Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
So the profile pages all say U.A instead of Yuuei. What could it stand for? Something Academy?

e: Tsuyu's tongue-lashing :allears:

cammy14 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

cammy14 posted:

So the profile pages all say U.A instead of Yuuei. What could it stand for? Something Academy?

Say "Yuuei" out loud :v:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Haha, love the glittering dramatic close up of All Might's sunken, beady little eyes

cammy14 posted:

Also this

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Regarding what the principle says, I'm sorta confused by which translation I've read is correct.

Both the English and Korean version has the principle comparing Hand Guy to students of the school, with a potential to grow.
In the English version, the principal says that if the school could give Hand Guy help... but then dismisses it as wishful and naive thinking.
In the Korean version, the principal says that if Hand Guy were to find some excellent backers / supporters... and then states that it's something he doesn't want to even think about.

Also in the English version, Ochako states that she's working at her family's construction company but in the Korea version it's her family that runs a construction company, and she doesn't say anything about working, only that she wanted to.

Can anyone with a knowledge of Japanese tell me which one's more accurate?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Man, I swear Uraraka just gets better with every chapter that focuses on her. I admittedly laughed when she wanted to be a hero for money, but wanting to support her family too is a really nice and admirable motivation for being a hero.

I really hope she doesn't get stuck being "the chick." That would suck.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Things I really loved about this chapter:

1) Grape Boy literally cannot stop staring at Yaoyorozu's boobs, in every single panel he's in.

2) Ochako's hilarious character profile page.

3) Mr. Cement teaching Japanese Lit.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There must be a weird Gattaca system with the quirks. If you're born super strong you go into construction or law enforcement. You wanted to be a musician? Too bad we've got 100 people with sonic powers that you'll never be able to compete with.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

There must be a weird Gattaca system with the quirks. If you're born super strong you go into construction or law enforcement. You wanted to be a musician? Too bad we've got 100 people with sonic powers that you'll never be able to compete with.

Hey man, you can't beat creativity. Unless that's also a superpower.

Also, the more I see All Might's true form, the more I think I'd have liked to read a comic about him in the 90's. He's a cool looking dude.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Also, the more I see All Might's true form, the more I think I'd have liked to read a comic about him in the 90's. He's a cool looking dude.

Also, his angry-face is loving terrifying. That's some genuine divine wrath right there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda hope Midoriya gets a decent looking transformation or simply doesn't transform at all when he starts properly controlling his power. Him becoming the weird shadow-silhouetted hulk with a chiseled face would kinda bug me.

I imagine he'll get to be a bit badass at one point during this festival but no way will he really demonstrate All-Might level power competently unless they're going to go with an angle where the other students realize exactly how powerful he is and react accordingly- like being jealous/angry/in awe of/etc him.

Hmm, I dunno, maybe they'll go with that. It'll certainly draw the eyes of the badguys too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I liked T&B and still sad they never got sequel for the anime. However does this feature long-winded battles which may or may not take up multiple chapters at a time? Because I don't have time for that :v:

For example, I liked Magi before it got all stuck with the flashbacks and annoying MAGIC battles featuring OP skills that never seem to work 100% to take out enemies. There's only so many special attacks I can take before I just wish I never started reading this.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

I kinda hope Midoriya gets a decent looking transformation or simply doesn't transform at all when he starts properly controlling his power. Him becoming the weird shadow-silhouetted hulk with a chiseled face would kinda bug me.

I imagine he'll get to be a bit badass at one point during this festival but no way will he really demonstrate All-Might level power competently unless they're going to go with an angle where the other students realize exactly how powerful he is and react accordingly- like being jealous/angry/in awe of/etc him.

Hmm, I dunno, maybe they'll go with that. It'll certainly draw the eyes of the badguys too.

I think the members Class 1A on a whole are too chill (with the exception of Bakugou) to be jealous of stronger students. No one has so far expressed any jealousy or dislike of A Boy of Ice and Fire (other than Bakugou), for instance.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Alder posted:

I liked T&B and still sad they never got sequel for the anime. However does this feature long-winded battles which may or may not take up multiple chapters at a time? Because I don't have time for that :v:

No, quite the contrary. The pacing on this manga is break-neck speed. My Hero Academia is not going to waste your time in the slightest. We're on chapter 22 and three story arcs have wrapped up already - getting into school, a showdown/backstory moment between the protagonist and his bully, and the school being invaded by an organized group of villains. It definitely isn't a string of special attacks over and over, because special attacks aren't even really a thing except for one or two people with powerful, limited use quirks.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Alder posted:

For example, I liked Magi before it got all stuck with the flashbacks and annoying MAGIC battles featuring OP skills that never seem to work 100% to take out enemies. There's only so many special attacks I can take before I just wish I never started reading this.

Well those long winded fights generally start popping up towards the middle and end of a series lifetime, so there's no 100% guarantee that Academia will end up the same way since it still hasn't even cleared 50 chapters. But what we have so far has been pretty nice and concise.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

HellCopter posted:

Music was a bad example. But I bet cement man would have a real tough time being a doctor when there's people that can instantly heal someone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

Isn't Midoriya unable to fully access to All For One right now? My understanding is that All Might still has most of the power but is slowly losing it to Midoriya. Midoriya is just so weak, compared to the power, that even the little bit he has is too much for him currently. The total body transformation probably only comes after you master limiting the amount of power you're using.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Gravity Girl's gameface half way through chapter 22.

This comic is just wonderful :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
"Maybe it's PM-" *gets smacked with Tsuyu's tongue*

Grape Boy and Frog Girl make a great duo. :allears:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

1) Grape Boy literally cannot stop staring at Yaoyorozu's boobs, in every single panel he's in.
Oh boy, wait until Mineta meets Topless Dominatrix Sensei.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just realized we finally saw Tape Guy out of his costume. Kinda goofy-looking dude.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DrSunshine posted:

Things I really loved about this chapter:

3) Mr. Cement teaching Japanese Lit.

His specialty is concrete poetry.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now they've raised the possibility of redeeming Shigaraki, it'd be nice to see them go through with it. Having all the villains be irredeemable monsters who must be destroyed is a bit jarring for such a happy, idealistic story.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just realized we finally saw Tape Guy out of his costume. Kinda goofy-looking dude.

I keep missing him, and forgetting who he is. Is he to the left of Hawkboy in the third panel?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yes

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Okay. :kiddo:

Speaking of Hawkboy, I wonder when we'll get to see him in action? What can he do, besides be a Hawk? All we've ever seen him do is stand there and look stoic.

Rivers
Jan 19, 2007
I think he had giant hands come out from his cape during the battle trial.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki's interesting, because on the one hand, as the last chapter indicated he's apparently meant to be some sort of symbol counter to All Might being the "Symbol of Peace", and apparently he's very effective as such. On the other hand, he's also, as stated here, something of a man-child and rather out of his mind, or at least ignorant and being misled by whoever was on those computers, as well as possibly an artificial being like Noumu is, which would explain things like his lack of records, the aforementioned personality stuff, and his general weirdness. On the third hand, which is probably one of the ones grabbing one of his arms, even with his being a man-child who is prone to standing around oozing malice rather than doing anything, he is ridiculously dangerous, and All Might's probably right that he would have killed him if the cavalry hadn't arrived then.

Topic of such, we've got confirmation that his quirk is disintegrating whatever he touches. That's a pretty nasty power, but also 100% offensive; it doesn't have weird utility like Bakugou's explosions or anything, it just murders what he grabs. In and of itself it's kind of lackluster in a way, since he needs to be able to get to a target and grab them long enough to destroy them in order to actually be effective. A sure-kill on someone you touch isn't worth much when so many people have ways of avoiding your touch or simply killing you first.

Of course, backed up by someone like Black Mist... That's a different story. Grab the back of someone's head from across the room and destroy their brainstem before they even notice what's going on and such. Kind of interesting, really, that the heroes' symbol is a one-man army (albeit one who is rapidly weakening), while the villains' one is extremely dependent on allies and tactics. All Might can crush almost anything in his way on his own, while Shigaraki needs the support of his soldiers and clever plans.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 24, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Maybe he gets whatever quirk he has from all those hands, in the same way Midoriya got All Might's power by consuming one of his hairs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Music was a bad example. But I bet cement man would have a real tough time being a doctor when there's people that can instantly heal someone.

That's an even worse example. A few people with amazing medical-oriented quirks wouldn't replace the need for normal doctors.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The best part was All Might jumping out from behind a corner and Uraraka's shocked/surprised expression.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Darth Walrus posted:

Now they've raised the possibility of redeeming Shigaraki, it'd be nice to see them go through with it. Having all the villains be irredeemable monsters who must be destroyed is a bit jarring for such a happy, idealistic story.

If they redeem him it would be the moment that shows that Midoriya can become the symbol of peace and become the new All Might.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Adnor posted:

If they redeem him it would be the moment that shows that Midoriya can become the symbol of peace and become the new All Might.

The only move that could possibly work is a Philadelphia Slam.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm waiting for an attack name that is unintentionally hilarious/offensive, like New Orleans Hurricane or something.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Texas Death Sentence.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ferguson Riots.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Ferguson Riots.

New York Crash.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Washington Redskins - It's a repeated slapping and/or spanking attack.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
You know, on page twenty, with the close up on All Might's eye, I at first thought it was showing some kind of spying device hidden in a dark corner. Then on the next page I saw and realized my mistake.

But now I'm going to wonder if there was a Blackmist aided intrusion and that's how Mr. Tablet was informed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You know, this won't be a proper superhero comic until at least one character dies and is resurrected/cloned/wished back by magic somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who's the student who gives a suspicious look when Iida mentions All-Might being interested in Deku's power?

A possible spy in the school for Facepalm and his boss?