Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'll never buy that Peter would keep being Spider-Man in an active capacity with a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cassa posted:

But if Peter is happy, how will audiences relate?

Come up with a new character who looks up to him as an example of someone who overcame his problems and became the world's greatest superhero.

To clarify, I don't know if I would necessarily want to read about the adventures of that Spider-Man; I'm interested in the idea of a setting where Marvel's superheroes grew up and inspired a new generation, and I think that becoming Cap's successor is a logical place for Peter to go (in much the same way as Dick Grayson taking over as Batman was while that lasted).

SirDan3k posted:

I'll never buy that Peter would keep being Spider-Man in an active capacity with a kid.

Perhaps not, and that's why I'm also interested in What Ifs where Peter retires to raise his daughter and Ben Reilly is Spider-Man full-time.

While I appreciate that American superhero comics are what they are, I guess I just like the idea of Peter having a more or less happy ending. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 7, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Of course it worked better as a thought exercise before Marvel unceremoniously offed some of their best up-and-comers and character assassinated some of the others. :smith:

The problem with this sort of thing is that no writer wants to build on new up-and-coming characters, they all want to introduce THEIR much cooler new characters. That's why there's such a surplus of limbo'd teen characters to horribly kill every time there's an event that needs extra drama.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah, future settings seem cool but then you just end up with a bunch of poo poo like this

Batman Beyond is the only one, ever, to handle it properly. This stuff works for one-off what-if type stories but if you make it ongoing it always seems to fall apart and turn into a bunch of "you wont BELIEVE whos KID this is!!!" stuff.

If all you're going to do is be like "Captain America's retired... but here's CyberCaptain America 2.0, and its a dog!" then there's not really much of a point to it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kelp Plankton posted:

Batman Beyond is the only one, ever, to handle it properly. This stuff works for one-off what-if type stories but if you make it ongoing it always seems to fall apart and turn into a bunch of "you wont BELIEVE whos KID this is!!!" stuff.
Though, to be fair, the ongoing digital comic mucked things up a bit because the guy that killed Terry's parents was a descendant of Joe Chill and Bruce knew it but never told Terry. But then he is wracked with guilt so he steals a suit of police armor and becomes a Vigilante.
Oh, and Terry's fiancee had an estranged older brother that was a Jokerz ringleader that pulls a Nolan style Kill Me or I Never Stop plan. Also Barbara and Dick were going to have a kid but she stopped a mugging and had a miscarraige. Which is good because it was really Bruce's child.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We're getting Danielle Cage as Captain America in Ultron Forever. I'd like to see what her world is like.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, future settings seem cool but then you just end up with a bunch of poo poo like this

Haha, true. One of my favourite 1990s comics is actually Guardians of the Galaxy by Jim Valentino, which had all kinds of silly stuff like that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

Oh man please tell me that's Logan's kid with Psylocke popping psychic claws there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metal Loaf posted:

I think I'd quite like to read a sort of MC2 storyline where Peter and Mary Jane still raise their daughter, but instead of losing a leg and retiring, Peter decisively beats Osborn once and for all and goes on to take over from Cap as leader of the Marvel universe's superheroes.
Are you me? Because I want that too.

SirDan3k posted:

He did for like two years in MC2 till he physically couldn't any more (on account of the whole leg-blown-off thing). And I think the implication in Real Clone saga was that he'd take up the webs again.

Metal Loaf posted:

Come up with a new character who looks up to him as an example of someone who overcame his problems and became the world's greatest superhero.

To clarify, I don't know if I would necessarily want to read about the adventures of that Spider-Man; I'm interested in the idea of a setting where Marvel's superheroes grew up and inspired a new generation, and I think that becoming Cap's successor is a logical place for Peter to go (in much the same way as Dick Grayson taking over as Batman was while that lasted).
Hell, Nightwing was already the one guy in the DCU every superhero trusts, going from that one issue of Brave and the Bold where he tricks almost every superhero on Earth from going into a limbo dimension (it was to save them from being killed/taken over by something, I think).

quote:

Perhaps not, and that's why I'm also interested in What Ifs where Peter retires to raise his daughter and Ben Reilly is Spider-Man full-time.

While I appreciate that American superhero comics are what they are, I guess I just like the idea of Peter having a more or less happy ending. :shobon:
I actually did some thinking about this after reading the real clone Saga, and I could see them actually borrowing from What If Spider-Man's clone lived and having Ben at some point coming back to town and doing a Spider-timeshare. Or what might be interesting, if say, during Civil War, Ben comes back and takes up with Cap from the outset (since he isn't buddy-buddy with Tony Stark and also, on account of Kaine repeatedly showing up to ruin his life during the wilderness years, sincerely believes the risk of having the bad guys find out who you are when you and your family don't live in Avengers Tower) as Spider-Man (in the classic Red-and-Blues or his own variant, in contrast to the Iron Spider armour). Anyway, Peter swaps sides (maybe this is where the timeshare idea comes in, to create the impression there's only one Spidey in Cap's camp) I'd maybe have the sniper never actually get a shot off at Aunt My ,since with Ben (and perhaps even Kaine) acting as guardian angels, any assassin is probably not going to be . Maybe have strange, Richards and Stark come together to do the psychic blindspot thingy, and then have Peter official hang up the webs for a while and take a break to spend time with his family to make up for the whole 'life on the run' thing. You could easily have Ben basically in Peter's place for most of BND, and instead of having Harry just happen to come back from the dead, he could instead be coming out of the sanitarium having been declared sane.

Oh, I'd also not have Mattie Franlin murdered in Grim Hunt. gently caress Grim Hunt.

Lurdiak posted:

The problem with this sort of thing is that no writer wants to build on new up-and-coming characters, they all want to introduce THEIR much cooler new characters. That's why there's such a surplus of limbo'd teen characters to horribly kill every time there's an event that needs extra drama.
Which is why if I'm ever put in charge of Marvel I will put a moratorium on teen heroes until the current generation have for want of a better term 'graduated' (like the New Mutants), and make writers justify every death they stick in for cheap drama (as well as institute a policy of like for like-you whack a bunch of cult favourites, it's open season on your babies-looking at you, Hopeless).

McSpanky posted:

Oh man please tell me that's Logan's kid with Psylocke popping psychic claws there.
It's Logan's kid with Elektra, but Psylocke did teach her to do the psychic claws thing.

MC2 is literally The Greatest Thing in Comics.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 7, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As of Injustice: Year 3 #14, Tom Taylor is gone. He'll be replaced by Brian Buccellato.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

As of Injustice: Year 3 #14, Tom Taylor is gone. He'll be replaced by Brian Buccellato.

Welp, back to reading no DC books I guess.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

Oh man :smith:

Why DC didn't offererd him exclusivity? He's knocking out of the park on everything he does.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh man :smith:

Why DC didn't offererd him exclusivity? He's knocking out of the park on everything he does.

Well now he's just gonna go do good books for Marvel.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I'm not familiar with him; how good/bad is he? Should I just be disappointed, or outright worried?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Idran posted:

I'm not familiar with him; how good/bad is he? Should I just be disappointed, or outright worried?

He's done a good job on both Detective Comics and Flash but is certainly a stepdown from Taylor. At least isn't Marguerite Bennet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Senor Candle posted:

Well now he's just gonna go do good books for Marvel.

It's not all bad, then, I guess. :unsmith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

This is a terrible Elseworld!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Superman's horrified reaction in today's Injustice was perfect. Dude just doesn't realize how low he's gotten.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that was pretty cool, I'm not going to hang it up just yet on reading Injustice, it sucks that Taylor is off the books now but I think it'll still be a really interesting book to read. Also, holy poo poo that reveal this week of Batman agreed to Etrigran!! took me by complete surprise I was not expecting that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, what a cool reveal.

The idea of Batman siding with Hell against Superman, and that Superman immediately called him on it was fantastic. That look of sadness and betrayal on Superman's face though :smith:

Next issue is Tom Taylor's last, and I expect such an amazing piece.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 18, 2014

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's Logan's kid with Elektra, but Psylocke did teach her to do the psychic claws thing.

MC2 is literally The Greatest Thing in Comics.

I will note this was because in the main universe at the time Wolverine was dealing with this whole 'the animal is overtaking the man' thing and for some reason Elektra was hanging around him a lot because of her issues with the Hand and somesuch...so of course when they make the MC2 universe the writers put them together.

I mainly remember that was the time Wolverine was trying this new mask because he had no nose...yeah here we are.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that was pretty cool, I'm not going to hang it up just yet on reading Injustice, it sucks that Taylor is off the books now but I think it'll still be a really interesting book to read. Also, holy poo poo that reveal this week of Batman agreed to Etrigran!! took me by complete surprise I was not expecting that.

Etrigan probably didn't even have to be coerced into it after he heard that he'd have such a fantastic phrase to turn back, with a rhyme already built-in!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, this issue of Injustice :stare:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god why Tom Taylor, why are you leaving us? This book is so much better than it should be, I almost can't see anybody picking it up and doing as well.

Like, I think he just made me want to buy an Elseworld of an Elseworld. Taylor please come back to DC and write Injustice-ception: We have to go deeper.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That's really what has me worried. This should be poo poo, the whole set up is crap, it is so crap that when people told me it was good I wrote them off as Batman marks drooling over some evil Superman jerk fest. It took me almost a year to even pick it up and I did that as a laugh.

The fact this book wasn't hot garbage is probably in danger of violating some fundamental law of the universe I don't know about. Expecting it to be good after Taylor leaves is like expecting to win the lottery twice on the same day while curing cancer with hugs.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Tom Taylor is knocking this out of the park so hard...

Everything is perfect. Question came up while reading this issue, about the dust from last issue.

It's like aerosolized Black Mercy, right? If so, interesting how Superman's ideal has Joker being murdered by Batman. I know that basically every DC fan has thought at some point 'yeah if Batman should make an exception, Joker should be it' but for Superman to think and want that to happen instead of how it all went down.

I hope the next few issues aren't too heart breaking.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Oh my god why Tom Taylor, why are you leaving us? This book is so much better than it should be, I almost can't see anybody picking it up and doing as well.

Like, I think he just made me want to buy an Elseworld of an Elseworld. Taylor please come back to DC and write Injustice-ception: We have to go deeper.

I was coming to post just this. I've never been happier to see a dream sequence continue into another issue before.

Cassa posted:

Tom Taylor is knocking this out of the park so hard...

Everything is perfect. Question came up while reading this issue, about the dust from last issue.

It's like aerosolized Black Mercy, right? If so, interesting how Superman's ideal has Joker being murdered by Batman. I know that basically every DC fan has thought at some point 'yeah if Batman should make an exception, Joker should be it' but for Superman to think and want that to happen instead of how it all went down.

I hope the next few issues aren't too heart breaking.

It makes sense if you invoke dream logic. Superman's "seeing what he wants to see" so he's getting 1) a second chance to make things right while 2) his best friend symbolically redeems himself for his betrayal by doing what he "should have done" to avoid all this in the first place by 3) killing the sick gently caress who killed his wife and child and then turning himself in, achieving a conscience-clean revenge combo for Clark.

It's like when Batman briefly got hit by the Black Mercy in "What Do You Get For The Man Who Has Everything?" His "perfect world" wasn't just his parents not getting killed but his father punishing the killer for everything that happened afterwards, even though in the dream setting little Bruce was already spared the agony of their deaths. You get everything you want

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 24, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If it was going to happen, that's definitely how it would happen, especially the thing on the last page.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The real world/what's left of his conscience bleeding through should be fun then. I'm expecting his relationship with Lois to start breaking down, her reacting to him having done the stuff he's done in the real world despite being a dream Lois and such.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm guessing that the comatose Wonder Woman's dream self is going to show up and help liberate Superman's mind, leading to her own awakening.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This wasn't a terrible issue I didn't think, also Superman's dream was interesting also yes it's totally Black Mercy

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I think it's rather fascinating that Taylor insisted on ending his run in a Black Mercy dream sequence and decided, "I'm leaving this on a happy ending. I'll let the next guy grim it up."

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Yes, "it's a comic" but any suggestions on why the Spectre couldn't do anything?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Iggles posted:

Yes, "it's a comic" but any suggestions on why the Spectre couldn't do anything?

If is indeed the Black Mercy, the illusion can only be broken from the inside. Not being magical on nature also helps.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Superman just walking through the prison divider like it wasn't there was great.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I liked how Clark and Lois's daughter turned out artwise and character wise. Is that based on a previous character or just something Taylor came up with?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I thought that was pretty interesting that deep down Superman really did want to kill the Joker or see him die. It was a interesting way to leave the book that's for sure. Kind of curious about this next guy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I thought that was pretty interesting that deep down Superman really did want to kill the Joker or see him die. It was a interesting way to leave the book that's for sure. Kind of curious about this next guy.

Well to be fair, this is the Superman who's experienced the death of Metropolis at Joker's (via his) hands, so that is at least subconsciously reflecting in his dream state. Hell, Joker murdered Lois in Kingdom Come and Superman arrested the guy who killed him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is this going to come out next week? That wasn't the end was it of this year?

Also, how is Injustice doing? It's such a strange thing. Like who would have guessed this whole thing would have turned out so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate-O-Tron
Apr 1, 2007
I kinda doubt it's Black Mercy, since it came from Constantine, right? And it's something that even Spectre can't undo. Maybe he got Morpheus/Dream to do him a solid?

• Locked thread