Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's also the only one I haven't seen but I've heard it's poo poo.
It is. Apparently Die Hard is way better for being something else that gets repurposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's also the only one I haven't seen but I've heard it's poo poo.

loving White House Down is a better Die Hard film than A Good Day to Die Hard.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

drat, It's Such A Beautiful Day. drat.

As someone with an old-as-gently caress grandpa, this film hit me loving hard.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JohnSherman posted:

loving White House Down is a better Die Hard film than A Good Day to Die Hard.

White House Down is dope though?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It is. Apparently Die Hard is way better for being something else that gets repurposed.

I love that even the Sega Die Hard game was originally a Streets of Rage game.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

mr. stefan posted:

White House Down is dope though?

I think you mean Olympus Has Fallen

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

A MIRACLE posted:

Olympus Has Fallen was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A MIRACLE posted:

I know what I loving wrote.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

They were both fun in completely different ways.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

I love that even the Sega Die Hard game was originally a Streets of Rage game.

And it kicks rear end.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ghetto wormhole posted:

Olympus Has Fallen was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Are you nuts? I thought it was loving great, and yeah it's a great Die Hard movie but that's a compliment. White House Down felt like a really cheap knockoff by comparison.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are you nuts? I thought it was loving great, and yeah it's a great Die Hard movie but that's a compliment. White House Down felt like a really cheap knockoff by comparison.

Right but Netflix only has Olympus Has Fallen, meaning that film is the knock off.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And it kicks rear end.

Is that the arcade game where you beat the poo poo out of people with like busted mop handles and pepper spray? That game owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To my knowledge it's the first modern instance of "quick time events".

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Channing Tatum > Gerard Butler

I never thought we'd be at this point as a society, but here we are.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

White House Down isn't streaming anywhere is it?

I had heard Olympus has Fallen was poo poo and had been skipping it on Netflix so far.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought Olympus Has Fallen was extremely excellent, I really have no idea where the hate comes from. Like others have said, the movie is essentially Die Hard. However, I thought White House Down was boring, predictable trash despite having the same premise. I mean, they literally stick Channing Tatum in a white tank top. So many cringeworthy moments "do the thing", Channing Tatum's argument with a squirrel, the tour guide, every scene with the kid, the jordans, the moment with the bad guy's wife... what a terrible movie. I honestly think it's Jamie Foxx's worst role. He tries so hard to come off as likable that I just don't believe it for an instant. It felt like a parody of something.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 24, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Olympus Has Fallen is extremely awesome and would be a great movie to watch with your family tonight. Your Republican dad will even like it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The tour guide in White House Down is amazing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Not Netflix but Google Play Movies has "The Interview".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought Olympus Has Fallen was dope and a great homage to Die Hard, while White House Down tried too hard and ended up being no fun at all :shobon:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

White House Down was OK, but the good bits were saved by Tatum being really great.

I liked Olympus Has Fallen a lot more, but only for the fact it was a better Die Hard movie than the Die Hard movie that came out a month before. gently caress A Good Day to Die Hard. Garbage trash of the lowest level.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought they were both fun movies.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is up on US Netflix. I haven't watched it yet, so I have no idea if I just put coal in your stocking or not... ho ho... ho?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I haven't watched too many movies this year, but Locke is my favorite of 2014. Check it out on Amazon Prime. It is the tightest movie of the year both in story and theme, as well as pacing. Absolutely fantastic. If you liked Cosmopolitan then this movie will definitely scratch that itch.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

mysterious frankie posted:

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is up on US Netflix. I haven't watched it yet, so I have no idea if I just put coal in your stocking or not... ho ho... ho?

I remember liking it, plus it was nice to see a PA movie not focused on upper-class white people. And the ending was pretty :krad:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's actually really well done and far better than any of the core numbered movies in the series.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's actually really well done and far better than any of the core numbered movies in the series.

I know opinions are subjective, but no, this is a wrong opinion.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It's pretty okay. It's probably the second best of the series proper (third best if you include Tokyo Night). It's not amazing but it's at least a change of pace from a series of films that seem content to do the same slow build over and over and over.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Seven years in Tibet:

An amazing film with great character development, a really well played dali lama, all around great adventure and one loving kickass ending that rounds out a character being molded the entire film.

The bad part? Brad Pitt doing an Arnult impression the entire film. Which is completely offset by: Brad Pitt

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I know opinions are subjective, but no, this is a wrong opinion.
I mean, it's a wrong opinion if you're perfectly content with watching several movies worth of spooky security camera footage with no real variation....

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
If you really hate it so much just go watch Blair Witch Project. It's better and on instant as well.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Marked Ones reminded me of Afflicted & Chronicle; not so scary or tense, but fun. Plus I'm a sucker for how found footage films can present themselves as faux pop ethnography.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm trying to watch Under the Skin and I don't think even ScoJo boobs are going to get me through this in one sitting. Like, it's shot really well and has a few great scenes but I'm like 3/4 of the way through and it's just so slow and non sensical that I keep getting distracted.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

To everyone in this thread who recommended The Double—thank you! That movie rocked. Was a little confused by the ending but a quick wiki search cleared that up.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm trying to watch Under the Skin and I don't think even ScoJo boobs are going to get me through this in one sitting. Like, it's shot really well and has a few great scenes but I'm like 3/4 of the way through and it's just so slow and non sensical that I keep getting distracted.

Where'd you find it? It's not streaming on Netflix, sadly.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/Under%20the%20Skin

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whoops it's on Amazon prime. Thought it was Netflix.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

NESguerilla posted:

I have similar opinions of Under The Skin as to the ones I have about Skyfall. Both are nice to look at, shot well, neat hooks, but boring as all god damned hell. Like the space ship scenes were cool to watch, but everything else was me just waiting for them to happen again.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Whoops it's on Amazon prime. Thought it was Netflix.

It's on Netflix Canada. Change your DNS or get an unblocker.

https://netflixaroundtheworld.com/Under%20the%20skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

NESguerilla posted:

That is almost precisely the review I wrote in TFD, although I saw it in a theater and did get through it in one sitting. Saw it opening week and, counting me, there were 6 people in the theater. Two of them - fully 1/3 of the audience - walked out.

• Locked thread