Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr Dog posted:

Does the permanent life protection on the three crowns

The what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you collect all four crowns, and then go talk to Vendrick, they'll get a permanent, unbreakable life protection effect. You'll never hollow while wearing a crown.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
And is this cued in game anywhere or is it one of those things you just have to know or stumble upon?

I gripe but honestly I kind of like the ways in which Dark Souls hearkens back to the golden age of Nintendo, before gamefaqs, when playground hearsay about tricks and secrets was serious business.

Like remember that amazingly persistent rumour about a hidden room by the blue sentinels bonfire? Magical.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, if you talk to Vendrick beforehand he'll tell you to retrieve the crowns and bring them to him.

But I didn't even know you could talk to Vendrick until I went back to kill his hollow form on a new character. my uncle who works at From told me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why would you talk to a big creepy monster? Giant monsters are for killing, as fast as possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Ashen Mist Heart allows you to peer into the memories of the withered...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Defeating Vendrick himself is such a loving chore in its own right. Dodge his attacks 50 times and never screw up even once or he'll oneshot you.

brb grinding 99 Adaptability

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
He usually two shots me. I don't know where people put stat points into but I hope it's not crap stats like faith or int.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr Dog posted:

Defeating Vendrick himself is such a loving chore in its own right. Dodge his attacks 50 times and never screw up even once or he'll oneshot you.

To be fair, avoiding his attacks is trivially easy. You don't even need to roll most of the time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Same thing. It's usually two back-to-back crescent sweeps. First one staggers you and knocks out 80% of your HP, the second one finishes you off, and you can't dodge because you're staggered.

I guess you could load up with Havel poo poo but then you're fatrolling and attacking very slowly due to constant stamina depletion.

and uh there's no such thing as a crap stat. FAI+INT can give massive elemental damage bonuses on infused weapons even before you level your ATN and start casting spells.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 23, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Vendrick is just practice for the game's other optional boss, who will definitely oneshot you and who takes twice as long to kill while still having easily exploitable AI.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I thought the permanent protection from going hollow was a great reward since it basically finishes up the story why the player character went there in the first place (as opposed to sitting on some weird uncomfortable stone port-a-potty).

On the other hand when you get it you don't really have any reason to use it anymore since you've done everything, it apparently doesn't carry into the next NG cycle, and it doesn't even protect your souls so you still drop them. So paying 3k for repairing the rings still sounds pretty good if you want to play carelessly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you say "dodge" and "Vendrick" together, then you're doing something wrong. You will never have to roll in that fight if you're doing it the right way (i.e. standing to the right and a bit behind him).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you were brave enough to never dodge when he swung his sword, sure that it was going to hit you, then hats off to you.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

it doesn't even protect your souls so you still drop them

This is why I don't even bother to wear the crowns. I like to keep a stockpile of hundreds of thousands of souls on my endgame/completist file because I never know when I'll want to go buy fifty cracked eye orbs or fully-upgrade a weapon I've never used. It used to be millions before I realized there was no point in refusing to level to 250 or something.

Ring of Life Protection for Power-Up of the Year.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just give me a portable bench like I think DS1 has that lets you repair the rings at any bonfire and we're good.

Actually that would be a really handy Cheat Engine script: deduct 3000x souls from your balance and repair all x of your broken life protection rings with one click. Being next to a bonfire while you do it would be an honor system thing I guess.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 23, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There's no reasonable way to do that, sadly.

I mean I could make an automatic repair script if you sit at a bonfire and have it deduct the souls if you have enough, but that's the limit of my ability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

If you take him on immediately after beating Velstadt, he won't have the insane defense and attack multipliers regardless of how many giant souls you have. This is what I did on my first playthrough and he was a complete pushover, and I was wondering why everyone thought he was super tough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

White Phosphorus posted:

I don't give a poo poo about HD, but the new version will have completely separate servers essentially killing whatever multilayer is left.

I bet you the duel-honor sperglords will play the original. The new game lets like six people into one world or whatever, that'll drive them batty since it allows too many chances for people to invade randomly. The base game will probably still have a really small, dedicated PVP base on iron keep's bridge.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I bet you the duel-honor sperglords will play the original. The new game lets like six people into one world or whatever, that'll drive them batty since it allows too many chances for people to invade randomly. The base game will probably still have a really small, dedicated PVP base on iron keep's bridge.

Nah. People like to talk about honor to justify their losses, but I bet most people aren't big enough honor spergs to actually go that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Where's the easiest spot in eleum loyce to farm for the ice rapier?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The one I did was the very first bonfire. You can kill the first two enemies quick before they gang up on you, and by then you shouldn't have triggered the third until you're ready, and the fourth is easy pickings, and if you want to go further in there's an additional two guys, although I don't think one of them (the spear guy) drops the Ice Rapier.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Azuth0667 posted:

Where's the easiest spot in eleum loyce to farm for the ice rapier?

Just going through the zone because you'll probably get like six

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Why do you want it anyway? It only seems to do marginally more damage than the regular Rapier.

Also gently caress everything to do with Ivory King. jfc I loving hate this entire DLC.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mr Dog posted:

Why do you want it anyway? It only seems to do marginally more damage than the regular Rapier.

Also gently caress everything to do with Ivory King. jfc I loving hate this entire DLC.

Length, also pvp suprise zap also can't the poke and zap hit together also doesn't it scale well with cmw also looks rad also

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Length, also pvp suprise zap also can't the poke and zap hit together also doesn't it scale well with cmw also looks rad also

This is why I want it, making a sorcery user that focuses on thrusting swords because mlgs is garbage. I don't hate any of the dlcs and ivory king has one of the best end boss fights in the game but, whoever thought that it was a good idea to deviate so much from ds1 drop rates can suck anything that remotely looks like a dick. I hate this farming poo poo.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 24, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's also just a good sorcery weapon in general even if you don't do the zap poke.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I just wish the ice lance gave you all those special moves, too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr Dog posted:

If you infuse it, it retains more of its physical damage than usual while still giving you a lot of elemental damage, from 220 base phys to 191 base phys and 145 base elemental. For comparison, the Espada Ropera goes from 235 base phys to 161 base phys/elemental. Also, infuse the Ice Rapier with magic, then use CMW on it, and it will boost the power of the R2 projectiles to the point that they can hit like Soul Spears.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm halfway through the game (just cleared iron keep) and still haven't stumbled upon a single weapon that scales with int other than the fire longsword I got way back when.

What's the deal? Do I need to go somewhere specific and farm, or did I completely miss a chest somewhere?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I'm halfway through the game (just cleared iron keep) and still haven't stumbled upon a single weapon that scales with magic other than the fire longsword I got way back when.

What's the deal? Do I need to go somewhere specific and farm, or did I completely miss a chest somewhere?

Aren't that many normal weapons that do it normally, you've got to infuse them. Did you get the ember from the Keep? Because if you did you can go to the blacksmith in the Lost Bastille to infuse weapons now. A bunch of Boss weapons scale with magic too.

You should have found a Magic Mace in the Huntsman's Copse though.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 24, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got the ember, which unlocks infusion but I guess I need magic ore now.

I think it was a mistake going mostly pure mage; Unlike in the previous games, being a caster isn't the auto-win button it used to be. It was nice in the keep, but I'm seriously re-thinking my dedication to sorcery. I'm still using the staff I started with! I feel like my 45 int I've got should been put into real stats, because I feel like I've really struggled through the game. I even went faith+int to try out hexes but they pretty much suck. At least at the point I'm at. I did get the hexer's hood! Of course, the bonus on that plus the ring that gives me more spells still only gives me 3 spears per slot. Frustrating.

I just glanced at the wiki; seriously ridiculous. Why would you put ALL the magic poo poo in undead crypt which is basically 3/4ths through the game? Seriously bad game design. Looks like I'd have to farm it from sorceresses. I wonder what 'rare' means with coins?

Edit: you're right about the mace! I think I missed it. I think it was in the middle of a status effect or something, I figured I'd go back for it and never did.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 24, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The halberd you get from the dragonrider's soul scales with magic and is pretty decent, but then again I'm a big halberd fan. It also has almost the same str/dex requirements as the MLGS, so it's a good holdover until you get that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't have the stats to use it yet, and didn't even know the MLGS existed until I looked it up. I'll start leveling str and dex and try it out and use the mace until then. The longsword animation is getting pretty old.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 24, 2014

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Bhodi posted:

I don't have the stats to use it yet, and didn't even know the MLGS existed until I looked it up. I'll start leveling str and dex and try it out and use the mace until then. The longsword animation is getting pretty old.

Keep in mind you will have to either use an ascetic on a boss fight or get to NG+ in order to obtain it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bhodi posted:

I even went faith+int to try out hexes but they pretty much suck.

What? No. How high did you take faith? I'm only on 25 and dark orb does 250-300 depending on enemy resistances (with a +8 staff mind you)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So ... I've been part of the way of the blue covenant, and ... I haven't been summoned, ever? Is there something you need to do?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

double nine posted:

So ... I've been part of the way of the blue covenant, and ... I haven't been summoned, ever? Is there something you need to do?

The way of the blue summons other people to help you if you get invaded. The Blue Sentinels are the ones who GET summoned. Also in either case I think you have to be wearing the ring(s) for it to work.

In either case I don't think it will probably happen often, as it didn't occur very often even if the very early days when there was probably 100x the population playing.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The blue covenants have been dead since the day the game came out. No unlimited red eye orb means invasions don't happen often enough for anyone to bother putting the blue rings on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Also there's a lot of restrictions on the summon triggering, since both people have to be wearing the rings and be close in SM and be in the same area i think. So it's probably more likely to stumble on a regular/sunbro sign when you get invaded and get help that way much faster. I've played hours in both covenants and never had a single match-up happen.