Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I told you guys it was infamous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

This is the thing that bothers you? That the Byzantine Empire gets a localized Greek name? There's a ton of reasons to dislike SWMH, but 'oh no, this empire covering roughly the territory of the Byzantine Empire in vanilla has a non-English name' is dumb as gently caress, hth.

Basically this:

DStecks posted:

I'm starting to get a little annoyed with how Paradox is randomly deciding that places have local language names now. DANMARK. NORGE. MUMU. It's like, I'm playing this game in English, I'd appreciate the English place names. At least I'd like a toggle, like EU4 has, so if I want I can just default to the English place names.

And honestly, it's pretty minor among the rest of its sins (and there's even an option to change the local names back to English when you install it), but it still, to me, sums up the crazy misguided obsession with authenticity over fun and accessibility that a lot of modders have.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 24, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Strudel Man posted:

Exactly.

Incidentally, it turns out making a lover out of your sister in CK2, using the seduction focus, also makes them marriageable. Who knew?

Paradox implemented the 'you break it you buy it' policy?

I thought swedes were Lutheran.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
one day there will be an anime reference on this forum, and no one will get it. i have faith.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

one day there will be an anime reference on this forum, and no one will get it. i have faith.

Anime, like it's cousin the cockroach, will outlast humanity. Some future alien race will happen upon some and wonder at the strange, lurid creatures that populated Earth.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

What have I got wrong now? Still Emperor of Italy, just changed culture to Germany and took the Kingdom of Germany back by killing a few infants. "Form HRE" decision is there but greyed out, looks like I have to be the Emperor of Germany for it to work? I can't form that, it has no de jure territory.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
does the pope love you or w/e?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nobody Interesting posted:

What have I got wrong now? Still Emperor of Italy, just changed culture to Germany and took the Kingdom of Germany back by killing a few infants. "Form HRE" decision is there but greyed out, looks like I have to be the Emperor of Germany for it to work? I can't form that, it has no de jure territory.
edit: Wait, you're probably trying to do the early formation one. Let me check that out.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 24, 2014

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Volkerball posted:

does the pope love you or w/e?

He's my vassal and his entire existence is dedicated to kissing my bum.

The only thing I don't have is 400 piety so I couldn't create a new Empire even if it was available.

Strudel Man posted:

You have to be German or Dutch, Catholic or Fraticelli, hold two kingdoms (one being the kingdom of germany), and be an adult with 1000 prestige and a realm size of at least 180.

I am German Catholic with two Kingdoms (one being Germany where my capital is), over 1000 prestige and more than 180 realms.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Does HIP change the creation requirements or something?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah, if it hasn't been formed yet, it's probably this other decision, which requires 1000 prestige, 220 realm size, landed title of e_italy or k_italy, and one other nearby empire (france, germany, britannia, or spain).

It doesn't have any de-jure territory, you said? What's the de-jure empire of Germany right now?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, if it hasn't been formed yet, it's probably this other decision, which requires 1000 prestige, 220 realm size, landed title of e_italy or k_italy, and one other nearby empire (france, germany, britannia, or spain).

It doesn't have any de-jure territory, you said? What's the de-jure empire of Germany right now?

Nothing, Empire of Germany is just a title with absolutely nothing assigned to it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Unironically mad that these modders have inserted anime into my sister-raping wife-cucking simulator

What else will they deface with their perversity

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nothing, Empire of Germany is just a title with absolutely nothing assigned to it.
Then it looks like HIP may have made it impossible. If you go to de-jure empires map mode, is there anything at all in the German area?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Then it looks like HIP may have made it impossible. If you go to de-jure empires map mode, is there anything at all in the German area?

Yeah, Italy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
...in Germany? That's a little odd.

When you formed the empire of italy, did you do it the normal way, or with the Charlemagne decision that forms an empire out of your current kingdom? Because that might also make things harder here, I suppose.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

...in Germany? That's a little odd.

When you formed the empire of italy, did you do it the normal way, or with the Charlemagne decision that forms an empire out of your current kingdom? Because that might also make things harder here, I suppose.

I did it with the "Form a new Empire" decision, which I think is the Charlemagne thing. I don't have Charlemagne, though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

I did it with the "Form a new Empire" decision, which I think is the Charlemagne thing. I don't have Charlemagne, though.
Well that...doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The decision has has_dlc = "Charlemagne" in its potential.

Anyway. You're in a bit of a pickle. I don't think it's possible any longer.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Why the gently caress did we stop nuking them.

it just makes them worse

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
God, I can't get over how hideous western abyssinia is. Six squiggly, two-province duchies squashed in right next to one another. Why...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

God, I can't get over how hideous western abyssinia is. Six squiggly, two-province duchies squashed in right next to one another. Why...

You're telling me. I think I might rework that area for my Rise of Islam mod.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Wait, convincing a decadent person to straighten up costs you piety? Why on earth?

I've been trying to do the convincing myself every time someone popped up decadent. And apparently draining my piety down to nothing as I did so.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 24, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Strudel Man posted:

Wait, convincing a decadent person to straighten up costs you piety? Why on earth?

I've been trying to do the convincing myself every time someone popped up decadent. And apparently draining my piety down to nothing as I did so.

The Decadence system is still straight-up unfun, but that's the measure they've put into place to make it so Decadence isn't trivial to manage. Honestly, it's fine if the decadent individual refuses - you can imprison them straight away, then. But more likely than not, they'll agree to straighten up, then relapse, then agree, etc. etc. which tanks your Piety like mad.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

AdjectiveNoun posted:

The Decadence system is still straight-up unfun, but that's the measure they've put into place to make it so Decadence isn't trivial to manage. Honestly, it's fine if the decadent individual refuses - you can imprison them straight away, then. But more likely than not, they'll agree to straighten up, then relapse, then agree, etc. etc. which tanks your Piety like mad.
It just seems completely backwards for what piety is supposed to represent, the image (or reality, depending on circumstances) of being a righteous person. Convincing someone to change their ways if anything should increase it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

It just seems completely backwards for what piety is supposed to represent, the image (or reality, depending on circumstances) of being a righteous person. Convincing someone to change their ways if anything should increase it.

you dont negotiate with kuffar

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

AdjectiveNoun posted:

That's what Hashashin are for, bruh.

(And by that I mean plot-kill those fools; poo poo, use the intrigue focus and spy on them--chances are you'll either kill them or kidnap them).

It would be cool if the focus events took into consideration stuff like culture so that a muslim with the intrigue focus has a run in with the old man of the mountain and do some cool poo poo buddy cop style.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 24, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

you dont negotiate with kuffar
You do, though. And it works most of the time, so...

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If I become feudal and I've got a vassal duke in a coastal county with the proper tech and tribal holding upgrade, will he found a merchant republic?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
As I understand it, they'll try to follow your choice, and become feudal.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Even though people accept my invitation to go carousing the event doesnt fire, saying that noone wanted to go out.

Also wtf happened to all the ambitions?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 24, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

WYA posted:

Also wtf happened to all the ambitions?

The skill specific ambitions' (improve diplomacy/martial/etc.) event chains were grouped in with their respective focuses. Stuff like buying the inn, playing board games with ye olde nerdy teenagers, etc. Now you just have to select the "Business" or "War" focus to get your stats up.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I'm hoping to get into the trade republics but I'm a little discouraged by how shallow the election system seems - feels like your favor ought to be tied into the nobles' opinions of you so that stuff like having negative personality traits and getting caught trying to murder someone could hurt your chances. Wouldn't hurt if prestige played a larger role, too. Is there any way to mod this in?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Does HIP change the creation requirements or something?

I'm reasonably sure that you cannot use the decision if you are already an emperor.

If you are not on ironman, cheat and give away your empire title, then look if you can form the HRE.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Monopthalmus posted:

It could be worse. The Seljuks could have converted to Sunni, effectively increasing the Abbasids' 50k men to 150k men because you're drat right they call each other into every holy war. It took me 400 years to retake and form Israel, and they just declared a jihad for it. I've already fended off a Crusade, but there's no way I can beat these assholes with the ability field single stacks larger than my entire levy. They're going to win, and I'll have no way of ever winning it back. Think I'm done with this play through...

Boohoo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It won't work forming the new empire overwrote the De-Jure lands of the HRE. Maybe if he destroyed the Empire and took Bavaria since they should be still De-Jure HRE/e_germany since they look like they've never been part of his realm.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 24, 2014

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So its Christmas Eve here, and given that my family doesn't celebrate Christmas at all, I figured I'd play some Crusader Kings.

It turns out that there's a piece of DLC that triggers only if you play on Christmas that plays a bunch of Christmas songs. its pretty cute, I didn't even know it was a thing.

Oh yeah, and my Genius king and his Genius heir got murdered by spawn of Satan son, who is currently causing my realm to fall apart. Its pretty great, I'll do a writeup of that at somepoint. This is the first time I've gotten the Spawn of Satan event chain. Its metal as poo poo.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

MinistryofLard posted:

So its Christmas Eve here, and given that my family doesn't celebrate Christmas at all, I figured I'd play some Crusader Kings.

It turns out that there's a piece of DLC that triggers only if you play on Christmas that plays a bunch of Christmas songs. its pretty cute, I didn't even know it was a thing.

Oh yeah, and my Genius king and his Genius heir got murdered by spawn of Satan son, who is currently causing my realm to fall apart. Its pretty great, I'll do a writeup of that at somepoint. This is the first time I've gotten the Spawn of Satan event chain. Its metal as poo poo.

It plays all December, I think.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

It is a pity if it fires when you are elective though, I had it trigger on a daughter in a Byzantine game but after she murdered her elder siblings with her sinister powers there was still nobody who wanted to vote for her.

I think I married her matrilinearly to some French prince but she disappointed me by not taking over the kingdom to create a dominion of hell or anything.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dareon posted:

So I'm going along with a Haesteinn dynasty game, turning Bertangaland into a Mediterranean island nation, and I get a notification involving a guy named Dyre. Just Dyre af Something-or-other, no title. I think "That's odd, I don't recall anyone in my dynasty named Dyre..."

Turns out Dyre got kicked out of Kiev, came to my brother-vassal's court in Sardinia, then got given a county of his own in north Africa.

Haha, your dynasty being called 'unrelated' just adds to the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Welp, the Demon Hellspawn Antichrist game ended a little earlier than I expected, so I guess I'll write it up now.

The Tale of Duke Eustace of Cornwall, Or, How a 50 Martial Duke Ended Up Costing Me the Game Anyway

Robert III was a reasonable enough guy. Sure, he was a little overhappy on murdering rivals, and may have murdered a couple of relatives who threatened to take his throne, but on the other hand, he was a Genius. Such things are expected of the incredibly brilliant of medieval England. He ruled since the young age of three after the death of his father, single handedly conquered all of Wales and half of Ireland for the five kings of England that kept on overthrowing eachother, and gave birth to another Genius child with his Genius wife.

That was before Eustace was born. From the start, Eustace was disturbing as all hell.

Robert had him taken to his Court Chaplain, who came to the obvious conclusion. Eustace was the Spawn of Satan. Robert III was outraged, and denied it furiously. He and his wife loved eachother deeply, and if he had the money at the time (he was knee deep in a war against the Irish) he would have had the priest killed, but he did not.

Shortly afterwards, Melisande arrived. She was immediately fond of young Eustace, for reasons unknown. Robert shrugged, embraced her into his court because of her clear talent, despite whispers of witchcraft, and when Eustace turned six, he handed him over into her care.

And then this happened.

There was no proof, and Robert genuinely loved his children and refused to believe Eustace had done such a thing.

The evidence for Eustace being the spawn of Satan was piling up.

Robert was, at this time, Chancellor to the King of England at the time (whoever that was) and thus was unable to raise Eustace himself. He passed him off onto another competent relative, and soon Eustace reached the age of majority.

At least he turned out to be a Genius after all.

Robert was honestly a bit scared of him at this point, and when he demanded a country of his own to govern with his wife, a Princess of Denmark, Eustace was granted Ormond, in Ireland. The historical record of Eustace begins to become spotty at this point, (this is about where I stopped taking regular screenshots), but he began to not only hear the voice of Satan, but also the voice of Jesus giving him military advice. A comet was recorded as a good omen for his reign, though the exact date is unknown.

Crippled and infirm in his old age, eventually Duke Robert III passed away. Eustace, despite being the literal Spawn of Satan, was elected as Duke of Cornwall (and Half of Ireland and Wales). Immediately, his madness grew, having prophetic dreams, conversations with fish, and instructions from Satan himself.

His depravity was so great that when King Gilbert told him that he knew his disturbing secret, Eustace was confused as to which secret this was.

Eustace was so hated that his son failed to receive any support from the Electors of Cornwall. His madness and paranoia grew, turning on his own allies in greater feats of depravity. After first arresting and imprisoning his Spymaster, he turned on his own Earls. The Earl of Glanmorgan refused to be taken to Eustace's dungeons, where it was known that all manner of depravity happened, and called his banners. With him came half of England, which had tired of the Antichrist and rode against him. Still, Eustace's army was great, having half of Wales and Ireland under his rule, and was on the verge of victory when his plotting bit him back.

Eustace was engaged in schemes along with other Dukes in England in order to weaken the Crown's Authority over the country, so that he may undertake more campaigns against his countrymen and subjugate them under his boot. In the middle of the war against Glanmorgan, his allies saw the perfect opportunity to strike. The War of Glanmorgan became part of a wider conflict, which despite Eustace's best efforts ended in a white peace - it is believed that Jesus' advice came and went frequently during this period, with records saying that the voices from Jesus abandoned him and returned frequently (seriously, he lost and gained Jesus Gives Military Advice twice). His position and lands were untouched, but Glanmorgan became a direct vassal of the English crown and was lost to him. In his fury, Eustace began plotting again, and the Earl of Northumberland succeeded in launching another war against King Anselm.

This time, the war-torn realms of Cornwall were not so lucky. Lacking the men for three wars in as many years, the plotters were overrun and surrendered. All of England had tired of Eustace's evil, and thus he was imprisoned along with the rest of the plotters. King Anselmrevoked all of his titles, and left him to rot in the darkest dungeons in England for the rest of his natural life. Duke Eustace of Cornwall died in a prison cell in Suffolk, shorn of his power and strength, ranting and raving like a madman about Satan, Jesus, and without the ability to indulge in all of the Seven Sins, died an alone and broken man who earned his just rewards after death.

And thus ends the tale of Duke Eustace of Cornwall. It was a pretty rollercoaster ride, and I had a lot of fun essentially playing the downfall of a mad king though most of it wasn't deliberate. Its stuff like this is why I love CK2. I just kind of wanted to share my game, I guess.

• Locked thread