Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why don't you like monster pulse, btw? i personally like it but i'm legit interested in your answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Seems the redirect traffic crashed Monsterkind. Is that worth reading? I already restarted reading Beyond the Canopy after that guest appearance, but I don't remember if I tried Monsterkind. I know I didn't like that other one with the kids and the monster organs.

It's a story about minority experience where the minority consists people who've had parts of Halloween costumes permaglued on them. It's like Dreaming of Utopia, but without the fine sense of irony and camp.

But it's not the worst monsters-as-minority webcomic.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
It felt like it was taking a while to go anywhere and the tone was kind of odd. It was part existential horror oh no my whatever is a monster now and part scooby and the gang vs the evil corporation. Like I read a lot of pages and it was mostly kids running away from some mean old adults working for a ~mysterious vaguely evil organization~ and making sure not to get caught by mom and dad! It felt like an inconsistent setting where it was hard to tell what was a credible threat or real conflict. Maybe things like that develop later but it was taking too long for me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

It felt like it was taking a while to go anywhere and the tone was kind of odd. It was part existential horror oh no my whatever is a monster now and part scooby and the gang vs the evil corporation. Like I read a lot of pages and it was mostly kids running away from some mean old adults working for a ~mysterious vaguely evil organization~ and making sure not to get caught by mom and dad! It felt like an inconsistent setting where it was hard to tell what was a credible threat or real conflict. Maybe things like that develop later but it was taking too long for me.

Monster Pulse is actually good whenever it focuses on older/adult characters who aren't mom and dad, especially the evil corporation. They're all very flawed in a human way (even the big villain), and act like middle-age professionals instead of genre stock characters. The problem is that the comic isn't about them, mostly.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 16, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Seems the redirect traffic crashed Monsterkind. Is that worth reading? I already restarted reading Beyond the Canopy after that guest appearance, but I don't remember if I tried Monsterkind. I know I didn't like that other one with the kids and the monster organs.

The worldbuilding so far:
- There's humans and there's monsters, kind of like in Avenue Q. One of the main monsters is even quite literally a muppet.
- There's three regions/counties/whatever imaginatively called District A, District B, and District C. A is basically human-only, B is mixed, C is mostly monsters.
- Monsters spend their time vaguely complaining about issues and how they're unfairly oppressed by the human-centric civilization.
- District C, where the downtrodden monsters live, is a posh and cozy village, with cafés and restaurants everywhere, the streets are neat and clean, the gardens full of flowers, and the houses are well-decorated with vases and doilies and tchotchkes everywhere.
- The main protagonist is a (human) social worker who the monsters don't trust. The best welcome he got was a long lecture about keeping an open mind and listening for what people really have to say. Then he got decked in the face.
- On the "humans are bad" front, the only thing we've seen is a flashback from one monster who got some medical experiments done on him.

Honestly it seems like the author wants to make something with a progressive message about minority rights and stuff, but has herself absolutely no experience with the issues so she's kinda bullshitting about it as she goes and it makes the whole thing go flat. Other thing that makes it go flat, a bit too much wink-wink nudge-nudge in direction of shippers, maybe because it's a shortcut to gathering lots of fans, or maybe because the author feels more comfortable dealing with ROMANTIC TENSION than with attempting to tackle actual social issues. Who knows, who cares.

Despite all these shortcomings, it's pretty inoffensive. The art is nice (except for the dreadful noses) and the writing is much more tolerable than in Maya Kern's "Monster Pop", another Avenue Q reject.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The two of you are getting Monsterkind and Monster Pulse confused. Monster Pulse is a pretty good Pokemon sendup with a slightly darker tone and a solid update schedule. Monsterkind is yet another one of those "it's an allegory about discrimination!" comics made by someone who seems to have a loose-at-best knowledge of how discrimination actually works and therefore amounts to a bunch of flimsy characters idly making goo-goo eyes at each other. Not a fan.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I was curious about both. I have read some of Pulse but none of Monsterkind.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
On an unrelated note. "Buff Baby"

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Rereading that comic was worth it, I didn't notice the poster of a baby going super saiyan on the wall the first time.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

One of the biggest things I don't like about Monsterkind is that the monsters are really unimaginative. They all look exactly like humans except "this one's blue! This one has a weird nose!". I want quadruped monsters and floating alien monsters and indescribable horror monsters and monsters that look like monsters, dammit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Luneshot posted:

"This one has a weird nose!"

The protagonist is human :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

It's okay but it has some ridiculous pacing problems. Probably not an issue reading the archives.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tollymain posted:

it's all right, but it's not really doing anything new yet with the "monsters as marginalized people" conceit and it's really slow

Exceeeeedingly slow, and all of the "main" characters are kind of wimpy whiny milquetoast people.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Oxxidation posted:

Monsterkind is yet another one of those "it's an allegory about discrimination!" comics made by someone who seems to have a loose-at-best knowledge of how discrimination actually works and therefore amounts to a bunch of flimsy characters idly making goo-goo eyes at each other. Not a fan.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Exceeeeedingly slow, and all of the "main" characters are kind of wimpy whiny milquetoast people.

This sounds like an incredible trainwreck of Tumblr.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Neo_Crimson posted:

I was going to say "sounds like Questionable Content but with monsters instead of robots", but that's kind of the same thing, isn't it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Poison Mushroom posted:

I was going to say "sounds like Questionable Content but with monsters instead of robots", but that's kind of the same thing, isn't it?

Eh. It's inoffensive, at least as far as I read it. it reads like a kids' show trying to touch on discrimination, which isn't terrible per se if that's what you're aiming for (it looks like that's what it's going for). QC is a lot more overdramatic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

The two of you are getting Monsterkind and Monster Pulse confused. Monster Pulse is a pretty good Pokemon sendup with a slightly darker tone and a solid update schedule. Monsterkind is yet another one of those "it's an allegory about discrimination!" comics made by someone who seems to have a loose-at-best knowledge of how discrimination actually works and therefore amounts to a bunch of flimsy characters idly making goo-goo eyes at each other. Not a fan.

I was talking about both in separate posts :ssh:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'd probably buy that wifebeater Spender is sporting.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zenzirouj posted:

I'd probably buy that wifebeater Spender is sporting.

I was gonna say

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yes.

The art is nice though, it's the same school of art that seems to influence Paranatural and similar. Zack and Gigi and his girlfriend and these little group are all allied and tweet at each other, so it makes sense that they influence each other artistically.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Neo_Crimson posted:

The nose knows.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, there's something in my eye.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh my loving god

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Starchdoll is preeeeeeeeeeeeeetty creepy.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Animatronics?

"But now... there are no strings on me."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mind control spirit? Or a spirit that can control those it possesses and is body-jumping?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Look at those glowing pink eyes. Clearly this is Agent Day's insidious ability to make people fall in love with her.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Now what teacher has a secret they don't want to be found out? Or seen Spender being weird? And Starchman. Put your favorite Starchman link here.

Those three are going to feature in the chapter, since the chapter titles all have references to what happens in them. Also looking back, I didn't notice the Starchman Star was in the first chapter page. And it was offered as a bribe just last chapter by Mr. Garcia. Probably nothing. I mean, presumably Starchman is going to be someone's puppet, not a puppeteer.

Oh and speaking of puppets.

Also how long has the archive page given hover text for all the links? Like page specific text.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If this means more time at school with the non-magic kids and Johnny's gang then I'm for it. At a guess we might also see Johnny pound some nerds with a dodgeball, if that's what that hand on the left is holding.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think Isaac's spirit is going to come into play here if the clouds and rain at the top are any indication.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Brannock posted:

I think Isaac's spirit is going to come into play here if the clouds and rain at the top are any indication.
Do you mean the hand holding the puppet strings?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Mentalizer posted:

Do you mean the hand holding the puppet strings?

Oh boy I feel dumb now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's finally the time of year that I can post this again.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and a merry to you too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I hope this means we get to see that crazy girl I can't remember the name of and her friends in the Journalism club again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RareAcumen posted:

Man I hope this means we get to see that crazy girl I can't remember the name of and her friends in the Journalism club again.

I'm taking a picture with BOTH PHONES

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I eagerly await another perfectly normal day at a perfectly normal school. Suzy shenanigans are gonna be rad.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Kgummy posted:

Also how long has the archive page given hover text for all the links? Like page specific text.

All the links? You can't be serio-

... Well drat, it just got a whole lot easier to find specific pages

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kgummy posted:

For a couple months now, but it's also been really behind since he started on the second slog of the chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Paranatural still has the best posters.