of storage for making music on an iPad, or should I consider 128?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
64 is plenty.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anybody using ifretless guitar getting midi feedback? I'm using chordpolypad and all the notes are getting stuck.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

theflyingexecutive posted:

Anybody using ifretless guitar getting midi feedback? I'm using chordpolypad and all the notes are getting stuck.

Run midivision or similar and see what's going on

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I used midiflow and there's nothing seemingly wrong with anything but ifretless.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
If I want to run external synths through into a DAW and have them synced what's the best way to do this? I have nanostudio and garageband, and using inter app audio to GarageBand from some free synths seems pretty crap as it doesn't sync. Even recording quantised stuff or programming it in and then just pressing play requires loving about. Would audiobus solve this at all? Preferably using nanostudio so i can actually get some post effects for compressing and EQing. Also what are some decent cheap/free synths? I'm only looking for something subtractive but a bit better than the built in eden synth.

Last question about samples, what's the best program to use with the option of importing drum hits, preferably with piano roll or a grid for programming. Again needs be routable. Or can this be done with the TRG in nanostudio effectively?

edit: this is all for iPhone by the way

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Stux posted:

If I want to run external synths through into a DAW and have them synced what's the best way to do this? I have nanostudio and garageband, and using inter app audio to GarageBand from some free synths seems pretty crap as it doesn't sync. Even recording quantised stuff or programming it in and then just pressing play requires loving about. Would audiobus solve this at all? Preferably using nanostudio so i can actually get some post effects for compressing and EQing. Also what are some decent cheap/free synths? I'm only looking for something subtractive but a bit better than the built in eden synth.

Last question about samples, what's the best program to use with the option of importing drum hits, preferably with piano roll or a grid for programming. Again needs be routable. Or can this be done with the TRG in nanostudio effectively?

edit: this is all for iPhone by the way

Unfortunately the one and only thing NanoStudio will do with external DAWs, controllers, synths or whatever is receive MIDI notes and (some) CC commands. It can't sync with anything in any meaningful way.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 12, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Unfortunately the one and only thing NanoStudio will do with external DAWs, controllers, synths or whatever is receive MIDI notes and (some) CC commands. It can't sync with anything in any meaningful way.

Are there any apps that can? Basically looking for something as analogous as possible to a DAW and VST/AU type deal.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know it's not nearly cheap or free, but I wasn't satisfied with midi handling until I got Cubasis.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Stux posted:

Are there any apps that can? Basically looking for something as analogous as possible to a DAW and VST/AU type deal.

beatmaker 2 syncs with things fairly well and it can do what you want with drums

Juggernaut Hands
Apr 17, 2007
These Hands are Unstoppable.

Animoog just dropped to $4.99. I don't know if it's a sale or just a price drop. Enjoy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Animoog still has that bug where the LFO rate is only normal at 256 samples in Audiobus though.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
iKaossilator is on sale now for half price ($9.99)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JHVH-1 posted:

iKaossilator is on sale now for half price ($9.99)

What the gently caress...

I have that (have for ages) and I don't think I would have ever bought it for 20. (or that it necessarily warrants that price?)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Korg discounts stuff all the time. I wish module were half off too though. :mrwhite:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of which Module just dropped. Thirty bucks tho and additional IAPs to boot.

I guess I'll pick it up but honestly I don't know if I really need a multi-gig iPad piano.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's a sale though! Consume consume consume

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress...

I have that (have for ages) and I don't think I would have ever bought it for 20. (or that it necessarily warrants that price?)

I don't know, I just had it marked as wanted and set up an alert for price a long while back and paid $10 at the last sale. It looks like all their stuff is $10 off, so I guess they don't use percentages to do their sales.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't know, I just had it marked as wanted and set up an alert for price a long while back and paid $10 at the last sale. It looks like all their stuff is $10 off, so I guess they don't use percentages to do their sales.

Oh I mean it's great! I love it. I'm just shocked the base price for it was so high...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like the op is a couple years out of date, have there been any good recent recaps of recommended apps?

I don't really use iOS music apps that much but might pick up a few while they're on sale.

Also is Beatmaker 2 a big upgrade over the first one? I still have 1 and fool around with that here and there.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gadget's on sale right now and owns.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
NLogSynth is down to two bucks, and the Mac version is six on the Mac App Store.. Patches are cross-compatible.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Thor is $5 this month.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Thumbjam is on sale.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

How do you guys go about incorporating ipad stuff into a proper studio situation? I'm thinking of getting a camera connection kit and hooking a cheap SPDIF interface into it so I can get clean audio out, though honestly I only have internet hearsay to go on that this is possible.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Class compliant USB audio interfaces will work with the Camera Connection Kit.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Arturia apps are half off currently.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

BKPR posted:

How do you guys go about incorporating ipad stuff into a proper studio situation? I'm thinking of getting a camera connection kit and hooking a cheap SPDIF interface into it so I can get clean audio out, though honestly I only have internet hearsay to go on that this is possible.

I use http://www.akaipro.com/product/synthstation49 with an ipad 3: stereo 1/4" outs, USB MIDI, way more playable. Not sure what the current lightning-connector equivalent would be.

I never had any luck getting the camera connection kit to work.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've recently picked up an iPad with the idea of using it for "live" synth playing (not so much composition), and the choices are a bit overwhelming. The most obvious aim for me is some Cars/Rentals sort of synths in a rock context, but I'm looking forward to seeing what these things can do.

A few things that I've seen mentioned positively here, in the synth thread, and in other places are:

FM4
Thor
Sunrizer
iMS20
iPolysix
Waldorf Nave
Korg Gadget
Arturia iSem
iProphet
Magellan

Audiobus for routing things around, possibly to stuff like Amplitube.

Is any of this must-have or must-avoid? Anything completely obvious that I'm missing? Just grab a couple of these and go to town?

Is the camera kit + a usb controller still recommended, or is something like the Alesis IO Dock mentioned in the OP (it looks like there's a newer version) a preferred way to go to get control in to the synths and sound out to an amp?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Leck posted:

I've recently picked up an iPad with the idea of using it for "live" synth playing (not so much composition), and the choices are a bit overwhelming. The most obvious aim for me is some Cars/Rentals sort of synths in a rock context, but I'm looking forward to seeing what these things can do.

A few things that I've seen mentioned positively here, in the synth thread, and in other places are:

FM4
Thor
Sunrizer
iMS20
iPolysix
Waldorf Nave
Korg Gadget
Arturia iSem
iProphet
Magellan

Audiobus for routing things around, possibly to stuff like Amplitube.

Is any of this must-have or must-avoid? Anything completely obvious that I'm missing? Just grab a couple of these and go to town?

Is the camera kit + a usb controller still recommended, or is something like the Alesis IO Dock mentioned in the OP (it looks like there's a newer version) a preferred way to go to get control in to the synths and sound out to an amp?

I would say start with Korg Gadget before picking up a ton of other apps, it's pretty full featured app by itself. That being said, the Arturia apps are on sale right now, and the Korg ones might still be, so it may be worth grabbing MS20, Polysix, Prophet, and SEM too. That's more than enough to keep you busy until well into next year, assuming you're taking the time to really get to know the apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Animoog is a must-have imo

• Locked thread